Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

mdemone posted:

I'm a little worried because Bill Kristol appears to have said something that will not turn out to have been wrong. My world is crumbling.

Bring me the latest tweet of Dick Morris, that I may be soothed again.
http://www.dickmorris.com/iran-deal-holocaust-in-2026/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

That's a pretty good deal, compared to what Huck is offering.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "David Vitter has a zero tolerance policy for corruption." ~ David Vitter campaign ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQALzsBDLR8&t=45s

His body rejects the corruption, making GBS threads it out, which is why he has to wear a protective garment.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Did he store the corruption in his mini-fridge?

In other news, Fiorina knows what really caused the drought in California.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/6/carly-fiorina-blames-liberal-environmentalists-for/

quote:

Former Hewlett-Packard CEO and potential Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina is blaming California’s water crisis on “liberal environmentalists” who are “willing to sacrifice other people’s lives and livelihoods at the altar of their ideology.”

“With different policies over the last 20 years, all of this could be avoided,” Ms. Fiorina said in an interview Monday on Glenn Beck’s radio show, The Blazereported. “Despite the fact that California has suffered from droughts for millennia, liberal environmentalists have prevented the building of a single new reservoir or a single new water conveyance system over decades during a period in which California’s population has doubled.”

Ms. Fiorina said that as a result, 70 percent of California’s rainfall “washes out to sea” every year, The Blaze reported.

“California is a classic case of liberals being willing to sacrifice other people’s lives and livelihoods at the altar of their ideology. It is a tragedy,” Ms. Fiorina said.

The whole thing is terrific.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/6/carly-fiorina-blames-liberal-environmentalists-for/

The candidate does not understand how rainfall works

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

You gots to pray to Jesus hard enough and do the proper dancin' for that there skywater to stick.

Just ask Texas

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "David Vitter has a zero tolerance policy for corruption." ~ David Vitter campaign ad.

His body rejects the corruption, making GBS threads it out, which is why he has to wear a protective garment.

Together, Louisiana Strong sounds like something the Hulk would say.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

My Imaginary GF posted:

You gots to pray to Jesus hard enough and do the proper dancin' for that there skywater to stick.

Just ask Texas

And Georgia.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Logikv9 posted:

Together, Louisiana Strong sounds like something the Hulk would say.

'Louisiana Strong' sounds like a great name for a Congressional candidate from Baton Rouge

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
And South Florida when the Biscayne Aquifer is inevitably contaminated with saltwater

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

This post is a work of art and I just want to admire it some more. :allears:

Content: Future Democratic Senate Leader Chuck Schumer is onboard with the Republicans' Iran plan. I wonder if this'll completely doom Obama's executive actions in Congress.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

For a long long time in American policymaking circles fresh water that made it to the ocean was considered "wasted" because it is now no longer fresh water.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

White SC cop video taped shooting a fleeing suspect in the back. Claims self-defense, being charged with murder.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/04/07/3644139/sc-cop-charged-with-murder/

quote:

Officer Will Be Charged With Murder After Video Shows Him Killing Black Man Who Was Fleeing

by Carimah Townes Posted on April 7, 2015 at 5:57 pm Updated: April 7, 2015 at 7:31 pm
3,296Share This 996Tweet This

"Officer Will Be Charged With Murder After Video Shows Him Killing Black Man Who Was Fleeing"

Share:
facebook icon twitter icon
back

CREDIT: Screenshot

A North Charleston officer who previously claimed he shot and killed a suspect in self-defense now faces murder charges, as a newly-surfaced video shows 50-year-old Walter Larner Scott running away from Patrolman Michael Thomas Slager.

Last Saturday, Scott was pulled over for a broken traffic light in West Ashley, South Carolina. According to Slager, Scott attempted to flee the scene before trying to reach for the officer’s Taser. Feeling threatened, Slager deployed his weapon. But a video recorded and submitted by an unnamed bystander, actually shows Scott running away from Slager when eight shots are fired in his direction. Slager repeatedly yells at Scott, who’s laying on the ground, to put his hands behind his back, before handcuffing him.

https://vimeo.com/124336782

On Tuesday, the town’s City Council was informed that Slager will be relieved of his duties in the near future. Mayor Keith Summey confirmed Slager will also be charged with murder.

Although cops are rarely indicted for the use of deadly force, even if they’re caught on film, another South Carolina police officer — in that case, a small town police chief — was indicted for shooting an unarmed black man, late last year.

Old James fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 8, 2015

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.kansascity.com/news/state/kansas/article17139890.html

Here's something interesting indeed.

quote:

A Wichita State University mathematician sued the top Kansas election official Wednesday, seeking paper tapes from electronic voting machines in an effort to explain statistical anomalies favoring Republicans in counts coming from large precincts across the country.

Beth Clarkson, chief statistician for the university’s National Institute for Aviation Research, filed the open records lawsuit in Sedgwick County District Court as part of her personal quest to find the answer to an unexplained pattern that transcends elections and states. The lawsuit was amended Wednesday to name Secretary of State Kris Kobach and Sedgwick County Elections Commissioner Tabitha Lehman.

