Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

raditts posted:

Where did the whole "aversion to magic" thing come about in general Christian ideology, anyway? I don't think I've ever read the Bible in its entirety, but I've read at least a good 75% or so of it over the years and I've never seen anything really suggesting "MAGIC = EVIL" aside from I guess bad guys using magic.

A lot of the Old Testament was written in the context of henotheism, AKA there are a lot of gods around but you're not allowed to worship any of them but Jehovah otherwise he's going to go all abusive husband on you. Early Israelite religion seems to have operated like that and only later changed to pure monotheism. Magic would presumably be granted by one of the competing gods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Random Stranger posted:

You weren't paying attention. That line about "not suffering a witch to live" is from Exodus. And in Deuteronomy there's this : "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead." Of course, the Old Testament also contains a lot of rules that aren't followed and modern Christianity likes to pick and choose which ones they get to use.

Well then.

quote:

Biblically, magic is a real thing that pops up all the time in the narrative. The Witch of Endor is the best known one because she summons the ghost of a dead prophet to come back and tell one of the kings what's up (Christians have to do some real flexing to fit that in with their concept of the afterlife).

To be fair, different sects of Christianity can't seem to agree on what the afterlife is like. A lot of people seem to subscribe to the "you go straight to heaven/hell when you die" concept but growing up as an SDA we'd always taken the "dead are sleeping" bit to mean that when you die you stay dead until the end times where everyone gets yanked up at the same time (barring the odd resurrection, of course).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mordiceius posted:

I will also pop in to say that this book super owns and Reza Aslan is a cool dude.

For posterity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt1cOnNrY5s

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

JC Superstar is mad cornball but is a great watch. Pasolini has already been mentioned.

I'm late on this but there's also Rossellini's The Flowers of St Francis which is one of my favorite movies ever.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/30xelu/i_am_the_real_hercules_and_the_first_captain/

Kevin Sorbo is doing an AMA and is not getting the kinds of questions I suspect he'd like.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If I was on Reddit I'd tell him how much I enjoyed that video we watched in health class that he had a cameo in. In it he declared that he was "Hercules, DAMNIT!", and then made some vague threat about coming to my house if I did drugs. 10 years later I still haven't done any drugs so I'd say he was successful. I haven't really liked his career since then though.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I do drugs all the time and Sorbo has never visited me. :( Yet another lie I was told by DARE. (The worst one was that smoking just a little bit of weed would give me visuals. The worst disappointment of my teenage years.)

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
Is Don't Blink some sort of Christian movie? I just finished watching it and from the beginning it totally looked like some sort of rapture movie, but the ending was open. There were so many unanswered questions.

E: potential spoiler.

ToeShoes fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 2, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Cognac McCarthy posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/30xelu/i_am_the_real_hercules_and_the_first_captain/

Kevin Sorbo is doing an AMA and is not getting the kinds of questions I suspect he'd like.

I always just feel bad for the celebrities when this happens

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Hat Thoughts posted:

I always just feel bad for the celebrities when this happens

I find it quite cathartic. Like a play by Sophocles about someone being undone by their own hubris. Not coincidentally the word "cathartic" is Greek in origin. Also "hubris." Also most derivations of the New Testament.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

JC Superstar is mad cornball but is a great watch. Pasolini has already been mentioned.

Watching Jesus Christ Superstar on Good Friday was a family tradition growing up. Just finished watching it tonight and I still love it. All those loving shirtless vests :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvVr2uks0C8

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gils posted:

Watching Jesus Christ Superstar on Good Friday was a family tradition growing up. Just finished watching it tonight and I still love it. All those loving shirtless vests :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvVr2uks0C8
Hippies ruin everything.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

Hippies ruin brilliant everything.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Last night, several friends and I went to an Easter musical thing. It was very well-done, and the worst thing I can say it that it was fairly boring. During many of the performances, they showed silent clips from whatever the LDS Church's film about Jesus is called. I thought that was pretty interesting. Both the film and the musical fell into the trap of making Judas look like a creep, though. There was no portrayal of Christ in the musical, which I thought was an interesting choice. The film was used to fill in the blanks, and that Jesus wore a lot of bright white clothing.

After, we realized that most of us had spent the time wishing we were watching Jesus Christ: Superstar.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I'll just leave this here
https://youtu.be/KQWUEJh-SVk

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Schizotek posted:

e: Did anybody growing up in a fundie household ever have to watch that movie about the AtheistHippy Universalist Doctor who kills himself (but has somebody on standby to revive him) to see what the afterlife is like and goes to hell? Shows a bunch of "good people" (BUT THEY WERENT THE RIGHT KIND OF CHRISTIAN SO gently caress EM) burning down there in some weird tour given by a demon.

Crossposting from D&D Politoons thread. I'm trying to track this movie down but google is failing me pretty hard. I saw it as a teenager at my old horrid Southern Baptist church sometime between 2004 and 2008 I think. Dude end's up getting revived successfully but the demon follows him from hell as a shadow that... doesn't really do anything but he goes to a church where a pastor sends the demon back to hell and the doctor converts. Production qualities somewhere between middle school project and early Sci-Fi channel original.

e: Found it. The part from here to 1h10m is the real meat and potatoes of the film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9AqvfrkhyA&t=3547s

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 6, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am a little more than halfway through God's Not Dead and I didn't think this movie would actually make me mad. It's actually making me angry. It's the wrongest movie to ever be wrong.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Croisquessein posted:

I love how the poster seems to be illustrating the undeniable ancestral link between humans and apes, and that's apparently the opposite of what they meant.

I have never in my life felt motivated to educate other people on something I am aware I know nothing about, I don't get why people who do not even understand the mechanisms of evolution get the idea they're going to school everybody on why it's bullshit.

Because they think they do know all about it because of what they've been told by religious twits that don't know anything about it. It's really common. They want to believe in God and creation and all that jazz so some quack like Hovind or Ham pop up and write a bunch of bullshit papers/reports on why some idea that conflicts is wrong (see the creation museum for 'facts') and these dolts eat it up because god is real and science must be wrong because God and their specific religion can't be wrong.

ChickenMedium posted:

That will never happen because the people making these movies don't give a poo poo. They are in it to make a buck, and making the movies good would cut into their profit margins. Plus, the people who are buying the tickets don't want "good" they want "reinforces my own beliefs" with a side of "sticking it to Hollywood/liberals/atheists."

This is all you need to know when it comes to evangical movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Mind posted:

And now Answers In Genesis is coming out with their own Strawman Atheist Professor movie, starring Harry Anderson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ6bUfOVf1g

The teacher comes across as perfectly reasonable and the Christians comes across a petty assholes though.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Has any creationist ever expressed understanding of the difference between abiogenesis and evolution?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I watched this last night and it changed my life.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Star Man posted:

I am a little more than halfway through God's Not Dead and I didn't think this movie would actually make me mad. It's actually making me angry. It's the wrongest movie to ever be wrong.

I think by the movie's logic, that makes God's Not Dead a true story.

(The big winning argument in the movie is "How can you hate something that doesn't exist?", completely missing the fundamental concept of fiction.)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Random Stranger posted:

(The big winning argument in the movie is "How can you hate something that doesn't exist?", completely missing the fundamental concept of fiction.)

The one that really got me was the kid saying you can ask how the universe was created but not how God was created because...well he never actually says why.

But I think the thing I hated the most was Kevin Sorbo's character. He's a caricature of an atheist that only is one because he's mad at God and he converts on his deathbed. But the worst part is how he's such a flippant atheist that he tries to force his class to adopt his worldview on a freshman class or else they fail. That's some fuckin bullshit.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Per synopsis and youtube clips of God's Not Dead, I have concluded that the film is bad in part because there are no real stakes.

