Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Let's see, today my new front control arms and RTABs are stuck in customs hell, the tool I rented that will make the RTAB removal a 3 minute job instead of a 3 hour job got returned to sender, scuppering plans to do the job this weekend, my summer wheels were balanced with the wrong loving weights again and it's snowing.

But I did take the day off to watch opening day baseball, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

puppy spam:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kastein posted:

That poo poo comes right off if you hose it down before it dries in the sun. So anytime in the next decade if you're in the Seattle area, but Geirskogul's pretty much hosed even if it happened at midnight and he found it at 2AM...

Best way to remove dried-on egg is to soak a towel in hot water*, place on dried egg, and leave it there for a couple hours. The hot water will soak in and soften up the egg, and once it's rehydrated it should come right off without having to scrub it too much.

*Obviously don't use super hot water if it's on glass and in the dead of winter. Also have to be careful not to let the soaked towel freeze on there in this case.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When my car was egged the body shop showed me how egg shell actually breaks the clear coat upon impact.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

When my car was egged the body shop showed me how egg shell actually breaks the clear coat upon impact.

It actually dented my car. It was thrown from an overpass while on the freeway. Good aim, I guess?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Negromancer posted:

True, but I would at least laugh for a minute if I walked up to my car and it was full of popcorn.

Don't get me wrong, we were 18 year old assholes and the person throwing poo poo had it coming. But in this situation I was telling my dickhead friend in the back seat not to loving throw poo poo at anyone since I was hung over and only driving cause the other person who could drive stick was still drunk. I was mostly pissed cause I was getting punched cause my friend was a idiot. It was also being driven by the exact type of person you would imagine bought a H2 when they first came out. At least we used something that won't do damage to the paintwork and just wipes off.

You'd be surprised. I've been playing paintball for a long time, and the shells can and do scratch impact-rated google lenses, and the fill stains all sorts of poo poo it shouldn't. The detergent in it bleaches clothes and plastics if it sits more than a few hours too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it'd gently caress with clearcoat.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 7, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

jammyozzy posted:

I could happily sit and watch NASCAR, gently caress it's a series I want to like but the TV coverage is so godawful I just can't. I'll put it on occasionally but you only get to see a few minutes of the race inbetween adverts, filler pieces, more adverts etc. and I'll turn it off again before the race is even half done.

And before anybody says it I'm not crossing the Atlantic to go see it in person.

My dad loves NASCAR, so I've watched it with him plenty. It's ok, but I just prefer racing with turns in both directions. Also I can never forgive NASCAR for being completely unable to figure out what rain tires are.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

Did you make sure to blast out the jet after taking it out of the cleaner? That is the classic symptom of a clogged jet. Also depending on the carb it might have a TINY hole near the bottom of the tube that goes to the jet that may be clogged. Like taking a piece of stranded wire to clean it out tiny.

Yeah, I've blasted poo poo through the jet and it comes out and coats my hands.

It's just a B&S 6hp, so the simplest poo poo ever. But somehow it's now harder to get running than a goddamn motorcycle.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Locator posted:

My dad loves NASCAR, so I've watched it with him plenty. It's ok, but I just prefer racing with turns in both directions. Also I can never forgive NASCAR for being completely unable to figure out what rain tires are.

If you don't mind watching not-live, NASCAR uploads races to their YouTube channel complete without commercials about a week after they air.

E;whoops, quoted the wrong person. Not fixing it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=funydo99Q5Y

Although the reality is I don't think it's possible to make a rain tire that survives oval forces.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Siochain posted:

Check for bad caps. That sounds exactly like the 6 years of Samsung LCD monitors that had the exact same issue. Could still be the inverter, but some swelled caps out of spec can mimic the same symptoms. Also a lot cheaper/easier to fix. I made a lot of side scratch taking in broken LCD's and putting $5 worth of caps and 30 minutes of time into them.

