Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Obviously it should be called Awful2. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Awful does not need to be some web3.0 wankfest. It just needs to not be as useless as using the site in Safari.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Awful does not need to be some web3.0 wankfest. It just needs to not be as useless as using the site in Safari.
Dear god yes. The forums are primarily text, and Web 3.0 is all about wasting space + bolded titles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know, the quality of conversation might improve around here if some google ai routine is writing all the posts. :v:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I'd change about Awful would be Safari style UI hiding while you scroll and search. If it was just me this was for I'd go all the way and turn it into something like Unread, which is a feed reader that hides everything but feed content, but that's me.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
That design takes up way too much space for avatars and usernames. I know people like things looking nice, but that's straight up a waste of vertical space.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

pokeyman posted:

Do you have straight-on fullscreen mocks instead of these angled far-away things? I can't really comment on them because I can't see them.

Sure do! I'll post a link to my dropbox once I'm at my office.

Edit: here's the initial psd+jpg file, will add more stuff later tonight

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2bk90b2otl4s1e1/AABb_pPUEn_DCpVT03Zkfqipa?dl=0

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 7, 2015

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

awesome-express posted:

Sure do! I'll post a link to my dropbox once I'm at my office.

Edit: here's the initial psd+jpg file, will add more stuff later tonight

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2bk90b2otl4s1e1/AABb_pPUEn_DCpVT03Zkfqipa?dl=0

My main question for these is: How do I know when I'm at the end of a thread, or at the end of a page? That's something we've struggled with a lot in Awful, with no satisfactory resolution so far.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I think the real question is how is the Watch app going?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Drastic Actions posted:

Oh I'm working on that. Give me a month or two and I'll have something(.app) worth showing. :getin:

Are you actually working on some secret new awful? Only because working with pokeyman on whatever code base is probably waaayyyyyy more beneficial then this lone wolf stuff.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

pokeyman posted:

This is what's pushing me towards a rewrite. And to be fair, the technical debt is 98% my doing, I've made some pretty dumb decisions because "it's a free app that is critical to nobody's mission, so who cares what breaks" is too often my first thought. But if we're going to seriously look at some new design, I don't want to untangle Awful to make it happen, and if it scares you off too then that's another good reason to look seriously at a rewrite.

Again, I'm not announcing Something.app or anything (yet) but it's a possibility and y'all should feel free to dream.

I like Awful.app visually as it is. :(

Please don't look to Alien Blue for inspiration, its ugly.

I like the cold, functional feel of Awful. It does the job well as is. The bars disappearing ala Safari while scrolling would be nice, but otherwise its good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How feasible is it to pull the scraping/pseudo-API stuff out into its own library? That would give me less reason to put off my React Native experiment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snuffman posted:

Please don't look to Alien Blue for inspiration, its ugly.

It's also a lot of crazy ideas that are super progressive and experimental that make the app really clumsy to use. Experimenting with UI design is fine and all, but you can't throw away everything familiar without really good justification.

I like Awful because it works like the forum and fits in well with the iOS ecosystem. There's no surprises which I guess might not be super exciting to program for but in terms of usability it's about as good as it gets.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Dave posted:

Are you actually working on some secret new awful? Only because working with pokeyman on whatever code base is probably waaayyyyyy more beneficial then this lone wolf stuff.

Kinda. I have a .NET forums library that I'm working on, and I want to see it running on every platform I can. That's why I made that SAclopedia app awhile back (which I'm also kinda rewriting, this time with a native UI). The biggest issue with an iOS Awful Forums Reader at the moment is setting up the UI and handling the web views, since that stuff is actually specific to the platform. The rest is handled by my library.

It's built on C#, with a PCL underbelly so I can share as much code as I can across platforms. The new Webviews I'm working on are going to be templates on top of Bootstrap, so it can be used across tablets and phones.

Note that it looks like poo poo at the moment and needs a lot of work.

