Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Green Intern posted:

I think she reverted to a more "rural" accent when talking with her parents. She started doing it after talking with them for a little bit. She's from a small town, right?

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. People are especially prone to doing that when they are emotional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Does she speak in Kansai dialect or something? That's usually translated into an American southern drawl.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Does she speak in Kansai dialect or something? That's usually translated into an American southern drawl.

She does indeed. I'm far from an expert on Japanese dialects but I checked the Raw pages real quick and she uses the negative "hen" over "nai," which I'm fairly certain is indicative of the Kansai dialect.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I can't remember if Uraraka's specific background has been brought up before, but I wonder if like, her parents are simple farmers or whatever. The series has made no secret of its influences from golden and silver age comics, so it wouldn't surprise to see some Ma and Pa Kent types turn up.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think her dad works construction

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

I can't remember if Uraraka's specific background has been brought up before, but I wonder if like, her parents are simple farmers or whatever. The series has made no secret of its influences from golden and silver age comics, so it wouldn't surprise to see some Ma and Pa Kent types turn up.

They have a small construction company. It was mentioned around the start of this arc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And she revealed that she wants to become a hero for loadsofmoney.

To support her family, you see.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Waffleman_ posted:

And she revealed that she wants to become a hero for loadsofmoney.

To support her family, you see.

I can't actually recal a single character in shounen that's in it for the money that didn't have some kind of ulterior motive, like supporting family, paying off a slave debt to evil pirates, paying their way into medical school and so on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Josuke Higashikata.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Apparently she needs to become a hero to be allowed to use her quirk to support the family business. It seems like quirk restrictions are a thing, although I'm not sure how much. It could be something mildly dystopian, or it could just be that the building code doesn't permit the use of antigrav tech without an insane amount of licensing fees but will waive all that if you're a superhero and thus presumptively responsible.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Rand Brittain posted:

Apparently she needs to become a hero to be allowed to use her quirk to support the family business. It seems like quirk restrictions are a thing, although I'm not sure how much. It could be something mildly dystopian, or it could just be that the building code doesn't permit the use of antigrav tech without an insane amount of licensing fees but will waive all that if you're a superhero and thus presumptively responsible.

Are you sure that's what she's planning? Her quirk's limitations would really put a limit on how useful she would be in construction; she can't anti-grav tons and tons of building material, and even if she used her quirk to exhaustion every day, I can't imagine that would pull her family's business out of what is presumably crushing debt. It seems to me she wants to make tons of money as a hero and just flip stacks of cash to her family, as opposed to help her family's business directly via her quirk.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Yep. She wants to be a hero to get those sweet, sweet bounties and merchandizing deals.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...and then this all comes rushing back and I question how I forgot it

Still, sweet moment either way.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Waffleman_ posted:

Josuke Higashikata.

It costs a million yen a week to keep his hair up.

That poo poo is serious business.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think it was more her parents want their daughter to do more with her life than do menial work for their sake

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Thankfully this is a mostly upbeat shounen because "I'm going to become a hero and make a whole bunch of money to give my parents the life they deserve!" is deathflaggy as gently caress as far as ancillary character motivations go.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Fabricated posted:

Thankfully this is a mostly upbeat shounen because "I'm going to become a hero and make a whole bunch of money to give my parents the life they deserve!" is deathflaggy as gently caress as far as ancillary character motivations go.
Female lead/primary love interest ain't ancillary, bro.

Now if this was Frog Girl yeah there'd be more concern.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twiddy posted:

Female lead/primary love interest ain't ancillary, bro.

Now if this was Frog Girl yeah there'd be more concern.

I don't know what I would do if they took Tsuyu away from me.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't know what I would do if they took Tsuyu away from me.

Croak?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
They already threatened killing her back when Hans and his friends showed up, so I don't think they're going to go for it anytime soon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man, this chapter just further cemented Bakugou as the best character in the series. He's a total rear end in a top hat but is also completely fair, and he's slowly getting that arrogance beaten out of him while dealing with it terribly. Dude is great.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

:frogout:

Just caught up with this series :tviv:

Tsuyu is super cute, All Might is the best, and there's not really a character I don't like(initially I hated the gently caress out of Baku but he's slowly growing on me, really good character development)

Can't wait to see where this goes, but I'm going to be sad for All Might eventually not changing form anymore.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

chumbler posted:

Man, this chapter just further cemented Bakugou as the best character in the series. He's a total rear end in a top hat but is also completely fair, and he's slowly getting that arrogance beaten out of him while dealing with it terribly. Dude is great.

What I find interesting is that there at least two reasons why Bakugou as more genuinely respectful of Uraraka's efforts than others are (albeit for them, unwittingly). The first is that since day one, Bakugou has respected the power of quirks in general - he was a bully towards Deku mostly because they didn't have one, making them a ripe target to pick on, and Deku's turnaround has pissed him off so that the hate lingers. But existing quirk users? He has no particular beef with them, so the worst they'll get is his standard aggression, but he'll be an aggressive rear end in a top hat equally... kinda, I guess.

