Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dumb question about the agape ring. If it eats your souls, and you basically need to have it on all the time to avoid eventually being nickel and dimed into another tier, how do you afford things like repairing broken items or stuff from merchants, etc? Just take it off and work up the small amount and basically don't worry about it because a dozen or so ring repairs won't matter in the long run?

Or does it only effect soul memory and you still get cash money souls with it on?

EDIT: vvv that... isn't really the same. You may as well say the altar that restores humanity when you have no effigies at all is exactly the same as a having a ready source of solo obtainable effigies before you can hop into memories. Thanks for clearing it up though.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Repairing broken equipment is free. The tree in the first DLC fixes anything if you whip it. You're out of luck if you want to use arrows or other stuff that costs souls though.
Edit: You can farm effigies for free with ascetics I think. They removed the easy spot to farm them in the new version though so not sure if theres another good spot to do it.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 7, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The tree was brought up earlier and someone said there's a bonfire like 10 seconds away. It doesn't really seem like it would take any more time than teleporting to the bonfire in Majula for repairs...

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The tree was brought up earlier and someone said there's a bonfire like 10 seconds away. It doesn't really seem like it would take any more time than teleporting to the bonfire in Majula for repairs...

Yeah, going to the tree is not worth it unless you really worry about your soul memory too much, use the Agape ring to lock it at some specific value and then refuse to use your souls for anything that doesn't directly make you stronger. Also re-roll as soon as you lose any of those souls.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

Wellager's NG++ poo poo is specifically NOT something you can obtain with Ascetics, neither in vanilla nor SotFS

Same is also true for Targray's and Titchy Gren's NG+ poo poo (read: infinite cracked orbs for sale). While some other merchants get some more stuff, I think you can accomplish that with ascetics, and these three are the only ones who genuinely require proceeding to NG+/NG++. There may be others that I don't know about, though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You can always cheat engine your soul memory down. I like to get 50 copies of a DLC/endgame weapon and give them away at low SM levels. A couple people have thanked me for that, because it was just the weapon they were looking for :)

The latest CE tables for SOTFS is kinda crappier for item switching, but it makes SM altering way easier.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

okay, so there is a statue in front of the second bonfire in the black gulch. Is it worth burning a fragrant branch on this guy? I just beat the Rotten so I'm not sure I need the bonfire apart from making the DLC area easier to get to. What does the petrified guy do/drop?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just noticed that there's a bunch of platforms (and one of those poison moths from Huntsman's Copse) above the Servants' Quarters bonfire in the Bastille. Is there any way to get up there?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Q-sixtysix posted:

okay, so there is a statue in front of the second bonfire in the black gulch. Is it worth burning a fragrant branch on this guy? I just beat the Rotten so I'm not sure I need the bonfire apart from making the DLC area easier to get to. What does the petrified guy do/drop?

Not sure about what he has, but I can't see any compelling reason to use one of your branches just to open the shortcut. Black Gulch is one of my favorite areas in the game just because you can completely skip it in about 30 seconds if you don't want to deal with any of its contents. Someone said the change in enemy placement made doing so more difficult, but during my playthrough I started at the first bonfire and sprinted straight past everything like normal without any issues.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Oh great. New Game+ replaces some normal chests with mimics pretty early on. I hope there's some great stuff in NG+. But I'm not getting my hopes up.
After all, SotFS is what NG+ should have been from the start.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Azran posted:

You can always cheat engine your soul memory down. I like to get 50 copies of a DLC/endgame weapon and give them away at low SM levels. A couple people have thanked me for that, because it was just the weapon they were looking for :)

The latest CE tables for SOTFS is kinda crappier for item switching, but it makes SM altering way easier.
That is the kind of stuff that gets you softbanned though. I mean, provided that softbans are still a thing.

