Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
I work with a handful of goons but haven't met up with any of them. I overheard a discussion at work in VA between two goons talking about GiP, but I don't know who they were either offline or online. The DLI sperg thread would indicate that at least eight goons work at the same location as me, but if that's the case I probably don't like them as offline people already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I met quite a few goons from TFR. Went to desert shoot with around 20 of them. Over all not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Only met one on a separate occasion who was a near disaster. Scared me enough to not want to go shooting with random strangers anymore.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I met Mr Nice! in Hawaii and it ended poorly. On another predictable note, my SGLI beneficiary info is jacked, where do I go in the Navy Net to fix that if I can online?

Oh and I heard LingcodKilla talk about how old he was at MEPS when we were sitting in the hallway last year. It was magical because I felt less old.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

I met Mr Nice! in Hawaii and it ended poorly. On another predictable note, my SGLI beneficiary info is jacked, where do I go in the Navy Net to fix that if I can online?

Oh and I heard LingcodKilla talk about how old he was at MEPS when we were sitting in the hallway last year. It was magical because I felt less old.

That was kinda odd to be recognized like that.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Analogical posted:

I work with a handful of goons but haven't met up with any of them. I overheard a discussion at work in VA between two goons talking about GiP, but I don't know who they were either offline or online. The DLI sperg thread would indicate that at least eight goons work at the same location as me, but if that's the case I probably don't like them as offline people already.

If you make it to ctn school you'll meet at least 2 more. We are everywhere.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

If you make it to ctn school you'll meet at least 2 more. We are everywhere.

I'm the tard walking around in black tennis shoes. Feel free to yell about me not blousing my uniform!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm the tard walking around in black tennis shoes. Feel free to yell about me not blousing my uniform!

You all look the same. Especially when marching. I'll keep a lookout at lunchtime and and of classtime for your stragglin rear end and ask you about stairs or something. Or not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
He won't look the same. He's drat near 40 and wearing tennis shoes with his uniform. I figure that should be pretty easy to pick out amongst the greasy pimply faced teenagers.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I don't see the problem here????

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

I flew out to meet my boat on deployment and they gave me a hotel room of my own when I got to the port. I met up with some boat dudes who I had never met and we all went drinking (OBVIOUSLY). At some point during the night one of the dudes disappeared telling us he had an appointment at a tattoo parlor. He returned about 30 minutes later and we continued partying. Near the end of the night he said he didn't want to go back to the boat and asked if he could stay in my hotel room. I assumed this is the point I get raped as part of submarine initiation so I said yes. When I woke up in the morning this dude was passed out face down in the bathroom. I kicked him awake and when he stood up his crotch was covered in blood. Dude went and got his dick pierced and drank lots of alcohol which made the bleeding worse. One of the most traumatic things I've seen.

He ended up getting kicked out for having the HIV which is probably related to his pierced dick and love of whores.

welp thats my story.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 4, 2015

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
im pretty sure i know that dude. FC that got a prince albert while i was in Virginia and loved to show it off, now hes on a DDG

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

You all look the same. Especially when marching. I'll keep a lookout at lunchtime and and of classtime for your stragglin rear end and ask you about stairs or something. Or not.

Yeah I haven't really marched for two months due to a nagging foot injury. I'm seeing the podiatrist on Monday. I'm hoping for a cortisone shot so I can start running again.
I wear black tennis shoes so I'm not that noticeable but I get called out daily with apologies for not having my pants bloused.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

I wear black tennis shoes so I'm not that noticeable

gently caress that. Flaunt your sick, lame, and laziness.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mad Dragon posted:

gently caress that. Flaunt your sick, lame, and laziness.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah I haven't really marched for two months due to a nagging foot injury. I'm seeing the podiatrist on Monday. I'm hoping for a cortisone shot so I can start running again.
I wear black tennis shoes so I'm not that noticeable but I get called out daily with apologies for not having my pants bloused.