The other thing is that he's actually been defeated, technically, by Uraraka in the past. So he has reason to take her seriously, particularly when it was the kind of 'what you don't see' deception that had him lose in the bomb test. Sure, its the first they've faced off for an extended period directly, but it does mean Bakugou potentially saw the fight as 'gotta beat someone who's already defeated me', hence he was extra cautious as to what Uraraka could do.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Zeruel posted:

:frogout:

Just caught up with this series :tviv:

Tsuyu is super cute, All Might is the best, and there's not really a character I don't like(initially I hated the gently caress out of Baku but he's slowly growing on me, really good character development)

Can't wait to see where this goes, but I'm going to be sad for All Might eventually not changing form anymore.

Yeah, his transformation limit seems super-harsh this early in the story. Too bad, really, transformed All Might is consistently hilarious...

Although I'm gonna laugh my rear end off if Deku eventually masters the quirk enough to have a hulked-out form in the same comic book style :haw:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't the roided-up physique All-Might's real quirk, and he just inherited the All-For-One like Deku did? Or am I misunderstanding this and All-Might was in fact quirkless before he got that power?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Say Nothing posted:

Isn't the roided-up physique All-Might's real quirk, and he just inherited the All-For-One like Deku did? Or am I misunderstanding this and All-Might was in fact quirkless before he got that power?

Either works, but I don't think his buffness is because of All for One. I just thought that's what he legit looks like, and his skinny form is just because he's ill, and he can temporarily look like his old self somehow.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

Either works, but I don't think his buffness is because of All for One. I just thought that's what he legit looks like, and his skinny form is just because he's ill, and he can temporarily look like his old self somehow.

This is a really weird situation, actually... All Might says that you need to be insanely tough to even handle housing All for One's power, so I guess buff All Might was his normal form. Now he's sick, but for some reason, once he activates All for One, he doesn't just immediately die, but rather reverts to a form that can sustain its power. Maybe it's more of a mental thing here?

Still, I hope Deku gets a form like that, if only because All Might is so incredibly iconic and he won't be around forever, or rather, less and less. Who knows, maybe you are automatically drawn in American superhero style when you've got All for One activated continuously! After all, Deku never had All for One active for more than short bursts, so who knows...

Torquemadras fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 7, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midoriya becoming a gigantic chiseled silhouette would be weird but at least a bit more original than some sort of SSJ-Junior sort of thing which is what I keep imagining will happen.

e: regarding Bakugou I thought it was interesting he was initially annoyed at Midoriya for "telling her" to basically facetank his explosions.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 7, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hopeford posted:

Chapter 37 is out.

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but I like that they are making Bakugou, the rude rear end in a top hat, into one of the least sexist characters in a manga. Everyone is STILL hammering at that "you blasted a girl" thing and he's the first one to acknowledge she did well by herself after being told it was all her.

Yeah I think this is a big deal and good on Bakugou.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

:ssh: its One-for-All :ssh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Awesome chapter.

I too am liking Bakugou's character development, he might be an rear end but he respects others once they prove themselves.

I'm also really liking Uraraka, she's smart and ambitious and it absolutely kills her when she loses like that, her parents are also really sweet. :unsmith:

And Deku's line to Endeavor was badass, I like how while he is definitely intimidated by Endeavor he still stands up and speaks his mind.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Zeruel posted:

I changed it in editing two or three times, I probably should've just googled it.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Zeruel posted:

The big bad's gonna have an ability called All-for-One and then everybody's just gonna give up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zeruel posted:

Are we sure it's not All For Love?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

After seeing the Endeavor/Midoriya encounter, I hope that the next fight takes up at least five chapters.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Someone says it every chapter, but it always bears repeating: The faces in this manga, especially the eyes, are so good.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
All-Might's power is looking buff. He described it when he showed up the first time. He said it was something like when a guy puffs up his chest to look more fit at the beach, but more convincing. One For All just gave him actual strength on top of that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ If that's the case, why is he forced to transform back when he runs out of his One for All power? It seems like his muscular form is pretty clearly tied with his use of One for All.

I have absolutely no clue how this next fight is going to work. So far we've only seen Midoriya use his power once without destroying himself, and that was just to cause some wind to push Todoroki's arm out of the way. I can't think of how he's going to prevent Todoroki from just encasing him in ice like in Todoroki's first match. If he uses his power to bust out of the ice and it destroys him like we've seen in the past, that means the fight's over (which I doubt will happen), but if he uses it to bust out and is still okay it will basically mean that Midoriya is suddenly a huge badass.

I'm guessing he'll use his super strength/speed in some unique/gimmicky sort of way that causes a problem for Todoroki. I doubt that he'll suddenly be able to freely use the power in this next fight, but it seems like he has to at least partially overcome it in order to have a fight at all.

edit: If I had to guess, I think Midoriya will probably lose. Can't explain exactly why, but it just doesn't seem like it's where the narrative is headed.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 8, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Midoriya will punch the ground and use a block of concrete to block Torodoki's ice.

He will then use it as a battering ram / shield and run at Torodoki to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

*reading comments on people who just finished ch37*

"Holy poo poo did Midoriya use One-for-All on his balls when talking to Endeavor?"
:haw: