Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

aw thanks guys, really uppin' my outlook itt :unsmith:

you're a twitter archwizard, get to dming your resume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

you do realize I'm not actually Jon Hendren and just posted his site as an example right

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

literally posted [img-timeline]

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

are all these stanford grads worth $100k straight out of school? is it really that important to twitter/oracle/facebook/google/apple that they have all their employees sequestered together in some awful tomb in the valley? amazon and microsoft are getting developers with 10+ years experience for the same number in vancouver and vancouver has the second highest cost of living in the whole loving world. imagine how little you could pay people in greensboro or houston

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

the talent deficit posted:

are all these stanford grads worth $100k straight out of school? is it really that important to twitter/oracle/facebook/google/apple that they have all their employees sequestered together in some awful tomb in the valley? amazon and microsoft are getting developers with 10+ years experience for the same number in vancouver and vancouver has the second highest cost of living in the whole loving world. imagine how little you could pay people in greensboro or houston

yeah but vancouver is in canada

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Beast of Bourbon posted:

yeah but vancouver is in canada

so... better?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

they are hiring for "culture fit" here stanford grads have had 4 years to incubate in technolibertarianism already

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

you'd have to pay a lot of people a lot of money to move to the loving south.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boxturret posted:

so... better?

you have to pay to import your grads from big name schools like ~*~Standford~*~

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fb/google/oracle/etc have other offices as well, and hire from other universities as well. you get the same offer coming from CMU or Waterloo and going to FB in Seattle.

splitting teams is definitely less effective, though.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Subjunctive posted:

i read a study about this

hi-larious

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

fb/google/oracle/etc have other offices as well, and hire from other universities as well. you get the same offer coming from CMU or Waterloo and going to FB in Seattle.

plz don't post my resume

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nintendo Kid posted:

you'd have to pay a lot of people a lot of money to move to the loving south.

Eh, seems to work for RedHat.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

in houston they do the exact same thing but with petroleum engineers

or they did until recently

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

computer parts posted:

in houston they do the exact same thing but with petroleum engineers

or they did until recently

lol

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I just saw a Ted Cruz for president poster on 3rd and mission, it is time to burn SF to the ground

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ironic?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

like free advice you just didn't take

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

you do realize I'm not actually Jon Hendren and just posted his site as an example right

bummer then, start working on ironic tweets

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

bassguitarhero posted:

I just saw a Ted Cruz for president poster on 3rd and mission, it is time to burn SF to the ground

you should hvae hosed it

that'll show him

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bassguitarhero posted:

it is time to burn SF to the ground

that was back in the 1800s

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bassguitarhero posted:

it is time to burn SF to the ground
they tried that back in 1906

it got rebuilt anyway :(

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

they tried that back in 1906

it got rebuilt anyway :(

at first i thought that was a picture of Hiroshima, goddamn

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

MoMA used to have an awesome exhibit on the 1906 fire.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
every metropolitan area should have a law that it must have at least 1 massive fire per century

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quote:

One of the most bizarre episodes in the entire occupation of Japan took place on January 1, 1946, in Nagasaki.

Back in the States, the Rose Bowl and other major college football bowl games, with the Great War over, were played as usual on New Year’s Day. To mark the day in Japan, and raise morale (at least for the Americans), two Marine divisions faced off in the so-called Atom Bowl, played on a killing field in Nagasaki that had been cleared of debris. It had been “carved out of dust and rubble,” as one wire service report put it.

Both teams had enlisted former college or pro stars for their squads. The “Bears” were led by quarterback Angelo Bertelli of Notre Dame, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1943, while the “Tigers” featured Bullet Bill Osmanski of the Chicago Bears, who topped pro football in rushing in 1939. Marines fashioned goal posts and bleachers out of scrap wood that had been blasted by the A-bomb. Nature helped provide more of a feel of home, as the day turned unusually chilly for Nagasaki and snow swirled.

More than 2000 turned out to watch. A band played the fight song, “On Wisconsin!” The rules were changed from tackle to two-hand touch because of all the glass shards remaining on the turf.

Press reports the next day claimed some Japanese observed the game—from the shells of blasted- out buildings nearby.
many of the players died young from cancers lmao

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

many of the players died young from cancers lmao

good.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

like free advice you just didn't take

like spoons on your wedding day

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

like spoons on your wedding day

you oughta know

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

you oughta know

*bass riff*

how the gently caress did that album come out in '95

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

*bass riff*

how the gently caress did that album come out in '95

Too late or too early?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it doesn't seem 20 years ago

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

hobbesmaster posted:

it doesn't seem 20 years ago

please report to recycling

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'd rather be solidly middle class in Vancouver than spend years of my life anywhere in Texas or Arkansas but that's just me

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

"I talked to my mentor," he says. "I talked to him and said, 'Look, they're going to assign me to some lame project. I really don't want to do that. Can you give me a couple of weeks to just explore around Palantir, figure out where the most interesting work is happening and then go work with those people?'"

lol what a maroon

"hey boss, doing this line work is boring, mind if i stumble around through the company, ignoring what departments actually need people until i'm not bored?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

lol what a maroon

"hey boss, doing this line work is boring, mind if i stumble around through the company, ignoring what departments actually need people until i'm not bored?"

they let people do this though

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Improbable Lobster posted:

lol what a maroon

Well not to mention that traditionally interns are taken on to give them some of the most boring or non-critical-path work (I guess the non critical path work can be interesting), because they don't bring a lot to the table.

Imagine if you were bumped off some project you earned the right to be on because some Stanford junior just wasn't feeling ~fulfilled~ with the job he was hired to do.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

they have basically infinite money and appear to prioritize quantity over quality. joining at the hip with a nearby college ensures a fairly constant supply of fresh devs who don't have the knowledge or experience to know better

the college is actively marketing themselves to the valley, too. article describes a bunch of people who started out in subjects like art or literature but got pushed into cs by advisors or something. and students who end up having dinner with multiple angel investor "mentors" every term. the bubble mentality is in full swing there

complete with future schadenfreude, even. those who don't jump into the school-to-valley pipeline because its not ~fulfilling~ enough lose their opportunities a lot faster than they think

quote:

Many of the Stanford students we spoke with said they weren't worried about money right now because their Stanford education provided them an earnings potential that would always be there.

For example, Jessica Taylor, the girl who opted not to work at Google, says, "I have pretty high confidence that I could in the future reapply at Google or apply at some other company like Google and probably get a decently good offer again."

It might not be so simple.

Tyler Willis, the CMO of Hired.com, says that right out of school, Stanford students get bigger salaries than their peers from MIT, Waterloo, Carnegie Mellon, and other top engineering schools.

This confirms PayScale data, which shows new Stanford computer-science grads get paid 9% more than MIT grads and 28% more than Cornell grads. But Willis says his data also shows that, after two years of work experience, Stanford graduates get no premium over graduates from other schools with equal work experience.

"The way that I interpret that data is that the brand of where you went to school matters a lot to get your foot in the door," he says. "Once you've got some projects under your belt that you can point to, the educational brand matters less."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the idea of hiring a recent college grad instead of someone who knows how to do their job is so weird to me.

• Locked thread