Plan was to just open it up and look for anything obvious, like bad caps. And if they're on the inverter board, gently caress that, entire board gets swapped. I'm not getting tickled again! Elmo might think it's funny to get tickled, I usually cuss for several minutes (camera flash caps also sting like hell).

... I need to get a decent soldering iron. And probably open up my TV as well to swap the power supply. If I can find one for it anyway, it was a pretty low volume TV to begin with (Toshiba 32AV series).

Speaking of, one of my monitors is a dim purple until it gets warmed up - no issue with the backlights going off/on, but it's obvious that the backlights are very, very, very tired (color is still off once it warms up, but the longer it's on, the better the color gets). I haven't really checked into it, but are those something you can generally replace? It's a ~7 year old monitor. I'm guessing it'll be cheaper to just replace it.

The upside is the one Samsung monitor in the house looks brand new, and it's about 7 years old.

I have two dirt cheap monitors on my desktop (Acer 22" and Dell 20", Dell replaced under warranty about 7 years ago after the original one started showing a vertical green line anytime it was on).

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Tusen Takk posted:

puppy spam:

I just wanted to echo the previous comments that I'm happy to see you got a rescue. Rescue mutts are basically the best dogs. We have three and they rule.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

Wow they found a way to make it worse than the one I had to do a couple months ago. Fuckin' Ford.

We ended up replacing everything except the sensor anyways, because the tube was rotted in half, the tube flare nut was seized to the bung, the bung was partially seized to the manifold, and the valve was clogged. I guess the sensor's still original, but it might not be for long because it still throws a code occasionally.

If your EGR bung is seized to the EGR pipe or module and you end up needing to replace it, I've got the right tap to chase the threads (two of them, because the one I ordered first was on the slow boat from China and I needed it RFN) and will gladly mail it to you.

At least the EGR is right on the side of the throttle body adapter, right on top of the intake on this 4.6. Easy to reach. And no rust-Texas, though that would be the one place where it would rust to a nub. Fortunately, this one is new enough to not be a problem. Thanks for the offer, though!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tusen Takk posted:

puppy spam:

He looks so serious!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy gently caress. My lower back muscles are so tense they are getting a workout just standing at work today. I think I might leave at noon instead of an hour early so I can lay down for an hour or two before PT.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I am in a funk.

Last couple months have been a 80-100 hr weeks of work / home renovation to get ready to sell every waking moment then added our new house which has been more of the same. Every spare moment I have is dedicated to one or the other. Doing my best to make time for the wife and kid which leaves very little "me" time. Kid is acting up a little bit which I think is simply a 'any attention from Dad is attention' mechanism. Feel like all i do is get on to him about stupid stuff.

I need a break.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Locator posted:

Also I can never forgive NASCAR for being completely unable to figure out what rain tires are.

Haha think about that for a minute, there's no rain tire that's going to work at the speeds of an oval track with the lack of downforce stock cars have, basically what IOC said.

They have tried before at road courses with the Busch cars, but Cup has never used rain tires IIRC.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

It rained for the last 20 laps of the Nationwide race at Road America last year and they put on rain tires. Lots of spinning but they kept going. Made for an interesting race.

The awkward, added as an afterthought, windshield wipers are pretty funny.

leica posted:

Haha think about that for a minute, there's no rain tire that's going to work at the speeds of an oval track with the lack of downforce stock cars have, basically what IOC said.

They have tried before at road courses with the Busch cars, but Cup has never used rain tires IIRC.

They could possibly run them on short tracks but anything over a mile would not go well.

Sprint Cup will be able to use rain tires on road courses as of this year.

I went to the fall Martinsville race last year and had a great time. The crowd reaction to Dale Jr winning really added to it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

My dad is into nascar, which I get because he got to see the days of them actually being stock cars. The rest is now just drama and dumb rules. The engineering is kind of cool, but I have a tough time watching it on TV until the last 5 laps.

