Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

some texas redneck posted:

I've been run up onto the median multiple times by people cutting tight from the outside lane. Best part is when I popped the median to avoid someone and laid on the horn, and they wound up following me flashing their high beams for a few miles. :psypop:

Some rear end in a top hat doing this caused me to curbrash my brand new wheels, too :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jeep Grand Cherokee made sure to get on the pedal to get out into the road in front of me when he should have waited for me to pass, and then proceeded to get off the pedal and go 35 in a 50.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

Jeep Grand Cherokee made sure to get on the pedal to get out into the road in front of me when he should have waited for me to pass, and then proceeded to get off the pedal and go 35 in a 50.

If I posted every occurrence of this here in Pittsburgh just on my commute alone I'd have 300 pages in this thread just my posts. gently caress I hate that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

It was quite some time ago, but the best (worst?) one of these I've ever seen was when the semi in front of me in the far right lane of a triple left cut inside all the way to the left turn lane, just completely ignoring all the cars that had to make all sorts of evasive maneuvers to keep from getting crushed.

This intersection, somewhat vaguely like the red line.

I just had someone pull this today out on my end of town, except I was in the left-most turn lane (they were in the middle) and they honked at me because... I pulled into the left-most through-lane instead of the left-turn lane to get back on the freeway? :confused:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

krnhotwings posted:

Today, I was in the inner lane of a double protected left turn, and as I was going, this lady in the other lane was cutting into my lane at the start of the turn. By the middle of the turn, half of her car was in my lane. I was honking at her the whole turn, and she was just completely oblivious. I was watching her and she made no indication that she even realized that I was honking at her. It's amazing how often this occurs. Whenever I walk home from work, I watch cars making left turns at various double protected turns, and almost always the cars cut over the white line. Is it that loving hard to follow a painted white line on the road?

Laying on the horn for a full 15 seconds straight should earn you a pair of taser prongs to your forehead and a 50,000-volt jolt to wake you up from being a complete rear end in a top hat.

That's right, I'm talking to you Mr. Black Lexus GX570 with Gwinnett County plates. I don't remember your plate number, but I'll always cherish how much of a stupid sonofabitch you were.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Had a doozy today. Guy pulls out of the Holiday Inn on the right here:

Then proceeds to stop here, blocking both lanes, with his left turn signal on:

All the while I'm slamming my brakes, nearly rear-ending him, and nearly being rear-ended; he's also blocking someone from completing that left turn. The only reason that I didn't ram him is that I saw the POW tags and lovely lurchy steering as he pulled out and started engine braking while I had lots of distance. It's a 45mph zone there, and lots of people do 55 as it feeds into a highway ramp about half a mile down. All three of us held our horns and gave him the bird while he just kind of shrugged and decided to start rolling about ten seconds later.

A couple of miles down, where I exited, a guy was so busy dancing to his lovely music that he sat at a flashing red light (train passing by on the right of the intersection), while his passenger was visibly pointing to him to turn left, doing nothing. While four people, including me, change lanes around him and taking the left turn, honking etc. He finally starts moving as I go around him.

People get real dumb down here. :texas:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

some texas redneck posted:

I've been run up onto the median multiple times by people cutting tight from the outside lane. Best part is when I popped the median to avoid someone and laid on the horn, and they wound up following me flashing their high beams for a few miles. :psypop:

I just always see people go as wide as possible when making lefts, no matter the intersection. Only like half the drivers go into the first lane like they're supposed to, so seeing someone go even tighter than that is so weird to me.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I get people who do the "veer right before turning left" thing. What the gently caress is up with that? Do people seriously imagine a 5mph turn is the same as an f-1 race?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Recently there was a campaign by Seat in Denmark where you could win prices by passing a 25 question written test, similar to the one you have to pass to get a driver's license. You have to get 20 out of 25 correct answers to pass.

The overall failure rate from thousands of entrants was 80%.

Eighty. Percent.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 6, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I get people who do the "veer right before turning left" thing. What the gently caress is up with that? Do people seriously imagine a 5mph turn is the same as an f-1 race?

They think they are going to cut the corner otherwise.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

KozmoNaut posted:

Recently there was a campaign by Seat in Denmark where you could win prices by passing a 25 question written test, similar to the one you have to pass to get a driver's license. You have to get 20 out of 25 correct answers to pass.

