Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dirk Funk posted:

Just got a wireless charging pad for my S6 for my desk at work and every time I put the phone on the pad I hear a high pitched beep which sounds like it's coming from the phone.

Is there any way to disable this sound (assuming it's coming from the phone)? I don't want that sound happening at work.if I can help it. I've never had one of these charging pads before so I'm new to this.

I grabbed a cheap charging base and it also beeped every time you set the phone on it. I just popped it open and removed the piece that made the sound. Took less than two minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Sounds to me like you have S-voice set to launch via a double press of the home key and something either in software or hardware is making your presses register double. If that's the case disabling the shortcut should fix it.
I can assure you that disabling that does not help. If you disable it, it will just launch Google now every time you try to use the home key. It is a bug in the AT&T/Samsung KitKat updates.

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009

XIII posted:

I grabbed a cheap charging base and it also beeped every time you set the phone on it. I just popped it open and removed the piece that made the sound. Took less than two minutes.

Oh, it's the base and not the phone?

I'll check that out?

Edit: I can't see anyway to open it. No screws or anything like that. Unless I can pry it open easily.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Okay so is it just me or is the drop down widget or whatever (the now playing thing in the notification bar) not updating when I hit next track on the S6?

It will play the next song but it doesn't update with the proper title.

App in question is Spotify.

E. Looks like a restart fixed it. Guess it was an issue with dual screening Spotify with something else?

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 8, 2015

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

My Nvidia Shield Tablet just started behaving a bit oddly charging. It ran low yesterday, down to 15%, so I left it charging overnight (I also like listening to podcasts going to sleep) and this morning unplugged it to get a low battery, 14% warning. I've turned it off and put it back on charge, now the charging light is blinking amber and green like it's on a full battery and it doesn't seem to be charging up. Tried a couple of different cables and sources. Am I in trouble?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dirk Funk posted:

Oh, it's the base and not the phone?

I'll check that out?

Edit: I can't see anyway to open it. No screws or anything like that. Unless I can pry it open easily.

What charger?

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009
This one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H9B7ALK

http://m.imgur.com/9y1zXj4,vPtKUGm,EIdKpRS,CyrtDj7

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Has anyone used GServiceFix? I'm getting a lot of battery drain from Google Play services, and this is the only supposed solution I found that doesn't require root.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Does anyone else in this thread have a G3 on T-Mobile? 5.0.1 was supposed to drop today, but from what I've seen, no one has received the ota.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Barring any hidden screws under the feet they put on it, it looks like it separates along the ridge that you can see above the micro USB port, that runs along it on all sides.. You'll need a small flat object to wedge in there and pop it open - like a small flat-head screwdriver. Typically they use clips that snap in, so you have to be careful, or else you'll snap them off, and it doesn't close back up as tightly.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I can assure you that disabling that does not help. If you disable it, it will just launch Google now every time you try to use the home key. It is a bug in the AT&T/Samsung KitKat updates.

Well in that case enabling the on screen home key might help while a fix comes along.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Remember when I said this?

LastInLine posted:

As for the apps and their permissions, come on. It's not difficult to find good apps and I'm sure everyone here (in a nerd phone thread for weirdos) can easily tell a good app from a bad one. I'm not saying grandmothers who can't tell spam from email couldn't do it (which is a legitimate complaint about Android) but is anyone here seriously unable to distinguish malware from useful apps on Google Play?

Okay, so this is what I'm talking about :

actionjackson posted:

Has anyone used GServiceFix? I'm getting a lot of battery drain from Google Play services, and this is the only supposed solution I found that doesn't require root.

Seriously, am I only one who looks at this app with this icon:

and doesn't know right away to just not install it?

Who in their right mind would look at this app and think it could possibly be a good idea to try? And to use it to gently caress with the background services running on your device? No one could be this crazy.

I cannot be the only person who can just look at this for half a second and not immediately know it's a bad idea. Tell me I'm not.

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009

Merv Burger posted:

Barring any hidden screws under the feet they put on it, it looks like it separates along the ridge that you can see above the micro USB port, that runs along it on all sides.. You'll need a small flat object to wedge in there and pop it open - like a small flat-head screwdriver. Typically they use clips that snap in, so you have to be careful, or else you'll snap them off, and it doesn't close back up as tightly.

No screws under the feet and it seems closed up pretty good. I tried to get a small flathead in there and no luck. I didn't want to try to hard just in case.

I'm going to bring it to work tomorrow and see how loud it sounds there. If it's still an issue than I'll figure something out like maybe sending it back and getting one that's known to open easily.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

I'm a power user and definitely need this app to heal my battery because my task killer isn't doing a good enough job.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Remember when I said this?

Okay, so this is what I'm talking about :

Who in their right mind would look at this app and think it could possibly be a good idea to try? And to use it to gently caress with the background services running on your device? No one could be this crazy.

I cannot be the only person who can just look at this for half a second and not immediately know it's a bad idea. Tell me I'm not.

Well, I wouldn't use it but not because it has a poo poo icon. Utilities like this are wrote by programmers fixing problems and programmers usually are poo poo at graphics and UI or don't care enough about some single use app to spend the time on design.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, that's not like mine, so I don't know. I was able to pry mine apart pretty easily with an old credit card.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
EDIT: Whoops thought this was the app thread. Redacted.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 8, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Well, I wouldn't use it but not because it has a poo poo icon. Utilities like this are wrote by programmers fixing problems and programmers usually are poo poo at graphics and UI or don't care enough about some single use app to spend the time on design.
It's not just the icon, it's the whole thing. Read this description:

quote:

"After using app. turn off gps and sync to save battery according to usage."

It will take couple of times to work depending on os version.

Its a workaround for the battery drain bug caused by Services / OS / System.
*Tested on limited devices only .

Services are the background tasks on devices that keeps all of the company's services in sync and updated. This covers basic environment, among other services which results in heavy battery drain of your device.

For all the thanx mailers - happy it worked for you !

Let's see, just right off hand we have Engrish and an inability to correctly use punctuation. Then on top of that we have sentences that mean absolutely nothing as in they are literal nonsense. At no point does it actually say what it does or even hint at what it does. The only thing the app appears to do is tell you to disable GPS and account sync and reboot.

Look at the pictures for god's sake. There is nothing, nothing that should instill any confidence in anyone who looked at that page.

I understand what you mean about a utility not needing great graphic assets but surely you can see the difference between an ugly app that does a simple thing that most people will never need and this... thing... that does... something on system services that 99% of people never have a problem with. There's limited need for a Terminal but you can imagine why someone might use one but there's no way there's an app out there to fix some weird problem you're having with the background services on your telephone. The problem was caused by apps the user installed, why would anyone assume installing more apps could possibly be the solution?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

MrNemo posted:

My Nvidia Shield Tablet just started behaving a bit oddly charging. It ran low yesterday, down to 15%, so I left it charging overnight (I also like listening to podcasts going to sleep) and this morning unplugged it to get a low battery, 14% warning. I've turned it off and put it back on charge, now the charging light is blinking amber and green like it's on a full battery and it doesn't seem to be charging up. Tried a couple of different cables and sources. Am I in trouble?

Just so no-one wastes time researching this for my dumb rear end, I contacted Nvidia support. They diagnosed a hardware failure and are replacing it. Pain in the rear end though as I'm going on holiday for a week in about 4 days and wasn't planning on bringing a laptop as well as dive gear in carry-on.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

Are we going to be able to get green S6's that work on AT&T at all? I mean, I'm pretty sure AT&T won't be selling it, but will we be able to buy one outright from somewhere?

I can't believe I'm considering a phone with TouchWiz on it.

I don't see why not, many reviewers get their phones early from overseas sources and they work fine on GSM networks here. Just remember the green color is only for the Edge variant. I ended up returning the N6 (big with no special features taking advantage of the extra size, middling battery life and so-so camera) and preordering an Edge instead, I'll post impressions at some point.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Moto X vs. Nexus 6 - what is the consensus?

I just want a decent camera, speakers loud enough to hear Netflix, and decent call quality. Battery isn't really an issue since I'm always around power, but signal can be tough since I'm on tmo.

I'm currently using an m7 with arhd, which I liked and felt no need to upgrade until I got hit with the "can't make calls" bug. I'm tired of loving around with workarounds and custom firmware and poo poo in general. I just want something that works.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443770403"]

GopherFlats posted:

Android has allowed for apps to be stored to expandable memory since 2.2, so you should be good to go.
But they run like poo poo and no one should do it.
Any advice on what I should direct to the card? Spotify songs & movies I guess if I can - can I get photos to store on the thing? Still pissed that they decided not to offer the 32gb version in UK...

Also, does anyone have any experience with the 15 amp HTC charger? Have they even rolled out Quick Charge 2.0 for the m8 yet? For some reason it seems really hard to find any info via google on this.

e: finally picked up my m8 today, every happy... except I got the silver one because it reminded me of my beloved m7, but now I'm kicking myself because the new brushed metal grey design has actually massively grown on me. Oh welp, I'll just have to go abroad and lose the thing somehow so I can claim another :3:

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 8, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Out of curiosity I pulled the app down (I sure as poo poo didn't run it) and put it through apktool. The author had run most of it through proguard, it looks like, but it's so simple the obfuscation didn't really mean anything.

As best as I can tell, it just gets your location a few times (thankfully doesn't send it anywhere) and vibrates the motor. Oh, yeah, and it shows a bunch of Admob ads, which seems to be the primary purpose of the app. Combined with the cargo culty XDA type stuff like "plug in your phone and have it at 100%" to make it sound like it's actually doing Something Important. Any perceived battery life improvement is from turning off your GPS and all your sync adapters afterwards for good "as prescribed," crippling your phone.

Thermopyle posted:

Well, I wouldn't use it but not because it has a poo poo icon. Utilities Adware like this are wrote by programmers shysters fixing causing problems and programmers users usually are poo poo at graphics critical thinking and UI or don't care enough about some single use app to spend the time on design.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Erdricks posted:

Moto X vs. Nexus 6 - what is the consensus?

I just want a decent camera, speakers loud enough to hear Netflix, and decent call quality. Battery isn't really an issue since I'm always around power, but signal can be tough since I'm on tmo.

I'm currently using an m7 with arhd, which I liked and felt no need to upgrade until I got hit with the "can't make calls" bug. I'm tired of loving around with workarounds and custom firmware and poo poo in general. I just want something that works.

Unless you really hate the size of the Nexus 6 it sounds like the 6 will be your better bet. The Moto X has a completely average camera at best and it only has one front-facing speaker. It's a good speaker but the 6 has stereo front speakers so that'll obviously sound better.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

comper posted:

I don't see why not, many reviewers get their phones early from overseas sources and they work fine on GSM networks here. Just remember the green color is only for the Edge variant. I ended up returning the N6 (big with no special features taking advantage of the extra size, middling battery life and so-so camera) and preordering an Edge instead, I'll post impressions at some point.

International GSM versions rarely if ever work on domestic 4G/LTE GSM networks here in the US. More specifically, they rarely support the LTE bands AT&T and T-Mobile use here. Bigger manufactures like Samsung have TONS of different models supporting a different set of GSM bands per. I've read that the green version is international only so that would definitely NOT work on domestic LTE. Someone in either this thread or the recommend a plan thread shared this web site: http://www.willmyphonework.net/, there are 10-13 different models of S6 and around 10-11 of the Edge so if you buy international, check your coverage first.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

Out of curiosity I pulled the app down (I sure as poo poo didn't run it) and put it through apktool. The author had run most of it through proguard, it looks like, but it's so simple the obfuscation didn't really mean anything.

As best as I can tell, it just gets your location a few times (thankfully doesn't send it anywhere) and vibrates the motor. Oh, yeah, and it shows a bunch of Admob ads, which seems to be the primary purpose of the app. Combined with the cargo culty XDA type stuff like "plug in your phone and have it at 100%" to make it sound like it's actually doing Something Important. Any perceived battery life improvement is from turning off your GPS and all your sync adapters afterwards for good "as prescribed," crippling your phone.

lol good work

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

I was too lazy to do it, glad someone did, results were even better (worse) than I expected.

