Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Wheezle posted:

You could just get the phone you want and not worry about what other people think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Realpost: Found my 920! Locate my phone is nice but doesn't help if you live vertically such as a New York apartment - it was in the building but not in my apt so yeah.

In other news however my accelerometer doesn't seem to work (screen doesn't rotate), and the auto-brightness seems to be borked toggling itself off when I set it to on. Any ideas on this? Loose connections in to the sensors inside? Battery Sense overriding?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr Funkface posted:

Realpost: Found my 920! Locate my phone is nice but doesn't help if you live vertically such as a New York apartment - it was in the building but not in my apt so yeah.

In other news however my accelerometer doesn't seem to work (screen doesn't rotate), and the auto-brightness seems to be borked toggling itself off when I set it to on. Any ideas on this? Loose connections in to the sensors inside? Battery Sense overriding?

Rotation lock isn't on by accident is it?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Rotation lock isn't on by accident is it?

Nope. Very much off.

EDIT: so apparently it's a thing which doesn't seem to have been resolved for years:
:
http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/1xd0q6/my_screen_wont_rotate_on_my_lumia_920_anymore/

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...inphoneosissues

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 6, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

loquacius posted:

See, I'd say something about how the WP first-party apps never give you any problems like that except the WP8 Music app is just barely past "usable" at this point having struggled there from "pile of poo poo"

So better then Itunes which went from "semi-usable' to "massive giant, solar-system size pile of poo poo"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sbaldrick posted:

So better then Itunes which went from "semi-usable' to "massive giant, solar-system size pile of poo poo"

The #1 argument against getting an iPhone when/if I switch away from WP is that I'd have to use iTunes *shudder*

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

loquacius posted:

The #1 argument against getting an iPhone when/if I switch away from WP is that I'd have to use iTunes *shudder*

This is the reason, since I owned an iPod Shuffle (wich looked drat good back in the days with 256mb) to avoid any apple product ever, phones or mp3 players. gently caress iTunes really hard.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Some other media players, like Media Monkey, do work with iPhones, although you may have to lag behind and update or two to make sure. Apple's complete indifference to making if work right with Windows is hilarious though; got iTunes pinned to the taskbar? Of course it adds a whole new icon there when you open it! Why wouldn't it?

Running CCleaner? Hit that Clean Registry button? Goodbye iTunes, we hardly knew ye! Got an issue with iTunes, need to reinstall? That's a half dozen pieces of software and the surgical removal of several registry keys you'll need to do! Have fun with your not-a-Mac, rear end in a top hat!

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Does anyone have an idea of when the Lumia 640 will be released in the US? All I can find is international stuff and my 8x is dying rapidly.

I'm on T-Mobile, if that matters. I really just want a new flagship but I think I'm going to have to have to wait for a Windows 10 launch.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

benitocereno posted:

Does anyone have an idea of when the Lumia 640 will be released in the US? All I can find is international stuff and my 8x is dying rapidly.

I'm on T-Mobile, if that matters. I really just want a new flagship but I think I'm going to have to have to wait for a Windows 10 launch.

I don't think anyone knows for sure but probably in a month or so. On a related note, T-Mobile just updated their website for the 640 to indicate that it will support Band 12 LTE.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
That is pretty awesome. Maybe now I'll get reception inside my building!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are there any mobile related conferences after BUILD? It's really about time to announce a new top end device. Or are they really going to drag it out until Windows 10 RTMs (likely even later for the mobile version)?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I should have a shiny orange 640 in my hands on Friday, assuming no delays; my 4S has hit that magical stage that all clapped out computers do where everything seems to be falling apart more and more each day. :(

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are there any mobile related conferences after BUILD? It's really about time to announce a new top end device. Or are they really going to drag it out until Windows 10 RTMs (likely even later for the mobile version)?

I can't imagine they'd do anything but wait for RTM. And I doubt mobile would come much later, the announcement would have greater impact if they have a spanking new Lumia right on stage to show off at the same time.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe Ignite? That seems like it would be a dumb venue, but who knows.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Is there a consensus best twitter app (paid or free)?

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Is there a Windows Phone with a comparable size to an Iphone 4 or just about? Hopefully with decent specs and all that.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

-Anders posted:

Is there a Windows Phone with a comparable size to an Iphone 4 or just about? Hopefully with decent specs and all that.

No, not that I'm aware of. The "smaller" windows phones tend to be 4" screen size, but also low end with larger bezels.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/585880417951055873

quote:

@GabeAul - In case anyone missed the announcement on Windows Weekly: We're targeting Friday @ 10:00AM PST for next phone build.

This is the build with support for way more phones: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/27/a-quick-update-on-windows-10-builds-for-phones-for-windows-insiders/

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

cougar cub posted:

Generally speaking Aeries and Tweetium are considered the best. I use aeries myself.