Clarkson, a certified quality engineer with a Ph.D. in statistics, said she has analyzed election returns in Kansas and elsewhere over several elections that indicate “a statistically significant” pattern where the percentage of Republican votes increase the larger the size of the precinct.

While it is well-recognized that smaller, rural precincts tend to lean Republican, statisticians have been unable to explain the consistent pattern favoring Republicans that trends upward as the number of votes cast in a precinct or other voting unit goes up. In primaries, the favored candidate appears to always be the Republican establishment candidate, above a tea party challenger. And the upward trend for Republicans occurs once a voting unit reaches roughly 500 votes.
Related
Kobach on Sedgwick County election lawsuit: Time is past, votes are sealed

“This is not just an anomaly that occurred in one place,” Clarkson said. “It is a pattern that has occurred repeatedly in elections across the United States.”

The pattern could be voter fraud or a demographic trend that has not been picked up by extensive polling, she said.

“I do not know why this trend is there, but I know that the pattern is there and one way to establish that it is or is not election fraud is to go and do a physical audit of paper records of voting machines,” she said.

Clarkson wants the hard copies to check the error rate on electronic voting machines that were used in a voting station in Sedgwick County to establish a statistical model.

A spokeswoman for the secretary of state’s office said in an e-mail that the office has not received a copy of the lawsuit and is therefore unable to comment on it. A phone message left at the Sedgwick County elections office for Lehman was not immediately returned.

Clarkson became more interested in the issue after reading a paper written by statisticians Francois Choquette and James Johnson in 2012 of the Republican primary results showing strong statistical evidence of election manipulation in Iowa, New Hampshire, Arizona, Ohio, Oklahoma, Alabama, Louisiana, Wisconsin, West Virginia and Kentucky.

Clarkson said she couldn’t believe their findings, so she checked their math and found it was correct and checked their model selection and found it appropriate. Then she pulled additional data from other elections they hadn’t analyzed and found the same pattern.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/state/kansas/article17139890.html#storylink=cpy

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Will be lost down the memory hole because facts don't matter.

Kochs could install themselves as God-Emperors of America and most people wouldn't give a poo poo.

E: but holy poo poo depressing if true

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

"Rainfall, much like businesses I've been in charge of, hit the ground at high impact and then waste away when there's nothing to collect it."

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

zoux posted:

Who's vision of the future is making Anime real?

The Neocons. The anime just happens to be Fist of the North Star.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Pretty sure lots of dams in California would be a terrible idea given that they tend to render the land downstream non-arable and they destroy everything upstream. I thought conservatives LIKED farmers. (Lol just kidding I know they like them about as much as are troops. That is to say, not at all.)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

This just proves that democrats are sore losers.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Old James posted:

White SC cop video taped shooting a fleeing suspect in the back. Claims self-defense, being charged with murder.

There will be a timely article stating that Scott had been jailed on unrelated charges at some point in his 55 year life, that will be the selection on front page, and a mention that he had no outstanding warrants at the end of the article on the inside of the paper.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sir Tonk posted:

This is real crazy, but it's a meme in conservative circles along with "we're screwing over farmers because of a tiny fish nobody cares about!" You guys should follow right wing media more. This is something literally everyone running in the GOP primary thinks is uncontroversial truth.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Xibanya posted:

Will be lost down the memory hole because facts don't matter.

Kochs could install themselves as God-Emperors of America and most people wouldn't give a poo poo.

E: but holy poo poo depressing if true

Yeah I think you need to talk to someone, if they actually tried something like that we'd have a Caesar in a decade.

But this doesn't surprise me that the republicans establishment is literally rigging elections, really if you want to make things better in the united states make such action an act of treason and also make acts of treason (with a mandatory death sentence) unpardonable. So if you commit such an action you can easily sign your death warrant.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah I think you need to talk to someone, if they actually tried something like that we'd have a Caesar in a decade.

But this doesn't surprise me that the republicans establishment is literally rigging elections, really if you want to make things better in the united states make such action an act of treason and also make acts of treason (with a mandatory death sentence) unpardonable. So if you commit such an action you can easily sign your death warrant.

Meh, just make it seditious. I like that the definition of treason is so strict. I believe you need witnesses attesting that you swore fealty to a different sovereign nation and that you fought in war against the USA.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Old James posted:

Not mentioned in your quote:
Video shows officer planting taser on the man he shot in the back.
Also, officers claim to have performed CPR on him before paramedics arrived, but instead they just watched him die.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This sounds like it only focuses on Republican primary elections.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ErIog posted:

This is real crazy, but it's a meme in conservative circles along with "we're screwing over farmers because of a tiny fish nobody cares about!" You guys should follow right wing media more. This is something literally everyone running in the GOP primary thinks is uncontroversial truth.

The comedy of course being that that tiny fish is diet of all the fish we like to eat.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Xibanya posted:

Meh, just make it seditious. I like that the definition of treason is so strict. I believe you need witnesses attesting that you swore fealty to a different sovereign nation and that you fought in war against the USA.

