Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Ornithopter + Thopter Foundry + Ironworks + Enduring Renewal + Fireball does something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Illness in the Ranks just destroys the deck too, right?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i mean it hoses the combo but the point of thoptersword was that it was a combo you could put into a tezzeret-based artifact control deck that both shut down aggro and worked as a decent win condition

if you were running thoptersword in a tezzeret u/b or esper shell you'd just cut the combo for another win con in that slot if someone went after the combo w/ enough sb slots.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

The hoodies aren't that bad except for the pro tour thing on the back.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

i mean it hoses the combo but the point of thoptersword was that it was a combo you could put into a tezzeret-based artifact control deck that both shut down aggro and worked as a decent win condition

if you were running thoptersword in a tezzeret u/b or esper shell you'd just cut the combo for another win con in that slot if someone went after the combo w/ enough sb slots.

Y'know what unban it because if nothing else I want Tezzeret to be a good card

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Drafting DTK is 20 bucks on MTGO? It's usually 15 or so at my various local game stores. Or am I doing this wrong?

Taking my RDW list to another LGS tourney tonight. I've been siding out the wild slashes for Eidolons against control decks, and then I end up liking them and don't have any idea where to put the Citadel Sieges. The lightning berzerkers? This list isn't exact to what I have because I added a mountain at the last second last time and took out 1 berserker, I believe. But in my play against roommates the extra mountain came out way too much so probably go back down to 20 with 1 in the sideboard? Take out 1 zurgo and the 4 zerkers for the sieges and the wild slashes for the Eidolons? Sideboarding is hard. I do still want one or two of those creature +2/+2 temples and maybe go G/R with Atarka's Command? But then I have to buy a lot more land.

20 Spells
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Wild Slash
4 Dragon Fodder

20 Creatures
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Lightning Berserker
3 Goblin Heelcutter
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Zurgo Bellstriker

Sideboard:
4 Roast
1 Mountain
4 Outpost Siege
2 Twin Bolt
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

After doing tons of testing with it, Lightning Berserker is an absolute loving house against control so I wouldn't tear it out. Dash means they always have to 1-for-1 and that's pretty attractive when most control decks basically just try to live to 5/6 when they can start getting value out of sweepers.

Dump Heelcutters to the board against control, it's not like you're using them there anyways.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Mikujin posted:

After doing tons of testing with it, Lightning Berserker is an absolute loving house against control so I wouldn't tear it out. Dash means they always have to 1-for-1 and that's pretty attractive when most control decks basically just try to live to 5/6 when they can start getting value out of sweepers.

Dump Heelcutters to the board against control, it's not like you're using them there anyways.

I love when aggro decks dash things: they don't have persistent threats sure but it gives me a free chance every turn to counter them as w/u control.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Dohaeris posted:

Drafting DTK is 20 bucks on MTGO? It's usually 15 or so at my various local game stores. Or am I doing this wrong?

Let's round up and say that boosters are about 3.75 each from bots, + two tickets that's $13.25.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
am I the only one freaking out about the picture of the dragon destroying Brussels this makes me sad

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

dragon enthusiast posted:

am I the only one freaking out about the picture of the dragon destroying Brussels this makes me sad

I thought it owned pretty hard and hope they do it for more stuff.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dohaeris posted:

Drafting DTK is 15 if you buy all of it from the store. Drafts aren't typically nearly that much if you buy it from bots, but since DTK came out like 5 minutes ago, its only like 2 bucks cheaper, but it will get cheaper and cheaper. Packs of KTK are under 2 tix so drafting that format got cheap as gently caress pretty quick. This set has practically no money in it and is the main payout of events.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 7, 2015

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Skyl3lazer posted:

I love when aggro decks dash things: they don't have persistent threats sure but it gives me a free chance every turn to counter them as w/u control.

You don't just dash all the time. I'll run out my first few plays, but if we're getting close to 5 lands up and you haven't played anything with U/W/x lands, I'm not committing a dude to the board to get got (especially since they don't natively have haste) when you're likely holding up a sweeper. Dash is a great, flexible way of turning your early beaters into burn spells against control, forcing them to counter your Lightning Berserker or Mardu Scout instead of Strike and Stokes, and what have you.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sword is banned because Wizards doesnt want to waste anyones time with yet another deck that auto loses to Trickbind, one of the most oppressive cards in all of the eternal formats

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Variance is a loving rear end in a top hat. Also I won this game - my opponent chumped my 4/4 with 3 creatures for no apparent reason in three turns while they were at 14, 14, and 10, and then drew green but I finally drew a spell. Thanks for throwing the game against an opponent on 4 spells 12 lands MTGO dude!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

rabidsquid posted:

