Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G-Reco isn't my favorite Gundam series by any means but it's pretty comfortably better than anything Gundam has put out in the last decade with the possible exception of BF (Which, despite being Gundam fanservice, I feel weird ranking as a Gundam series.) I said this before but whle I liked G-Reco that also speaks for how goddamn dire Gundam has been. The strongest is probably 00 and that's winning by default when you're surrounded by Destiny and Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Here's a spoiler Reconguista in G was loving garbage and the only people who are defending it are doing contortions that you usually see in Chinese acrobatic troops' acts.

No really, it was a bad show. I have no idea how anyone is still talking about this show as anything other than a call for Tomino to please just go away.

It's actually really good

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've yet to see how that absolute mess that barely had any explanation, exposition, or resolution can be considered a good show. You even have one of the most interesting struggles (former class of people used as loving FOOD wanting to fight for their rights, honor, etc) come down to "oh well, never mind". None of the characters had any more depth than Tomino just visiting old tropes of his past shows just to throw on the screen. Vague ideas and fan service don't make a quality show.

It actually had plenty of explanation, exposition, and resolution. And some of the best characterization I've seen in an anime.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I liked G-Reco. I will say that I had to look in this thread more than once because of confusion but it was nice having weekly glimpses at a chill rear end robot show with excellent music. The fact that it looked like Eureka Seven also gave it a lot of points for me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

I liked G-Reco. I will say that I had to look in this thread more than once because of confusion but it was nice having weekly glimpses at a chill rear end robot show with excellent music. The fact that it looked like Eureka Seven also gave it a lot of points for me.

You should watch Overman King Gainer, if you haven't already. It's another Tomino show with designs by Kenichi Yoshida. It's similar in tone to G-Reco but definitely more understandable and with more good characters.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
all fiction, non-fiction, and reality itself is garbage trash hth

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I think it's my personal AOTY.
Also of last year.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

all fiction, non-fiction, and reality itself is garbage trash hth

Life is beautiful and lovely.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The expanded ending episode is one of the things I'm most excited for right now.
Does anyone know when the final BD is getting released.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

As a person with very limited knowledge of Gundam and hates 00(or as I call it, Conference Room: The Anime) the most out of the few series he's seen, G-Reco was pretty alright. Good, not great. Had lots of cool idea and some tense battles here and there. Wasn't remotely emotionally or thematically satisfying, but it was a hell of a ride all told.

Pros:
-Bellri was a refreshingly positive protaganist(though it's arguable that in some cases, his characterization seems to just come from nothing or he'll get over these big emotional moments immediately and never mention them again.)

-Creative/bizarre mecha designs

-The setting Tomino and his crew created is a phenomenal accomplishment. I adore the look and feel of the world and Towasanga, and a lot of the fun was looking forward to whatever crazy sight was coming up next.

-Aida's arc

-Klim Nick and Mick Jack :allears:

-The Megafauna's crew were all really fun. Speaking of...

-Steer

-The soundtrack, which hits later this month, btw.

-Araki's episode, which, next to the finale, is still my favorite part of the whole thing.

-The copious manservice

-Best OH poo poo moment of the finale

:krad: :iceburn: :krad:

Cons:

-Raraiya. Just didn't care for her much, before or after her character shift. I felt like what they were up to with her was always just a lil too on-the-nose. I'll take boringly perfect Raraiya over annoyingly, uhhh affected Raraiya any day of the week, tho.

-I cooled on the show real hard when they head to Venus Globe, mostly because they keep introducing lame new dumbasses like the G-IT corps while half the main cast, who'd already been well-established and into whom I'd gotten invested, just gently caress off for a literal month's worth of episodes, without so much as an aside or short incidental scene showing what Capitol Tower or Mask or Nick or anybody are up to or what they must think of their objective just vanishing into deep space for God knows how long. The way the show tries to catch everything up and reintroduce them all after everything with Mbeki is said and done is almost hilariously clunky.

"Oh hey guys. We've been doing all this, and also before that, Mask has been doing this and this and this, entirely offscreen, and now y'all should proly go take care of that. Now. Like right now. Go. Leave. NOW. RIGHT NOW"

-Said episode is also where I had to step back and make the conscious decision to disengage emotionally from the story or risk major disappointment later down the line, cause G-Reco lines up three big, sweepingly emotional scenes back-to-back(Mbeki's memorial, Manny and Mask's reunion, and Bellri seeing his mother again), and they ALL land with a wet thud. The show was rushing along at such a rate that no single moment had a chance to breathe, and they overcompensate by laying it on so thick with the music that I got nothing from any of it, save unintentional laughter.

-Mashner's death was loving lame, and it pissed me off to see them do an otherwise cool, scarily competent character like that.

-Battle scenes lean far too hard on "hey, a sacred thing. I bet they'll never shoot near it...welp" for way too long. I kept hoping for G-Reco to branch out and explore some different tactics or new ways to articulate its themes, but that never materialized. Shame.

-Nick putting Raraiya in the G-Self. Still the dumbest, most disposable moment of the whole show.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

People are still doing fanart because of the reruns, I like this one.

https://twitter.com/nebusoku00

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

The expanded ending episode is one of the things I'm most excited for right now.
Does anyone know when the final BD is getting released.

End of August.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Sharkopath posted:

Life is beautiful and lovely.

incorrect also you are bad and should feel bad

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

dogsicle posted:

You should watch Overman King Gainer, if you haven't already. It's another Tomino show with designs by Kenichi Yoshida. It's similar in tone to G-Reco but definitely more understandable and with more good characters.