Aeries: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/aeries/4af58dea-f287-4ef0-bd04-bc25413be8ac

Tweetium: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/tweetium/8f328427-666d-4b6d-8a58-042ff6a17e41

Super recent review of windows phones twitter clients: http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/20246_Peregrine_MeTweets.php

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks!

Hilarious that the website you linked has a chart which cant be fully displayed on my 1020!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Some other media players, like Media Monkey, do work with iPhones, although you may have to lag behind and update or two to make sure. Apple's complete indifference to making if work right with Windows is hilarious though; got iTunes pinned to the taskbar? Of course it adds a whole new icon there when you open it! Why wouldn't it?

Running CCleaner? Hit that Clean Registry button? Goodbye iTunes, we hardly knew ye! Got an issue with iTunes, need to reinstall? That's a half dozen pieces of software and the surgical removal of several registry keys you'll need to do! Have fun with your not-a-Mac, rear end in a top hat!

I'm pretty sure iTunes sucks as Mac's too.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cougar cub posted:

I use Tweetium, which the mass consensus will point you to, and MeTweets as my alternative, which I think is currently free.

I'd also recommend a pro subscription in Tweetium, which is but $7 or so for 12 months, adding push notifications and all sorts of stuff. Even without, go with Tweetium.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 10, 2015

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Anyone going to install the tech preview when it goes live in 5? I might as well. It certainly couldn't hurt the performance of my 1020.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

wookieepelt posted:

Anyone going to install the tech preview when it goes live in 5? I might as well. It certainly couldn't hurt the performance of my 1020.

It's going on my $29 tinker Lumia 635, sure.

I'm mostly watching the reaction of those who install it on their only phone. There will be tears and anger.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

hotsauce posted:

My Lumia 925 is going to sufferrun it :hfive:

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

hotsauce posted:

I'm mostly watching the reaction of those who install it on their only phone. There will be tears and anger.

That's what I'm doing! I'm going to run this phone into the ground!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wookieepelt posted:

Certainly. I expect it'll be a mistake, but I really want a peek at the future of the platform to inform my next device choice. Hoping for not too terrible things.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

hotsauce posted:

As soon as I get a 640, it'll go on my 920.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The list of broken things was just posted on windowcentral.

As expected, the comments are suddenly pitchfork anger in nature. Lol.

By the way, you can update no problem as many people have bailed on the OTA process.

It's still a broken update. Well no poo poo guys. Cool with me.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Some pretty serious things in that list yeah, but I rather prefer them to publish the previews anyway, if there was nothing on the horizon I would just switch off the platform today.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just finished installing on my 635. My goodness, do not update if you are putting it on a daily driver, that is all.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The bigger the pool of beta testers the more bugs that will get found out for the live release. This is a very good thing.

Now the problem is people thinking that beta software won't be full of bugs. If it wasn't then it would be released by now.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Just finished installing on my 635. My goodness, do not update if you are putting it on a daily driver, that is all.

What are you already running into? I saw the list at WPCentral and it sounds like some annoying little things but not much I'd encounter in my daily use.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No Cortana via bluetooth is the only deal-killer for me, too bad.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

The inability to open Office documents would be pretty major for a lot of people, too. I mostly use my 1520 for basic calls, texting, and web browsing, though, so nothing on the list strikes me as being too broken in that regard.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Has the mail app or OneNote been updated yet?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

ManSedan posted:

Has the mail app or OneNote been updated yet?

Windows Blog Announcement posted:

New mail and calendar apps: Outlook Mail and Outlook Calendar are the new built-in mail and calendar universal apps for Windows 10. These new apps bring a fresh UI, with a toggle to freely move between your email and calendar without returning to the Start screen. Outlook Mail includes customizable Swipe Gestures, letting you swipe right or left to take actions like delete, flag, move or mark as read/unread. Also check out the new email authoring experience. Outlook Mail leverages the familiar capabilities of Word to create a richer email experience. You can do formatting tricks like inserting tables, adding pictures and using bullets and text. Outlook Mail and Outlook Calendar connects to Office 365, Exchange, Outlook.com, Gmail, Google Calendar, Yahoo!, IMAP, POP and other popular accounts.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/04/10/new-windows-10-technical-preview-build-now-available-for-phones/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Update went fine, things appear to mostly work. I am unfortunately still really sad to launch and see the new email and photo apps, which gratuitously throw away the UI style I really liked. Will see if I come around, but seeing and using it myself has so far not convinced me at all :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Update went fine, things appear to mostly work. I am unfortunately still really sad to launch and see the new email and photo apps, which gratuitously throw away the UI style I really liked. Will see if I come around, but seeing and using it myself has so far not convinced me at all :(
All of the screenshots I've seen of the new mail app have a bright white background. Is there no way to have a dark one? :ohdear: