Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

tbp posted:

you raise some good points, and hell, i can never begrudge a fan their favorite character. also i am actually wondering if the androids can train now, or if they have a hard limit on their power levels. i bet they can train.

Toriyama said they could in the Q&A where he revealed thier human names and 17 becoming a Park Ranger:

quote:

Q4: Do modified-human types like Artificial Humans No. 17 and No. 18 get stronger if they train?
Since they’re human-based, of course they can become even stronger if they train.
In the case of modified-human types like No. 17 and No. 18, since they’re human-based they can become stronger if they train. By the way, though they don’t need to eat, they do need to hydrate. Also, their cells deteriorate slowly, so they age slowly too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xibanya posted:

DBZA is most on point when taking what is shown to us by the actual source material and taking it to its logical conclusion.

That's honestly why I like DBZ Abridged. It never really becomes its own radically separate thing, it always feels like something made by people who truly love the original series and are merely having fun with it. In comparison, I find YGO Abridged painfully unfunny at this point and it's basically its own thing that just references "lol card games" at times.

Also my favourite character as a kid was Future Trunks because he's a badass from the future who's all stoic and awesome and has a cool sword. My favourite character as something defined by society as an adult is Future Trunks because he's a badass from the future who's nowhere near as stoic as I remembered but still awesome and has a cool sword and heavy dad problems plus his own fair share of mental trauma. And if you disagree, then disappear for good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The 1st season was really loving bad and Nappa was really bad, only good in hindsight once they corrected a lot of his annoyance in Freiza arc. In general, they got better once they removed a lot of outside-source memes and Kaiser learned to add in ambience better.

Compare to how empty and silent the first few episodes are to the latest episodes where it's much more active, especially with music at times.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

facebook jihad posted:

Yes. The King Piccolo saga is peak Dragon Ball in general.

The King Piccolo and Piccolo Jr. Sagas own hardcore. The Piccolo saga is where DBZ truly begins in my eyes and you don't fully appreciate the badassery of Piccolo until you read that stuff. And it makes it even cooler than the once evil Piccolo softens up and becomes like a father figure to Gohan.

Original Dragon Ball should be required reading because it explains what's the deal with Kami, Piccolo, why everybody is flying and shooting Kung Fu lasers and what's the deal with all the seemingly random characters that just show up like Korin, Tien and Yajirobe.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I asked this earlier, but anyone know where I can order Dragon Ball Z Kai Season 1 for a decent price? A lot of the online retailers are backordered on it, and Amazon (who still doesn't have it in stock) raised their price on it by 20 dollars. I almost bought it from a Hastling on ebay, but they suddenly increased the price by six dollars while I was out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
piccolo is literally a better father to gohan than goku

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Gammatron 64 posted:

The King Piccolo and Piccolo Jr. Sagas own hardcore. The Piccolo saga is where DBZ truly begins in my eyes and you don't fully appreciate the badassery of Piccolo until you read that stuff. And it makes it even cooler than the once evil Piccolo softens up and becomes like a father figure to Gohan.

Original Dragon Ball should be required reading because it explains what's the deal with Kami, Piccolo, why everybody is flying and shooting Kung Fu lasers and what's the deal with all the seemingly random characters that just show up like Korin, Tien and Yajirobe.

its almost unreal how much children like myself will just accept. like when goku visited korin, i didnt really question it at all, it was just a magic cat sensei that lived on a huge tower, for some reason. not seeing db before dbz never once confused me i think

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You don't really need to see DB before DBZ just to know who tien and yajirobe are.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Gammatron 64 posted:

"If you want to experience a story, don't skip the first ~40% of it," is just good advice in general, really.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Having watched DB multiple times before ever even knowing DBZ was a thing, the idea of watching that series first and enjoying it is really weird to me. I mean, tons of character get no explanation who they are or what they do. I don't even remember, do they ever actually explain, who for example Roshi is and what his relationship with the rest of the cast is?

But I guess tbp has a point, as a child, you don't really question a lot of these things, you just accept them at face value.

e X fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 7, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

e X posted:

Having watched DB multiple times before ever even knowing DBZ was a thing, the idea of watching that series first and enjoying it is really weird to me. I mean, tons of character get no explanation who they are or what they do. I don't even remember, do they ever actually explain, who for example Roshi is and what his relationship with the rest of the cast is?

But I guess tbp has a point, as a child, you don't really question a lot of these things, you just accept them at face value.

You are told Roshi is Goku and Krillin and Yamucha's old master at some point I think. Tien's backstory is never explained. Korin is just a weird Cat who grows senzu beans, and you know that Kami is the "Guardian" of the earth, but what that means doesn't come up. You just accept it because laser kung fu.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Prison Warden posted:

"If you want to experience a story, don't skip the first ~40% of it," is just good advice in general, really.

Yeah. Like I said earlier, I don't really like to separate DB and DBZ all that much and like to see them as just one big story. If we go by the manga, there is no DBZ - DBZ is just the last 2/3rds of Dragon Ball. The last 60% of the manga is called "DBZ" in the US because DBZ is what got popular and has the name recognition.