I'd definitely go to one live, but it's not my jam.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tide posted:

Man, I am in a funk.

Last couple months have been a 80-100 hr weeks of work / home renovation to get ready to sell every waking moment then added our new house which has been more of the same. Every spare moment I have is dedicated to one or the other. Doing my best to make time for the wife and kid which leaves very little "me" time. Kid is acting up a little bit which I think is simply a 'any attention from Dad is attention' mechanism. Feel like all i do is get on to him about stupid stuff.

I need a break.

That is a gnarly situation to be in and I can understand how that goes. Finding balance in life is tough and it really shows how committed you need to be in order to be a parent. Ever since we have had our second I have been to the gym exactly one time. I work all day and get home and help my wife with the kids/dinner/etc. She needs a break too and I want to spend time with the kids. She works her butt off all day at home. We are lucky if both kids are in bed by 9:00 PM. Then I am able to spend some one on one time with the Mrs. She is tired and wants to go to sleep so she usually wants to be in bed by 10, giving me usually about an hour with her. The gym closes at 10 and is a 20 minute drive away. Add extra projects on top of that like trying to make your yard look decent and life just gets away. I want to say that as the kids get older and more independent it should get easier since I feel like that is what my parents were able to do but the first years are definitely a new challenge.

I love my life though and there are moments that make me remember why I wake up every day and make the choices I do. Just like this from Saturday we had a little block party/Easter egg hunt for all of the kids and it was a laugh riot. Being able to see life from the perspective of my daughter brought up a lot of emotion for me in this little video I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNP7HwGfUVQ I had about 15 minutes of raw GoPro video of just her and seeing her run about and her little voice just melted me and my wife. Kids are so great and innocent that you can't help but want things to be magical for them.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Got woken up by the drat cops at 6 am to be informed that some gently caress stole + dumped my car. I got dressed and got outside to talk to them, they interviewed me all coppy cop cop style at first, asking me if I had lent someone the car or if someone had access to the keys (no, there's only 1 set and they've been in my pocket since last night.

They drive me out to where it was, in an old abandoned schools parking lot, driven into a loving rock. The passenger side window (the small triangular one had been smashed in, the underside of the dash had been kicked apart and the car was hot wired and still with the ignition on.

The cops were pretty unhelpful other than driving me there and home again.
One of the officers that drove me home even claimed I smelled of weed (pretty unlikely as I had non-smelly clothes on) but told me he'd let it fly this time and told me to lay off the devil lettuce or whatever.

My insurance company at least responded quickly and got the car towed to a shop where some adjuster or whatever will look at it (most likely, it's going to get classed as totaled because parts are sorta rare and expensive). I'm aorta OK with that, but I liked my poo poo box. :(

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The good thing it's not permanent. We're almost done with the really intensive stuff, the rest can wait. Once I get the den painted and crown moulding and floor moulding hung, then us moved over, it will slow down. For reference, this is what I did over our 'spring break' ( :suicide: ) :

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3709063

Also, bonus kid and dogge pictures:

e: resized a couple of really big images...

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 7, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Why the hell am I terminating this 200 pair on 66 blocks in a BRAND NEW building!?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Boxers are some of the best dogges ever :3:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just like this from Saturday we had a little block party/Easter egg hunt for all of the kids and it was a laugh riot. Being able to see life from the perspective of my daughter brought up a lot of emotion for me in this little video I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNP7HwGfUVQ

Yup, I need to buy a non-helmet-based mount for my Gopro to stick on my kid. I've got a little bit of video from sticking it on her helmet while she tried a scooter (and quickly decided she'd rather try to climb a tree) and it's just the cutest poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, I need to buy a non-helmet-based mount for my Gopro to stick on my kid. I've got a little bit of video from sticking it on her helmet while she tried a scooter (and quickly decided she'd rather try to climb a tree) and it's just the cutest poo poo.

I got this and safe to say that we will be using it a lot more often.

