Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Allow pods to be scooped, and then bombard a planet with pods prior to glassing it. It's the modern equivalent of flinging heads over the walls of Minas Tirith.

(Who am I kidding? It's a terrible idea. The Black Company managed to convey the idea of "bad protagonists" with more subtlety.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Cathair posted:

The whole automated pod-popping via point defense is a nice touch and all, but frankly I don't care much about anything related to enemy escape pods, I'm much more interested in the rest of the game. :shobon:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I feel like there are a lot of good ideas around the escape pods that, despite being good ideas, would be a distraction more than anything. It seems like it should be a minor part of the game that's more of an aesthetic thing than an actual game mechanic.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was gonna say just let omniflak clean up pods automagically, but I realized I don't actually know what omniflak is specifically.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I was actually wondering about the endgame and how you could convey you are the bad guy that way while also keeps the endgame interesting, what if the endgame reinforced your role as the aggressor. One of the problems I can see with you reaching max fleet size is just punching through everything remaining in the game without a serious fight but what if the enemy forces consolidated.

What if once you got your death fleet the enemies made their respective helm's deeps, it'd keep the stakes raised enough and ensure the fights would manage to engage you and by putting them on the defensive it can make you feel powerful as well as a natural agressor without beating "YOU ARE EVIIIIL" into someones head.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Given the final objective of that game mode is to glass the enemy's homeworld, I'd say that does the job for painting you as the badguy. Or at least a dick.

Orv posted:

I was gonna say just let omniflak clean up pods automagically, but I realized I don't actually know what omniflak is specifically.

Well, "Omni" basically means "all the things", so obvious Omni-Flak flaks everything. :eng101:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, "Omni" basically means "all the things", so obvious Omni-Flak flaks everything. :eng101:

Thanks professor. I mean in game mechanics. It just looks like flak with dye packs in it, but I would like to know more about its effectiveness vis a vis, well yes, everything.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Given the final objective of that game mode is to glass the enemy's homeworld, I'd say that does the job for painting you as the badguy. Or at least a dick.
What if they really had it coming tho

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
so wait i thought this was a game about driving a space plane that shoots other space planes?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ernie Muppari posted:

so wait i thought this was a game about driving a space plane that shoots other space planes?
This is a game about escape pods.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

We have reached a point where all games need to be Spec Ops The line in terms of war crimes.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

War Crime Simulator 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

In the end of the game you napalm an entire planet which is a lot more hardcore than napalming a single alleyway of women and children.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

oh wait so this is another 40k em up then? :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ernie Muppari posted:

oh wait so this is another 40k em up then? :smith:

I don't think we'll be turning the entire atmosphere of the planet into one giant, never-ending bubonic plague.

Kairo?

(The gently caress does that mean?)

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Orv posted:

Kairo?

(The gently caress does that mean?)

my sentiments exactly?

Orv
May 4, 2011
What do you mean by "40k em up"

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

You should be able to bomb planets and burn the atmosphere so I can reenact the homeworld mission.
And then feel really awful :(

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 8, 2015

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Making everything grimdark as gently caress I bet

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fragrag posted:

Making everything grimdark as gently caress I bet

Eradicating the enemy holdfast has kind of been the endgame since he started talking lore as far as I'm aware. Beyond that and the pod thing, nothing else about it is particularly grimdark.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Orv posted:

Really, all this talk about pod popping and no-one suggests ripping the Beast missile conversion screams from Cataclysm?

:stare: Dont remind me. Why did you remind me?

You're a bad person. :arghfist::mad:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Duh.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thyrork posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM8OyBBoUhg

Enjoy.

"" posted:

The purging protocols mentioned are quite brutal. It involves flushing decks under threat of infection with surplus superheated plasma from the fusion drives, instantly immolating everything in the area including crew, unshielded equipment and the Beast entity itself. This is based on the rationale that it is infinitely preferable for the crew to be instantly killed than to spend an eternity as part of a Beast biocircuit, and that it would be better to lose a few decks than the whole ship.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 8, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
If i remember Cataclysm correctly it that only the mining fleet actually executed said protocols, and the other races had whole battleships infected, right?

God that game was great. While it didn't haunt me as much as my post implies, my cousin (who i introduced it to) was seriously bothered by it. His first real hard division of reality/fantasy by encountering something so awful (to him at the time) it made him firmly aware of the divide. We all go through something like that.

His father was not amused, and i was rather pointedly told so. :haw:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Send the pods home rigged with death

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cataclysm is so fun. I dug out my old CD earlier this year and played through it again. The game has aged really well.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Syves posted:

So it basically acts as a difficulty modifier. Start playing on baby cakes easy, start annihilating their ships, and popping pods for a little extra dread, or even just to showboat, and the defense forces respond a little more war crimey back at you.

Love this poo poo. Great thinking.

Maybe there's an easy way to tie this into the escalation mechanic that's already in there?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

HiroProtagonist posted:

Love this poo poo. Great thinking.

Maybe there's an easy way to tie this into the escalation mechanic that's already in there?

It is a good idea, but there should be a reward for destroying pods. Otherwise the player has no incentive of destroying them (unless someone wants simply to amp up the challenge but there are easier ways to give that option.)

Maybe make pods out of a special resource. If destroyed, a little bit can be salvaged, which is worth a lot to the right people. Something along those lines.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
The incentive was already there though: extra dread. Something small but noticeable as it accumulates, like 15 or 20 per pod.

Dread is the currency with which the player purchases reinforcements.

The balance here is just that the extra bonus currency comes with a price tag, that of escalating the enemy's aggression and response faster than it would increase otherwise.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh okay, I completly missed that. Sorry, don't mind me.
Yeah in that case - commit horrible war crimes all the time.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh okay, I completly missed that. Sorry, don't mind me.
Yeah in that case - commit horrible war crimes all the time.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Enemy Starfighter: commit horrible war crimes all the time

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its not a war crime if the Player Empire doesn't recognize it as such. :smuggo:

GruntyThrst posted:

Podding isn't a problem because rebels aren't people. :hitler:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

In space, no one can sign the Geneva Convention.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HardDisk posted:

In space, no one can sign the Geneva Convention.

Now imagine everyone's eyeballs exploded all over their faces and floating about.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Orv posted:

Now imagine everyone's eyeballs exploded all over their faces and floating about.

Except that's the signing of the Japanese Surrender:eng101:

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Seeing as this is now the enemy starfighter wishlist/suggestion thread, can we have the following:

The original unintelligible radio chatter either back or as an alternative audio theme

A swarm mode or similar where I can just shoot the ships without any of the RTS stuff

tia

Orv
May 4, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well the Geneva Convention was signed in a dusty conference room and it's hard to make a space sim joke with dull wood 1860s architecture.

E: The Geneva Convention was signed in an even less space-y room.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 8, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ceasefire.

The proud Empire of Japan never surrendered. It simply decided it would be a good time to focus on internal economic development. For 70 years.

Though, fun fact! They recently flouted their constitution and passed a law 'allowing' them to maintain a standing army once again, which, China, I think is a huge fan of.

So the world is going to end soon, and it's all japan's fault. Which shouldn't be a surprise, based on the number of Anime which document that kind of thing in amazing detail.

Kairo, release you game. Earth is running out of time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Ceasefire.

The proud Empire of Japan never surrendered. It simply decided it would be a good time to focus on internal economic development. For 70 years.

Though, fun fact! They recently flouted their constitution and passed a law 'allowing' them to maintain a standing army once again, which, China, I think is a huge fan of.

So the world is going to end soon, and it's all japan's fault. Which shouldn't be a surprise, based on the number of Anime which document that kind of thing in amazing detail.

Kairo, release you game. Earth is running out of time.

No, the representative of the Emperor signed a document that said "We hereby proclaim the unconditional surrender to the Allied Powers of the Japanese Imperial General Headquarters and of all Japanese Armed Forces and all Armed Forces under Japanese control wherever situated." and "The authority of the Emperor and the Japanese Government to rule the State shall be subject to the Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers, who will take such steps as he deems proper to effectuate these terms of surrender."

Which is pretty conclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Inspector_666 posted:

No, the representative of the Emperor signed a document that said "We hereby proclaim the unconditional surrender to the Allied Powers of the Japanese Imperial General Headquarters and of all Japanese Armed Forces and all Armed Forces under Japanese control wherever situated." and "The authority of the Emperor and the Japanese Government to rule the State shall be subject to the Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers, who will take such steps as he deems proper to effectuate these terms of surrender."

Which is pretty conclusive.

But the United States never tried Hirohito... :tinfoil:

• Locked thread