The iOS and potentially Android versions are build with Xamarin, and again, it's in C#. So there's nothing you can really use from it. Unless you guys really want to start writing C#, in which case I'm glad to help ;).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have a lot of pretty tame ideas I'd love to mock up:

- New action sheets AGAIN! Wondering if it should just be a giant non-default select that takes over the whole view, ala options in spotify

- Bookmark colors are ugly, a design was made to solve this, it's been awhile since I've even seen it.

- Having a 0 when no new posts has started to bother me, I think it should just be like a bullet dot or nothing at all.

- All of the formatting options shouldn't live within the thread. They are global options so they should be in the global settings.

- Replies appearing like iOS8 mail compositions, being able to swipe them down to hide them and reference the thread, then swipe it up to add more.

I had a meeting in the middle of writing this so I might have missed some things.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

- All of the formatting options shouldn't live within the thread. They are global options so they should be in the global settings.

Font scale is in-thread so you can see the effect of a change without annoying settings<->forum switching until you get it right. Could put sample text in the settings pane to that effect as well I guess.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ahh yes that reasoning makes sense and I think your solution could fix that.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

pokeyman posted:

My main question for these is: How do I know when I'm at the end of a thread, or at the end of a page? That's something we've struggled with a lot in Awful, with no satisfactory resolution so far.

There's a couple of ways to approach that. IMO the best is to show some sort of visual hint that the page is over. See the SA grenade at the bottom? It would be a cool effect to animate it to explode when you pull to refresh/goto next page.

You can also collate page-related actions into a primary action button like so:

http://www.burjanec.com/awful/ (web animation, loops)

Oh and here are some alt designs:

And here are all three designs in a device shell

quote:

I think the real question is how is the Watch app going?

I've designed a bunch for some big companies, it would actually be fun to make one for SA :v:

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 7, 2015

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

What's the T... in the bottom of the formatting menu?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There's so much wasted space in those mockups. While that might work for something like a sports score app, something that's supremely text heavy like SA should consume space with content. In other words, I shouldn't tire out my thumb long from scrolling just to get through one page of posts, which seem like it might happen with those mockups.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
SA feels like one of the great last refuges from the idea of style over functionality. awesome-express, your mock looks nice, but there's just so much wasted space at the top of every post. One of the failings of the desktop version of the site is a large avatar/username/subtitle for a one-line comment (like the post two above this one - no fault to baram but look at how much dead space there is) that just spreads the pages out needlessly. The current awful app (the android one does this too, to be fair) condenses that information intelligently.

The whole idea of prettifying something and putting that above a dense delivery of information is pervasive enough in my apps and websites, let's try and collective attempt to keep it away from SA and the app, yeah?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

That feels very androidy/material designy. Don't crop avs into circles just because everyone else has a boner for round avatars.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

How feasible is it to pull the scraping/pseudo-API stuff out into its own library? That would give me less reason to put off my React Native experiment.

It already "is", but I can't really recommend that anybody try to use it, because it's all ugly core data junk. But check out the Core target on the master branch.

baram. posted:

What's the T... in the bottom of the formatting menu?

Themes. I've hosed up some constraints somewhere.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If I was redesigning posts view it might honestly look like more of a reskin than anything else. This is without much thought and playing the contrast game very dangerously:

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
While I think Awful could use a new coat of paint, I just want to say it's way more usable and better looking than the turd that is the Awful android app. I appreciate everyone that contributes to that project, but poo poo's ugly.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And action sheet idea that I 100% stole from dropbox:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

That's about as far as I'd go to redesign it. The thread view layout is not really where the app needs attention at this point.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The app's design works well for what it does. It mimics the forums while adjusting for touch screen devices. Awesome-express design looks pretty but seems like it would be better suited for reddit or twitter.

I like those tweaks you made The Dave but I don't think you need to change the post box color to grey; unless you think you need to distinguish more between the post box and the top/bottom button bars.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
The only suggestion I'd have for thread view is to remove the joined date, move the post date under the name instead, and the post dots to the right of the username. You only start running into space issues at text size +140% or so, even in portrait mode, and it gives more screen real estate for the posts themselves.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That would actually be the old layout. I know the motivations I had for moving them were 1) wanting to get more forum data in the all (join date) and more importantly 2) al of those post actions are post-thread actions. Semantically, you shouldn't have quoting before you even ready the post.

