Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Let's not get loving excited about killing people for revenge, tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Devor posted:

It's a shame that judge and jury will probably consider his being a police officer a mitigating factor away from the death penalty, rather than an aggravating factor.
This case will never see a jury.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vahakyla posted:

Let's not get loving excited about killing people for revenge, tia.

If there's one scenario where the death penalty is appropriate, it's when somebody vested with the responsibility of ensuring the safety of the public actively murders a member of that group.

bango skank fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 8, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Might as well start taking bets on the number of hours until some rear end in a top hat starts spreading around Walter Scott's permanent record dating back to Kindergarten.

Also how high the accused officer's "legal defense" GoFundMe will go.

Edit: If this wasn't filmed it absolutely would have been swept under the rug and nobody would have heard about it. The cop's story and planted evidence would have been open and shut. Which begs the question of how often this poo poo happens sans footage and is successfully covered up, because it obviously happens.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 8, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

bango skank posted:

If there's one scenario where the death penalty is appropriate, it's when somebody vested with the responsibility of ensuring the safety of the public actively murders a member of that group.

No. You can always find a perverse justification for anything. State-sponsored killing of this officer would offer exactly zero benefits to anyone.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Armani posted:

I am loving dying to see people defend this guy considering how loving blatant this was.

"well the guy on MSNBC said he might have reached for his tazer and the rules are if you go for a cop's gun he can shoot you" --my dad

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Ok yeah he shot that dude in the back and then planted the taser on him but

did you see how black he was

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Armani posted:

I am loving dying to see people defend this guy

Before the video:

"There was a scuffle, the suspect tried to pull the taser from the officer, he fired in fear for his life"

After the video:

"Attorney David Aylor, who released a statement on Slagers behalf earlier this week, said Tuesday that he wasnt representing the officer anymore.

It was not immediately clear whether Slager had hired a new lawyer. An attempt to contact Slager before his arrest was not succesful."

Oops!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

No. You can always find a perverse justification for anything. State-sponsored killing of this officer would offer exactly zero benefits to anyone.

Calling it a perverse justification is... eh. I don't agree with you. I don't support the death penalty in any case whatsoever, but this is one of the cases where I would be closest to saying it was okay.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are you guys loving kidding me, I don't think a police officer wearing a badge has been convicted of murder in the past twenty years or so, do you seriously believe that this guy is going to be the first? If you're lucky he'll get fired, but even that much isn't likely.

Vahakyla posted:

It would benefit like every black person that he might come into contact with in the future. On account of they probably don't wanna get shot.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GreyPowerVan posted:

Calling it a perverse justification is... eh. I don't agree with you. I don't support the death penalty in any case whatsoever, but this is one of the cases where I would be closest to saying it was okay.

You shouldn't. Inconsistency undercuts the whole thing. The thing about criminal justice reform is it's not an easy road because you need to apply the same standards to the people who are really bad as you do to folks who shouldn't even be there. You have to be able to support stopping the rape of the the guy who strangled 5 year olds as well as the guy who is there on a non-violent pot charge.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Manslaughter 10 years, released after 4 on good behavior and probation is probably best case scenario here. Murder charges are pretty much impossible on cops while they're on the job, historically. Only way I can see a murder charge conviction on a cop is if he plans and kills his wife while off-duty or something, and leaves a mountain of evidence.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

If you're lucky he'll get fired, but even that much isn't likely.
He's been arrested and charged with murder. Unless he has Johnny Cochrane's Ghost as a union rep he is deffo fired.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rad Russian posted:

Manslaughter 10 years, released after 4 on good behavior and probation is probably best case scenario here. Murder charges are pretty much impossible on cops while they're on the job, historically. Only way I can see a murder charge conviction on a cop is if he plans and kills his wife while off-duty or something, and leaves a mountain of evidence.

BART cop served like a year.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Slager's already been fired. They actually seem to be taking this one somewhat seriously.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Rad Russian posted:

That'd be enough.

It would still be a stark contrast to Wilson or the dude who strangled Gardner.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I will never get tired of a cop yelling "PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK" and then cuffing a guy who he just ventilated. That's 1 count of dying to avoid compliance!!!!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mavric posted:

I will never get tired of a cop yelling "PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK" and then cuffing a guy who he just ventilated. That's 1 count of dying to avoid compliance!!!!

He might've been alive since the other guys were still treating him and many departments mandate cuffing everybody. He could've partaken in the aid, though.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Slager's already been fired. They actually seem to be taking this one somewhat seriously.
South Carolina is surprisingly on the ball when it comes to bringing the hammer down on cops who light up black people for no reason.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

You shouldn't. Inconsistency undercuts the whole thing. The thing about criminal justice reform is it's not an easy road because you need to apply the same standards to the people who are really bad as you do to folks who shouldn't even be there. You have to be able to support stopping the rape of the the guy who strangled 5 year olds as well as the guy who is there on a non-violent pot charge.

Pretty much exactly.
Everyone will always find every case that is the most emotional to them to be the "most outrageous one", just like they can always justify abortion for themselves.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

South Carolina is surprisingly on the ball when it comes to bringing the hammer down on cops who light up black people for no reason.

Yeah my home state sucks so much rear end that I wonder if they get on the cops and sheriffs to counter-balance all the other poo poo.

We got just recently these in the past years:

-State Trooper Gubert, shot a dude reaching for licence. Didn't die. Fired, booked, waiting for trial.
-Charleston County Sheriff Cannon, slapped a dude in handcuffs. Convicted of third-degree assault and battery. Got diversion on condition of counseling like the usual state standard is for first timers. Hilariously booked into "Sheriff Al Cannon Detention Center".
-Berkeley CountySheriff H. Wayne DeWitt, arrested and booked into Al Cannons county jail. Resigned, State troopers charged him with evading and DUI. Awaiting trial.
-Orangeburg, A white police chief who fatally shot an unarmed black man in South Carolina in 2011 was charged with murder, and his lawyer accused prosecutors of taking advantage of national outrage toward police to get the indictment. It ended up in a Mistrial in 2014, but Solicitor General said he is preparing another set of charges and another trial in late-2015.

I am fairly confident in SLED, the South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division. At least compared to the other states.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 8, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

I did not say I supported it, just that I see where people who do support it are coming from and that I may change my mind in the future as I do more thinking and see more.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

Vahakyla posted:

He might've been alive since the other guys were still treating him and many departments mandate cuffing everybody. He could've partaken in the aid, though.

It still doesn't make it not funny. I'm sure departments mandate your don't kill a fleeing non-dangerous subject either, if only he followed that rule too.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah my home state sucks so much rear end that I wonder if they get on the cops and sheriffs to counter-balance all the other poo poo.

We got just recently these in the past years:

-State Trooper Gubert, shot a dude reaching for licence. Didn't die. Fired, booked, waiting for trial.
-Charleston County Sheriff Cannon, slapped a dude in handcuffs. Convicted of third-degree assault and battery. Got diversion on condition of counseling like the usual state standard is for first timers. Hilariously booked into "Sheriff Al Cannon Detention Center".
-Berkeley CountySheriff H. Wayne DeWitt, arrested and booked into Al Cannons county jail. Resigned, State troopers charged him with evading and DUI. Awaiting trial.
-Orangeburg, A white police chief who fatally shot an unarmed black man in South Carolina in 2011 was charged with murder, and his lawyer accused prosecutors of taking advantage of national outrage toward police to get the indictment. It ended up in a Mistrial in 2014, but Solicitor General said he is preparing another set of charges and another trial in late-2015.

I am fairly confident in SLED, the South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division. At least compared to the other states.

SLED went after the the Darlington County Fire Chief, Jim Stone, for small poo poo like using the county jail's chain gang to cut his grass. Same with the Saluda County Sheriff. They are surprisingly not that bad.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GreyPowerVan posted:

I did not say I supported it, just that I see where people who do support it are coming from and that I may change my mind in the future as I do more thinking and see more.

I see where folks are coming from and I don't believe the position against capital punishment is an easy one to hold if you see some really bad poo poo, and I say this as someone who has a reputation on here for getting real mad at this type of poo poo.

I'm just saying the rationale doesn't change because the guy was Real Bad.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

I see where folks are coming from and I don't believe the position against capital punishment is an easy one to hold if you see some really bad poo poo, and I say this as someone who has a reputation on here for getting real mad at this type of poo poo.

I'm just saying the rationale doesn't change because the guy was Real Bad.

Actually, it kind of does. You don't give someone who is in jail for a weed offense the death penalty, whereas someone who has murdered 30 people might get it -- it's the same kind of reasoning, in this case.

Like, a person can simultaneously hold both the belief that the Death Penalty is bad and does not help rehabilitate people and also that this man abused his power to murder and attempt to cover-up said murder and is unable to rehabilitate.

But like I said, I don't support the death penalty, even in this case.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

Actually, it kind of does. You don't give someone who is in jail for a weed offense the death penalty, whereas someone who has murdered 30 people might get it -- it's the same kind of reasoning, in this case.

Many people believe that drug charges warrant the death penalty.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GreyPowerVan posted:

Then why don't you support the death penalty?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

Then why don't you support the death penalty?

Because it doesn't bring anyone back from life and life in prison is just as effective at preventing harm. I was just saying that it's a really hosed up thing and that a first instinct is "wow execute this guy so he can't do it again".

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GreyPowerVan posted:

Because it doesn't bring anyone back from life and life in prison is just as effective at preventing harm. I was just saying that it's a really hosed up thing and that a first instinct is "wow execute this guy so he can't do it again".

I get that and I'm trying to tell you your feelings are not unusual, I'm saying that's what makes the stance hard and to stay firm on it.

One of the arguments against the death penalty is that's it's an irrevocable gut reaction and not a rational one. People have been executed for gut reactions and later exonerated posthumously.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

I get that and I'm trying to tell you your feelings are not unusual, I'm saying that's what makes the stance hard and to stay firm on it.

One of the arguments against the death penalty is that's it's an irrevocable gut reaction and not a rational one. People have been executed for gut reactions and later exonerated posthumously.

I know, and that's why I don't support it???

D&D: Arguing the same point at each other since _____

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GreyPowerVan posted:

I know, and that's why I don't support it???

D&D: Arguing the same point at each other since _____

I'm agreeing with you, yeah. This thread is fairly geared to people yelling at each other so sometimes an agreement ends up sounding like an argument :shobon:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

I'm agreeing with you, yeah. This thread is fairly geared to people yelling at each other so sometimes an agreement ends up sounding like an argument :shobon:

I understand, I have gotten kind of mad at people here before too, and then realized that we were both on the same side of the argument.

It was probably my fault for not explaining my reasoning during my first post :v:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
You guys are forgetting that the earth is round. So technically, he was charging directly at that cop. It's his own fault he got shot really.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Even if the murder charge doesn't stick and he doesn't even spend a day in jail after the trial, the fact that he won't be a police officer anymore and that SLED treated this with the appropriate seriousness is a positive thing overall.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

Even if the murder charge doesn't stick and he doesn't even spend a day in jail after the trial, the fact that he won't be a police officer anymore and that SLED treated this with the appropriate seriousness is a positive thing overall.

True and that in itself would be a drat good thing to set as the base level for the rest of the country.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Might as well start taking bets on the number of hours until some rear end in a top hat starts spreading around Walter Scott's permanent record dating back to Kindergarten.

https://twitter.com/ChuckCJohnson/status/585628686742851585

Irrelevance notwithstanding he didn't provide any links but why would he anyway when he's the kind of person who also says:
https://twitter.com/ChuckCJohnson/status/585596829707952129

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Of course.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Honestly I gotta give him credit. He could watch a video of a cop asking a black man kneel, then shooting him in the neck and still come up with something. It's a skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

He could watch a video of 30 klansmen beat and lynch a black man and he'd claim it was self defense

• Locked thread