Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

greatn posted:

Diggle should be a Mr. Terrific, because he's Terrific. Not the same Mr. Terrific as one of the other ones, a brand new one. Get him a T mask and a leather jacket that says "Fair Play" on the back.

If he isn't John Stewart Diggle, he should be John Holt Diggle. Michael's badder rear end cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
more heroes need to be MORE Diggle & Diggle needs to be made into LESS heroes...

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Black Driver rides again

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Thing is, demographically, Flash actually does respectable numbers for any network. If the CW goes under, I could see Warner trying to sell it to CBS. Especially if that Supergirl show goes to series and does well.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Valeyard posted:

Black Driver rides again

In all seriousness Freelancer (his Suicide Squad handle) would be a badass superhero name for Diggle.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think tales of Flash's demise miiiiight be just a skosh premature.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So this guy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BrianWilly posted:

So this guy.

Oh sweet I didn't know they made chocolate tic tacs...

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Gaz-L posted:

Thing is, demographically, Flash actually does respectable numbers for any network. If the CW goes under, I could see Warner trying to sell it to CBS. Especially if that Supergirl show goes to series and does well.

I think the worry is less "the CW goes under, no more Flash" and more "CW slashes budgets to stay afloat, Flash''s effects looks like poo poo, has smaller cast, ect."

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Worst case scenario Flash can share a warehouse with the Arrow guys.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Netflix paid a boatload of cash for Gotham streaming rights. And they're desperate for as much original content as possible. I don't think them picking up Arrow and The Flash is out of the realm of possibility if the CW tanks.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Netflix paid a boatload of cash for Gotham streaming rights. And they're desperate for as much original content as possible. I don't think them picking up Arrow and The Flash is out of the realm of possibility if the CW tanks.

They're producing MCU stuff. I can easily imagine a non-compete clause or something preventing this from happening.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If Netflix picked up everything geeks wanted them to pick up I don't think there'd be any shows left for regular TV.

And I'd be fine with that.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Netflix picking up DCTVU stuff would be pretty golden. None of this constant break bullshit.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Then again, you'd watch all ten episodes in a day or two and have to wait a year for more.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

hi liter posted:

They're producing MCU stuff. I can easily imagine a non-compete clause or something preventing this from happening.

This is my assumption as well. Licensing is one thing, but I really doubt Netfix will be producing any DC shows as long as it has a contract with Marvel. Maybe Amazon.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Detective No. 27 posted:

Netflix paid a boatload of cash for Gotham streaming rights.

That is really sad, surely there are shows that are actually good that they could have gotten.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Then again, you'd watch all ten episodes in a day or two and have to wait a year for more.

Oh, the way I watched the first Season of Arrow? :v:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

McDragon posted:

Oh, the way I watched the first Season of Arrow? :v:

I did the same thing. Spent about 3 weeks binging through Arrow and Flash to get all caught up. Now I have to wait week to week like a chump! :(

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

I dont know posted:

This is my assumption as well. Licensing is one thing, but I really doubt Netfix will be producing any DC shows as long as it has a contract with Marvel. Maybe Amazon.

Netflix already has Arrow on demand, and Netflix is about to start showing Netflix exclusive Marvel TV shows, so I doubt there is a no compete agreement in play. At the end of the day, the people handling the DC TV shows have to sell a show somebody wants to buy. The Flash and Arrow are hits by CW standards, but that is a pretty low standard.

Netflix at this point, is just basically another network, that might be willing to buy DC shows. DC trying to force a non-compete with Marvel at this point would probably get them laughed out of the room.

There's also the whole issue that DC and Marvel have historically had a friendly rivalry. DC writers and artists would get free Marvel comics, and vice versa. Since anybody working for the competition might be worth hiring at some point, it helps that they should know about the comic they're writing or drawing.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 8, 2015

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

thrakkorzog posted:

The Flash and Arrow are hits by CW standards, but that is a pretty low standard.

Sure, but so what? They're hits in that the viewership justifies the cost of production...what more do they need?

Arrow might be a bad investment if it cost Game of Thrones money and pulled CW numbers. But it doesn't, so that's fine. Obviously the CW isn't losing money every year, or we wouldn't be looking at a season 4.

(Also, I don't know how Netflix makes original content decisions. Marco Polo cost $90 Million...I don't have the viewership numbers, but anecdotally, I didn't know another soul who watched that show and it still got a second season. I feel like a way cheaper show about the Green Arrow or Flash would more than justify its existence. Not that this will be more than a hypothetical scenario.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I dont know posted:

If it were to happen most likely WB would still be producing it, Netflix or whoever would just be the broadcaster.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cartoon network has had both DC and Marvel programs at the same time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cartoon network has had both DC and Marvel programs at the same time.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Xealot posted:

(Also, I don't know how Netflix makes original content decisions. Marco Polo cost $90 Million...I don't have the viewership numbers, but anecdotally, I didn't know another soul who watched that show and it still got a second season. I feel like a way cheaper show about the Green Arrow or Flash would more than justify its existence. Not that this will be more than a hypothetical scenario.)

Marco Polo was designed from the get-go as Netflix's attempt to capture a huge international market. The american numbers it pulls are totally besides the point. As is, apparently, quality.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Marco Polo was designed from the get-go as Netflix's attempt to capture a huge international market. The american numbers it pulls are totally besides the point. As is, apparently, quality.

