Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

raaaan posted:

Once I was I line at really crowded Tim Horton's with my mother and we witnessed a lady screaming at her daughter, "Ocean! Ocean I said sit down! Don't play in the garbage!" There were more than a few people in line that I accidentally made eye contact with who looked like they were legit trying not to pee themselves laughing.

Océane is a legit (spectacularly overused) French name. So maybe they just decided to translate ?

Or maybe they're mispronouncing Oisín.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

raaaan posted:

My best friend's single mother got all excited when her cousin named his daughter Genesis (which is somehow 80's music related I guess?) and had to be talked out of naming my buddy Duran after Duran Duran by his grandmother.

Lemme get my walker... :corsair: Founded in 1967. But they did have some major hits in the late 70's and early-mid 80's during the Phil Collins era.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Goons pretending to not know world-famous prog rock bands. That's new!

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
At my old job I got to speak with illustrious fellows such as Elizabeth Elizabeth and Daax Mdaax (???).

My favorite, though, has to be LordPharaoh ImHotepAmonRa, CEO for Egyptian Magic skin cream.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One of those is an actual alien for sure.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

raaaan posted:

My best friend's single mother got all excited when her cousin named his daughter Genesis (which is somehow 80's music related I guess?) and had to be talked out of naming my buddy Duran after Duran Duran by his grandmother.

You youngins and not knowing the awesomeness that is Genesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkVLqSaahk

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
I once met someone with the last name "Huemann," pretty sure that guarantees they were a robot.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

mamelon posted:

I once met someone with the last name "Huemann," pretty sure that guarantees they were a robot.

I feel like I can't even read the name without exaggerating the pronunciation, either, because of the spelling.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

John Quixote posted:

My favorite, though, has to be LordPharaoh ImHotepAmonRa, CEO for Egyptian Magic skin cream.

He sounds like a perfectly rational and not at all insane individual.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I don't understand the reasoning behind naming a lip balm "Chicken Poop". Yet, per list of ingredients on http://www.ilovechickenpoop.com/, it doesn't contain chicken poop! That's some false advertising...

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

canis minor posted:

I don't understand the reasoning behind naming a lip balm "Chicken Poop".

The reasoning is that you can tell your friends that you rub Chicken Poop on your lips.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
With a name like that....

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

John Quixote posted:

At my old job I got to speak with illustrious fellows such as Elizabeth Elizabeth and Daax Mdaax (???).

M'Daax

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
There's a councilwoman in a nearby town by the name of Sunday F. Coward. I have no idea how you go into politics without changing that.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Niton posted:

There's a councilwoman in a nearby town by the name of Sunday F. Coward. I have no idea how you go into politics without changing that.

There was a politician in NH a while ago called Dudley Dudley. To make it even better it was a woman.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Beardless posted:

There was a politician in NH a while ago called Dudley Dudley. To make it even better it was a woman.

Please tell me she at least put someone through a table.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Please tell me she at least put someone through a table.

All I know about her is that one of uncles stole a bunch of her campaign signs when he was drunk in college.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Samuel Sly-Hoar

Bombajio
Jan 23, 2006

Hasta la vista, meatbag!
My little brother has a classmate called Analy. No, we don't live in an english-speaking country but it is JUST as ridiculous as it would be then. That poor girl.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Boobney :stonk:

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
I was just browsing Facebook, looking up HS classmates and found out that a bunch of them, and other people from that small town, have kids with dumb names:

Makena, Sequoia, Daphney, and Keaton
Marleigh
Carminn
Rivar
Awtumn and Alessia
Makyra
Sylar and Chase
Gracyn
Caydon
Keona
Drayden
Kaleen
Delbert
Deacon, Dakota, and Jorja
Wilder
Rayha Ocean and Trinity
Ryder and Fayth

And the best for last:
Harley-Quinn Wednesday Zelda - this kid was wearing a TARDIS onesie and had a Superman pacifer.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Carbon Thief posted:

I was just browsing Facebook, looking up HS classmates and found out that a bunch of them, and other people from that small town, have kids with dumb names:

Makena, Sequoia, Daphney, and Keaton
Marleigh
Carminn
Rivar
Awtumn and Alessia
Makyra
Sylar and Chase
Gracyn
Caydon
Keona
Drayden
Kaleen
Delbert
Deacon, Dakota, and Jorja
Wilder
Rayha Ocean and Trinity
Ryder and Fayth

And the best for last:
Harley-Quinn Wednesday Zelda - this kid was wearing a TARDIS onesie and had a Superman pacifer.

Was this in Utah?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Jorja might be my favorite entry in the whole thread, besides Sir Obediah Wheatfish.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Drayden Koedak

This one grows acceptable to me if named in honor of Gene Wilder :3:

bringmyfishback posted:

Jorja might be my favorite entry in the whole thread, besides Sir Obediah Wheatfish.

The story behind that one was pretty good, too. Simple but it has stuck with me for many years.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Aadyn. Seen on the sign for a kid's birthday pizza place. "Happy Birthday Aadyn!"

It would not honestly surprise me if it was a girl, too.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

I appreciate this flawless reference.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Height of dorkiness: a guy I know named his son Lex Gannon after Lex Luthor and Gannon from Zelda. Great when he gets to high school and tells people my dad names me after a comic book villain and the bad guy in Super Mario Brothers.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder

Count Freebasie posted:

Height of dorkiness: a guy I know named his son Lex Gannon after Lex Luthor and Gannon from Zelda. Great when he gets to high school and tells people my dad names me after a comic book villain and the bad guy in Super Mario Brothers.

A lot of great names can come from this.

Bowser Ultron, example.

Or maybe (Dr.) Wily Bizarro Superman

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Count Freebasie posted:

Even Lex knew it was just short for Alexander and not like it's own actual name. I bet he'll be assumed to be a girl as well and someone just left the I off Lexi.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Was this in Utah?

Northern Ontario. :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

It's an okay name. If I ever changed mine to get rid of this ultrareligious ball-and-chain I've been carrying my entire life, that's what I'd pick.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Carbon Thief posted:

Northern Ontario. :(

Nothing spruces up the birth announcements like a good sized tailings pond.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AlistairCookie posted:

Aadyn. Seen on the sign for a kid's birthday pizza place. "Happy Birthday Aadyn!"

It would not honestly surprise me if it was a girl, too.

I hope it's pronounced like the aa in aardvark.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sweeperbravo posted:

I hope it's pronounced like the aa in aardvark.

I was thinking the aa in Aaron.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Looks like a super-speshul-snowflake misspelling of Aiden/Aidan, probably pronounced the same. Secretly I hope it's AA as in aardvark too though.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
It's kind of fascinating how the "y" is being shoved into names all over the place. Fayth? Daphney?

My kid's name is Bruce and I can't find his name on keychains or mugs or anything. But there is always a Bryce!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
There was a guy named Cotile in my store the other day.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I had TLC on in the background and heard a promo for a new show. It's Duggars in musical form, right down to the 'J' names. Unlike the Duggars, this family is a tad more creative and so the roster includes Jedi and Jaeger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
My local mall is doing a "spend $100, present your receipt, and we'll write your kid's name on a decorated plank of wood that you can hang on their door" deal.
In the space of 5 minutes, I saw:
Kayli
Marilyne (pronounced Marleen)
Shily
and Yasp.