Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I found a third baby guppy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Krataar posted:

Turns out all my shrimp were alive in my filter. They have gotten larger. Put a metal mesh over it. Had one round with ich, and only lost an oto. So my tank is doing better then I thought. Melted a few cabombas. Trimmed them and replanted. My dwarf hair grass is starting to spread out though even in my tanks crappy light. My anubias is putting up new shoots, and I got two java ferns. My next object to tackle is to deal with the growing number of snails that seemed to have arrived with my java ferns.

Starting to like this hobby, now I want to go from a 6g to a 20g.

How long has it taken your hairgrass to spread? Planted mine a month ago and it's still sitting there in patches, despite the high light and excel I dump in there, and dunno what I'm not doing right. I want a carpet before I toss in fish darnit.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

It hasn't carpeted yet, but it is moving beyond its original bunches. I was dosing with excel till i figured that might be melting the other plants. I've had the tank about two months now. It's still very much in its infancy. Overall I'd say the grass has doubled in size. I'll probably post pictures later.

Shorter answer: Slowly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Carpets are difficult unless you're making moss carpets. Never seen successful ones without insane maintenance, i.e. co2, very high lighting, fertilizer regimens.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced CO2 setup? My 20 gallon has a tiny hairline crack developing so I've decided I ordered a new 29 gallon acrylic to replace it and I'm ordering new substrate (doing a mix of eco-complete and fluorite sand) and I plan to upgrade my lighting to a two light T5-HO fixture and while I'm at it, I figure I'll finally add CO2 so I can have more plant options. Looking around it seems like a lot of the entry level pressurized CO2 people seem to not care for, but the better stuff like Green Leaf Aquariums skyrockets in price. Are there any lesser known but well respected options?

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Heres my little tank as of today.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I found Glubbles, my goldfish laying on the bottom of the tank when I got home from work. He probably won't make it through the night :( He seemed to be a bit lethargic the past few days but otherwise OK. His belly is all distended and it looks kind of bruised. I've never seen a fish look like this.

I have him in a 10 gallon tank with one other goldfish. I give them one decent sized pinch of food once a day so I don't think I've been over feeding them. The other fish seems fine. I've had them for going on a year and they've been very energetic and healthy looking until now. I don't think there's any saving him now but I'd like to know what's wrong with him so I can spot this and hopefully help them in the future. Here's a couple of sad pics of my dying fish so somebody could maybe diagnose his trouble. I'm really bummed about it. He was a pretty cool little fish.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Has he been pooping at all the past few days?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I honestly couldn't say but I'd hate to think he's dying of fishy constipation.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's hard to say, but the pics dont suggest dropsy, so other common issues could be internal parasites, or constipation. If it is constipation, it's not as bad as it seems:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/problemsolving/p/swim_bladder_disorder.htm

Hope that helps.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
The pictures dont show it well but his belly looks bruised and the scales look split down the middle of his fish rear end. There also appears to be white lumps in his belly. I'm not sure how it could be parasites. Nothing new has been introduced into the tank, and the other fish appears fine. If it is constipation I dont know how I would solve that. The poor little guy is just laying there.

Its seriously a bummer. I really like that fish :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you can set up a hospital tank so you can monitor his food and his poop and for treatment that would be ideal. The linked page has pretty standard sorts of routines for treating constipation but you're right, that looks pretty drat serious. Best of luck to you.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I'm having a hard time keeping nitrate in my tank currently 0ppm, last water change was a week ago, should I dose more flourish complete? My hygro compacta is turning a pale green on the new leaves and the old leaves look ragged. I'm using flourish root tabs and excel as well. substrate is eco-complete, light is stock fluval spec v with about an hour of sun from the window.

edit: according to this calc I have been way under dosing.

http://calc.petalphile.com/

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 1, 2015

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

rockcity posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced CO2 setup? My 20 gallon has a tiny hairline crack developing so I've decided I ordered a new 29 gallon acrylic to replace it and I'm ordering new substrate (doing a mix of eco-complete and fluorite sand) and I plan to upgrade my lighting to a two light T5-HO fixture and while I'm at it, I figure I'll finally add CO2 so I can have more plant options. Looking around it seems like a lot of the entry level pressurized CO2 people seem to not care for, but the better stuff like Green Leaf Aquariums skyrockets in price. Are there any lesser known but well respected options?