I do think the user actions menu can be more like a mini profile with larger avatar and avatar text. Maybe I'll mock that up tonight.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh also I went with grey because I modeled the colors after a desktop .css theme I made and enjoy, also didn't know if it would help be less harsh in low light.

How a user actions menu could look, though using the username in the actual action labels is probably unrealistic.

EDIT: Also didn't put much thought into the icon sizing, did this when I got into work after all.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 8, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

From another thread in which awful.app complaints were raised:

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

when quoting posts, the text of the quote used to appear instantly, now it takes several seconds

swiping up for control center counts as a tap and takes you into the private messages "tab"

the app loads into the bookmarks screen in an ambiguous refresh state

when you mark a post as "thread read up to this point" there used to be a little popup confirming the action, now i have to squint and see if the post changed to a slightly darker color (a big problem with the system 7 mac-yospos theme)

Also "jump to post within thread" from just-their-posts view.

Probably all on the list, but for completeness etc.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
It seems like I'm in the minority but I think the mock up awesome express posted is a much better design than the current implementation. I would love to see the app go that direction.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

mike- posted:

It seems like I'm in the minority but I think the mock up awesome express posted is a much better design than the current implementation. I would love to see the app go that direction.

Yeah, I mostly agree. I don't like the round avatars, and I'd rather not ditch the blue for green, but otherwise I think it looks great.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

If I was redesigning posts view it might honestly look like more of a reskin than anything else. This is without much thought and playing the contrast game very dangerously:

Maybe details, but in that it looks like the quoted text in the second post is farther from the post's header than is the text of the preceding post. I think you want the visual relationship to be the other way.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I guess the problem there is the left border is the same distance, but thinking about it I guess there's no need for that block quote to have top/bottom padding.

I also didn't really mention that the bottom full circle would just be a stroked circle when not on the last page. Maybe even fill it by % of post read if you want to get wild (may not read well though).

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I can't upload any images at all using the [img] option from the copy menu. Guessing this is an 8.3 issue as I just updated. Selecting [img] immediately crashed to springboard.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So is the Watch app ready? I need to access my forums while exercising.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

awesome-express posted:

There's a couple of ways to approach that. IMO the best is to show some sort of visual hint that the page is over. See the SA grenade at the bottom? It would be a cool effect to animate it to explode when you pull to refresh/goto next page.

That's cool. The trick we've run into before is distinguishing between "end of page" and "end of thread". Or, put another way, whether pulling will refresh (because it's the last page) or advance to the next page. Though maybe that's not a useful distinction.

Overall I think your designs are quite pleasing, and I'd love to try them out in the app and play with them. I should really bring back the ol' custom CSS stuff, it'd get us 90% of the way there.

The Dave posted:

And action sheet idea that I 100% stole from dropbox:

I like this too.

Subjunctive posted:

From another thread in which awful.app complaints were raised

Thanks! Always happy to have stuff repeated at me. I tend to fix things that bother me and quickly forget about things that bother everyone else.

IllegallySober posted:

I can't upload any images at all using the [img] option from the copy menu. Guessing this is an 8.3 issue as I just updated. Selecting [img] immediately crashed to springboard.

Yep, I gotta take a good look at that stuff. It Is Broken.

Jose Oquendo posted:

So is the Watch app ready? I need to access my forums while exercising.

I'm trying to picture some kind of exercise that's immobile enough to be looking at the forums, but in a setting where a phone or an iPad doesn't work. I'm failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

I'm trying to picture some kind of exercise that's immobile enough to be looking at the forums, but in a setting where a phone or an iPad doesn't work. I'm failing.
Probably you are resting between exercises and don't want to carry your phone with you while exercising.

• Locked thread