Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Have you seen his girlfriend? She's this super hot Russian gymnast. Who was his girlfriend before the leaks. Dude totally got humint'd.
Funny enough, his girlfriend before he started leaking was also a gymnast/stripper. Plus, he was pulling six figures in Hawai'i instead of a lovely Moscow apartment.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I don't understand how some people think you can commit treason and not end up in ADX Florence for the rest of your days.
Eh, Treason is a bit of a reach when they can easily nail him for a whole rainbow espionage act violations and improper handling of classified. I think a lot of people would prefer to avoid a trial, since it would either involve re-hashing a lot of the ugly stuff the government was doing, or a judge making the eyebrow-raising ruling that all the questionable things the government was doing have no bearing on the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Have you seen his girlfriend? She's this super hot Russian gymnast. Who was his girlfriend before the leaks. Dude totally got humint'd.

:tinfoil:

She's Russian, so she'll be smoking hot until they get married and then she'll suddenly turn into a potato with legs.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Zeroisanumber posted:

She's Russian, so she'll be smoking hot until they get married and then she'll suddenly turn into a potato with legs.

Still bitter about that mail order?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Genocide Tendency posted:

Still bitter about that mail order?

Yes. :(

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Enjoy it up until the wedding night, then turn her into vodka.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Zeroisanumber posted:

Solution: Don't get married?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tremblay posted:

Solution: Don't get married?

Make sure they have a good return policy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

gfanikf posted:

Make sure they have a good return policy.

Lease.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

I'm a fan of short term, dubious commitments.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

No money down for E-0 and above!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mad Dragon posted:

No money down for E-0 and above!

*No, money down!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

quote:

A Dutchman kidnapped in Mali in November 2011 has been freed by French special forces soldiers, the French defence ministry said on Monday. According to French president Francois Hollande, the troops had not expected to find a hostage when they carried out the raid on the ‘group of terrorists’ in the early hours of Monday morning. ‘It was a surprise for us and for our troops to be able to free a hostage,’ he told French television.‘We did not have any information about the presence of a hostage.’

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2015/04/french-commandos-free-dutch-hostage-in-mali-held-for-3-5-years/

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
its so nice that we have our very own rss bot

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

if you take that bolded line out of context it's pretty hilarious given how their last hostage rescue went

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

if you take that bolded line out of context it's pretty hilarious given how their last hostage rescue went
:thejoke:

But we shouldn't throw too many stones, since between Linda Norgrove and Luke Somers, we aren't exactly batting 1.000 ourselves these days.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Eh, Treason is a bit of a reach when they can easily nail him for a whole rainbow espionage act violations and improper handling of classified. I think a lot of people would prefer to avoid a trial, since it would either involve re-hashing a lot of the ugly stuff the government was doing, or a judge making the eyebrow-raising ruling that all the questionable things the government was doing have no bearing on the case.

Yeah there's no way in hell Snowden would ever see a trial, same as Lindh (just with massive unconstitutional/illegal surveillance instead of torture).

I mean don't get me wrong, that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't see the inside of Supermax since that's where a lot of espionage cases go just as a matter of course, but the case is one that would never see a jury.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

Mass graves believed to hold Iraqi soldiers have been discovered in newly liberated Tikrit.
Up to 1,700 bodies may be recovered. ISIS claimed to have executed that many soldiers captured in June outside Camp Speicher, a fortified Iraqi base near Tikrit.
CNN's Arwa Damon saw nine bodies recovered by forensics experts at one of the excavation sites. Grieving Iraqis, apparently not related to the soldiers, gathered to pray over the bodies. When the first three bodies were found, 10 Iraqi soldiers saluted the dead by firing seven shots into the air. The national anthem was played while soldiers wept. All the bodies were decomposed. Some had their hands bound, Damon said. The remains will be sent back to Baghdad for DNA tests to establish identify, said Ali Tahir, a director in the Iraqi morgue who was supervising the digging and extraction. Damon said there may be eight mass graves inside the presidential palace complex, which contains the residences of former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, and two other sites outside the city.The presidential palaces complex became ISIS headquarters after the militants occupied the city. Iraqi soldiers and Shiite militias retook Tikrit a few days ago after a fierce battle.Once inside the compound, the soldiers were separated into smaller groups, executed and buried in mass graves, the survivor told Damon. He said he was tossed into a river and floated to an embankment.