I'm not sure what "reasonably priced" is to you, but I have this from Red Sea ( although when I bought it it was on a cheaper sale for $150 ): http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-Fish-...rds=red+sea+co2

Of course you have to buy your own tank & valve too which was another $50, then $15 to fill it. However at the rate I've got it going, ~12 bubbles per minute on the same timer as the lights so it's only on 8 hours a day, it has lasted 6+ months on one fill so far. Depending on the plants and load in your tank though you'll probably want to bump that up. I'm just stingy with it because I found when I had it at ~2 bubbles per second ( which I had seen recommended on other forums ) the fish were gasping/suffocating.

I'm not sure how much it has helped truly - except that before I HAD to dose with Excel liquid otherwise the plants would all die off ( even the java ferns ). Whereas now the tank is flourishing and I don't ever have to think about it. So basically how lazy are you is what it boils down to - I am very lazy so it was worth the $$'s.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 1, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just went looking for the ghost shrimp I bought last week. What uh...what are water parameters for them? I found three of the eight dead and couldn't find one ): I feel like I'm the worst fish tank owner.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Len posted:

Just went looking for the ghost shrimp I bought last week. What uh...what are water parameters for them? I found three of the eight dead and couldn't find one ): I feel like I'm the worst fish tank owner.

They are feeder animals, not the best raised or cared for shrimp in the trade. They are hardy tho, they can do fine in just about any water hardness, pH, or temp given that they are properly acclimated. They often die for reasons beyond your control in the upstream supply handling.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Len posted:

Yeah, I threw four into my tank a week or two ago, just to see how my betta would react to shrimp. One died before the night was up, but the other three have been happily running around the tank since then without any trouble.

Ghost shrimp are born to die in the pet industry, there is no shame in losing some of them when you try to keep them longterm. From whoever bred them all the way down to the petstore you picked them up at, they were probably given the absolute minimum care possible to generate the most profit. The best you can do is try and give the ones you saved a decent life. The ones who died were dead already.

Also be aware that there are several types of shrimp sold as ghost shrimp. Some are predatory motherfuckers. There might be a possibility you have one of those in there.

edit

Found a thread on another forum that discusses ghost shrimp vs "macro".
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/423228-urgent-advice-needed-is-this-a-ghost-shrimp-or-killer-macro/

Looks like there is a possibility that the shrimp I bought are macros. They've got long arms.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 1, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alright I don't feel quite as bad then. I'll try and get some more next pay then. I'm going to start looking into new lighting soon too. My lights don't give a nice clear light it's got an orangish hue to it.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
All of the blue ram fry have hatched, and 24 hours later their embryo sacs are significantly smaller and they're all attempting to nibble on the detritus laying around the breeder container. I put a bit of first bites powder food in there just in case, but man, they're so cool. They're like not even real animals yet, just little wormy things wiggling around ineffectually. Crazy cool.

Pic from yesterday that can't get good focus on teeny things:

That's about half of them. The other half had already wiggled off the leaf.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

TollTheHounds posted:

I'm not sure what "reasonably priced" is to you, but I have this from Red Sea ( although when I bought it it was on a cheaper sale for $150 ): http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-Fish-...rds=red+sea+co2

Of course you have to buy your own tank & valve too which was another $50, then $15 to fill it. However at the rate I've got it going, ~12 bubbles per minute on the same timer as the lights so it's only on 8 hours a day, it has lasted 6+ months on one fill so far. Depending on the plants and load in your tank though you'll probably want to bump that up. I'm just stingy with it because I found when I had it at ~2 bubbles per second ( which I had seen recommended on other forums ) the fish were gasping/suffocating.

