Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Burns posted:

Reading Azran's list of changes on page 1153 makes it seem like they just threw new enemies around willy-nilly. Does the game FEEL better ? Also, were any bonfires moved around? Were any new shortcuts added? Everything I've read makes it seem like a mess.

Every single change has been for the better - encounter design is so much more fun now.

ethanol posted:

Where did the dude that hates light go? I need those effigies :black101:

Still in the same place, Undead Crypt.

THE loving MOON posted:

Anybody have any idea where you can find a ring of life protection now? I have the ashen mist heart, and I went to go kill the throne watcher and defender so i could buy some of their gear. I suicided so I wouldn't have to fight nashandra, but I lost a whole lot of souls that I'd like to avoid losing :saddowns:

You can buy one from Felkin, there's another one SOMEWHERE too. Haven't found it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

repiv posted:

I was about to die to poison and the heal from having one of my message rated saved me. All of my messages are shitposts about skeletons.

thank mr skeltal :downs:

Meanwhile I have one of my messages that's regularly getting hits ("Behind! By the way, beware of ambush!" on the stairs up to the ship in No-Man's Wharf) right after I heal. I think in about 30 ratings it's managed to heal me...twice?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Azran posted:

Every single change has been for the better - encounter design is so much more fun now.

You can buy one from Felkin, there's another one SOMEWHERE too. Haven't found it yet.

Now that I got those souls back I don't really need one anymore :shrug:

I'm about to go plunging through all the DLC to get the crowns, and I'm probably gonna equip agape at some point so I can stay at about 2.5 million souls for PVP. After I get a crown blessing and kill the Scholar I'll pretty much be camping on the bridge until GTA drops

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Azran posted:

Idk, I've fought the Pursuer about 6 times now and he's never really a problem after the first time you beat him. Even if some of the rooms he shows up in are awful small.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Deaderinred posted:

yes it does feel better. much better. the enemies are not thrown around willy-nilly they all make story sense.

it is not a mess at all.

From what I watched of a stream, the ghosts, desert pyromancers, manikins, old knights, gargoyle and chariot horse in drangleic castle made no story sense at all.

The streamer happened to be a speedrunner so I saw the changed enemies for about half the game and most did not seem to make any more sense than things like the grave wardens in earthen peak.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Oh man, the wharf has a shortcut now! Blew through it in one run, and got a both a Varangian Sword and Foot Soldier's Sword in the process. I wanted that foot soldier's sword so bad before, of course I get it when I'm not interested in it.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Will joining the champions covenant repopulate enemies which have already been killed off from an area prior to joining?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wurzag posted:

Will joining the champions covenant repopulate enemies which have already been killed off from an area prior to joining?

Yup, but when you leave they re-extinct.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I'm so confused about the different versions of the game now. If I understand the internet correctly, there's even separate DX9 and DX11 versions of Scholar of the First Sin. I have no idea what version I even have now.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The DX9 version of Scholar of the First Sin is just the original game with all the DLC, and should still be listed as DARK SOULS II on Steam. If you have the new enemy placement and graphics you have the DirectX11 version.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ending question:
Did I miss the game prompting me to find these memories? And then randomly go to drangleic's basement to roll the credits? wtf?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

ethanol posted:

Ending question:
Did I miss the game prompting me to find these memories? And then randomly go to drangleic's basement to roll the credits? wtf?

You only need to clear the Giant Lord's Memory (Memory of Orro IIRC?) to finish the game :v:

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What's the story/lore reason for having Allone Captains in the Drangleic castle? I thought the Old Iron Kingdom/Alken/Venn was before Drangleic?

Or is it just a game-y shortcut to avoid having to make a differently themed Greatbow enemy?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

:allears:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So here's a weird lore question. So the old iron king comes from the castle in the iron crown DLC, right? So why does he also have a castle in drangleic? Or does the DLC take place in the same castle in the future/past?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Uhm, a king having more than one castle and residence isn't exactly unheard of.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Nuebot posted:

So here's a weird lore question. So the old iron king comes from the castle in the iron crown DLC, right? So why does he also have a castle in drangleic? Or does the DLC take place in the same castle in the future/past?

The Brume Tower was where the Iron King made his fortune and strength after meeting Sir Alonne and finding the Scorched Iron Scepter, the Iron Keep was his seat of power after this.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Well he built iron keep out of iron, so that obviously came after the "mining tons of iron and getting rich as gently caress" thing, which he did while hanging around in his first castle.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ethanol posted:

Ending question:

If you talk to Nashandra when she's in her human form at the top of the castle, she'll tell you that you need the Giant's Kinship to interact with the throne. She says that to do that, you'll need the king's ring which is still on Vendrick obviously. She basically explains what you need to do in the endgame, but the problem is that nobody ever realizes they can talk to her because you have to basically rub your nutsack on the banister in front of her for the talk prompt to appear. If you go to the throne before you have the kinship (there's a king's ring door in the way, which is your indication that it's an endgame area) you can fight the throne watcher/defender, but the throne won't do anything afterward and Nashandra won't be there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

The Brume Tower was where the Iron King made his fortune and strength after meeting Sir Alonne and finding the Scorched Iron Scepter, the Iron Keep was his seat of power after this.