I think it's a high quality show, it just has issues with a bit of the writing and some of the characters (including the main character).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't really see a non-competitive clause these days. It's 2015. Nintendo's published games with Sonic The Hedgehog in them. It's a brave new world.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Netflix has plenty of shows they can't put on Aussie Netflix because of clauses like those.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is there a new episode tonight?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

enraged_camel posted:

I think it's a high quality show, it just has issues with a bit of the writing and some of the characters (including the main character).

I'm not sure how much bang for buck Netflix got out of it, when it seemed to be on the radar for the general public for about 10-14 days. HBO on the other hand gets to milk GoT for three months. Daredevil is going to have a similar problem. As good as it may be, it's going to be out of mind by next weekend (and for a genre that really benefits from audience reaction, and social media hype, its going to miss a lot of that). I don't get why Netflix don't move new shows to a weekly release schedule. Their Marvel properties alone would get them nearly year round coverage of new releases and word of mouth promotion.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

I'm not sure how much bang for buck Netflix got out of it, when it seemed to be on the radar for the general public for about 10-14 days. HBO on the other hand gets to milk GoT for three months. Daredevil is going to have a similar problem. As good as it may be, it's going to be out of mind by next weekend (and for a genre that really benefits from audience reaction, and social media hype, its going to miss a lot of that). I don't get why Netflix don't move new shows to a weekly release schedule. Their Marvel properties alone would get them nearly year round coverage of new releases and word of mouth promotion.

Not all their shows are done using the "blow your wad" method, Better Call Saul spaced it out a little and maybe Agent Carter

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Uh, House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. If it's a good show it will do fine.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gaz-L posted:

Is there a new episode tonight?

nope >:[

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Scyantific posted:

:tviv::flashfap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFk7uixvN9s

Looks like Roy isn't gonna make it though :( no more unnecessary parkour :smith:

Part of me wants to look at tumblr about this trailer, the rest wants to run away from that.

I dont know posted:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/24/cw-predictions-special-bubble-watch-conspiracy-edition/366548/

Its covered a bit at the end of this article. Tribune Media, one of the CW's biggest affiliates, has been publicly voicing discontent with CW numbers for a while. Their contract runs out in September 2016, at which point the CW will likely need to renegotiate more favorable terms for Tribune or find new affiliates. Either way would likely be a huge revenue hit for the network.

thrakkorzog posted:

Netflix already has Arrow on demand, and Netflix is about to start showing Netflix exclusive Marvel TV shows, so I doubt there is a no compete agreement in play. At the end of the day, the people handling the DC TV shows have to sell a show somebody wants to buy. The Flash and Arrow are hits by CW standards, but that is a pretty low standard.

Netflix at this point, is just basically another network, that might be willing to buy DC shows. DC trying to force a non-compete with Marvel at this point would probably get them laughed out of the room.

There's also the whole issue that DC and Marvel have historically had a friendly rivalry. DC writers and artists would get free Marvel comics, and vice versa. Since anybody working for the competition might be worth hiring at some point, it helps that they should know about the comic they're writing or drawing.

Given the utter collapse of network ratings in the past two years this really is conspiracy theory stuff. What Tribune Media wants really is Time Warner to buy it out

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

They got enough bang for their buck from Marco Polo to renew it for a second season. If they market it better and fix some of the writing, it has the potential to be a very very good show. Not as good as GoT perhaps (naturally) but enough to pave the way for more exclusives in the same genre.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, it got way better as they realized Marco was irrelevant and everyone else was way more interesting. He's the Piper Chapman of that story.

I'm not convinced Roy will die...he may just be maimed. Losing an arm, possibly?

He doesn't need to be dead to be written off; just about every dead character manages to come back, anyway, so he might as well go away and be in jail with Barry's dad or exploring the Alps or something.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Xealot posted:

Sure, but so what? They're hits in that the viewership justifies the cost of production...what more do they need?

Arrow might be a bad investment if it cost Game of Thrones money and pulled CW numbers. But it doesn't, so that's fine. Obviously the CW isn't losing money every year, or we wouldn't be looking at a season 4.

Networks have an opportunity cost - a show can be profitable in the "ad sale revenues are higher than what the studio charges per episode" sense but be a loser in the sense that showing something else would get you higher profits for that primetime slot. Like there's only room for 15-20 shows on a network's primetime Sept-May schedule, so even if the 20th ranked show is profitable, it's still likely to get yanked to make room for promising-sounding new shows.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xealot posted:

Yeah, it got way better as they realized Marco was irrelevant and everyone else was way more interesting. He's the Piper Chapman of that story.

I'm not convinced Roy will die...he may just be maimed. Losing an arm, possibly?

He doesn't need to be dead to be written off; just about every dead character manages to come back, anyway, so he might as well go away and be in jail with Barry's dad or exploring the Alps or something.

Have him go on adventures with an alien princess that was a former slave

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i mentioned it in the AoS thread.

Tahmoh Penikett as Sportsmaster season 4. Discuss...

and yes i don't care he was in 1 episodes prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

i mentioned it in the AoS thread.

Tahmoh Penikett as Sportsmaster season 4. Discuss...

and yes i don't care he was in 1 episodes prior.

No, he wasn't that great the last time he was on the show.

• Locked thread