I'm not sure how much it has helped truly - except that before I HAD to dose with Excel liquid otherwise the plants would all die off ( even the java ferns ). Whereas now the tank is flourishing and I don't ever have to think about it. So basically how lazy are you is what it boils down to - I am very lazy so it was worth the $$'s.

That's about what I'm looking to spend more or less and for many of the same reasons you did. Well, not so much laziness, but that I'm gone a couple days a week and having a constant CO2 source would be really nice. My tank is pretty much all java ferns right now as well because I don't have enough light for much else and I'm really forgetful to keep up on the Excel.

Is that model for a paintball type tank or larger one? I'm thinking I want to get one that will run off of a 5lb tank because I could use that for some beer stuff as well need be.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

rockcity posted:

That's about what I'm looking to spend more or less and for many of the same reasons you did. Well, not so much laziness, but that I'm gone a couple days a week and having a constant CO2 source would be really nice. My tank is pretty much all java ferns right now as well because I don't have enough light for much else and I'm really forgetful to keep up on the Excel.

Is that model for a paintball type tank or larger one? I'm thinking I want to get one that will run off of a 5lb tank because I could use that for some beer stuff as well need be.

I bought this 5lb tank: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085282UK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As long as it has a CGA 320 thread on the valve it'll fit, 5lbs is pretty big ( this tank is 18" high inc. valve ) so I'd think it would be fine for a kegerator or something too.

You'll also want to get a timer for the solenoid if you don't have one already for your lights, so that you're only injecting CO2 when the lights are on ( though I've read sometimes it's good to start injecting ~1 hour before lights go on to build it up ), otherwise you could suffocate your fish in the night since the plants will be dumping CO2 at the same time and your pH will also lower more dramatically.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 2, 2015

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Runaway snail infestations are finally starting to pay off! Several years ago I added 5-6 assassin snails to help keep the mts in my 90g african tank under control. Now I've got a thriving assassin population, and my LFS is buying all I can throw at him for a buck a pop. Pretty cool being able to trade a handful of snails for coral fragments. What a strange hobby.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
How is babby mossball formed? I've noticed small green balls that look like my Marimbo , only much smaller popping up all over my tank. Is it just some different type of algae or propagating mossballs?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
I'll leave this here

http://www.imgur.com/gallery/SVNvuz0

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

You should flush it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Glubbles did indeed die. But his death was not in vain. I've learned that even stupid goldfish need more than just flakes. Bloodworms and brine shrimp in between flake meals will make for a happy, not bloated and dead goldfish.

Not one to lay around mourning I went and got a new fish buddy.

I haven't named him yet but I'm leaning towards Zorak.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Sigh. I have no idea what went wrong, but over the course of the last four days of these blue ram fry post-hatching, they've all died out. The guides I read said they'd be free-swimming at around day 4 or 5, and some of them seemed to be trying to, but most of them were just stuck wiggling on the bottom of the breeder box. I assumed the rippling from the air was enough oxygen for them, I did a from-tank water change once a day and the tank water's chemistry is pretty much perfect(0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10-20ish ppm nitrate), so I have no idea what could have caused this. They all seemed to be doing so well until last night, when I noticed that half of them had suddenly died when they were pretty lively yesterday morning.

