Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bob was more exciting when treasure cruise was legal, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You have lost me but thank you for your help.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

I just have shock lands so I see myself losing a lot of life before I start getting things going.

edit: they stack right?

The life is generally worth less than the cards. Calculate the average CMC of your deck, don't forget to include lands as 0, not just spells. That's how mcuh damage bob is going to do to you and how many turns on average, you're going to be able to draw cards from old Bob before you die. When the curve of your deck tops out at 3, its going to crazy low. Variance is a thing and sometimes you'll flip 3cmc, 3cmc, and be dead but there's just as many times you're going to flip land, draw gas, flip land, draw gas, and just bury your opponent in card advantage.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 8, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dr. Stab posted:

LSV has played Bob with Emrakul in cube decks before, and there is still always Tasigur or Tombstalker to live on the edge with.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/14689_Feature-Article---8212--Fabiano-at-U-S--Nationals.html

Decklist in article posted:

4 Dark Confidant
4 Greater Gargadon
:getin:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Herr Tog posted:

Can someone tell me how Dark confidant is supposed to be used as I have never played with or against him.

If your deck can't win quickly when you're drawing an unanswered 2 cards a turn, you probably built your deck wrong.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Low CMC decks can come out of the gates fast and consistently, but since each of your cards is lower impact than each of their cards you'll quickly begin to fall behind. Being able to draw 2 cards to their 1 mitigates this a lot, and Bob does this while also having a not entirely irrelevant body for a very low mana cost.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 8, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

rabidsquid posted:

LSV has played Bob with Emrakul in cube decks before, and there is still always Tasigur or Tombstalker to live on the edge with.

Bob + Blightsteel Colossus is also a pretty real thing in Vintage.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

If your deck can't win quickly when you're drawing an unanswered 2 cards a turn, you probably built your deck wrong.

Yea I may want to try this out on xmage

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Okay, let's talk Dark Confidant. Dark Confidant doesn't go in every deck. Getting Emrakul is loving bad. However, if you have a bunch of little dudes, then it's great.

Normally, you could only draw one card per turn. If you're an aggressive black deck, that means you only get one of this dude at most per turn. Dark Confidant though means that you can effectively draw a second card. You get this guy in addition to your other dude and only at 1 life lost. However, you can now play both of them and next turn start swinging for 4 damage instead of just 2 damage.

That's the gist of Dark Confidant, more now, who cares about later. So long as you're drawing more cards, you're more likely to draw what you need at the time and to push towards the end. Even then, there's other things to consider like the fact that if he draws you a land, you lose zero life, so he's not necessarily as painful as you might expect.

But yes: gently caress life, get cards.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Bob was made for cube durdles

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

But yes: gently caress life, get cards.

I wish this was the red way of thinking.

Instead, it's "gently caress cards, get cards. And then discard them randomly. Then take a shot in the foot."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Burn your candle at both ends

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh and Dark Confidant also punches in addition to drawing cards, so yay.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

IIRC, bob is on average less damage than phyrexian arena in a lot of decks, and even in decks where it's more, it's not a lot more.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Instead, it's "gently caress cards, get cards. And then discard them randomly. Then take a shot in the foot."
If killing your opponent while they have 4 cards in-hand isn't card advantage then I don't know what is

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

Welcome to modern.
t1 fetch for shock to play thoughtseize. t2 fetch for shock to play bob.

You forgot the most important part which is to say "I'm Conley Woods" (Then lose the game cause you lava axed yourself T1)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Getting 2 Thunderbreak Regents out is such a beating. The only time I lost with that specific pair up was when some dude manifested a Whisperwood with his Whisperwood and then manifested a Deathmist to bring back another Deathmist. That was a bad time.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
You guys remember that the whole design of Tarkir block was two have two different draft environments with the "pivot" small set being drafted differently in each environment? How successful do you think it was?

In general I'm not seeing my FRF card evaluation changing that much. Jeskai Sage and Sultai Emissary obviously get better with exploit, but they were already great. All the prowess cards stay the same, Sabretooth and Elite Scaleguard are still the best uncommons, and Citadel Siege is still basically unbeatable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lancelot posted:

You guys remember that the whole design of Tarkir block was two have two different draft environments with the "pivot" small set being drafted differently in each environment? How successful do you think it was?

In general I'm not seeing my FRF card evaluation changing that much. Jeskai Sage and Sultai Emissary obviously get better with exploit, but they were already great. All the prowess cards stay the same, Sabretooth and Elite Scaleguard are still the best uncommons, and Citadel Siege is still basically unbeatable.