The overall failure rate from thousands of entrants was 80%.

Eighty. Percent.

Are you sure people weren't just throwing the test to avoid winning a SEAT? :v:

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
gently caress you Mr Audio Q5. This morning I got stuck behind an idiot who was using all 4 of the lanes and meandering and drifting through each one. In heavy traffic with no signals. He was completely oblivious with the things around him and nearly caused a collision with me when he drifted into my lane as I was trying to merge onto i90 from 405.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jammyozzy posted:

Are you sure people weren't just throwing the test to avoid winning a SEAT? :v:

SEATs are cool and good, in my experience.

Maybe it's because I've only encountered them in markets where their competition includes early-2000s Kias and Ladas.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They're cheaper and uglier VWs, so eh.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I do that sometimes because I need all the turning radius I can get. Usually before doing a U-turn; if there's room I'd rather take it to avoid potentially having to hop the curb on the other end.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
So far every time I have made a u-turn in Wichita I get in th left turn lane, wait for the arrow, and make my turn. When I am halfway through the turn, the as whole to my left will decide this is the best possible time to make a right turn on red steering themselves directly into my path. People just don't make u turns here to a point where surrounding traffic doesn't know what's up.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

EightBit posted:

Had a doozy today. Guy pulls out of the Holiday Inn on the right here:

Then proceeds to stop here, blocking both lanes, with his left turn signal on:

All the while I'm slamming my brakes, nearly rear-ending him, and nearly being rear-ended; he's also blocking someone from completing that left turn. The only reason that I didn't ram him is that I saw the POW tags and lovely lurchy steering as he pulled out and started engine braking while I had lots of distance. It's a 45mph zone there, and lots of people do 55 as it feeds into a highway ramp about half a mile down. All three of us held our horns and gave him the bird while he just kind of shrugged and decided to start rolling about ten seconds later.

A couple of miles down, where I exited, a guy was so busy dancing to his lovely music that he sat at a flashing red light (train passing by on the right of the intersection), while his passenger was visibly pointing to him to turn left, doing nothing. While four people, including me, change lanes around him and taking the left turn, honking etc. He finally starts moving as I go around him.

People get real dumb down here. :texas:

People gently caress up there so much, that was my daily commute for 4 years having to go through that.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

jaegerx posted:

People gently caress up there so much, that was my daily commute for 4 years having to go through that.

I'm glad that I telecommute 99% of the time, as that is on the route to my office.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Crotch Fruit posted:

So far every time I have made a u-turn in Wichita I get in th left turn lane, wait for the arrow, and make my turn. When I am halfway through the turn, the as whole to my left will decide this is the best possible time to make a right turn on red steering themselves directly into my path. People just don't make u turns here to a point where surrounding traffic doesn't know what's up.

A lot of people just don't realize that in most places, when you're turning right on red or from a stop sign, you have to yield to people making U-turns. It can make things a bit awkward at some intersections, because you often can't tell a U-turner from a left-turner until it's too late, so you may have to wait until all the left-turning traffic clears out.

I really wish people would pay attention to "No U-Turn" signs as well. There's almost always a very good reason for those signs (usually because it conflicts with other traffic or the intersection layout simply makes it too dangerous). I've almost been hit several times by people making illegal U-turns at intersections where I have a green right turn arrow.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

dennyk posted:

A lot of people just don't realize that in most places, when you're turning right on red or from a stop sign, you have to yield to people making U-turns. It can make things a bit awkward at some intersections, because you often can't tell a U-turner from a left-turner until it's too late, so you may have to wait until all the left-turning traffic clears out.

I really wish people would pay attention to "No U-Turn" signs as well. There's almost always a very good reason for those signs (usually because it conflicts with other traffic or the intersection layout simply makes it too dangerous). I've almost been hit several times by people making illegal U-turns at intersections where I have a green right turn arrow.

There's a bunch of "U-turn yield to right turn" signs near where I live. I've been making a u-turn on green arrow when the right-on-red people just zoom up to the intersection and blow on through the red light to turn. I realize I would have to yield if they were there first, but they didn't even SLOW DOWN for their right-hand turn.

