Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bel Shazar posted:

Oh, I'm not suggesting they prefer honest criticism. I am suggesting they were too ignorant to realize they were being criticized.

I don't think they're quite stupid enough to not understand "we need to stop being the stupid party."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

I don't think they're quite stupid enough to not understand "we need to stop being the stupid party."

I'm reading the numbers a bit differently. They're still more likely to approve of him than not. I can quite easily picture the thought "He was talking about those OTHER stupid Republicans"

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2014/PPP_Release_LA_9301205.pdf

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I never liked that plan anyhow. Cutting off Houston from the rest of Texas is dum. An additional branch connecting Houston to the main Texas line at ~Waco is the way to go.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Look on the bright side, when we revisit this plan in 20 years the Florida line can pretty much be bypassed as it'll require submarines. :3: The cost savings are enormous!

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Why do republicans have terrible graphic design?

Also this

Why is Ted Cruz using a tear to represent his campaign

This is from a few pages back, but there is an even better match:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Your monthly reminder that the same money spent on commuter rail at moderate speeds (65-100 mph like most commuter rail in the northeast) would be way better for the environment and way more useful for anyone who isn't rich.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Nonsense posted:

Jindal stands a chance for five minutes because he's effectively ending higher education in Louisiana.

I must have missed this what's he up to now?

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

way more useful for anyone who isn't rich.

Here's the problem with yer sales pitch.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Hollismason posted:

I must have missed this what's he up to now?

He's announced $300 million in cuts to the higher Ed budgets. This is compounded by the fact that they used oil revenues as a way to cover costs there, which with the price of oil down a lot over the last few months has further cratered the budgets of the States universities. A lot of the smaller schools are going to lose their athletics programs and shutter entire Academic departments at schools.

He can't raise taxes though, that might hurt him for his absolutely laughable campaign for president that he may or may not be thinking about.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Your monthly reminder that the same money spent on commuter rail at moderate speeds (65-100 mph like most commuter rail in the northeast) would be way better for the environment and way more useful for anyone who isn't rich.

Yeah but Trump'll never finance that. You gotta think #1.

Come ride Trump Rails, the hugest fastest most luxurious train ride on the entire planet, forget the mile-high club this train has so many cars you can join the mile-long club while hurtling across the ground so fast that we have to start braking at the halfway point just to stop in time for your destination on the other side of the country.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Logikv9 posted:

I want the echo chamber to be more airtight than its ever been. I want Fox News/Alex Jones/Grudge Report turned on in every campaign office.

Too many of the joke candidates/serious-but-lets-face-it-lol candidates with the exception of JEB! are locked in a room full of yes men. They are running what they really believe is a serious campaign, and it will get more serious (and thus more hilarious to everyone else) the more positive feedback they get.

The problem is that none of them have a loving chance of actually winning the nomination, because the establishment has a way of shutting the whole thing down. But the longer they last, the more debates they run, and the more serious they seem, they'll drag down JEB! and any other possible candidates. After all, we will be treated to excellent photos of Jeb, Cruz, Walker, Paul, and the rest of the clown express on stage at the debate. And Jeb will look like he's an adult talking to a bunch of children to an audience of children and it will be glorious.

The GOP doing last minute changes to deny Ron Paul the right to speak at the convention in 2012 was loving amazing and I really hope the GOP somehow tops it. The highlight was watching people cry on TV about how bullshit it was that the GOP did this so that Ron Paul wouldn't upstage Mitt (not hard to do) all while being able to sit and watch knowing full well that in November they all likely pulled the lever for Romney because he wasn't Obama.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I tweeted that everyone in New Hampshire should go get candy from Vermin Supreme tomorrow and he responded with a link to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoK8DaJRDaM with #candy #standwithrand

He's an American hero.

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?

Internet Webguy posted:

I'm legit considering knocking out a quick design for Aqua Buddhists for Rand.

Please do this.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Shinto's for Cruz

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

echronorian posted:

Shinto's for Cruz

Canucks for Cruz

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Canucks for Cruz

It's pronounced "krouz," you poutine-guzzling, back-bacony swine! :argh:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Chronic Masturbators for Rand

Fedora Doffers for Rand

Bronies for Rand

Elven High Priestesses for Rand

Killer Klowns From Outer Space for Rand

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Riding the train is awesome, the problem here has been completely misidentified. Trains dont necessarily need to get to their destination faster, they just need to get there more comfortably and cheaper. Recent trends have been about buckling down on train travel since the primary management in the industry are gigantic fuckwits who think their trains are ground airplanes so ripping out luxuries and adding more seats is the only way to fix their hemorrhaging business model. If your seats are cheaper and people can go get ripped in your bar car and then pass out on a leather couch or play some pinball next to a jukebox while making their trip for cheaper than a flight would be you will book every single train. People already have a soft spot for the idea of taking a train trip, but the price and dinginess of the current state of the industry makes dealing with an airplane a no brainer.