I am using this modification to fix the durability issues, but that is the only 'cheating' I am doing. I can confirm that it works, durability actually decays at a reasonable rate now, instead of ten fights resulting in a broken weapon.
https://github.com/eur0pa/DS2Fix64

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

dis astranagant posted:

I just noticed that there's a bunch of platforms (and one of those poison moths from Huntsman's Copse) above the Servants' Quarters bonfire in the Bastille. Is there any way to get up there?

I don't know if you can get up there, but I do know you can shoot the moth down.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Its still annoying that they didn't scrap soul memory, fix the hitboxes, or fix the weapon degradation bug.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Average Bear posted:

fix the weapon degradation bug.

That's a feature now. :eng99:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Azran posted:

Non-monotonic soul memory (i.e. your soul memory going down) for a particular playthrough ID is something that the server checks for and it will, after a delay, get you banned.

This includes backing up and restoring a save file from an earlier point in your playthrough.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

That's a feature now. :eng99:

I feel the need to confirm that yes: They actually decided it's a feature. That's what they are going with. The PS3 and 360 versions have this annoying bug where durability decreases at a reasonable rate, though.

The durability bug/feature is not as bad as people make it out to be. It's still pretty stupid they knowingly left it in.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I don't really mind the way durability works now? v:shobon:v It helps a lot that I'm planning my run to use as many weapons as possible, so I always have a backup available. I could see it being a bigger problem in NG+ boss fights where they just have so much HP that some weapons just cannot last the entire health bar, but other than that it seems a minor annoyance at worst. It's not like dying matters anyway.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Mr Dog posted:

Non-monotonic soul memory (i.e. your soul memory going down) for a particular playthrough ID is something that the server checks for and it will, after a delay, get you banned.

This includes backing up and restoring a save file from an earlier point in your playthrough.

Yep, if you're backing up your save file for whatever reason, you'll want to do the whole thing offline or else you're risking a softban.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

That is the kind of stuff that gets you softbanned though. I mean, provided that softbans are still a thing.

I am using this modification to fix the durability issues, but that is the only 'cheating' I am doing. I can confirm that it works, durability actually decays at a reasonable rate now, instead of ten fights resulting in a broken weapon.
https://github.com/eur0pa/DS2Fix64

Mr Dog posted:

Huh, I tend to do all this offline since like a week or so after the PC release of the Dx9 version and I've never gotten softbanned.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Oh great. New Game+ replaces some normal chests with mimics pretty early on. I hope there's some great stuff in NG+. But I'm not getting my hopes up.
After all, SotFS is what NG+ should have been from the start.

Oh! Mind spoiling some of them for me? I don't think I'll go NG+ just yet.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Q-sixtysix posted:

He's just a normal Hollow without any special loot. Only reason to unfreeze him if you've already beaten The Rotten is if you plan on killing Darklurker.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Azran posted:

Oh! Mind spoiling some of them for me? I don't think I'll go NG+ just yet.

The only one I found so far is right after you leave Majula towards the Forest of Fallen Giants. The one that has the rusty coin in it. The loot is still the same but it's a mimic in NG+.
I assume that the game adds more mimics later on. Or even makes some mimic chest not mimics.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I really wanna use that durability fix but I'm terrified of being banned because the highly active multiplayer is what's keeping me interested in the game right now. Can anyone confirm/deny that it's safe to use?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

:stare: That's one hell of a change.

DarthJeebus posted:

I really wanna use that durability fix but I'm terrified of being banned because the highly active multiplayer is what's keeping me interested in the game right now. Can anyone confirm/deny that it's safe to use?

If you're going to do PVP then durability isn't an issue at all.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DarthJeebus posted:

On this subject, does just lowering your FPS with bandicam or some casual freebie thing still help?

I know there are plenty of pro cheaters who tear these games a new one and get "Well I never have a problem" to show for it, but murph's law can be a bit of a bitch.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

On this subject, does just lowering your FPS with bandicam or some casual freebie thing still help?