Well at least LIL knows that his icon-based app-rating system works :) .

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Captain Yossarian posted:

International GSM versions rarely if ever work on domestic 4G/LTE GSM networks here in the US. More specifically, they rarely support the LTE bands AT&T and T-Mobile use here. Bigger manufactures like Samsung have TONS of different models supporting a different set of GSM bands per. I've read that the green version is international only so that would definitely NOT work on domestic LTE. Someone in either this thread or the recommend a plan thread shared this web site: http://www.willmyphonework.net/, there are 10-13 different models of S6 and around 10-11 of the Edge so if you buy international, check your coverage first.

Fair enough. I've just seen a lot of reviews of the S5/Note 4 where they get the international Exynos versions before/after release and they just pop in their T-Mobile/ATT SIM cards and they work just fine. Same with that Xiaomi Note and the G3 that was released earlier in Korea than the US. Maybe it is different with the S6/Edge but we will see.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
LTE typically works fine on those if you make sure you have all the bands your carrier uses: 2,4 and optionally 12 for T-Mobile, for example. It's regular 3G/4G that can be painful, though that's less of an issue for T-Mo as time goes on--as I understand it they're on track for full LTE coverage over their 3G area by the end of this year.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I can almost tell which place I'm at based on the steepness of the "idle" power draw (despite full bars) from the Play Services. For Google's reputation of hiring only elite software engineers, this being a persistent issue for God knows how many releases is pretty disappointing.

--edit: toned down.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 8, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I can almost tell which place I'm at based on the steepness of the "idle" power draw (despite full bars) from the Play Services. For Google's reputation of hiring only elite software engineers, this being a persistent issue for God knows how many releases is pretty disappointing.

--edit: toned down.

This should help fix your problems. Great reviews, >4 stars average rating.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Well I gave it a try last night so I'll see how the battery usage is today now. It is a legitimate issue which there are some utilities for but all require rooting. Those people came up with solutions but they all require rooting.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Require More Fire posted:

Unless you really hate the size of the Nexus 6 it sounds like the 6 will be your better bet. The Moto X has a completely average camera at best and it only has one front-facing speaker. It's a good speaker but the 6 has stereo front speakers so that'll obviously sound better.

Although I really hated touch wiz in the past, how does the galaxy s 6 stand up?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

RVProfootballer posted:

This should help fix your problems. Great reviews, >4 stars average rating.
Looking at the description and screenshots, the only thing going through my mind is "Hell no!"

Also, I saw talk about it here on the same page in this thread.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Looking at the description and screenshots, the only thing going through my mind is "Hell no!"

Also, I saw talk about it here on the same page in this thread.

:thejoke:

actionjackson posted:

Well I gave it a try last night so I'll see how the battery usage is today now. It is a legitimate issue which there are some utilities for but all require rooting. Those people came up with solutions but they all require rooting.

Go play a round of Angry Birds, it'll have the same effect on Play Services as that app.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Did you read the post you quoted? Like, at all?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Did you read the post you quoted? Like, at all?

Yeah I already had installed it. The initial replies were just "look at the stupid icon." Anyway it may be worthless but I wanted to see for myself.

There wasn't any alternative suggestions given anyway. Just let it use too much battery life?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 8, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

but surely you can see the difference between an ugly app that does a simple thing that most people will never need and this... thing...

Yes I can, that's why I said I wouldn't use it.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Yeah I already had installed it. The initial replies were just "look at the stupid icon." Anyway it may be worthless but I wanted to see for myself.

There wasn't any alternative suggestions given anyway. Just let it use too much battery life?

I would rather have my phone use too much battery life than install something that it's only purpose is to serve me advertising and tell me to do something that cripples the functionality of my phone (which you don't need the application to do in the first place!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Merv Burger posted:

I would rather have my phone use too much battery life than install something that it's only purpose is to serve me advertising and tell me to do something that cripples the functionality of my phone (which you don't need the application to do in the first place!)

Yeah I see what you mean. I didn't do that other stuff :-P