Sword is banned because Wizards doesnt want to waste anyones time with yet another deck that auto loses to Trickbind, one of the most oppressive cards in all of the eternal formats

Wait what? Trickbind barely sees play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

:thejoke:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

whoosh

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Huh. That's a good point.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Yeah sorry wasn't really paying attention. Just read that and a mcmagic response bubbled up.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Blegh, went 4-1 with my rdw. Sideboardwent well! The last match, which I lost, I got totally mana screwed both games. One mountain the entire first game until he had two pws played and gave up. Next game couldn't draw anything I needed and had to mulligan to 5. Got to the point where I could win but couldn't get a single creature to stick or draw a mountain to Stoke for the last 4. Think I would have won both if my deck hadn't poo poo itself.

A lot of board wipe token hate. Need to get that temple or whatever to buff then up for sideboard I think. Still can't figure out outpost siege. Sided it in a few times but never drew it once.

Also, won 4 boosters. Can't take them to a store and draft with them apparently, so just open 'em?

Dohaeris fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 7, 2015

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys. I posted a version of that stupid thread idea I had. Come and have a laugh.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yo, what are burn's actually bad m/u's right now in modern?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 7, 2015

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Soul Sisters maybe?
Really, itself. Sometimes variance gets it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mehall posted:

Soul Sisters maybe?
Really, itself. Sometimes variance gets it.

I should qualify that with "bad matchups that aren't total poo poo literally anywhere else" I guess

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Any deck with three or 4 Leyline of sanctity.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bogle I guess, not much Burn can do against it game 1, and the sideboard answers are quite weak. Then again, Bogle has serious metagame problems right now so you probably won't see it.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Infect can sometimes get surprise wins on burn in my experience.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Herr Tog posted:

Hey guys. I posted a version of that stupid thread idea I had. Come and have a laugh.

oh here is a link to my stupid experiment

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711767

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I should qualify that with "bad matchups that aren't total poo poo literally anywhere else" I guess

It's not bad against twin and is maybe 40/60 over the match for Abzan. Underdog, but not terrible.

But yeah, the fact that that's the deck I name kinda points out how good Burn is placed just now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Burn in Modern kind of reminds me of a less extreme version Dredge in Legacy; it's an extremely efficient and powerful linear deck that attacks along a different axis than most decks in the format and as such has a very good game 1 against the majority of decks in the format, but with the right sideboard cards you can beat it.

How's Burn's matchup against Amulet, by the way? I feel like that one should be favored for Amulet since they get to start at 20 instead of 15 and have a very powerful proactive strategy of their own.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Elyv posted:

Burn in Modern kind of reminds me of a less extreme version Dredge in Legacy; it's an extremely efficient and powerful linear deck that attacks along a different axis than most decks in the format and as such has a very good game 1 against the majority of decks in the format, but with the right sideboard cards you can beat it.

How's Burn's matchup against Amulet, by the way? I feel like that one should be favored for Amulet since they get to start at 20 instead of 15 and have a very powerful proactive strategy of their own.

Not too bad for Amulet - worst case, you can usually even get a few extra turns from "going off" with Radiant Fountain and Vesuva paired with bouncelands if you really have to. The Primeval plan can get a bit messed up by Deflecting Palm though.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elyv posted:

In my experience its heavily in Amulet player's favor. Radiant Fountain + karoos + Vesuva mean that you can pad your life total well, and most iterations of the deck run Thragtusk and/or leylines out of the side.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
"*in dragoon voice from starcraft: brood war* i have returned" - legacy thunderdome

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

"*in dragoon voice from starcraft: brood war* i have returned" - legacy thunderdome

http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_fb.swf?pid=lnxdktkpnp

:effort:

on-topic for DTK:

Jormungand is my favorite brood

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i'm a big jormungand fan as well

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Just drafted this on MTGO. Won my first round, seems to be a pretty good selection. Someone passed me the Hordechief!

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Newbie question: Has there always been a competitive mono-red deck in standard throughout all the different sets?

I've been following MTG since RTR and it seems like RDW has been top 8 frequently ever since.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tenacious J posted:

Newbie question: Has there always been a competitive mono-red deck in standard throughout all the different sets?

I've been following MTG since RTR and it seems like RDW has been top 8 frequently ever since.

Not always, but usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Tenacious J posted:

Not all the time, but for as long as Sligh has existed, the dream of mono-red speeding out wins with cheap beats has been alive and well.

• Locked thread