I prefer to have it so that Democracy is the ideal of our nation, and trying to undermine it, makes one obviously a hostis publicus. Best of all get this to be a constitutional amendment and you'd get something that the tea party mount breathers would love. Whilst stripping their creators of one of their means of corrupting the system.

computer parts posted:

Even better, tell the tea party this is all about keeping the vote honest. You know how much they want it kept honest, and don't want Soros or his goons stealing their vote.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

A Winner is Jew posted:

Directly no.

Indirectly they prevent the poor from rioting and potentially overthrowing the government while killing all the rich people when they can't eat so yes... EBT is absofuckinglutelly revenue-generating as it lets the rich actually keep their money.

The rich don't need EBT to keep their money; starving people can't melt the steel beams of the gated communities.
Seriously, if it ever got to the point Americans felt they had nothing to lose by rioting, it would be too late for them to win.

They've already been too easily divided into fighting each other over petty social concerns like religion, and pitting the middle class and poor whites against each other and minorities. Divide and conquer.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 8, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

computer parts posted:

If this bears fruit, it will be amazing for the GOP Civil War.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Congratulations, MIGF.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Crowsbeak posted:

I prefer to have it so that Democracy is the ideal of our nation, and trying to undermine it, makes one obviously a hostis publicus. Best of all get this to be a constitutional amendment and you'd get something that the tea party mount breathers would love. Whilst stripping their creators of one of their means of corrupting the system.

Undermining the rightful government of a nation is basically what sedition is. Since our government is meant to be "of the people," short circuiting the democratic process could be interpreted as sedition if there was a legal framework pointing to that. I hate to be pedantic, but the founders themselves were quite specific on treason vs. sedition. Basically because charges of treason can be great for doing away with people whose lives are inconvenient to the ruling class.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Congratulations, MIGF.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

A song for the night. 56-44, it vindicates that money is the most important thing in elections and that the candidate with the decisive financial lead is far and away more likely to win.

Voters don't matter, money matters. Raise that money, spend that money, win elections: The process god intended for democracy. Ground games don't matter beyond 3-5 points.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

The comedy of course being that that tiny fish is diet of all the fish we like to eat.

Salmon fishermen are probably communists anyway.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

My Imaginary GF posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

A song for the night. 56-44, it vindicates that money is the most important thing in elections and that the candidate with the decisive financial lead is far and away more likely to win.

Voters don't matter, money matters. Raise that money, spend that money, win elections: The process god intended for democracy. Ground games don't matter beyond 3-5 points.

Gee, I wonder which part of the campaign you're responsible for. You're one of the guys that goes door-to-door, right? You should have more faith in the worth of your job.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nonsense posted:

There will be a timely article stating that Scott had been jailed on unrelated charges at some point in his 55 year life, that will be the selection on front page, and a mention that he had no outstanding warrants at the end of the article on the inside of the paper.

That would be the New York Times version, yes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

quote:

Mr. Scott had been arrested about 10 times, mostly for failing to pay child support or show up for court hearings, according to The Post and Courier newspaper of Charleston. He was arrested in 1987 on an assault and battery charge and convicted in 1991 of possession of a bludgeon, the newspaper reported. Mr. Scott’s brother, Anthony, said he believed Mr. Scott had fled from the police on Saturday because he owed child support.

“He has four children; he doesn’t have some type of big violent past or arrest record,” said Chris Stewart, a lawyer for Mr. Scott’s family. “He had a job; he was engaged. He had back child support and didn’t want to go to jail for back child support.”

Not particularly relevant to clear vied evidence of the cop not under threat, shooting someone in the back, planting a weapon on the victim, not performing any medical care, and lying about all of the above in the report, but don't worry - the NYT is there to tell you that black man was guilty of something

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Xibanya posted:

Undermining the rightful government of a nation is basically what sedition is. Since our government is meant to be "of the people," short circuiting the democratic process could be interpreted as sedition if there was a legal framework pointing to that. I hate to be pedantic, but the founders themselves were quite specific on treason vs. sedition. Basically because charges of treason can be great for doing away with people whose lives are inconvenient to the ruling class.

Treason gets teapartiers to support it as a constitutional amendment.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Congratulations, MIGF.

any word on Ward 2 out of Ferguson yet? I'm interested to see how that race shakes out

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

any word on Ward 2 out of Ferguson yet? I'm interested to see how that race shakes out

Election results will be posted here: http://electionresults.stlouisco.com/

Unofficial results for the April 7, 2015 General Municipal Election will be available starting around 8:00 pm. Initial results will be from absentee ballots. Results will continue to posted throughout the evening in approximate one hour intervals, with final unofficial results expected around 11:00 to 11:30 pm.

Could come down to crucial Waukesha county...

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

Job Creator, noun. Term used in political discussion to signify the person using it is full of poo poo.

The correct answer to my question is an honest progressive tax rate that focuses on income not consumption.

Trabisnikof posted:

Correctness matters less than effectiveness of communication. "Job Creator" is more effectively communicated than "an honest progressive tax rate that focuses on income not consumption"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm not actually sure the caricature of a white antebellum plantation owner would register as negative for many southern conservatives

• Locked thread