Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Soup du Jour posted:

Cool idea: Sansa-as-Alayne runs around Winterfell undermining the Boltons and helping Theon regain his identity.
loving awful idea: Sansa gets raped by Ramsay after Littlefinger leaves her alone for no reason.

Thanks to Iwan and Sophie's comments, I think it's clear which option D&D went with.

“We had an assistant named Dave Hill,” say Benioff and Weiss. “One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know that kid whose family gets massacred by the wildlings? The one who runs to Castle Black to let them know the wildlings are nearby?’ ‘Yeah?’ ‘Well,’ said Dave, ‘doesn’t it make sense that he’d stay at Castle Black and become a Night’s Watch recruit? Where else is he going to go?’ ‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.’ ‘And what if during the battle for Castle Black, he’s the one who ends up killing Ygritte?’ This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Does LF getting called back to King's Landing mean he is going to take the spot of Kevan and get crossbowed by Varys at the end?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Show-Sansa goes from Joffrey to Ramsay. Girl can't catch a break.

I guess they could contrast how she handled Joffrey with how she handle's the show's replacement psycho to show how she's grown?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm just going to hope when Stannis wrecks the Bolton's poo poo Ramsay throws a fit and Sansa stabs him or something.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

MrBims posted:

This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show.”

New thread title.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
It makes no sense at all. What would LF's endgame here be? To control the north? He doesn't need the Boltons, he has Sansa loving Stark, the heir to Winterfell as far as anyone knows. He could just be like "Yo all you northern lords that loved Ned so much. I've got his daughter! Wouldn't you like to back her as Lady of Winterfell? gently caress these other guys that everyone hates/mistrusts."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Maybe the spoilers are fake?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
They all seem pretty plausible to me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Sansa and Barristan plots sounds pretty dumb, but the Dorne stuff could be good.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe the spoilers are fake?
No, they are true.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
gently caress. So Sansa's storyline finally becomes worthwhile in the books and they change it? Winterfell and Theon's redemption is the single best part of the last book and they're completely reworking it? This better be entertaining as hell to make up for some dumb changes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Eh they'll all be brutally murdered by White Walkers in the end anyway. Or at least I hope.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MrBims posted:

“We had an assistant named Dave Hill,” say Benioff and Weiss. “One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know that kid whose family gets massacred by the wildlings? The one who runs to Castle Black to let them know the wildlings are nearby?’ ‘Yeah?’ ‘Well,’ said Dave, ‘doesn’t it make sense that he’d stay at Castle Black and become a Night’s Watch recruit? Where else is he going to go?’ ‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.’ ‘And what if during the battle for Castle Black, he’s the one who ends up killing Ygritte?’ This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show.”

To be fair it's not the most retarded idea that's been in the show, how he got a writers job out of it I dunno, but when the kid ran off to castle black after seeing his parents get killed I saw almost straight away he was going to take the place of Jon Snow's twink squire.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Jorghnassen posted:

Well, while we still have six days to wait until there's a new episode, Sesame Street is getting into the Game of Thrones parody action. It's pretty good and spoilery (for past events, unless a Greyjoy pays the Iron Price for the Iron Throne).

This doesn't deserve to get lost in the spoiler scramble, it's worth a chuckle. Do Sesame Street normally parody adult shows? I can't imagine many children will get the references.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dolash posted:

This doesn't deserve to get lost in the spoiler scramble, it's worth a chuckle. Do Sesame Street normally parody adult shows? I can't imagine many children will get the references.

They do it a lot. The references are for parents watching with their kids.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Zippy the Bummer posted:

The only way that Sansa marrying Ramsay would work is if the Boltons and LF were willing to go to war with the south...again. Since you know, everyone thinks Sansa helped kill Joffrey and are all looking for her to arrest her. It makes no sense at all.