Edit: I wanna pat that boxer on the noggin. Those are great dogs.

vvv Double edit vvv: Thanks! I was happy with how the video turned out. I am still trying to learn more. The time lapse was actually a lot better initially and showed the herd running through all of the front yards but I thought I would slow it down 50% on the iMovie clip but I should have left it the original speed. It was a lot smoother, but I didn't want to change it back and re-upload the whole video.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 7, 2015

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I love my life though and there are moments that make me remember why I wake up every day and make the choices I do. Just like this from Saturday we had a little block party/Easter egg hunt for all of the kids and it was a laugh riot. Being able to see life from the perspective of my daughter brought up a lot of emotion for me in this little video I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNP7HwGfUVQ I had about 15 minutes of raw GoPro video of just her and seeing her run about and her little voice just melted me and my wife. Kids are so great and innocent that you can't help but want things to be magical for them.

That is like the cutest mini-zombie apocalypse timelapse ever. Awesome video man, that's fantastic :) Really, really cool idea.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So nervous. My wife is going to the Paul Mitchell school, and today is her test day for male cuts. Which means I'm the guinea pig.

Hopefully I don't end up having to bic my head. I trust her, but drat it I like my barber. I'll have to go in and buy some razor blades just so he doesn't think I died.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I got this and safe to say that we will be using it a lot more often.

Edit: I wanna pat that boxer on the noggin. Those are great dogs.

vvv Double edit vvv: Thanks! I was happy with how the video turned out. I am still trying to learn more. The time lapse was actually a lot better initially and showed the herd running through all of the front yards but I thought I would slow it down 50% on the iMovie clip but I should have left it the original speed. It was a lot smoother, but I didn't want to change it back and re-upload the whole video.

Just put one of these on your kids.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is a gnarly situation to be in and I can understand how that goes. Finding balance in life is tough and it really shows how committed you need to be in order to be a parent. Ever since we have had our second I have been to the gym exactly one time. I work all day and get home and help my wife with the kids/dinner/etc. She needs a break too and I want to spend time with the kids. She works her butt off all day at home. We are lucky if both kids are in bed by 9:00 PM. Then I am able to spend some one on one time with the Mrs. She is tired and wants to go to sleep so she usually wants to be in bed by 10, giving me usually about an hour with her. The gym closes at 10 and is a 20 minute drive away. Add extra projects on top of that like trying to make your yard look decent and life just gets away. I want to say that as the kids get older and more independent it should get easier since I feel like that is what my parents were able to do but the first years are definitely a new challenge.

Aside from getting the kids into bed by 7:30(routine is great) and me wanting to be in bed by 10 because I get up at 5:30, this is us. We'll be moving 5 minutes from the in-laws hopefully into a house that needs no work so I'm hanging my sanity on 1 day a week babysitting and not having a repair list hanging over my head every waking hour. Anything that needs doing will be new, and I want to make stuff for the kids and take the wife out, cinema occasionally, meals out every now and then, hell even walking the dog together would be welcome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Aside from getting the kids into bed by 7:30(routine is great) and me wanting to be in bed by 10 because I get up at 5:30, this is us. We'll be moving 5 minutes from the in-laws hopefully into a house that needs no work so I'm hanging my sanity on 1 day a week babysitting and not having a repair list hanging over my head every waking hour. Anything that needs doing will be new, and I want to make stuff for the kids and take the wife out, cinema occasionally, meals out every now and then, hell even walking the dog together would be welcome.

