Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So uh...what about those $50,000 in unpaid gambling debts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

This is adorable

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

It's weird how old Dilbert is. It was first published in 1989. I feel like all of the original humor and charm is long gone.

Gocomics is running classic Dilbert, so you can judge for yourself.

It took Adams a long time to find the strip's voice (before he found another, more profitable voice for it) so the older strips are still pretty hit or miss, but yeah. There was a whimsical, absurdist sensibility that eventually got scrubbed out and Dilbert was more of a Charlie Brown figure who collected :iceburn:s instead of dishing them out.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

e: on rereading of the MdJ, it's possible that the bunny slowly removed the toupee revealing the egg that he had hid there earlier

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Another day, another Attempted Murder Comix.

Pooch Café

And thus did Poncho drown the entire clientele of Pooch Café.

Ballard Street

I admit I have a pair of big pants.

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 7, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

RandomFerret posted:

Another day, another Attempted Murder Comix.

Pooch Café

The first panel was added after... Gilligan? ran the strip past his friend, the dumbest guy in the world.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Okay, I've read this like five times and I cannot understand what is up with the "snack machine" line in the second panel. Is he saying they should both be next to the snack machine? Does he want company as he gets a snack?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, I've read this like five times and I cannot understand what is up with the "snack machine" line in the second panel. Is he saying they should both be next to the snack machine? Does he want company as he gets a snack?
Only that people gather around places where there are food instead of standing around in the middle of a hall.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

What a wonderful and efficient command structure!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Spoilered for those who don't already know, but this is actually heading somewhere. Colonel Weeks is one of the few living men who has met the Unknown Commander face to face.

Skippy (February 7, 1928)

More tiny print that I'm absolutely hopeless with...

Peanuts (April 9, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

I'm beyond late today, so Out Our Way will be back with the second load.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

He's calling the guy fat

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

I love the artwork in this strip so much. Holy wow that Bull Greer close-up, perfect.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

So, not only are you allowing (forcing) him to live a lie, you're allowing him to profit from it too? Awesome.

The Easter Bunny can't allow himself be caught or identified because ????, but someone publicly claiming to be the Easter Bunny (for personal gain) faces no consequences whatsoever

e: and apparently like twenty people already know the Incredible Secret, but if twenty-two people find out, it's curtains for you chum!!

:3:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

HalfHazard posted:

He's calling the guy fat
Nah, he's saying that Gwen should come stand with him by the vending machine.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

That one looks like he's surprise sexing the tiger rather than taking a selfie :pervert::catstare:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Why is the tiger black?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

omg you can't just ask why someone is black

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
It's an African tiger.

The reddish tigers are Indian.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I'm sorry, why is the tiger african-american?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

[

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really get the fascination with this comic, Calvin just seems like an unlikable piece of poo poo a lot of the time.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

I always hear about these things here first.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bismuth posted:

I'm sorry, why is the tiger african-american?

It's got revitiligo, you jerk, and it would appreciate you not pointing it out.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really get the fascination with this comic, Calvin just seems like an unlikable piece of poo poo a lot of the time.

Hobbes is cool, which makes up for it to me.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Mehuyael posted:

Hobbes is cool, which makes up for it to me.

It's like Achewood. It's not often Laugh out loud funny, but once you know the characters, it is at least amusing.

frankly he just needs his rear end beat a few times and that'll be the end of a lot of his spoiled brat nonsense.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's like Achewood. It's not often Laugh out loud funny, but once you know the characters, it is at least amusing.

frankly he just needs his rear end beat a few times and that'll be the end of a lot of his spoiled brat nonsense.

I find your post problematic.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh Boy, let's have this discussion in every comic thread !!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Hel posted:

The later years are better, when it becomes more about pontificating the nature of man and his role in a cold, uncaring universe.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So here's a question.

Do you think Gilchrist plans the sightlines in these comics ahead of time, or does he draw out the comic, look at it, and think "geez, I hope it's clear that she's looking at the only other thing in the comic. I better draw a dashed line from her eyes to the thing just to be on the safe side."?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
The thing with Calvin is he is written as an intelligent (to an extent, he isn't the best academically), imaginative young kid. I can totally see why some people might be put off or not connect with him (not calling them dumb or unimaginative though), considering he is often rude and disrespectful to others. But then you see him on his own with Hobbes or getting beat up by Moe and it's easier to sympathize or at least empathize with his character.

I don't think we're meant to agree with or root for Calvin all the time, and Watterson wasn't afraid to show Calvin's actions having negative consequences (or be straight up put in his place by Hobbes). But I always got the sense that at his core he's a good person with a lot of potential once he started to apply himself.

(It also helps I grew up reading Calvin and Hobbes, so I'm fully aware of its rose tint)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The chupacabra and boogeyman are in cahoots? :eyepop:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

:thurman:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Out Our Way (December 15-16, 1926)

Pogo (April 6, 8-9, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Two (June 12-14, 1952)

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Sally Forth

The Amazing Condescending-Man

Juliet Jones

What, she can't fire him?

Elissimpark