Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Hey, for my earlier zombie question I figured it out. I was thinking zombies were wildlife, so i thought making them butcherable should work. Since they used to be people you need to make zombies butcherable and make stranger bodies butcherable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah, you need to do the same for each cooking bill too.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

A bit of a weird issue, but my mods apparently have so many things on the tailor menu that I can't actually see the task for refining cotton into cloth. Any known workaround to this?

Arianya fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 6, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There is no such task unless one of your mods adds such a thing, cotton is cloth (actually textile, in the same way leathers are).

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

There is no such task unless one of your mods adds such a thing, cotton is cloth (actually textile, in the same way leathers are).

You were on the money. It was dependent on a (modded in) research project, that then allowed a textiles bench. Woops!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So, how are you guys liking the "real-time tactics IN SPACE" part?

I think equipment balance stacks up nicely, so that if I've prioritized getting some automatic weapons and armor vests, I will generally succeed versus poorly equipped waste bandits. Same thing with skills, a careful shot sniper rifle operator with high shooting is a fantastic asset but not completely game breaking.

However, I can't really tell if the effort I put into tactics are having any effect. It seems my battles go well when I try to use rubble for cover and flank opponents, but I don't know if this is due to superior equipment/personal skill, or if trying to use strategy actually has mechanics in-game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The use of cover and positioning to nullify the enemy's cover is massively important in battle. Good cover will reduce your chance to be shot by between 60 and 80%. Similarly, good positioning to outlflank the enemy will nullify their equally effective cover.

Good weapons are also important, especially with the new quality system, as a quality gun will be leagues above its peers in terms of accuracy and far better than anything the raiders are likely to bring.

Making sure your good colonists get the right weapons is also important, automatic weapons can hit more accurately than their to-hit stats would suggest. Chance to hit is more accurately rendered as chance to hit what you're aiming at or chance to intentionally hit. A bullet will still hit something if it intersects the location of the enemy, so a high rate of fire gun will put so much fire downrange that it will hit just because there are a finite number of ways it can miss without hitting the enemy.

Subsequently, lovely shooters can still hit with enough people shooting, or enough bullets being shot. Whereas slow firing weapons are better in the hands of good shooters who can make all the shots count.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah if you have any hard cover (rock wall or constructed wall) then you can make the enemy AI do some super dumb things. You want to keep an eye out for charge rifles, heavy SMGs and assault rifles, all of these are great. If you get any dudes with Trigger-happy, put your miniguns / LMGs on them. Once you get 10 or so combat capable dudes equipped, there's not really anything that can threaten you any more in the vanilla game, even the mechanoid drops can be handled if you have some hard cover to exploit their pathing AI. I don't think Careful Shooter is all that good a trait, I'd much rather have a guy with Trigger-happy instead. Especially in a group of defenders, you start realizing the Careful Shooter/Sniper RIfle guy rarely gets to shoot because the target is already dead, killed buy your assault rifle dudes.

You can see what effect forms of cover have in advance, with a couple of your own colonists; activate them both, place one in cover and select the other and then mouse over the colonist in cover, you'll get a target status floating context label.

e: Miniguns/LMGs are a lot nicer vs groups, e.g. zombies

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Tias posted:

However, I can't really tell if the effort I put into tactics are having any effect. It seems my battles go well when I try to use rubble for cover and flank opponents, but I don't know if this is due to superior equipment/personal skill, or if trying to use strategy actually has mechanics in-game.

As others have said, you definitely want to use hard cover whenever you can. Rubble, trees, even sandbags, while obviously better than nothing, will still lead to your colonists getting shot to poo poo in a prolonged battle, especially when attacks amp up in size and complexity. Hard cover is the way to go because it can nullify the vast majority of incoming fire.

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't think Careful Shooter is all that good a trait, I'd much rather have a guy with Trigger-happy instead. Especially in a group of defenders, you start realizing the Careful Shooter/Sniper RIfle guy rarely gets to shoot because the target is already dead, killed buy your assault rifle dudes.

It's excellent when you're engaged in a long-range shoot-out over time, such as when you're assaulting an enemy siege camp. Designated shooters with the trait and bionics to bolster their accuracy even further can really clean house. Of course, ideally your sniper team will have some shorter range dudes to deal with the melee chargers that are inevitably drawn out, because you can't rely on the careful shooters to take them out in time.

When you're defending against a large attack they're obviously less useful for the reasons you mention, though I usually find you can count on them getting at least few kills here and there. I actually hope Tyanan changes the targeting system at some point, because I often have that problem with minigun-users where they're constantly switching targets before firing. I'd prefer it if the aiming phase were shared between targets, even if that doesn't sound realistic.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I don't bother to put a minigun on a character any more unless they have Trigger-happy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a Careful Shooter with a minigun get swarmed by tribals the other day, he had a clear shot from max range but STILL didn't manage to aim it before the tornado of shivs and clubs hit him. :(

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah minigun + careful shooter is a poor combo. You use miniguns for dealing with mobs so point accuracy doesn't really matter and trigger-happy guys can have a field day in that situation. In fact the only real weapon it's good for is the sniper rifle, since every other weapon is too short-ranged to be worth it, or have roles that don't lend themselves well to the trait.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Drunk in Space posted:

Yeah minigun + careful shooter is a poor combo. You use miniguns for dealing with mobs so point accuracy doesn't really matter and trigger-happy guys can have a field day in that situation. In fact the only real weapon it's good for is the sniper rifle, since every other weapon is too short-ranged to be worth it, or have roles that don't lend themselves well to the trait.

A careful shooter sniper with a couple buddies to knock away the rushers is a monster at breaking sieges though. Just stand out at max range and plink their mortars. Knock out the real threat and splash damage a few schlubs before falling back to your defense. Now that the generic planning thing shows the number of tiles you are dragging it I like to use that to mark out distances to targets.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Does anyone else use melee fighters? I've been keeping a small group with longswords and shields to support my shooters and they've been incredibly handy. I'll use them to strengthen my line, support shooters that are being swarmed, fight fires (do shields protect them from fire some? It seems as if it may buy I'm not sure), rescue people that have been downed in dangerous areas, hunt enemy snipers, and to break those Naked Gun style stalemates that pop up on occasion. I'll sometimes grab a few of them and send them into pirate camps at night to chop them up while they sleep, which they really excel at. I used three to wipe out a dozen strong pirate camp in a single night without a shot being fired. I also seem to have better luck using them to stop kidnappers, since a melee fighter will dog them to edge of the map with out having to be re-positioned.

I want to outfit them with cyber limbs one of these games so they can just blitz people and disengage without being pulled into a big ol' brawl.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I really would like to, but they don't even make good hunters. When I had a colonist with 18 melee and a high quality plasteel gladius get a foot bitten off while hunting *a turtle*, that taught me that dedicated melees are just not very good at all.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I really would like to, but they don't even make good hunters. When I had a colonist with 18 melee and a high quality plasteel gladius get a foot bitten off while hunting *a turtle*, that taught me that dedicated melees are just not very good at all.

Just because they're bad at hunting doesn't mean they're bad at combat. Animals don't have ranged attacks to fight back against your shooters, raiders do. And the raiders carrying guns can't actually do much once a melee fighter gets inclose.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah they are terrible at fighting animals for some reason, although strangely enough out of desperation one game I sent them in a suicide charge at some Centipedes and they managed to kill one and gently caress up a second real good before they were all downed or dead, which is a hell of a lot more than I expected them to do. This doesn't work against scythers for obvious reasons.

I started using them because I wound up with a bunch of colonists that couldn't shoot one game. You don't want them to be you're main force at all, and you need to use the buddy system with them, but I still think they make excellent support troops, and murder the poo poo out of enemy shooters if you can get them in a position to swarm them.

EDIT: Also in my opinion longswords are the only game in town. Even a lovely longsword seems roughly as effective as a really nice gladius.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 8, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Slime posted:

Just because they're bad at hunting doesn't mean they're bad at combat. Animals don't have ranged attacks to fight back against your shooters, raiders do. And the raiders carrying guns can't actually do much once a melee fighter gets inclose.

That's only part of the point - how do you get them practice in melee without hunting? Also I play with the zombie apocalypse mod, and basically melee is just something to be avoided at pretty much all costs there.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I use my melee guys to interrupt ranged enemies before running back to cover. Repeat until your snipers down everyone.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Ive liked to bait out shorter range siegers with snipers, and have them path directly in front of a hidden group of expendable melee to stall them. Life expectancy of melee fighters isnt so great.

Whats the prostrat for dealing with multuple centipedes from a crashed ship part? Snipers from a pre built shooting blind is still kinda iffy

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Heffer posted:

Ive liked to bait out shorter range siegers with snipers, and have them path directly in front of a hidden group of expendable melee to stall them. Life expectancy of melee fighters isnt so great.

Whats the prostrat for dealing with multuple centipedes from a crashed ship part? Snipers from a pre built shooting blind is still kinda iffy

Legit way: Get the Scythers to chase you and take them out, then snipe the centipedes. If they are resolute on charging then space your guys out in a field and duke it out with good guns like m-16s

The cheaty way is to build a building around them and light the inside on fire. They are susceptible to super high heat.