I tried limiting my fps with Riva Tuner and I literally could not tell a difference.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I doubt anybody can tell you for certain. I do think it unlikely that it would result in a softban though. So, gently caress it, I am using it. From isn't competent enough at PC programming to do anything sophisticated when it comes to hack detection. If they were, we wouldn't be talking about fixes for amateur mistakes like linking things to framerate. Likely they do a sanity check of your savegame, and flag you if it doesn't add up.

The fix does make a significant difference when it comes to durability though. I don't feel like I am stressing about my weapons will hold up just to complete an areaa. Your durability still does go down too. This isn't a 'halt all durability decrease' kind of hack.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 7, 2015

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So, did they move the second encounter with Creighton? He's disappeared from the little prison, but I can't find him anywhere near the crossroads.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

He shows up at the top of one of the towers before the scorpion chick boss.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

He shows up at the top of one of the towers before the scorpion chick boss.

Ah, that makes sense! I'd already murdered Scorpio before I freed him. Thanks for the help!

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I'm not sure frame rate has anything to do with it. The only area I've ever had a problem with durability in this version or the pre-SOTFS version is No Man's Wharf and I'm generally the type of person that'll clear every nook and cranny of an area. I think maybe I had an issue fighting the Sentinels just because it requires a lot of hits to take all 3 of them down.

I also find it funny how this "enhanced" PC version still caps your FPS at 60. I haven't used VSync since getting a 144hz monitor and could probably easily clear 60 FPS in this game. As much as I love the Souls games, they are perfect examples of games that are just bad console ports.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

A lot of it depends on what weapons you use, and how careful you are about swinging into corpses. As soon as an enemy dies, their corpse turns into weapon-melting acid. Weapons which result in prolonged contact with corpses (often larger weapons) get their durability murdered.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

So if I restored a backup save after two hackers ruined my soul memory back when I was doing low level PvP characters before the agape ring existed, I would most likely get banned. While the hackers were probably never banned :thumbsup:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I tend to always do one swipe too many, and I haven't had much problem with weapon durability once I got past the very beginning of the game and had access to more than two weapons.

Your personal experience may vary but I feel like it's something that's more bothersome in concept than it is in practice, similar to enemies despawning.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Really I find the biggest problem with the whole durability issue is that some weapons are just flat out unfun for PvE when they could potentially be awesome. Otherwise, it's annoying but not necessarily game breaking.

I know it's not Dks1, but one of the great things about that game was you could choose a weapon that had the moveset that was the most fun for you, upgrade, and take it all the way through the game. Now I have to juggle backup weapons, some of which aren't as much fun for me to use. Again, not game breaking and not enough to keep me from playing, but I just want my Drangleic sword to get me through to the next bonfire.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty much anything that pokes or ground smashes gets wrecked on the last hit. And then there's garbage like the twinblade.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Durability hasn't been much of an issue for me in PvE scenarios, it just feels really dumb to have to be careful to only hit enemies exactly as many times as needed to kill them. There have been a few times where I leave an enemy alive with a sliver of health left so as to avoid committing to another attack that will go through their corpse and degrade my weapon, but it's not like that completely beaks immersion or anything. At the Shrine of Amana right now and I think I've only had to use two repair powders in the entire game, one of which was after I rolled into a pool of acid like an idiot.

Granted I'm using the mace which probably has decent durability anyway. It's probably a lot more annoying if you're using a katana or something similar.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I think the fact that you have three slots hints at the idea that you should have a backup weapon.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Djeser posted:

I think the fact that you have three slots hints at the idea that you should have a backup weapon.

Sure, you can equip three weapons if you want to fatroll everywhere and have poo poo stamina. Doesn't seem like a reasonable way to manage durability, IMO. I would rather have those two slots for my pyromancy flame and bow.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You can just switch them out from your inventory. Even at its very worst, weapon degradation has never been bad enough for me, even in my katana run, that I had a need to switch my main weapon mid-combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
why are people defending this gay rear end bug