Granted, you don't need to know what the gently caress is up with Korin or Tien or whatever to enjoy DBZ because they're totally unimportant characters, but reading\watching Dragon Ball first before DBZ makes DBZ a lot better.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Horrible Taste posted:

Toriyama said they could in the Q&A where he revealed thier human names and 17 becoming a Park Ranger:

omg

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I started watching DBZ sometime during the Namek saga and didn't see the Saiyan saga until after the Frieza fight had finished airing and it didn't at all affect my enjoyment of the show. I was twelve years old and all I cared about were big explosions and guys punching dudes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So should I start Abridged from Namek then.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

alcharagia posted:

Probably, though the first season isn't that long.

As about when they get to a namek, the show changes to basically a situational comedy starring DBZ characters.

You don't even have to know that much about the show, though it helps sometimes.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'd still probably recommend starting from the beginning if you have time. The first season is bad compared to their work from (real) Namek onward, but there are still some good funny parts.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

alcharagia posted:

I think the nappa/vegeta fight part, episode 8, was alright so it might be ok to start there, or at least watch dbz kai abridged episode 1 then start Namek

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Of course there always this option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo5Rhn8zuPA

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Rodyle posted:

I don't remember this All of Them thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjGShZSEsRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESDAXKC2418&t=352s

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As grating as TFS Nappa can be, the visual pun in the whole Saiyan College bit is a masterpiece.

"What did you major in?"

"Child psychology...

WITH A MINOR IN PAIN!" *inflicts pain on a minor*

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I admit it. I laughed at Nappa's believe it joke when I rewatched the fight recently. It was a laugh at Vegeta's reaction, but that doesn't make it okay.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Nappa is pretty great but a major part is that he doesn't overstay his welcome. I mean, they didn't got a lot from the source material so they needed to do something with him and what they did was pretty amazing.

But, willingly or not, he was nothing more than a catchphrase spouting moron and that they dropped the whole "Nappa as Vegeta's neurosis" angle was a good call I thing. Nail and God work a lot better as snarky voices in one's head.

e X fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 7, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I still say the you should at least start watching abridged to when Nappa and Vegeta arrive on earth. The final fight with vegeta still holds up IMO.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
You should probably just watch it from the start, sure the first few episodes are a slog but they do still have funny moments. The only bit I suggest that everyone skips is the Princess Snake scenes, they're painfully unfunny. There's no reason to watch those scenes unless you find the idea of a bad Solid Snake impression coming from a tertiary character amusing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I'm not the only one didn't like how TFS handled the Garlic Jr saga right?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I actually enjoyed the Garlic Jr saga, granted I was also a preteen when I watched it.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

It wouldn't really work well with how Kami and Popo are in Abridged

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

drrockso20 posted:

What didn't you like about it? Because, while the whole insurance fraud wasn't exactly thrilling, the actual plot of the saga is pretty much complete poo poo, so cutting most of it was a good call in my book.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 7, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The krillin plot wasn't that great, but skipping most of it was a good idea.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I would watch all of DBZA, otherwise you won't get the frequent references to earlier jokes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I remember the TFS guys complaining about garlic junior saga, saying how it made zero sense given all the poo poo the gang went through on Namek, and how their now somehow having trouble with a guy who was weaker than radditz.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Having trouble against a guy who cant be killed

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Namtab posted:

Sure, he's immortal, but that doesn't mean much. They can just keep beating him till he gets knocked unconscious then lock him up. The power gap is so massive it should be over in a Saitama.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Namtab posted:

Yet not once, but TWICE opened a portal to a inescapable realm for all eternity. One of them should had memorized that move and sent Super Buu there.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
gently caress Garlic Jr., TFS handled it perfectly.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rirse posted:

Yet not once, but TWICE opened a portal to a inescapable realm for all eternity. One of them should had memorized that move and sent Super Buu there.

Super Buu can break dimensions though

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Didn't Piccolo kick the poo poo out of Garlic Junior up until Kami started dying then it became an issue again?

Also in the actual saga Garlic Junior and his buddies were powered up by the Makyo Star, which wasn't around during his actual movie.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Didn't Piccolo kick the poo poo out of Garlic Junior up until Kami started dying then it became an issue again?

Also in the actual saga Garlic Junior and his buddies were powered up by the Makyo Star, which wasn't around during his actual movie.

Secretly, the Makyo Star is a macro-hyperbolic time chamber. With it, Garlic Jr. and his men were able to train for four months after their release thus allowing them to bridge the power gap with the Z-Fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

e X posted:

It's not exactly hard to figure this out anyway. It barely even matters because of how little they end up doing anyway. Does Tien knowing how to make extra arms or where Yamcha came from even have a purpose? They don't do poo poo.

Hearing that they actually had parts where they were new characters that had focus is a really weird thing to me. These guys were always in the background when I grew up, so seeing a mysterious new guy with an extra eye would fall completely flat with me, I think.

• Locked thread