Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

drrockso20 posted:

So I'm not the only one didn't like how TFS handled the Garlic Jr saga right?

Sorry, I think you are. The garlic jr saga was gutter trash.

The worst episodes of TFS are the princess snake thing and the fake names episode. They just straight ripped those guys off Aqua teen.

Guru still owns though. Nappa is alright too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Fake Namek episode is the biggest misstep in the whole Abridged series. No idea how that even came about, given how on-point KaiserNeko et al usually are with their script-writing.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

It's not exactly hard to figure this out anyway. It barely even matters because of how little they end up doing anyway. Does Tien knowing how to make extra arms or where Yamcha came from even have a purpose? They don't do poo poo.

Hearing that they actually had parts where they were new characters that had focus is a really weird thing to me. These guys were always in the background when I grew up, so seeing a mysterious new guy with an extra eye would fall completely flat with me, I think.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I kind of just assumed they were part of the Z team as a kid and didn't really think much further than that. They're not featured much anyway

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
A poster on Kanzenshuu found a video of a GT stageshow from the 90's featuring new forms for Freeza and Cell. Behold:

Also Dragon Ball Discross (basically DB Heroes with little plastic discs instead of cards) is getting it's own spin-off manga for some reason:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What's the gameplay of DB Heroes like anyway? The only videos I've seen of it are the cutscene ones.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

gently caress Garlic Jr., TFS handled it perfectly.
This.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Oxxidation posted:

The Fake Namek episode is the biggest misstep in the whole Abridged series. No idea how that even came about, given how on-point KaiserNeko et al usually are with their script-writing.

Isn't it based on a filler episode anyway? Why even include it? I'm pretty sure they relegate most filler to one-scene jokes (like "I bet Bulma is doing something frivolous!" Cut to her fighting a giant crab.)

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So what I'm understanding from the last page or so is Nappa was an unfunny meme machine, but it was still worth buying a £40 game just because he had some voice clips in it?

(not dropping that).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

sharktamer posted:

So what I'm understanding from the last page or so is Nappa was an unfunny meme machine, but it was still worth buying a £40 game just because he had some voice clips in it?

(not dropping that).

He was an unfunny funny meme machine. It was hilarious the first time through, it's hilarious to hear him in Xenoverse. It's more Taka's VOICE than the lines though. Takahata 101 has really good range, and he's amazing at the characters he gives life to. It's not very good material with someone who's really good at getting blood from a stone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sharktamer posted:

(not dropping that).

Nappa's lines are hit and miss. Its just that most of the other material is all miss.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I liked DBZA Nappa because he let Vegeta be funny without forcing Vegeta to crack jokes. but they were correct to retire the character.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

sharktamer posted:

(not dropping that).

No. Most of Nappa's line were hilarious, the problem was that the fans ran them completely into the ground in a very short time. TFS's writing has also evolved a lot since then, their humor now comes mostly from character interaction, so having a character who just spouts random one liners sticks out in retrospect. It's like watching the first few sets of your favorite stand-up comedian years later.

And Voice 08 in Xenoverse really only uses the voice, not the actual lines. Also, Xenoverse is a goof game even without it, it's just nice to see TFS get at least a little recognition.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Xibanya posted:

Isn't it based on a filler episode anyway? Why even include it? I'm pretty sure they relegate most filler to one-scene jokes (like "I bet Bulma is doing something frivolous!" Cut to her fighting a giant crab.)

I guess it's proof of how they evolved if nothing else - before they devoted a whole episode to an awful filler arc, then for the Garlic Jr. saga just skipped it entirely for something else.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Wait they did fake namek? huh somehow I either completely forgot or just started watching right at real namek

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Horrible Taste posted:

A poster on Kanzenshuu found a video of a GT stageshow from the 90's featuring new forms for Freeza and Cell. Behold:

That armor is beautiful.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How is the streaming service that Funimation has for Dragon Ball Z? I bought Dragon Ball Z Kai just now, but after I am done watching those I want to watch the Buu Saga since I never seen them. I think instead of buying the DVDs with their cropping I might just stream them from their site. I know it cost money to use the service, but what version of the show do they offer? Is it the uncut episodes in the right aspect ratio?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rirse posted:

How is the streaming service that Funimation has for Dragon Ball Z? I bought Dragon Ball Z Kai just now, but after I am done watching those I want to watch the Buu Saga since I never seen them. I think instead of buying the DVDs with their cropping I might just stream them from their site. I know it cost money to use the service, but what version of the show do they offer? Is it the uncut episodes in the right aspect ratio?

While this won't help in the short term, Kai episodes of the Buu saga are airing right now, and presumably will be collected and released on home media.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DBM Chat: Is the most recent page the first time that Mr. Satan has appeared in this whole comic?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ekusukariba posted:

Wait they did fake namek? huh somehow I either completely forgot or just started watching right at real namek

It's not really worth remembering except for the later, quick Fake New Namek gag in History of Trunks Abridged, it shamelessly rips off the Mooninites from ATHF which were already way too played out.

Early DBZA is such an oddity because so much of it was still rooted in that weird Abridged Series culture that they would later shatter, burn, and piss on the grave of.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's not really worth remembering except for the later, quick Fake New Namek gag in History of Trunks Abridged, it shamelessly rips off the Mooninites from ATHF which were already way too played out.

No they were those other guys.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Plutonians I think. If that's right I'm mad that I know that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Stairmaster posted:

No they were those other guys.

Oh right, the guys that were funny for even less a span of time. Guess it goes to show.

Rodyle posted:

The Plutonians I think. If that's right I'm mad that I know that.

I think you are. Let us be mad together.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That's memory I could use on more important things, like Dragonball lore.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Webbeh posted:

That armor is beautiful.

Freeza has embraced his inner 90s. All he needs is more pouches and an oversized gun.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Rodyle posted:

That's memory I could use on more important things, like Dragonball lore.

or a comprehensive memory of Dragon Ball GT.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Early DBZA is such an oddity because so much of it was still rooted in that weird Abridged Series culture that they would later shatter, burn, and piss on the grave of.

The thing is that I don't think that was intentional. It doesn't seem like they personally don't like that humor anymore, but more just that they don't write that way anymore. Does anyone else get that vibe?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Covok posted:

The thing is that I don't think that was intentional. It doesn't seem like they personally don't like that humor anymore, but more just that they don't write that way anymore. Does anyone else get that vibe?

Oh yeah. I mean, if they really hated it they wouldn't host Yugioh Abridged on their site. It's just that they refined their writing and editing so much that they just put everyone else to shame.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

DBZA killing traditional Abridged series outside hobbling old Yugioh is also responsible for Code MENT and company. Abridged series are a strange little Internet thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rodyle posted:

DBZA killing traditional Abridged series outside hobbling old Yugioh is also responsible for Code MENT and company. Abridged series are a strange little Internet thing.

I don't follow, exactly. How are they responsible for this "code MENT and company?"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also how does being really good mean they killed other abridged series? (I don't watch other abridged series so I have no idea what goes on there.)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Covok posted:

I don't follow, exactly. How are they responsible for this "code MENT and company?"

If you've ever heard TFS talk about a guy called Purple Eyes, that's the Code MENT creator. His style of doing things (manic stream of consciousness stuff) took over as what people tried (and nobody but he succeeded at) to do for YouTube fame instead of" traditional" abridging before low effort LPs.

Pureauthor posted:

Also how does being really good mean they killed other abridged series? (I don't watch other abridged series so I have no idea what goes on there.)
Essentially nothing these days :v:

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 8, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Covok posted:

Pureauthor posted:

Basically, what happened was LittleKuriboh made YGO Abridged, and he found a reliable formula of mocking the source material, pop culture references, and some monkeycheese stuff that people really liked a considerable number of years back. A ton of people loved it, and a billion anime fans decided to imitate it. This was as things were for some time.

Then, what we now know as TFS got together, kind of did the same thing for a while, and constantly refined the concept until they started producing an abridged series that was really, really different. They blew up way bigger than YGO Abridged ever did. Now no one wanted to follow the old example. It made other people want to try their own thing. Those that clung to the old style faltered because it was no longer the flavor of the week. Even LittleKuriboh retooled his stuff a bit. Hell, he had a whole arc dedicated to how TFS was dominating the entire scene.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 8, 2015

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I remember there being a joke that the reason they changed up their formula was that littlekuriboh stopped updating as much so they didn't have any jokes to copy

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Code MENT is awesome and so is pretty much weirdass series that PurpleEyesWTF puts out.

I say this unironically.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Code MENT is awesome and so is pretty much weirdass series that PurpleEyesWTF puts out.

I say this unironically.

Only like the first 3 and a half episodes of none piece were good. Though those 3 episodes are his best work.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was the Fake Namek episode an April Fools episode?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Only like the first 3 and a half episodes of none piece were good. Though those 3 episodes are his best work.

Nay, peak PurpleEyes is CM9.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

While this won't help in the short term, Kai episodes of the Buu saga are airing right now, and presumably will be collected and released on home media.

They are already playing the english dub? I looked on Adult Swim's website the other night and it listed it still in the Frieza Saga for Kai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They were supposed to be starting on that years ago, we heard about Buu Saga Kai being a thing initially from Krillin's Japanese VA saying the show would be direct to DVD, and then a while afterward Kyle Hebert said work was starting on the Buu saga. Then Toriko ended and DBZ Kai got its timeslot back, so presumably we're getting a staggered release so people don't just import our DVDs. DBZ Kai was pretty drat popular on Nicktoons, so it's not like it's not coming eventually.

• Locked thread