On Monday, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said revenge is not the way to deal with the discovery of the bodies. He said several people involved in the killings have been detained. Families of the missing soldiers had been demanding answers from the Iraqi government about what happened. As ISIS swept through northern Iraq in June, some military units were ordered to Camp Speicher.Their families claim the men received orders from their commanders to leave the base and move closer to Baghdad. They left unarmed and in civilian clothes, they say.Military commanders and the Iraqi Defense Ministry denied any such orders being issued and said the men deserted.ISIS released videos that showed what seemed to be an endless line of military recruits marched at gunpoint and later posted images showing cold-blooded mass killings.Damon said Iraqi officials told her it may take weeks or months to exhume all the bodies.

Human Rights Watch described the "Speicher Massacre" -- as it has been dubbed in Iraq -- as the "largest reported incident" where "ISIS captured more than 1,000 soldiers fleeing Camp Speicher ... then summarily executed at least 800 of them."Based on satellite imagery and witness testimony, Human Rights Watch last year was able to identity a number of mass grave sites inside Tikrit and the presidential palace complex.The families gave DNA samples to the Iraqi Ministry of Health last year so authorities would be able to match them to unidentified bodies the government may find.

When I was at Speicher the "Speicher Massacre" was what we called it when the DFAC tried to do a surf and turf night and cooked frozen lobster, then everyone showed up at the CSH that night making GBS threads themselves.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arguably a more heinous crime.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

When I was at Speicher the "Speicher Massacre" was what we called it when the DFAC tried to do a surf and turf night and cooked frozen lobster, then everyone showed up at the CSH that night making GBS threads themselves.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
:nsavince:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Holy poo poo, that D&D Okinawa US Bases thread.

:holymoley:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Rand Paul is running for president

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/04/07/rand-paul-set-to-announce-presidential-run/

quote:

White, black, brown, rich, poor, with tattoos and without tattoos, with earrings and without earrings,” Paul told a room packed full of young people in February at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Oxon Hill, Md. “We need to take our message where it’s not been before.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

That thread is loving amazing. 'Nah, democratic principles, civil liberties, human rights, etc supercede "national defense" in virtually every circumstance.'

Lol what a fuckstick, what does he think those nice things are backed by?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Spark notes version please

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

holocaust bloopers posted:

All US Bases on Okinawa need to go because a vocal minority wants them to. Never mind that Japan's government doesn't want the bases to go for many obvious reasons. US bad for creating an occupation force after WWII and establishing bases that are still there. Etc etc.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Russian nuclear submarine on fire in dry dock

A man who has never been there and doesn't know what a NIMBY is has in TYOOL 2015 decided that US bases on Okinawa are an unconscionable affront to the sovereignty and dignity of the Ryukyu people.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
China would throw a party

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think 200 years of Japan getting their nose rubbed in defeat ought to be about right. Of course by then there might not be any Japs left so then we can just have it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Didn't take long for someone to throw out "stolen lands" in that DnD thread.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Didn't take long for someone to throw out "stolen lands" in that DnD thread.

Was surprised someone didn't post "literally shaking" when it was pointed out to them that Japan signed an unconditional surrender at the end of the war, and thus the lands were not "stolen".

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I think it's cool and good that the Okinawan argument is nearly the same as with any military base and the surrounding area: noise complaints.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Now you know who was stealing a lot of other people's land roughly 75 years ago?:haw:

I think it's cool and good that the Okinawan argument is nearly the same as with any military base and the surrounding area: noise complaints.
drat you Yankee for interrupting all the sex I'm not having!

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

that japan op posted:

The lands hosting the US military were forcefully acquired in the aftermath of world war 2, without the consent of their previous owners.

StartShitGetHit.txt

also lol at the one dude claiming that the japanese civil air defense is top notch because of US equipment and could feasibly defend against all of asia once the US peaces out. at the risk of :can:, isn't it japan that has the group of people into the cartoon-plane loving stuff?

(THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO POST ANIME, PLEASE gently caress)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Waroduce posted:

China would throw a party

...On Okinawa, most likely.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fucitol posted:

StartShitGetHit.txt

also lol at the one dude claiming that the japanese civil air defense is top notch because of US equipment and could feasibly defend against all of asia once the US peaces out. at the risk of :can:, isn't it japan that has the group of people into the cartoon-plane loving stuff?

(THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO POST ANIME, PLEASE gently caress)

GIS for cartoon plane gives this

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

plz no more it is v triggering 2 me

a simple "yes" would have worked.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

what hath i wrought

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

"Complete flooding of the dock with water is being considered."

Apparently they're having a rough time putting it out. Maybe try poking it with an exploding stick?

• Locked thread