My kid puts himself to bet at 10:00-10:30, I never go to bed prior to 11:30, generally because I'm doing something and my brain doesn't want to settle. We tried early bed times, and he just rolled around his room, never bothered us, but he consistently fell asleep around ~10PM

That is fine with me, because I remember not wanting to sleep as a kid prior to roughly that same time, I'd lay in bed for hours unable to really settle.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I read until I passed out as a kid, my parents gave up trying to confiscate light sources. I expect the way my kids are with books they'll be the same 3:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

I read until I passed out as a kid, my parents gave up trying to confiscate light sources. I expect the way my kids are with books they'll be the same 3:

That is most definitely not a bad thing. I wish my kid was a more enthusiastic reader.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Cached Money posted:

One of the officers that drove me home even claimed I smelled of weed (pretty unlikely as I had non-smelly clothes on) but told me he'd let it fly this time and told me to lay off the devil lettuce or whatever.

Sorry about your car man, but this is just too cute! Smokers are all the same (whether it's weed , tobacco, heroin, whatever), thinking "if I just do [x] people won't notice".

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Sorry about your car man, but this is just too cute! Smokers are all the same (whether it's weed , tobacco, heroin, whatever), thinking "if I just do [x] people won't notice".

That sucks about your car.

Cakefool posted:

Mines only 2.5, obviously can't read, and also behind on speech. He knows words, like if you ask him to get the car, remote, and a hundred other things he'll race of to get them, but as far as speech it's weird, about the only simple words he says is 'car' and similar sounds. For some weird reason he says 'circle', 'treasure', 'turtle', 'rainbow' but doesn't say many simple words like milk, bottle, toy like you'd expect of a kid that age.

Anyway, sometimes when he wakes up in his cot and my partner has has left a book nearby or in it, he will sit there and "read" them. All words are "D" BTW. So if he's reading out loud he'll be saying "D D D D D D D D". Also all numbers are "A" (or "8"). He often argues with sesame street with their numbers and letters, yelling D or a/8.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 7, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

n'thing this.

I hate to say it, but if you have smoked within the walls of your dwelling, all of your poo poo smells like weed, including your body if you're even a semi-regular user. Doesn't matter if you make $400k a year at a white-collar CEO job, or if you make $15k a year at mcdonald's in the slums. You all smell.

Weed/Tobacco/Heroin/whatever smokers think they're covering up their smell by doing certain things, but it's like that one kid you had in class with BO who claimed he didn't smell it, or people with cats (I am one myself) - when you're around a smell for even a few hours, your brain/nose shuts off detection of it, and that smell becomes part of your "neutral baseline." You ain't fooling anybody but yourself.

Sorry, man. It's the same with my litterbox, or your great aunt's cigarettes.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Parent :words:.

I'm with you. we're having a similar struggle, except our eldest is really struggling with a bit of jealousy and ability to sleep through the night (2.5 years old, needs help going to sleep and wakes up at least once through the night usually). Thoroughly frustrating at times, but still totally worth it.

I've never saw the need for a GoPro, but that video may have sealed the deal. She's a total sweetheart, fyi. Good work.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Geirskogul posted:

n'thing this.

I hate to say it, but if you have smoked within the walls of your dwelling, all of your poo poo smells like weed, including your body if you're even a semi-regular user. Doesn't matter if you make $400k a year at a white-collar CEO job, or if you make $15k a year at mcdonald's in the slums. You all smell.

Weed/Tobacco/Heroin/whatever smokers think they're covering up their smell by doing certain things, but it's like that one kid you had in class with BO who claimed he didn't smell it, or people with cats (I am one myself) - when you're around a smell for even a few hours, your brain/nose shuts off detection of it, and that smell becomes part of your "neutral baseline." You ain't fooling anybody but yourself.

Sorry, man. It's the same with my litterbox, or your great aunt's cigarettes.
You can smoke weed without smelling. Its the smoke lingering in the air that will get you. If you're able to, put a box fan in a window blowing outside. Don't use your fingers to load bowls, use something like a guitar pick. This is advice for glass usage though. Doesn't really apply to joints/cigarettes.

Source: I made 29k and lived at home when I smoked weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I gotta disagree with that. Much like cigarette smoke, weed is so pungent that I don't think you can ever escape that smell, no matter how much you try.

• Locked thread