I really want your navy story to eventually end that you were in for like 8 months and got medically retired at some ridiculous rating due to a foot injury at great lakes

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

I really want your navy story to eventually end that you were in for like 8 months and got medically retired at some ridiculous rating due to a foot injury at great lakes

Some dreams really do come true!

Nah, big book of navy medicine consider heel spurs to be painful but pretty much nothing else. Just takes time and rest to go away. Chances of surgery are almost zero. I can still waddle the mile and half in under 12 minutes (navy wants me to do it in under 15).

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Been to a couple of goon meets IRL over the years. One of my friends boot camp was actually a goon, but this was before I signed up with an actual account. Used to hang out with his "homies" when I was stationed near him after he got out.

Tokyo goon meet was probably the most normal group of people. Granted a self selecting crowd since they were living in a foreign country.

A goon meet in DC was the worst one. It was just the three of us. One guy was actually wearing a fedora and he brought a bottle of Bombay sapphire. After hitting up a BYOB jazz joint we hit up some bars. He wasn't allowed to bring in the bottle to the bars so he chugged in a parking lot near U street. Went into a bar and awkwardly stood around a bunch of trendy DC yuppies before blacking out and causing a scene after trying to talk to a chick. Got kicked out by the bouncers. Staggered into a tree outside the bar and puked all over himself before hailing a cab and going home. Me and the other dude were like :colbert:

Haven't been on a goon meet since then.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Looks like I really dodged a bullet not going to a DC goon meet. You should check out Denson's Liquor Lounge though, it's like two blocks off the verizon center in the mall's direction with a basement entrance from the street but no sign. Speak Easy style bar with an excellent liquor selection but it can get crowded during peak hours.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I just dont really enjoy bars that much. Unless it's like a fancy whiskey bar and they have 100's of whiskeys to try. Last time I got a flight of Japanese whiskey, which in addition to the setting is the gooniest thing I could do.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

I just dont really enjoy bars that much. Unless it's like a fancy whiskey bar and they have 100's of whiskeys to try. Last time I got a flight of Japanese whiskey, which in addition to the setting is the gooniest thing I could do.

Their whiskey selection was the main reason I went and it's not a dive by any stretch, you'd probably like it as long as it's not a Friday/Saturday peak hour. I went on Tue/Wed a few times and it was pretty empty.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Sir Lucius posted:

japanese whisky is actually loving great so it's not that goony at all, unless you were drinking it with your body pillow

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

japanese whisky is actually loving great so it's not that goony at all, unless you were drinking it with your body pillow

Orihime-waifu makes the bombest drinks, krispykremesucks-senpai just doesnt understand.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
From Idiots on Facebook: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683320&pagenumber=167#post443690842

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lol those chiefs could get their poo poo wrecked for posting that.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I to would like to murder the imaginary antagonist in this STDH story.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

And that AR15 was young Thomas Edison.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

If I report them, will someone nominate me for an Army Commendation medal?

BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle
Unfortunately I know the OP and a couple of people who responded to it. I use FB but I really detest those kinds of posts.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

BovineAdapter posted:

Unfortunately I know the OP and a couple of people who responded to it. I use FB but I really detest those kinds of posts.

Then tell them they are loving stupid. By the way, that woman's profile is public so maybe tell her to make it private too.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
LOL. Being that I am a Female and also a Chief, :chiefsay: I am in a few groups on FB with other female CPOs. I have one of those women blocked so I don't have to see her offensive, immature prattle. Good to see that the Mess is representing as always.

Also, 420 days.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

poopkitty posted:

LOL. Being that I am a Female and also a Chief, :chiefsay: I am in a few groups on FB with other female CPOs. I have one of those women blocked so I don't have to see her offensive, immature prattle. Good to see that the Mess is representing as always.

Also, 420 days.

:devil: Post the screenshot to the MCPON's page. :redass:

Vriess fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 7, 2015

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Vriess posted:

:devil: Post the screenshot to the MCPON's page. :redass:

There's no need to be

:c00lbert:

Petty.