He does have an entire loving army that wasn't spent or wasted fighting in the previous war.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

gently caress. So Sansa's storyline finally becomes worthwhile in the books and they change it? Winterfell and Theon's redemption is the single best part of the last book and they're completely reworking it? This better be entertaining as hell to make up for some dumb changes.
Well, we're gonna have to wait and see. It's also loving dumb to assume that just because the book story is a good one, the show one can't be. Also, I get the feeling that the Vale stuff is just another of George's loving detours, of which there's maybe one or two moments worth keeping (cf. AFFC/ADWD Brienne, Tyrion, Dany, Jaime). Those moments will be probably worked in.

If he's lost his ability to keep the story tight (or decided to go fully postmodern, who cares for an ending anyhow?), and the show has to force it together for him, of course there'll be some issues at the seams. Let's just wait and see.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm a little upset that Barristan dies to the Sons of the Harpy, but the show was criminally wasting him anyway. At least Bronn barely survives as far as we know in Dorne, because that actor is totally rocking the role.

Also I'm a bit surprised by Tommen and Marg actually boning, but it doesn't really change much since he is not living past this season.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BillehS posted:

Does LF getting called back to King's Landing mean he is going to take the spot of Kevan and get crossbowed by Varys at the end?

Insha'Allah.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
According to the leaker, Janos getting beheaded is the highlight of the first 4 eps and says it's awesome as hell.

I think that website made the leaks sound really poo poo, there is some pretty cool stuff the leaker has been talking about, like Kevan and Lancel both coming back in big ways with Kevan not taking any poo poo.

Also Stannis has more awesome scenes with Jon. Oh and the leaker said Brienne is going North to help Sansa, she has no idea Stannis is in the North yet. LF is certainly way more retarded in the show, which sucks because in S1 it's quite clear he isn't.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 7, 2015

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
Ugh you couple the Sansa-Ramsay storyline with the interview Ramsay's actor saying he had a truly despicable scene he had to film this year and it's looking less and less good for Sansa.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Hoopaloops posted:

Ugh you couple the Sansa-Ramsay storyline with the interview Ramsay's actor saying he had a truly despicable scene he had to film this year and it's looking less and less good for Sansa.

I like how they give Sansa character development that makes no sense ("she's a serious player now!") then just stick her with Joffrey 2.0.

Also, in that interview he seems absolutely done with the show. He seemed to enjoy playing the villain in earlier seasons, and now it's all about how much he can't wait to killed off the show and how the crew treats the extras like garbage.

Nouvelle Vague fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 7, 2015

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I literally laughed out loud at the only Meereen spoiler being "Barristan is murdered by the Sons of Harpy"

Fuckin poor Show Barristan. Fights no one, stands in the background, gets ganked by extras.

I could see the Littlefinger stuff actually dovetailing with the book storyline. With Stannis presumably triumphing over the Boltons militarily, I could see Littlefinger temporarily declaring for Stannis and revealing Sansa as leverage. Would give him claims or partial claims to 3 kingdoms with the Vale, Riverlands and the North.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
So the story that Natalie Dormer asked them to change the Margaery/Tommen bedroom scene last season because she didn't feel comfortable with her character loving such a young kid- that was bullshit? Cuz it seems weird for her to do that and then turn around and be fine with Margaery and Tommen "loving like rabbits."

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

I literally laughed out loud at the only Meereen spoiler being "Barristan is murdered by the Sons of Harpy"

Fuckin poor Show Barristan. Fights no one, stands in the background, gets ganked by extras.

He's definitely in the running for the character to whom the show has done the most disservice, either him or Loras probably. Though as far as minor characters go I'm still kinda mad about how useless Qhorin Halfhand ended up being too.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
At the fear of being a nerdrage book purist, which characters haven't been disserviced by the show other than maybe Robert and Ned?

The more the show progresses the more it's clear (to me) that trying to adapt a ponderous piece heavily driven by internal monologues to TV was bound to go off rails at some point and become a parody of the source material. Going by the spoilers I just can't see this coming season being any good, and the previous two were also kinda crap short of some good scenes.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

I could see the Littlefinger stuff actually dovetailing with the book storyline. With Stannis presumably triumphing over the Boltons militarily, I could see Littlefinger temporarily declaring for Stannis and revealing Sansa as leverage. Would give him claims or partial claims to 3 kingdoms with the Vale, Riverlands and the North.