Gotcha. So, assuming it was the smelter demon that killed him then. It would have been the red one? I wonder what the deal with the blue one is then. A prototype?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuebot posted:

Gotcha. So, assuming it was the smelter demon that killed him then. It would have been the red one? I wonder what the deal with the blue one is then. A prototype?

Well technically he's still alive; the big giant diablo thing IS the Iron King, or what's left of his soul anyway. From his soul description:

quote:

Soul of the Old Iron King, who succumbed
to the flames that swallowed his castle.

The Iron King's flesh was charred, and his
soul possessed by the things that lurk below.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Well yeah, but talking strictly about him when he was alive, as a human. Before he went all balrog.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh. Yeah the Smelter Demon killed him the first time, it's right in the red one's soul description.

quote:

The Old Iron King's life was taken by a mass of
iron that had been given a soul.
Was this metal goliath here from the beginning,
or as it a product of the king's conceit?.

It's, uh, worded slightly grislier in the sword's description :v:

quote:

The earth spouted fire, and a beast arose from
the flames. The short-sighted king was incinerated
by the creature in one swing, and his castle
devoured in a sea of flames.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Drangleic: Actual originator of the singularity.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So is the upgrade to the Scholar of the First Sin worth going for?
I'm not that far in the game so i'd be fine with restarting.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Yup! I'd say so. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It depends on how dedicated you are to DS2. If you can see yourself playing through it multiple times, you should finish your the playthrough in vanilla DS2 first imo and THEN play sotfs, otherwise you won't know about most of the changes which is half the fun of it. If you only want to do one playthrough I'd say just bite the bullet and do sotfs instead because there are several quality of life improvements in addition to all the big ones.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

As someone who was initially hesitant and opposed to it: Yes! The changes make each area feel unique now and it gives the game a lot of life. It also makes it feel slightly more challenging, in that you can't really just slowly pick off enemies one by one and chug life gems between them since the enemies are more aggressive for the most part. It's also switched items up so you don't have to run around and do as much pointless dead-end muckery to get stuff, at least as far as I've noticed, and you don't have to do NG+ to get the important/cool stuff anymore.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I'm nearing the time I need to go and do frozen wastes again because this time I actually want the sword and shield. Last I checked nobody was co-opping it yet at 3 mil SM :negative:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Iretep posted:

I'm nearing the time I need to go and do frozen wastes again because this time I actually want the sword and shield. Last I checked nobody was co-opping it yet at 3 mil SM :negative:

I wish they'd make a hack or something to get rid of that snowstorm, I'd use it in a heartbeat. Without a doubt the frozen wastes is my least favorite part of this whole game, despite the fact that I otherwise loved the DLC.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Thanks everybody.

When I saw it it just looked like a graphical update that didn't really look that different. Also yeah I'm only gonna do one playthrough so might as well do it on the better version.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Thanks everybody.

When I saw it it just looked like a graphical update that didn't really look that different. Also yeah I'm only gonna do one playthrough so might as well do it on the better version.

That's what I said, about four characters ago. "I'll probably only play it once or something."

Burns
May 10, 2008

Have they improved level design in any way? I' looking specifically at Huntmen's Copse and that completely pointless shortcut with the tree.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bonkers how many upgrade materials this game throws at you, I have three +10 primaries, need a few chunks for a +10 bow, and I have a set of armor at +5 that I can raise a bit more with some farming.

Except for Dragon Bones though. I don't know what to upgrade with them :ohdear:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Burns posted:

Have they improved level design in any way? I' looking specifically at Huntmen's Copse and that completely pointless shortcut with the tree.

There are very few level changes. They mostly changed the enemy placement.
Edit: from the top of my head the notable level changes are:
Dragon aerie shortcut ladder is down by default now
Belfry sol bonfire is surounded by bars so no more jumping back to iron keep through it
The tomb is a bit diffrent, the pyromancers only summon if you ring a bell now and there are a lot more bells in your way to compensate
No-Mans Wharf has a shortcut near the end now.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 7, 2015

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Do I have to join a covenant to start getting invaded by the Forlorn? Also where do I join it?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nope, I've been haphazardly joining different covenants during this run and Forlorn has shown up many times regardless. Doesn't seem to matter if you're hollow either.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
As far as I know, the Forlorn show up when you revisit areas after you've killed one of the bosses there.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there any difference in effect power between the Traveling Merchant Hat, Prisoner's Hood and Jester Cap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I did the mistake of upgrading the Forlorn weapons until I learned their gimmick they scale with hollowing like the dark pyromancy flame