Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Also a WCW thing that ruled: everything involving Vampiro and ICP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWfCwm98ahs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

stab posted:

look at how wrong you are

:megadeath:

Megadeth is great, but I would prefer to see wrestling on a wrestling show, and I'd rather that WCW wasn't shut down because of excessive spending on things like Megadeth.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Red posted:

Megadeth is great, but I would prefer to see wrestling on a wrestling show, and I'd rather that WCW wasn't shut down because of excessive spending on things like Megadeth.

Ummmm,... Megadeth is a total steal when you consider how much badass metal you get per $

They shouldn't have spent all their money on huge contracts for morons.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Trollologist posted:

Ummmm,... Megadeth is a total steal when you consider how much badass metal you get per $

True, but spending $X on Megadeth was part of a trend on overspending on musical acts that probably didn't move the needle, and led to WCW being closed.

Large guaranteed contracts were a big part of it too, but that's a separate issue.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Trollologist posted:

too bad the song they played was from their shittiest album that they have pretty much disowned

aka perfect for WCW

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Here, mind when Scott Steiner brought that tiger to the ring? Am I right in remembering that he didn't bother to tell anyone he was going to do that?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Didn't that tiger try to eat Rey's eye?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't remember when I stopped watching Nitro regularly. For a long time I would regularly flip back and forth between Raw and Nitro depending on who was on, but increasingly Nitro became something I heard about from others as everything was such a mess that it couldn't hold my attention.

I don't know if there's an identifiable drop-off point, but there did come a time--I think it was actually shortly before Russo coming in--when Nitro just degenerated into complete meaninglessness. After that point there were so many turns, impossible finishes, abortive angles, silly gimmicks, and pointless guest appearances that my mind can't process them into any sort of timeline.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure the Fingerpoke of Doom soured me on WCW for good, but I don't really recall specifically.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The period where they had that terrible new set was when I gave up on Nitro. Once they got rid of it and had the cheapo set with the big tron, I got back into WCW.

I actually really liked that set for whatever reason. I like sets that are simple and have a big screen. When Raw started adding more and more crap to their set it turned me off.

Wasn't a fan of this at all.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I got all excited because I saw a WCW PPV on the network that was billed as Hogan vs The Butcher.

Turns out it wasn't abdullah the butcher at all and that match is in my top 20 worst WCW things ever.

Who the gently caress seriously paid $25 for the privilege of Ed Leslie in a main event role?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

coconono posted:

I got all excited because I saw a WCW PPV on the network that was billed as Hogan vs The Butcher.

Turns out it wasn't abdullah the butcher at all and that match is in my top 20 worst WCW things ever.

Who the gently caress seriously paid $25 for the privilege of Ed Leslie in a main event role?

On WCW's biggest card of the year, no less.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

dsriggs posted:

On WCW's biggest card of the year, no less.

Bash at the Beach was a bigger card that year

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coconono posted:

Well, you paid $9.99 for it...

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Fair call, but you can't main event loving Starrcade with an Ed Leslie match.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At this point I think I've seen Leslie in more segments than matches. Was he ever good at wrestling in singles or tags?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Halloween Jack posted:

At this point I think I've seen Leslie in more segments than matches. Was he ever good at wrestling in singles or tags?

No, he wasn't. He was remarkable at riding coattails, though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I want to say his matches with Greg Valentine as The Dream Team were usually good, especially against The British Bulldogs, but, man, I haven't seen those matches in like 15 years.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

You can see Hogan vs. Abby on the superior wrestling streaming service:

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00044_1_2

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

dsriggs posted:

Fair call, but you can't main event loving Starrcade with an Ed Leslie match.

You probably couldn't headline the Ted Petty Invitational with an Ed Leslie match.

There was a brief window in the 1980s where he was motivated and decent, but aside from that he was awful.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

He's nothing spectacular. He was a better wrestler before the parasailing accident.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I loved Brutus beefcake as a kid

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ayn rand hand job posted:

To the point where Bischoff introduced it to be the big card of the year.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I still want to know who played Cheatum and whatever happened to him.

Death of WCW also got me watching a few choice TNA clips again. In a room with Eric Bischoff, Sting, and a bird, the bird was the best promo. That's not a joke, folks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coconono posted:

It also had Alex Wright beating some no name jobber.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

dsriggs posted:

No, he wasn't. He was remarkable at riding coattails, though.

I remember in bret hart's book leslie was always seen carrying hogan's luggage to and from the arena. That was probably his best work yet.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I was hoping this existed and it's even more beautiful than I imagined

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_World_Order_members

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ColeM posted:

I remember in bret hart's book leslie was always seen carrying hogan's luggage to and from the arena. That was probably his best work yet.

But could he keep track of beer based off how many hit him like Hogan could?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Awesome it lists the Dinner and a Movie hosts (part of the best angle in WCW history.)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

triplexpac posted:

quote:

Kyle Petty (NASCAR driver; joined in September 1996,[5] last ran nWo racecar in September 1997[6])

Wanna drive that car.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Leslie's best segment was when someone yelled "kill yourself" on raw, crystal clear.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's time for the Great American Bash go home Nitro!

Last week Sting joined the Wolfpac. He broke all of our hearts so thank you to HHH for retiring that traitor.

This week:

The Wolfpac wants DDP, will he join?

Jerry Flynn vs Yuji Nagata

1998 MOTY: Reese and Horace vs Hammer and Juvi

Scott Putski vs Eddy Guerrero

Match 6/7: Booker T vs Chris Benoit

Fit Finlay vs Norman Smiley for the TV title

Disco Inferno vs Dean Malenko for the Cruiserweight title

Chavo Guerrero Jr vs Goldberg for the US title

AND SO MUCH MORE!

Join us at 7:30 for the final episode of NECW, 8 PM for Nitro and SSW after Nitro!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Leslie's best segment was when someone yelled "kill yourself" on raw, crystal clear.
The only thing i know him for really was when the rockers broke up on his barbershop segment. Oh and his participation in the warrior angle in 1998 wcw.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Snacksmaniac posted:

I might be misremembering or it's wishful thinking, but I'm pretty sure that was the gist of the promo Money Inc. cut on him before WM9.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The best thing Ed Leslie ever did was his anthrax attack on the city of Boston.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Didn't Beefcake have some good matches with Mr. Perfect before he got hurt?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

The best thing Ed Leslie ever did was his anthrax attack on the city of Boston.

He was no Mooninite!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Guys, I think I love WCW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgT5ta5oWCc

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I legitimately loved Brutus's "the barber" phase when I was little.

He would cut dudes hair with garden shears wrapped in multicoloured crepe paper, and the guy getting his hair cut would sell it like a swarm of death bees.

The funny thing was that most of teh dudes would show up the next week with hair just as long, coz Brutus, being the barber that he was, only cut one 5cm lock of hair.

Now the disciple, the booty man, and toll booth employee can all gently caress themselves though. I will always have my memories of the barber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

I legitimately loved Brutus's "the barber" phase when I was little.

He would cut dudes hair with garden shears wrapped in multicoloured crepe paper, and the guy getting his hair cut would sell it like a swarm of death bees.

The funny thing was that most of teh dudes would show up the next week with hair just as long, coz Brutus, being the barber that he was, only cut one 5cm lock of hair.

Now the disciple, the booty man, and toll booth employee can all gently caress themselves though. I will always have my memories of the barber.

The Disciple was the best thing he ever did inside of pro wrestling. The Apocalypse will punish you for impure thoughts.