Other cheaty way is to just build a bunch of turrets right next to it and have that chain reaction take them out.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The other cheaty way is to install that turret mod and research the high end turrets because 1 or 2 of those can take out literally anything.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm gonna try a melee heavy/all melee colony but I guess that means I have to turn off zombies :smith:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Do colonists die of old age, or do they just get progressively worse stats?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Donkringel posted:

Do colonists die of old age, or do they just get progressively worse stats?

Age reduces your ability to develop immunities to diseases, so eventually, a colonist will reach the point where they are unable to stave off a disease before it kills them.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Bondematt posted:

Legit way: Get the Scythers to chase you and take them out, then snipe the centipedes. If they are resolute on charging then space your guys out in a field and duke it out with good guns like m-16s

The cheaty way is to build a building around them and light the inside on fire. They are susceptible to super high heat.

Other cheaty way is to just build a bunch of turrets right next to it and have that chain reaction take them out.

Build cover on each side of the crashed ship part and put dudes on both sides of the crashed ship. Mechanoids have real problems focusing fire (by design) and so get confused by fire coming from multiple places and will tend to aim at one dude, get hit in the rear end, spin around and try to shoot the dude that just hit them, then rinse and repeat till they're dead.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Age reduces your ability to develop immunities to diseases, so eventually, a colonist will reach the point where they are unable to stave off a disease before it kills them.

Oh, very clever! I like it.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Drone_Fragger posted:

Build cover on each side of the crashed ship part and put dudes on both sides of the crashed ship. Mechanoids have real problems focusing fire (by design) and so get confused by fire coming from multiple places and will tend to aim at one dude, get hit in the rear end, spin around and try to shoot the dude that just hit them, then rinse and repeat till they're dead.

If you have a guy with a reasonably decent personal shield, centipedes with miniguns and energy cannons can't seem to hit them enough to bring the shield down. Just have that one guy run around just outside of melee range, staying moving to reduce hit chance, while you have some other guys with whatever automatic weapons you have wear it down. The Centipede will focus on the nearest person and leave your fire team unmolested.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I really wish there was some kind of stun weapon, my colony is so good at killing invaders that I have no one to capture :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You have to tone down your militia for this, yeah. Some people have made stun turrets but I don't believe anyone's come up with a stun gun, at least not in a narrow-scope mod that just has that. You can make wooden maces and put them on your brawler dudes though, to give them something to do.

I disabled the zombie mod for a while to try an all-melee colony and wow, the game is really dull without zombies. Also melee just stinks and is terrible, even with highly skilled fighters (15-17). While I didn't have a lot of trouble fending off invaders, everyone got cut up really badly and there's so much more risk and downtime. Plus the downtime of treating my own wounded made it way harder to actually capture prisoners, who also needed treatment for all the bleeding they were doing. Probably maces work a lot better for capturing dudes than longswords but still, wow that's unrewarding as gently caress.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Melee dudes are fine for specific tasks, but your go to defenders should definitely be gunners.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Given the number of bugfixes in the changelog, I wonder if a new release is due soon.

I've not even fired up this version, been too distracted by KSP and Cities: Skylines. The nice thing about RimWorld is he does a good job of documenting the new things. (Though I still miss blasting charges.)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure the modders with really heavily popular mods are already testing with alpha 10, yeah.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The current version is not that great anyway. The quality/deterioration thing adds complexity and micro but doesn't make things any more fun or interesting. I'm sure he'll add more tithe system but for now it's just annoying.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I don't think I understand what "hard cover" means in this context. Placing my colonists behind a constructed wall means they can't see, and thus not fire, at enemies. Why would I want to do that?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tias posted:

I don't think I understand what "hard cover" means in this context. Placing my colonists behind a constructed wall means they can't see, and thus not fire, at enemies. Why would I want to do that?

If you put them at the end of the wall they lean around it. Like, if you put a guy behind a 1x1 pillar he will lean out and shoot. I'm not sure exactly what his range of vision is but it's pretty good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

No it doesn't, placing them behind the end of a wall means they will lean out around it and fire at things on the other side of the wall. They have a limited firing angle on the side where the wall extends (because they'd have to walk all the way around it to be able to shoot along the front of the wall) but they get a perfectly servicable cone in front of the wall. You can see your firing angle if you draft the colonist and click their weapon, it should shade the area you can shoot in, I think?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh, allright! That's cool.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You also do that because if you break line of sight, it will force enemies to path towards you until they have a line of fire at you, which you can exploit to get them to come into closer range than they would otherwise prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone tell me of a simple mod for Alpha 9 that will allow me to place natural flooring? I miss fertilizer pumps.

edit: also how about one to change the colour of the colonist's clothes? I had one, it was just like a dresser you built and they could go up to it and pick from a colour wheel. Can't remember it's name.. :(

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 11, 2015