I'm going to reference my earlier post on types of death; thread newcomers can see the posts by clicking the ? under my avatar.

First type of death: actual death. Never on the table.

Second type of death: social death, eg, public humiliation, being cast out from society, etc. The fact that once the protagonist trounces his erratic hysterical atheist professor in a debate everyone stands and claps shows that everyone was on the main character's side the whole time (it appears that throughout the film we also see that nobody likes the prof; they all think he's an rear end in a top hat.) Even if the main character lost the debate, failed the class, whatever, everyone would have still admired him and thought he was brave or some bullshit.

Third type of death: spiritual death, losing one's faith or becoming a broken person - again, never on the table. Though I haven't seen the movie, cursory research shows that the main character never wavers in his faith. The threat of failing a college course is not enough to make him consider atheism. Which is great because half of my college chums failed at least one class and that didn't turn any of them into shambling wrecks (at least, not any more of a shambling wreck then some of them already were :2bong: )

So yeah in essence the story is about a bright, untroubled young man, supported by his community and self-confident, driving some pathetic crazy person into a nervous breakdown and then the pathetic crazy person dies, but not before conceding that the main character was totally awesome and right about everything.

Yep, that reminds me of that really great story I like. It's about the guy who succeeds at everything, then he does a good job. The end.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Has any creationist ever expressed understanding of the difference between abiogenesis and evolution?

They're generally known as Catholics.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Personally, I really hope they make that movie version of Reza Aslan's Zealot. The reaction alone would be worth it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

computer parts posted:

They're generally known as Catholics.

For some reason this reminded me of Catholic Sunday school, and the closest thing we ever saw to a "Christian film" was Leap of Faith with Steve Martin and Debra Winger. And one time the discussion leader (I really can't even call them "teachers", it was a pretty informal group talk format) showed us the scene from Amadeus where Salieri reveals that his envy for Mozart's talent ran so deep that he cursed God for wasting it on such a foppish idiot, threw his crucifix in a fire and said "now you and I are enemies".

Yeah, papists are pretty much in league with Satan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Random Stranger posted:

God's Not Dead is based on actual events except in the movie the atheist professor is slapped by a car instead of a heroic Marine.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm here to recommend a good Christian film streaming on Netflix: Something, Anything

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Alhazred posted:

The teacher comes across as perfectly reasonable and the Christians comes across a petty assholes though.

The best part of this trailer is the cut to two student athletes; 'She's one of the cutest freshmen we've seen!'

I hope there is a significant subplot as to how her attractiveness raises the stakes for her dad bickering with her professor

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

K. Waste posted:

I'm here to recommend a good Christian film streaming on Netflix: Something, Anything

Bruce Almighty is actually a really good religious film that also isn't up its rear end about the message. I dunno if it's on Netflix though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

K. Waste posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Saved! is one of my favorite films with a religious theme/setting/message

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
If we're back to talking about good Christian or Christian themed films, I've always felt that Don Bluth's 80's output* is mostly pretty good about advocating values without being too in-your-face about it. Namely, there's the importance of honesty and virtue in the face of blind ambition in The Secret of NIMH, the importance of community and kindness to strangers in An American Tail, the allusion of the soul's journey to Heaven/the Promised Land in The Land Before Time, and the salvation of the wicked through love/grace in All Dogs Go to Heaven... and pretty much all of them emphasize the power and importance of faith when times get tough (and Mr. Bluth, if you recall, was not afraid to show times getting very tough...) It might not count, since as I said, none of these are explicitly Christian, but they certainly had an effect on my spiritual development growing up, so I say they count. So there, I guess.