I did my best to follow the guidelines I'd read about for raising ram fry, and yet this still happens. I have no idea what went wrong. Does sudden fry death just happen sometimes?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Nitrates even that low could be high for fry. But yes, sometimes they die for no reason we can see.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Hola, Goons. So in May I plan on stocking my 10gal planted tank, it has the Marineland Penguin 100 filter on it. I just have no idea what to stock it with. I wanted to do neon tetras, but found they actually don't thrive in anything less than a 20gal long, so I was looking for other fish ideas. Outside of petsmart/co, there are only 2 LFSs around here, and a third being about an hour 1/2 away. What are some of your favorites for 10 gallon setups? If I really only have the choice of a betta, I am fine with that as well, I just want super happy and healthy fish, I don't care ~how cool it looks~ for other people.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've been reading a lot lately about suitable fish for smaller tanks and I've got a few that I'd like to try: sparkling gourami, licorice gourami, small or dwarf corydoras (panda/three line or habrosus/hastatus/pygmaeus), spotted blue-eye (pseudomugil gertrudae), and guppies, to name the ones I can think of. I haven't had experience with any of these so I couldn't tell you if they are easy to keep. You could probably fit a dwarf orange crayfish in 10 gallons too although I found out I can't get those here (and you probably shouldn't mix a cray with fish). And of course you could always try keeping shrimp! Shrimp are awesome and I'm looking at getting some red nose shrimp and chameleon shrimp since my red cherries are doing so well.

I'm just starting up a Fluval Spec V and finding it's really smaller than is ideal for most fish so I am putting off even thinking about stocking it until I'm sure I can do it safely, it might end up being a third shrimp tank if I can't find a suitable fish that is actually available here. You've got a bit more wriggle room with a 10 gallon especially if it's already planted, many fish are a lot happier with cover and the plants contribute to the nitrogen cycle and I think help to make smaller tanks more stable. My LFSs here are very limited (and also diseased) and I ended up getting 5 fish through the mail successfully, I would definitely recommend buying fish/shrimp online and having them mailed to you if you can't get anything suitable locally. The place I bought from has a 100% live delivery guarantee and you will most likely find similar for other online fish sellers (depending on where you are).

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Stoca Zola posted:

I've been reading a lot lately about suitable fish for smaller tanks and I've got a few that I'd like to try: sparkling gourami, licorice gourami, small or dwarf corydoras (panda/three line or habrosus/hastatus/pygmaeus), spotted blue-eye (pseudomugil gertrudae), and guppies, to name the ones I can think of. I haven't had experience with any of these so I couldn't tell you if they are easy to keep. You could probably fit a dwarf orange crayfish in 10 gallons too although I found out I can't get those here (and you probably shouldn't mix a cray with fish). And of course you could always try keeping shrimp! Shrimp are awesome and I'm looking at getting some red nose shrimp and chameleon shrimp since my red cherries are doing so well.

I'm just starting up a Fluval Spec V and finding it's really smaller than is ideal for most fish so I am putting off even thinking about stocking it until I'm sure I can do it safely, it might end up being a third shrimp tank if I can't find a suitable fish that is actually available here. You've got a bit more wriggle room with a 10 gallon especially if it's already planted, many fish are a lot happier with cover and the plants contribute to the nitrogen cycle and I think help to make smaller tanks more stable. My LFSs here are very limited (and also diseased) and I ended up getting 5 fish through the mail successfully, I would definitely recommend buying fish/shrimp online and having them mailed to you if you can't get anything suitable locally. The place I bought from has a 100% live delivery guarantee and you will most likely find similar for other online fish sellers (depending on where you are).

Thanks! What website did you order from? I can only find three that look decent, but none have the fish you suggested, minus panda corydoras, which I have read are really bad for smaller tanks because they are so active. (I'm getting some when I get my 60gal, though). I have, however decided I want to go with 5 harlequin rasboras, and 5 cherry barbs in the meantime, with some amano shrimp and a few nerite snails. I look forward to my mini tank community, ahhh.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'm in South Australia and I ordered from Coburg aquarium's site. My other options were livefish.com.au and aquagreen.com.au since most other sites seem to be based in Queensland or NSW and either won't send this far or require airmail and for the buyer to pick up the shipment from a major airport. I'm assuming if you're in the US or EU you'll have better shipping and more options. Or if you're in Australia secondnatureaquariums.com.au and majestic aquariums looked like ok sites. If you're in Western Australia or Tasmania you're poo poo out of luck due to quarantine.