Granted, all this stops mattering as soon as automated cars come into their own and you can just punch a button on your cellphone and 10 minutes later a posh RV with a fully stocked minibar, wifi and mini jacuzzi shows up at your door ready to drive your drunk rear end anywhere in the continental US only ever stopping for battery swaps.

comes along bort posted:

Chronic Masturbators for Rand

Fedora Doffers for Rand

Bronies for Rand

redundant

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

is this anime about american politics as amusingly give-no-fucks w/r/t accuracy as that one anime about american football

if so it is probably cool

From way back, but Google "The Legend of Koizumi" for some entertaining East Asian political satire; it's basically an anime pastiche that has that former Japanese Prime Minister Juichiro Koizumi settling international disputes at the mahjong table. I loathe anime but it's pretty pro-watch (also not very long).

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Well, since this seems to be the thread to ask, as someone who believes anime to be something reserved for the dregs of humanity, but who has also admittedly enjoyed Akira as a kid and begrudgingly accepted Cowboy Bebop out of a love for sci-fi and jazz. what is a legit good anime?

I figure this should be easier than asking "Who is the best Republican candidate for president" which is none, or "Who is the best Democratic candidate for president" which is also none but seriously loving vote Dem because while they're poo poo they're also less likely to bring about the apocalypse.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Wheeee posted:

Well, since this seems to be the thread to ask

No. We have a whole sub-forum for this.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
e: not the place

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReidRansom posted:

I never liked that plan anyhow. Cutting off Houston from the rest of Texas is dum. An additional branch connecting Houston to the main Texas line at ~Waco is the way to go.

Having HSR run the length of !-10 would be pretty amazing. I could visit California!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Slaan posted:

Well that's a particularly deep brand of paranoia to think that the NSA is actively looking at your webcam. Sure they'll steal your dick pics and laugh at your goony micropenis but they aren't going to actively search for that stuff unless you are a threat.

If somebody is getting your webcam data, the NSA is collecting it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:eyepop: Three Super PACs supporting Ted Cruz say they'll have $31m by the end of the week. They're named “Keep the Promise,” “Keep the Promise II,” and “Keep the Promise III.” For reference, Karl Rove's Crossroads network raised $32.6m in all of 2011. :kheldragar:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Joementum posted:

:eyepop: Three Super PACs supporting Ted Cruz say they'll have $31m by the end of the week. They're named “Keep the Promise,” “Keep the Promise II,” and “Keep the Promise III.” For reference, Karl Rove's Crossroads network raised $32.6m in all of 2011. :kheldragar:

and the marginalization of everyday normal millionaires continues, oh when will the rich but not mega rich have a voice again, truly the end of days.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

If there's one candidate the super wealthy would find completely pliable and able to sell their policies under the guise of firebrand rhetoric, without thought or concern for other politicians or people, it'd be Cruz.

Hopefully some of that money will go to hiring a better PR team to find creative names for things.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Joementum posted:

So? Cruz still isn't going to make the nomination.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
What is the point of having 3 versions of the same Super PAC? Does he have 3 rich fuckers who all want to run a totally non-coordinated funding arm that all picked the same name and refused to budge?

Also Ted Cruz as the fundraising leader of the GOP is just amazing. Just burn it all to the ground and salt the earth Ted.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trying to get garbage candidates elected is the one way trickle down economics actually works.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

So? Cruz still isn't going to make the nomination.

He is going to be a glorious spoiler.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gyges posted:

What is the point of having 3 versions of the same Super PAC? Does he have 3 rich fuckers who all want to run a totally non-coordinated funding arm that all picked the same name and refused to budge?

Multiple organizations means redundancies which means you can pay lots more people a lot of money.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If Cruz raises an amazingly stupid amount of money, is he deluded enough to run 3rd Party when he loses the Republican nomination?

computer parts posted:

Multiple organizations means redundancies which means you can pay lots more people a lot of money.

Well yeah, but you'd think they'd put slightly more effort than just adding numbers after the same name.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Gyges posted:

If Cruz raises an amazingly stupid amount of money, is he deluded enough to run 3rd Party when he loses the Republican nomination?

Oh god I hope so :unsmigghh:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SedanChair posted:

He is going to be a glorious spoiler.

He loving better be, thats enough cash for some real grade A mudslinging, you can just ask all sorts of questions about the foregone establichment nominations then. He has the ability to drag this whole drat thing into loony right territory and anyone who doesent follow is going to get loving annihilated in the primaries. This is gonna produce some amazing soundbites.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

I don't think he will. If he somehow upended the rest of the field and captured the GOP nomination, the party machine would be required to back him because the alternative is most likely *gasp* Hillary.

If he is stupid enough to try and mount some sort of third-party bid, however, they will BURY him in attack ads, and not even Ted Cruz would survive the hundreds of millions of dollars that would be used to destroy him if he ever ran for public office again.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Why are they split up like that? Getting around donation limits?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Badger of Basra posted:

Why are they split up like that? Getting around donation limits?

There are no limits for Super PACs. It's probably a Canadian thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Badger of Basra posted:

Why are they split up like that?

:iiam: “Every PAC in the Keep the Promise network will fully comply with all disclosure and recordkeeping obligations set forth in federal law. The use of multiple PACS, however, will allow Keep the Promise to uniquely and flexibly tailor its activities in support of Senator Cruz and afford donors greater control over PAC operations.”

I assume that's PAC-ese for "I'm going to pay myself multiple salaries" or some other such graft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
The Keep the Promise network sounds like social media for evangelical teenagers.

• Locked thread