Yeah, I've heard good things from this forum. Definitely need more giant robots and Tomino in my life.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lol Bad science fiction isn't art.

lol

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
What were everyone's favourite designs from this show?

Mine were the: Montero, Gundam G-Lucifer, G-Self with Perfect Pack, Elf Bullock and Caitsith.

Share with us your favourite mechboners.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
G-Lucifer, Armorzagan, and Gaitrash

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grimoire, G-Arcane/Self/Lucifer, Hecate, Z'gocky, Dharma, Dahack, Recten/Recksnow (#1 no contest), Neodu, Armorzagan, Mack Knife, Moran, Gastima, Mazraster, and Gaeon. And apparently I like the Catsith enough to want the kit.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Mack Knife all the way. Also Montero, because I can't ever see or hear its name without following it with "Jack."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's called the Perfect Pack for a reason.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The Mack Knife was pretty cool. Nothing else particularly stood out to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

G-Lucifer, Armorzagan, and Gaitrash

I really wish the Amorzagan wasn't so drat big, just so I could get an HG kit of it :sigh:.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't know what it is about it, but I kinda love the Grimoire.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Shinjobi posted:

Yes. Also I really liked the Genocide-Self. Especially the Reflector Pack.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Grimoire was cool but not Zgocky

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

I wish we'd gotten more ball-cockpit robots like the Grimoire and Montero, because they were neat. I don't think they ever saved anyone's life, but they were neat.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
1) Recten
2) Recten w/Gun
3) Grimoire
4) Mack Knife
5) Pyramid head

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Grimoire, G-Self (Perfect, Assault, Tricky, Atmospheric), G-Lucifer, Kabakari, Recten, Jahannam, and far and away in front, Shanks, everything else is in a tie.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh yeah, the Recten! It's great, too.

Recten and Mack Knife, then, my OTP.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I really liked the Hecate when it first showed up for whatever reason, even though it basically did barely anything the rest of the show. The Recten owns though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Hecate beam chainsawed missiles and used those adorable missile bits. Both significant enough accomplishments in my book.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
The Gaeon owned. It was like an evil futuristic Hi-Nu Gundam.

The Dahack was a good enough apology for the Gaeon never getting to shine.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Moran, Recten/Recksnow, and Grimoire. I think a lot of the suits used the same greebly visual details and shapes, to the extent that they stopped looking that distinctive, but those three designs all work really well. I do think the Grimoire would look better with less clutter though. Other suits had really fun ideas to them like the Gaeon's big beam hands and the whole Elf/Mack Knife series was a cool take on transforming suits, but nothing really hit me as much as those three grunts did.

Not design-talk but the insane technology that the Venus Globe machines had was great too because it was a nice display of how far ahead of UC this setting actually is. It also works really well to reinforce the setting. The scale of destruction that stuff like the Perfect Pack and the Yggdrasil (which are at or beyond the level of the tech that ended the UC society) can effortlessly put out justifies both the widely accepted, strictly enforced pacifism that the world of G-Reco has at the start of the story, and also the willingness of all the factions in the last episode to go along with Aida and end the conflict after that battle rather than letting things go any further. It also does a good job of feeling like tech that could end the world if you used it in a wide-scale war.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I honestly wish there were about... 1/10th the amount of mobile suit designs in GReco. There are some neat ones, but it was nearly G Gundam levels of unique suits. It didn't make any sense from the stand point of these nations emerging from a technology ban. Especially since they literally were throwing poo poo together from blueprints with no idea how it worked.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DamnGlitch posted:

I honestly wish there were about... 1/10th the amount of mobile suit designs in GReco. There are some neat ones, but it was nearly G Gundam levels of unique suits. It didn't make any sense from the stand point of these nations emerging from a technology ban. Especially since they literally were throwing poo poo together from blueprints with no idea how it worked.

That's why it makes sense. They had no idea what was going to work, so they tried everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

That is exactly why it makes sense. Like it's even stated in the show. They were literally building everything they could to figure out what worked the best and then they started mass producing it. The exception was Venus Globe (who had a G-IT group dedicated to researching suits) and Towasanga who were mostly long-term MS and a few lovely prototypes.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've yet to see how that absolute mess that barely had any explanation, exposition, or resolution can be considered a good show. You even have one of the most interesting struggles (former class of people used as loving FOOD wanting to fight for their rights, honor, etc) come down to "oh well, never mind". None of the characters had any more depth than Tomino just visiting old tropes of his past shows just to throw on the screen. Vague ideas and fan service don't make a quality show.

Fight the good fight brother, this was a bad show. Not the worst Gundam since it did have some cool mech's but this was not good and was poorly put together. Sloppy awful storytelling.

It's not cool cause its different, it was unfocused for the entire run.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Fight the good fight brother

lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G-Reco had a lot of explanation and exposition. It just didn't linger on it. (Resolution is more up for debate.)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*wounded veteran with half the face torn off, the right arm missing below the elbow, and a prosthetic leg walks through the doorframe*

"They liked the cartoon show I didn't like.... but I sure showed them what for......"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
G-Reco is pretty much the same as E7 in my book; if you watch it all at once you'll probably be able to follow things much easier and have a better grasp of what's going on.

Unfortunately they're both weekly shows, so.

• Locked thread