*Well, the movies, at least; if there are any overtly Christian messages in Space Ace or the Dragon's Lair series, I missed them.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Do Tyler Perry's movies get positive feedback from evangelicals? The messages in his film reflect a standard conservative Christian morality, and his characters fit into distinct "GOOD" and "EVIL" categories. But, his films nonetheless tend to look good and are much better constructed as movies than most of the poo poo listed in here. I grew up with evangelicals and know a lot of conservative Christians on Facebook, but I never see them talking about Perry. I have a suspicion that it's about race (duh), but still. It seems odd that white Christians haven't boarded the Perry-train.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tyler Perry flies with evangelicals yes. Some of them. You'll always find some one or some group who is striving real hard towards that weird perversion of asceticism you see in a lot of christian groups. For everyone else, Tyler Perry has a captive audience of people who literally fear for their souls if they watch something less than wholesome.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Basically, you can make a comfortable living for yourself making Christian-targeted films that look better than a high school AV club production, feature passable acting, and don't challenge your audience's worldview very much.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Alhazred posted:

Can you imagine such a thing?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Xibanya posted:

Per synopsis and youtube clips of God's Not Dead, I have concluded that the film is bad in part because there are no real stakes.

I'm going to reference my earlier post on types of death; thread newcomers can see the posts by clicking the ? under my avatar.

First type of death: actual death. Never on the table.

Second type of death: social death, eg, public humiliation, being cast out from society, etc. The fact that once the protagonist trounces his erratic hysterical atheist professor in a debate everyone stands and claps shows that everyone was on the main character's side the whole time (it appears that throughout the film we also see that nobody likes the prof; they all think he's an rear end in a top hat.) Even if the main character lost the debate, failed the class, whatever, everyone would have still admired him and thought he was brave or some bullshit.

Third type of death: spiritual death, losing one's faith or becoming a broken person - again, never on the table. Though I haven't seen the movie, cursory research shows that the main character never wavers in his faith. The threat of failing a college course is not enough to make him consider atheism. Which is great because half of my college chums failed at least one class and that didn't turn any of them into shambling wrecks (at least, not any more of a shambling wreck then some of them already were :2bong: )

So yeah in essence the story is about a bright, untroubled young man, supported by his community and self-confident, driving some pathetic crazy person into a nervous breakdown and then the pathetic crazy person dies, but not before conceding that the main character was totally awesome and right about everything.

Yep, that reminds me of that really great story I like. It's about the guy who succeeds at everything, then he does a good job. The end.

The protagonist does actually face a flaw and overcomes it: Josh has a girlfriend, Kara, who's got their lives all planned out, and at the start of the film he is content to go along with what she wants. (This is a flaw because obeying God's Will For Your LifeTM is everyone's proper purpose in evangelical Christianity - when your loved ones' desires and God's WillTM conflict, you have to go with GWFYLTM. Also a relationship where the woman is in a position of authority over the man contradicts the doctrine of male headship - see Ephesians 5:23 and 1 Corinthians 11:3.) When Raddison introduces his class requirement, Josh recognizes that God wants him to reject atheism and witness to the class, but that putting his grade on the line interferes with Kara's plans for him - he has to choose between GWFYLTM and Kara's. Josh delays that choice by preparing for the debate behind Kara's back, but when she catches and confronts him with her ultimatum, he ends up making the right decision and breaks up with her instead of disobeying God.

e: Also, Josh doesn't necessarily know that everyone will follow him in accepting God - yes, the students don't like Raddison's bullying behavior, but they go along with their professor's wishes because they are afraid of the consequences he can inflict on them (i.e. a bad grade and the "social death" that comes with being labeled an idiot.) When Josh defeats Raddison in the debate, he breaks Raddison's power over the students and they are free to openly embrace God.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 10, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
But were any of the three varieties of death ever on the table for the protagonist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yes, spiritual death - if he rejects God's call to righteousness, Josh will have to live with his cowardice for the rest of his mortal life. If he succumbs to Raddison's atheism and does not repent before his death, he may even earn eternal torment in Hell! (The Book of Revelation repeatedly refers to that fate as "the second death.")

• Locked thread