Also, I was the person you share a road with today. Well, not share, I suppose. Three times I got caught in a place where the road goes from two to one lane with no markings. It just gradually gets narrower over the course of a mile or so. I was driving next to someone all three times and had to squeeze in behind them. I guess having local plates on the car but not being "from around here" makes people assume I'm just a tremendous rear end in a top hat for not knowing the road and merging in earlier. edit: The Google street view shows a generic yellow "right lane ends" sign and stripes on the road. Neither of these things exist now. Northern winters are HARSH on roads, and plows are probably pretty harsh on signs.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 7, 2015

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

wayfinder posted:

They think they are going to cut the corner otherwise.

People in sedans/coupes at 6 lane wide intersection?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There's a bunch of "U-turn yield to right turn" signs near where I live. I've been making a u-turn on green arrow when the right-on-red people just zoom up to the intersection and blow on through the red light to turn. I realize I would have to yield if they were there first, but they didn't even SLOW DOWN for their right-hand turn.

I've got Red light must yield to U-turn signs. Seems like it makes more sense.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The only intersection like this near me (a T-intersection) has it set up so that whenever the left lane in question (turning from the right arm of the T onto the leg) has a green left arrow, the right turning traffic flowing in the opposite direaction also has a green arrow, so the yield signage makes sense and is appropriate. Also because that light has plenty of left turnoffs leading up to it, so people who need to make a u-turn that far up are outliers.

I can see how that would be annoying for when right-turning traffic has a red/there's miles of median leading up to it, though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

EightBit posted:

I'm glad that I telecommute 99% of the time, as that is on the route to my office.

Racker?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

gently caress using the auto diesel pump, I gots me a TRUCK!

Best part was watching him get the car over that far to try and fuel that way instead of, you know, using the satellite pump RIGHT NEXT TO THE loving BARHJAHSKHKGJHGAJHDGJHGJHFGJH!

I was starting my Obamabreak® so I was just killing time watching him flounder. Then he pulled all the way over to the curb and blocked in that white volvo.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

People in sedans/coupes at 6 lane wide intersection?

A valid question, if you assume people act rationally.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
When Costco gets really busy, my dad will go to whatever lane is the fastest and fill up, even if it means he has to fill up with the pump on the wrong side. It annoys me to no end.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You know that the pumps are designed to do that? As the gentleman above is showing nicely.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

In NY state, there's nothing that really says where U-turners stand in terms of right-of-way. It's simply stated that they have to yield to oncoming traffic.

mariooncrack posted:

When Costco gets really busy, my dad will go to whatever lane is the fastest and fill up, even if it means he has to fill up with the pump on the wrong side. It annoys me to no end.

My husband does that, kind of. Instead of using the pump on the wrong side, though, he backs up to the pump.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Unfortunately, no. They can't get their heads out of their asses and actually hire me. It's fine, this job at AT&T is stable and long-term, just a little boring at times.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Hmmmm...

Pulled up next to this guy, and yelled over "YOU HAVE TO MOVE" and motioned for him to get back on the right side of the road. He backed up 15 feet and stopped. ...Still on the wrong side of the road. Unfortunately, the semi that's turning onto the road in the picture turned left at the light instead of creating a hilarious situation.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Well the lane to his right is clearly labeled as a bike lane so

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Those bike lane markers crack me up, they're like chalk outlines from a crime scene (and have about the same effect)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

mariooncrack posted:

Here's the sign at Costco.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Not sure if I've seen that sign but regardless, I'm an idiot.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Not sure if I've seen that sign but regardless, I'm an idiot.

Yeah Costco has lines are so long and I usually always end up fueling on the opposite side.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

revmoo posted:

Those bike lane markers crack me up, they're like chalk outlines from a crime scene (and have about the same effect)

We have some lovely 'Bikes share the Road' signs around here. With no bike lane (not even the horrifying 3 footers) on a road with a speed limit of 40 where everyone does 50+. No one I've ever seen is suicidal enough to actually ride on that street no matter what the signs say. It's kind of hilarious.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Kanish posted:

Yeah Costco has lines are so long and I usually always end up fueling on the opposite side.

What's the ratio of cars with the fuel filler on drivers vs. passenger side? I would bet the odds are you drive a car with the filler on the drivers side.

Best fuel filler location, 1964 Ford Galaxie, dead center below the trunk. Never on the wrong side.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Fuel doors on the passenger side don't make any sense. There's always going to be a driver, put it on the side closest to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But not all countries put the driver on the same side of the car. :v: