Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Good idea. I hadn't thought about waiting until the meat was done, and then seasoning to taste. I guess that's the nice thing about stews and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also, I've heard chili freezes well, confirm/deny? It would be nice if I could do up big batches of chili and baked beans, and just take out whatever the day before and toss it in the fridge.
I don't even bother planning ahead, I just microwave it while it's still frozen.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm wanting to make a big batch of chili to take with me to my new office job for lunches. It will probably also end up being dinner at times, so I'm trying to put together a recipe my fiancee can eat/will enjoy. She doesn't like food very spicy, and she's on an elimination diet so she can't put sour cream into the chili to take some of the kick out. Looking at the second post, I'm inclined to do meat, dried chilies in a blender, cumin, and a 75/25 beef broth/tomato paste mix. I'm just not sure what sort of ratios to go for. My crock pot is about 3/4 to 1 gallon. I feel comfortable eyeballing the meat, broth, and cumin, but I'm worried about making it too spicy with the chili powder. Does anyone have a suggestion for an amount that would have flavor, but not be very spicy for about 3/4 of a gallon of chili? I'd rather be on the safe side and then gradually increase it for further batches until I hit a point we're both happy with.

Also, I've heard chili freezes well, confirm/deny? It would be nice if I could do up big batches of chili and baked beans, and just take out whatever the day before and toss it in the fridge.

Chili freezes ok though I have gotten into canning now which I believe to be superior due to it further brekaing down the beef and tenderizing what needs it.

as far as chili powder, if you use the store-bought stuff you can use as much as you want with very little heat. It's incredibly mild stuff. If you make your own it is about the peppers you use. I would recommend guajillos and some ancho. They are both very mild and smokey and will give good flavor that is low on spice. If you are very worried about spice, try putting some honey or sugar in to cut the heat in there. My girlfriend does that and while I think it is somewhat barbaric I know people who have spice issues seem to enjoy it :shrug:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

On a separate note: I need to issue an official apology to the black bean sect of the chili community for my many doubts. Due to a purchasing error on a camping trip I was forced to use them instead of pintos.

It was... delicious :negative:

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Crazyeyes posted:

It was... delicious :negative:

Ha! I really enjoy black beans in my chili. Adds fiber, too.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Echeveria posted:

Ha! I really enjoy black beans in my chili. Adds fiber, too.

Do they have any more fiber than other beans?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Crazyeyes posted:

as far as chili powder, if you use the store-bought stuff you can use as much as you want with very little heat. It's incredibly mild stuff.

This is basically true and is why I also add cayenne. Also because I really like cayenne

Re: Beans, I'm partial to red kidney beans in stews because of red beans and rice, and nothing will ever change that.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

This is basically true and is why I also add cayenne. Also because I really like cayenne

Re: Beans, I'm partial to red kidney beans in stews because of red beans and rice, and nothing will ever change that.

Red kidney beans are excellent. I usually do some of those with pintos. Even used black-eyed peas but those were a touch odd. Too starchy, I suppose.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If you have someone who is really heat-phobic, you can make "chilli" without any chillies at all. Whatever recipe you like, just with zero chillies or chilli powder.

It will seem bland to you, but it will taste nice. Now I have kids, this is how I make chilli, then I add heat with homemade hot sauce.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Also, I'm pretty sure heat tends to mellow out quite a bit after a night in the refrigerator. At least, my last batch sure seemed to lose most of its heat the next day (and I didn't make it strong enough to kill off my taste buds on the first pass).

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure heat tends to mellow out quite a bit after a night in the refrigerator. At least, my last batch sure seemed to lose most of its heat the next day (and I didn't make it strong enough to kill off my taste buds on the first pass).

Weird, the stuff I make always seems spicier the next day

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

For me, it always gets spicier the second day, then sweeter the third, then mellow and buttery from there on. It's kinda weird, but that different flavor profile every day is one of the most exciting aspects of the meal for me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

For the actual dried chilies, should grocery stores have them, or am I going to have to go to one of the tienda/carnicieras around here?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

For the actual dried chilies, should grocery stores have them, or am I going to have to go to one of the tienda/carnicieras around here?

Walmart carries several varieties that may or may not be shoved in the "ethnic" aisle and in comically huge containers. I don't think Aldi does but the overpriced local for the sake of being local chain around here carries a wider variety in smaller packages

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I get mine from a plain old Sherm's, depending on the size of chile the bags contain enough for between three and a berjillion batches.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The krogers (qfc) here carry at at least a couple varieties. They at the least have ancho chilis both dried and canned with adobo sauce. I don't remember what else they had though

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Crazyeyes posted:

Do they have any more fiber than other beans?

Not really. Kidney and Black are the same, they have a bit more than pinto. That's just my reason for putting beans in my chili, for the purists. I NEED THE FIBER.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

My reason for beans is that it bulks out the meal more and adds a bit of a different texture to the dish. They can thicken the dish if you smash some against the side of the pot. If you undercook them a bit then they can provide that sort of al dente toothiness that noodles would give. They also give the chili a slightly creamier/richer texture if they're overcooked or added too early. Basically, they're just another tool for customizing the meal exactly how you want it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I just really love bean soup so why not put them in chili too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someday I will get my beef dal with chiles recipe perfected.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Alright, time to make some chili!

Okay, dried chiles. Good start.

Yeah, chocolate adds a nice flavor to chili.

Okay. Getting into disputed territory here, but beans are pretty awesome so throw them in.

Umm...

:stare: :stare: :stare:

:stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

It was delicious.

I REGRET NOTHING!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Looks like some tasty pasta sauce. Please relocate the post to the pasta sauce thread.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

withak posted:

Looks like some tasty pasta sauce. Please relocate the post to the pasta sauce thread.

It is in fact a Cincinnati style chili.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kittenmittons posted:

:thejoke:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

kittenmittons posted:

As I said, please limit pasta sauce discussion to the pasta sauce thread. TIA.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

withak posted:

As I said, please limit pasta sauce discussion to the pasta sauce thread. TIA.

Feel free to actually contribute to the thread anytime. :fuckoff:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Walmart carries several varieties that may or may not be shoved in the "ethnic" aisle and in comically huge containers. I don't think Aldi does but the overpriced local for the sake of being local chain around here carries a wider variety in smaller packages

Aldi has started to carry them, they're pretty expensive for what amounts to something like a 3 oz dried chili package. YMMV because every Aldi's has weird inventory selection and purchasing.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

kittenmittons posted:

I thought Cincinnati chili was just chili where you use ground beef.

Also once you start using spaghetti just call it a meat sauce already. Elbows are where I draw the line on pasta in chili :colbert:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

It's mainly the spices used (plus the fact that it's often served over pasta) that separates it from other types of chili. Chili with ground beef you could probably just call Midwestern chili.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 6, 2015

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I use ground beef and/or stew meat in my chili, but it defo doesn't have nutmeg in it.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I've found ground beef is good for making very thick chili, typically with a can of adobos and tomato paste. Add some cumin and some onion and boom you have really easy not watery chili.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I'm fully agreeing with this, and I still call it chili inside my head,

that's because my coworker makes something with bananas and calls it chili,
so I see no reason not to call my ground beef bean stew with tomatoes, spanish peppers and adobo a chili as well :agesilaus:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

kittenmittons posted:

To be more specific, it appears to be chili 5 way. Chili, spaghetti, onions, cheese, and beans. Common menu item at steak-n-shake. It probably ought to be just as welcome in a chili thread as a chili dog would be.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

adorai posted:

To be more specific, it appears to be chili 5 way. Chili, spaghetti, onions, cheese, and beans. Common menu item at steak-n-shake. It probably ought to be just as welcome in a chili thread as a chili dog would be.

So, quite welcome?

:can:: chili burgers, discuss

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

adorai posted:

It probably ought to be just as welcome in a chili thread as a chili dog would be.

Considering this thread had a civil discussion about beans very recently, without a holy war starting, I'm a little surprised anyone picked this nit at all.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I've found ground beef is good for making very thick chili, typically with a can of adobos and tomato paste. Add some cumin and some onion and boom you have really easy not watery chili.

I did something similar tonight. It was delicious and I even threw some cinnamon in there. Hnnnngh. Feel free to call it stew it was still awesome.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
just because I feel like we need to establish the ground rules again ever so often in this thread

Chili :
  • Beef. Not ground - cubed, preferably something with good beefy flavor. Preferably chargrilled or at least seared off.
  • Chilies. Preferably freshly toasted and ground, or made into a paste
  • Onions/garlic. Preferably caramelized, most likely diced.
  • Good stock. Beef, naturally - but chicken or whatever will do.
  • Salt + pepper.

That's it.

You can add anything else you want to chili, like canned chipotles, beer, chocolate, beans (if you're a loving idiot), whatever.

But that's Chili™℠®. Your bullshit IPA chocolate blackbean chili is "IPA chocolate blackbean" style chili, but chili proper is just meat, aromatics, chili, and stock.

your ground beef with pasta mixed in is whatever the gently caress you wanna call it, but it ain't no gonna be chili.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

mindphlux posted:

Chili :
  • Beef. Not ground - cubed, preferably something with good beefy flavor. Preferably chargrilled or at least seared off.
  • Salt + pepper.
  • Packet ranch dressing powder

FTFY. It's award winning.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

mindphlux posted:

just because I feel like we need to establish the ground rules again ever so often in this thread

Chili :
  • Salt + pepper.

That's it.

You can add anything else you want to chili, like canned chipotles, beer, chocolate, beans (if you're a loving idiot), whatever.

But that's Chili™℠®. Your bullshit IPA chocolate blackbean chili is "IPA chocolate blackbean" style chili, but chili proper is just meat, aromatics, chili, and stock.

your ground beef with pasta mixed in is whatever the gently caress you wanna call it, but it ain't no gonna be chili.

That's a particular variety (of chili, which is a category of dishes) that I call "boring chili."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

So, quite welcome?

:can:: chili burgers, discuss

The combination of http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/the-burger-lab-how-to-make-the-best-chili-for-a-burger-or-hot-dog.html and http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/cheese-sauce-for-cheese-fries-and-nachos.html is something absolutely loving magical (And extremely messy). But mainly magical. Holy poo poo so good.