(yes there is)

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
I really doubt MCPON gives a gently caress about some dipshit cheifs, If you've read the times he already knows 1/2 of em are a worthless pack of wannabe frat boys who shout things like tradition and deckplate leadership, whilst knowing the definition of neither. :chiefsay:

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Arione posted:

I really doubt MCPON gives a gently caress about some dipshit cheifs, If you've read the times he already knows 1/2 of em are a worthless pack of wannabe frat boys who shout things like tradition and deckplate leadership, whilst knowing the definition of neither. :chiefsay:

Truuuueeeeeee. If you spot one wearing NAVY CHIEF clothing outside of work, chances are good that they are part of this frat. See also: stickers of goats wearing CPO hats on trucks.

MCPON pretty much just cares about MCPON.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

poopkitty posted:

Truuuueeeeeee. If you spot one wearing NAVY CHIEF clothing outside of work, chances are good that they are part of this frat. See also: stickers of goats wearing CPO hats on trucks.

MCPON pretty much just cares about MCPON.

MCPON cares about mandatory all hands calls and basks in the awe of dumb boots and fuckboys. also skull stickers wearing chief hats, ultimate fuckboy status is earned by an E7 displaying all 3 variations of skull chief stickers. real masterchiefs would only have the masterchief skull. MCPON has reached ultimate form of "gently caress you got mine" syndrome

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Pandasmores posted:

I've met three goons. One was a Nuke that failed out in the first phase, another was Christoff and the last was an ET3 on some ship in San Diego that taught me what a plank owner was since he is one.

I walked/stumbled by your barracks everyday on my way to McDs!

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I think the CPO culture is a bit outdated for today's professional all volunteer Navy. Especially as the Navy becomes smaller and smaller. Same thing with some of the officer communities. Our service is technically oriented and leadership ability is more based on technical competency not rank anyways. We all know of commands/units where some E5 is the backbone or some O2 is the one that actually gets things done. Tends to be better at higher officer ranks but still you some people that have made it to LCDR or CDR and not worth a drat.

We need to reform/abolish CPO/Wardroom/FCPO and other BS and focus more on technical competency for leadership and management positions. If we can abolish enlisted/officer rank structure and just have a unified rank structure that's stovepiped based on duties and roles and authority is based on responsibility and specialization.

Alas it will never happen but one can dream. It would mean DOD wide reform, but even going towards something like the GS pay scale would make more sense. Everybody is on the same pay system and appropriately compensated based on experience/responsibility/ability. Get rid of toxic cultures such as goat locker etc...

Modern sailors aren't broken by class divides like before where enlisted = lower class and officer = upper. Yeah I know more lower income and minorities enlist but the divide is less and changing the system can further move towards a meritocracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

I think the CPO culture is a bit outdated for today's professional all volunteer Navy. Especially as the Navy becomes smaller and smaller. Same thing with some of the officer communities. Our service is technically oriented and leadership ability is more based on technical competency not rank anyways. We all know of commands/units where some E5 is the backbone or some O2 is the one that actually gets things done. Tends to be better at higher officer ranks but still you some people that have made it to LCDR or CDR and not worth a drat.

We need to reform/abolish CPO/Wardroom/FCPO and other BS and focus more on technical competency for leadership and management positions. If we can abolish enlisted/officer rank structure and just have a unified rank structure that's stovepiped based on duties and roles and authority is based on responsibility and specialization.

Alas it will never happen but one can dream. It would mean DOD wide reform, but even going towards something like the GS pay scale would make more sense. Everybody is on the same pay system and appropriately compensated based on experience/responsibility/ability. Get rid of toxic cultures such as goat locker etc...

Modern sailors aren't broken by class divides like before where enlisted = lower class and officer = upper. Yeah I know more lower income and minorities enlist but the divide is less and changing the system can further move towards a meritocracy.

That would be great but it will take like a hundred loving years if the crying about cpo induction not being tradition anymore is anything to go by.

I mean I don't know what the other branches are like but I'm fairly certain the E7s aren't treated completely different than the E6s and below.

When I get back from leave going to call everyone E#, see how long it lasts until maximum butt hurt.

• Locked thread