Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eonwe posted:

if i like jojo (just finished it) and i like dbz

where do i go from here

assume very little anime watched otherwise

by 'just finished it' do you mean the anime up to where it is now or the entire manga up to where it is now

if the former, then i highly recommend reading the rest of the series because the anime sure as hell isn't going to catch up for forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Seconding the One Piece manga. Hunter x Hunter is also good, though in a somewhat more serious way.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

by 'just finished it' do you mean the anime up to where it is now or the entire manga up to where it is now

if the former, then i highly recommend reading the rest of the series because the anime sure as hell isn't going to catch up for forever

just watching

good call tho, Ill do this and one piece

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i guess that once you get into part 4 it'll spoil a couple little things from part 3, but honestly you have a lot of reading ahead of you when it comes to jojo's and a small thing or two really isn't much

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Eonwe posted:

just watching

good call tho, Ill do this and one piece

if you're OK with dope old anime check out Legend of Galactic Heroes. it's kind of slow to get going but it's real fuckin' good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Fungah! posted:

if you're OK with dope old anime check out Legend of Galactic Heroes. it's kind of slow to get going but it's real fuckin' good
:getin:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a fantastic show. Not sure how much someone who's main anime experience is DBZ and JoJo will take to it, but if you like politics and warfare and just a fantastic story, please check it out.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Moltrey posted:

:getin:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a fantastic show. Not sure how much someone who's main anime experience is DBZ and JoJo will take to it, but if you like politics and warfare and just a fantastic story, please check it out.

yeah, it's kind of a different style of good than dbz and jojo's, but it's pretty much the best if you can deal with slower-paced poo poo

oh yeah eonwe, check out one punch man, it's goofy as hell and the new version is crazy pretty

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Should ask what he liked about Jojo and DBZ first, really. One Piece is great if you're just after a sense of adventure with exotic locals and weird people, but I've never found the fighting very interesting or engaging. Hunter x Hunter would be a safer bet in that regard, since it's chalk for of dudes with crazy powers trying to get the better of each other.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is pretty dope though, it's true.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive heard good things about one punch man

I do like the fighting, but the sense of adventure stuff is probably the main thing tbh, which is why I like Dragonball more than DBZ

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Both One Piece and Hunter x Hunter should be right up your alley then.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Eonwe posted:

I do like the fighting, but the sense of adventure stuff is probably the main thing tbh, which is why I like Dragonball more than DBZ

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. There is no other correct answer.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm pretty sure One Punch Man is for everyone.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Eonwe posted:

oh yeah then you should read one piece like asap that's like 60-70% of the series (the rest is boobs and skeleton jokes)

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

if i like jojo (just finished it) and i like dbz

where do i go from here

assume very little anime watched otherwise

hoobajoo posted:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Fist of the North Star. There is no other correct answer.

FIFY

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh yeah read fist of the north star, it's pretty much the poo poo if you like seeing big brick shithouse people beating each other up

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lmao I have a lot of places to go after this I guess

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Read part 7 as part 3 anime finishes if you're worried about spoilers, because it's a spoiler free cowboy AU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

don't give a poo poo about spoilers and just read the rest of the series, IMO

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fungah! posted:

don't give a poo poo about spoilers and just read the rest of the series, IMO

yeah, basically. the Good poo poo you don't want spoiled is in arcs after 3, anyways

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Seconding HxH, its the only anime that comes close to the level of battlefuckery that is in JoJo.

Uznare posted:

He is, actually. The only other character who comes even close is Kakyoin and he requires fifteen times the execution that petshop's dumb poo poo does.

Oh I thought that Kakyoin was even more broken in the hands of somebody with perfect execution.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol at the idea of spoiling something by reading that thing, btw.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Eonwe posted:

toriko toriko toriko toriko toriko toriko its basically dbz but instead of adventure to find the dragon balls they're going to find ridiculous foods and all the faces are ridiculous and all the food's ridiculous and they've got inner food demon poo poo and animal intimidation is a thing so you get pages like this

and it's terrifying and great

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

People in the anime thread have been talking about a possible name change for a guy referencing a notoriously litigious artist, who are they talking about? Kenny G?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Spirit of Emptiness, I think.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Either vanilla ice or cream.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They mentioned the name pun and that Viz keeps it, so almost certainly Vanilla Ice (whose stand is Cream).

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Considering the fact that Rob van Winkle apologized for being Vanilla Ice and he let Viz use it, hopefully Crunchyroll will get to use it as well.

The only "notoriously litigious" artist I can think of is Prince, who doesn't get referenced til part 5.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Considering the fact that Rob van Winkle apologized for being Vanilla Ice and he let Viz use it, hopefully Crunchyroll will get to use it as well.

The only "notoriously litigious" artist I can think of is Prince, who doesn't get referenced til part 5.

He did just take a plea deal on that robbery charge, his lawyers may be a bit more sensitive right now. Or at least, interested in another paycheck.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I have a feeling that the guy who was singing the Ninja Rap in a TMNT mac and cheese commercial isn't going to be too strict about how he's referenced.

Also, I found out on Wikipedia that Vanilla Ice is a juggalo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You know, I just realized that with David pro's love of on-screen sound effects, pretty much any fight involving Echoes is going to be markedly more insane than the mange version and I will be even more disappointed if we don't get animated part 4.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

These on screen sound effects were just practice before the real show. :swoon:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I have a feeling that the guy who was singing the Ninja Rap in a TMNT mac and cheese commercial isn't going to be too strict about how he's referenced.

Also, I found out on Wikipedia that Vanilla Ice is a juggalo.

Yes, because the first question any copyright lawyer, and by extension any company, will ask is "Do you think he'd be cool with it?"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

hoobajoo posted:

Yes, because the first question any copyright lawyer, and by extension any company, will ask is "Do you think he'd be cool with it?"

Maybe they really aren't that concerned. After all, if there's a problem, yo, he'll solve it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

VIZ already got Vanilla Ice's permission to use his name in the official release, but Crunchyroll will probably throw up a different name because they don't have time to double-check whether he's still cool with it or not.

Same deal with J. Geil.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

You know, I just realized that with David pro's love of on-screen sound effects, pretty much any fight involving Echoes is going to be markedly more insane than the mange version and I will be even more disappointed if we don't get animated part 4.

Menacing!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I think we're very likely to see a Part 4 anime, the question is just will it have a Battle Tendency budget, or a Stardust Crusaders budget. It'll largely depend on how much Egypt-hen sells.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

What are the odds it gets a budget even greater than SC?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Something interesting about the Stands of main characters: both Josuke and Giorno descend from Ripple Users and have the ability to heal.

Jonathan was significantly more proficient in the Ripple, and Giorno's healing skill is also pretty ridiculous to the point of being able to regrow body parts.

Joseph was moderately skilled with the Ripple, but didn't fully keep up with his training to make it as effect as his grandfather's. Josuke's healing is also good, but he's unable to heal himself like Giorno.

And Jolyne's father never knew the Ripple, so her Stand's healing ability is literally just stitching the wound back together and letting it heal that way, which is a much more crude method than the previous two.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

What are the odds it gets a budget even greater than SC?

There's no chance of that happening, but VA could I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mr. stefan posted:

Also on that note there's one artist I really hope is cool with the reference, because there's a name gag later on in the part that is amazing and none of the previous alterations have lived up to it.

Who's that artist?

• Locked thread