Apparently Barristan wrecks a bunch of dudes before getting overwhelmed, so hopefully he gets a sufficiently awesome death scene at least.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

At the fear of being a nerdrage book purist, which characters haven't been disserviced by the show other than maybe Robert and Ned?

The more the show progresses the more it's clear (to me) that trying to adapt a ponderous piece heavily driven by internal monologues to TV was bound to go off rails at some point and become a parody of the source material. Going by the spoilers I just can't see this coming season being any good, and the previous two were also kinda crap short of some good scenes.

I think Varys is pretty accurate.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Arya, Robb, Jon, the Hound, Oberyn, Tyrion, Jaime, Tywin... I think that most of them, actually. And there are some - Cersei, Brienne, Margaery, Daenerys - that I definitely prefer on the show to the books.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

meristem posted:

Arya, Robb, Jon, the Hound, Oberyn, Tyrion, Jaime, Tywin... I think that most of them, actually. And there are some - Cersei, Brienne, Margaery, Daenerys - that I definitely prefer on the show to the books.

Book Jaime is totally a rapist.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I think Margaery and Oberyn have been done better on the show than in the books.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nouvelle Vague posted:

I like how they give Sansa character development that makes no sense ("she's a serious player now!") then just stick her with Joffrey 2.0.

Also, in that interview he seems absolutely done with the show. He seemed to enjoy playing the villain in earlier seasons, and now it's all about how much he can't wait to killed off the show and how the crew treats the extras like garbage.

Hopefully it means the Boltons are all dying this season. Also what did he say about the crew treating extras badly?

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hopefully it means the Boltons are all dying this season. Also what did he say about the crew treating extras badly?

It was short, but it was something like they're always freezing and no one takes care of them. That might happen on other shows too, though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The extras should fish, then.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Nouvelle Vague posted:

I think Varys is pretty accurate.

Show-Varys never has a clue what is going on and makes inappropriate "I want my head chopped off" glares at the people in power, like at Joffrey's wedding and Tywin ordering Tyrion's execution. He is closer to the books than LF, but is still unrealistic and inconsistent with what his place in the story is supposed to be.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I did like getting to see his "Well, poo poo" moment on the show when he got on the boat in the S4 finale.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Book Olenna sucks compared to Show Olenna, her returning to gently caress with Cersei's plans is going to be so gold.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Nouvelle Vague posted:

I didn't get that impression at all, just that he had some unpleasant scenes which he didn't want to do.

“Some stuff I’ve done in the season coming now really disturbs me. Learning it at home, gearing myself up, it’s horrible. Then when I get on the set, in my trailer, that day, oh God, I really don’t want to do it. You’ve got to slap yourself, ‘Come on, it’s not real’.”

“Yeah, he does,” he says, laughing. “He thinks, ‘It’s great, I’m gonna f--- some s--- up.’ He’s gonna get one hell of a horrendous death, though. I’d like a dragon-related death. That’d be a good way to go. I just hope it’s not this year because I’ve bought a flat. I need Ramsay to go on doing terrible things till I’ve paid for it.”

Which unless he's trying to mislead implies he survives the season and wants his character to get to season 7.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Ague Proof posted:

“Yeah, he does,” he says, laughing. “He thinks, ‘It’s great, I’m gonna f--- some s--- up.’ He’s gonna get one hell of a horrendous death, though. I’d like a dragon-related death. That’d be a good way to go. I just hope it’s not this year because I’ve bought a flat. I need Ramsay to go on doing terrible things till I’ve paid for it.”

Which unless he's trying to mislead implies he survives the season and wants his character to get to season 7.

Nothing I've read indicates that Ramsey dies this season, but we'll be waaay past ADwD by the time this season ends, so it's anyone's guess what Ramsey's plot purpose is past a Theon redemption arc and causing the North to rally around anyone but him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The Theon chapters in Dance are probably my favorite part of all the books and I'm going to get kinda mad if they mess it up.

• Locked thread