I hope cherry barbs are like rosy barbs personality-wise as then they will be really active and a lot of fun once they settle in. Mine follow me around the tank, nibble my arm while I'm cleaning, etc. Really friendly, whereas my head and tail light tetras still react by going front on so they're harder to spot or hang to the back of the tank eying me suspiciously. They do come racing over once they realise it's feeding time and to be fair it is nice to have fish with contrasting personalities.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 7, 2015

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

Thanks! What website did you order from? I can only find three that look decent, but none have the fish you suggested, minus panda corydoras, which I have read are really bad for smaller tanks because they are so active. (I'm getting some when I get my 60gal, though). I have, however decided I want to go with 5 harlequin rasboras, and 5 cherry barbs in the meantime, with some amano shrimp and a few nerite snails. I look forward to my mini tank community, ahhh.

Check out Aquatic Arts (when their website is working again... Seems to be down at the moment)

I've ordered some inverts from them (RCS, yellow dwarf shrimp, Thai micro crabs, assassin snails) and have had a very positive experience with them, especially when my first batch of crabs got held up due to weather and didn't make the trip.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
It's not even summer and my tank's water is getting up to 20°C. I need to keep it below 18 and stop frequent, extreme changes. Any tips?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Bollock Monkey posted:

It's not even summer and my tank's water is getting up to 20°C. I need to keep it below 18 and stop frequent, extreme changes. Any tips?

Get a chiller and a temp controller for your heater, program both to stay within 2°C of your target without overlapping. Or get a fan and and a two way temp controller, turn the fan on when its too hot and the heater on when its too cold.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Hooray! One of my saddled cherry shrimp moulted overnight and is now carrying a nice big batch of yellow eggs. There is another big shrimp who saddled up at around the same time so I'm hoping she will moult soon too. I'd moved these into a second tank with a few of the reddest males, it took quite a while before any of the remaining shrimp in the first tank saddled up and I was worried it was a bit of a sausage fest in there, I can see three or four saddles now and the rest are apparently male. Not sure whether the sponges I have over the filter intake will be sufficient protection for shrimplets but I won't be able to find out for a while yet. I've done a test run using powdered fry food, watching how the particles move in the water and it doesn't seem like there is too strong a flow.

I hope that adding some native caridina shrimp in the less populated tank won't upset the berried cherry too much. Anyone had problems mixing shrimp types? The ones I'm getting are similar in size or smaller than cherries and apparently not too fussy about water as long as it's clean so I think they might make a nice community.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only problems with mixing are that shrimps of the same species will interbreed. Cherry shrimp are neocaridina and safe to stick with caridina shrimp without producing brown mutt shrimp.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I decided to upgrade the light on my fluval spec V to the finnex stingray:
http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Stingray-Aquarium-Light-16-Inch/dp/B00NAFQ97A

I want low light but more than what I currently have. Anyone have this light and how do they like it?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

r0ck0 posted:

I decided to upgrade the light on my fluval spec V to the finnex stingray:
http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Stingray-Aquarium-Light-16-Inch/dp/B00NAFQ97A

I want low light but more than what I currently have. Anyone have this light and how do they like it?

I have a Finnex FugeRay ( no idea what the difference is ) and love it - gently caress CFL's and their lovely life spans. The tank is heavily planted - now that it's been installed anyway - and the fish look great. A+ would buy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

TollTheHounds posted:

I have a Finnex FugeRay ( no idea what the difference is ) and love it - gently caress CFL's and their lovely life spans. The tank is heavily planted - now that it's been installed anyway - and the fish look great. A+ would buy again.

The fuge ray has like 2 or 3 times the number of LEDs so its a huge amount brighter than the stingray. I want the low light but I want to make sure it will be enough. Only plants that I am kinda worried about are the downoi, s. repens and b. japonica. If its enough for those I will be ok, It should be since they are staying alive with the stock light anything really should be an improvement.