Its drafted differently simply because it went from first to last (which does make a big difference). The power of the cards doesn't really change but it does change where you value certain cards.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lancelot posted:

Monastery mentor dropped like a rock.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

Whoa how did a post from 1996 get here

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Mentor would be an unbelievable beating if you were in UW, which so far I've found to be a fairly strong deck type. Ojutai's Summons with Mentor on the Board goes from good to "broken." Mentor is just generically good in most other limited decks as a reasonable 2/2 with Prowess that poops more monks when you use a spell. You really only need to cast a single spell get good value from Mentor.

Playing my Temur Dragons deck, and man have I noticed how overrated Display of Dominance is, even out of the board. Its just always under performing in that deck and basically every time I have it, I wish it was another Stubborn Denial.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 8, 2015

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

Its drafted differently simply because it went from first to last (which does make a big difference). The power of the cards doesn't really change but it does change where you value certain cards.
Yeah, but isn't that terrible in terms of selling the block theme? I would probably get passed third-pick Brutal Hordechiefs and Soulfire Grand Masters in FKK if it had been drafted KKF. If the point of the two drafting environments was that Fate was drafted differently because of the environment of the big sets, rather than the position it holds in the pack order, then maybe Wizards hasn't achieved what it set out to do.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What are you talking about, mentor is insane with rebound (as is Shu Yun)

The enemy-coloured commons obviously got a lot worse. Gurmag Angler is a bit better when it doesn't have other delve cards to compete with. Torrent Elemental went from almost unbeatable to solid.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The point of FRF was not for it to be drafted that differently itself, but that it could tie into the mechanics and archetypes of both of the surrounding large sets without feeling out of place.

The overall drafts are supposed to feel different, not FRF specifically.

Given how lovely many small sets are, I'd say FRF was overall a success. Te main weakness is probably the top-heaviness of the rares, but even that wasn't super terrible.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 8, 2015

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
FRF is garbage value-wise but it's a really fun draft set, more than khans was. The morphs feel more interesting and interactive than the ones in khans did.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fingers McLongDong posted:

FRF is garbage value-wise but it's a really fun draft set, more than khans was. The morphs feel more interesting and interactive than the ones in khans did.

Do you mean DTK?

So far I'm not feeling it. The morphs all feel way less good than the ones in Khans. And I can't put my finger on why yet, but some of the archetypes just don't feel nearly as fun to draft. I was a huge fan of the triple-Khans draft format and Dragons feels really disappointing in comparison. All the green commons in this set are super boring. The white ones aren't much better. I like the UB exploit / flyers deck, but nothing else actually feels that fun. Maybe it's deeper than I'm giving it credit for and I just need to draft it some more, but I'm not a big fan of the format so far.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

FRF was kindof obnoxious in FKK limited, but I think it had a pretty big and positive impact on standard for a small set (other than Mastery of the Unseen).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Does anyone else listen to Mark Rosewater's podcast? In one this week's podcasts, he has a pretty interesting story.

The pwnage mechanic of Ken Nagle's that everyone makes fun of here was originally Richard Garfield's. An idea similar to it was also going to be used in Avacyn Restored as a mechanic called "Forbidden" until Tabak nixed it

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GoutPatrol posted:

Does anyone else listen to Mark Rosewater's podcast? In one this week's podcasts, he has a pretty interesting story.

The pwnage mechanic of Ken Nagle's that everyone makes fun of here was originally Richard Garfield's. An idea similar to it was also going to be used in Avacyn Restored as a mechanic called "Forbidden" until Tabak nixed it

I can believe it being a Garfield mechanic because it's the sort of thing I could have seen them printing in the old pre-block days when they were already printing mechanics like Ante. Doesn't make Nagle any less retarded for trying to print it eighteen years later (in multiple blocks apparently!) when the game had long since moved on.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

Even more proof that Matt Tabak is a great man. Exhibit 2: https://vine.co/v/MAUOUiBrBMT

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Getting 2 Thunderbreak Regents out is such a beating. The only time I lost with that specific pair up was when some dude manifested a Whisperwood with his Whisperwood and then manifested a Deathmist to bring back another Deathmist. That was a bad time.

3x SB copies of Windstorm in my current Gw Devotion list.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
nagle's only real odious quality is hating dredge

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

Do you mean DTK?

So far I'm not feeling it. The morphs all feel way less good than the ones in Khans. And I can't put my finger on why yet, but some of the archetypes just don't feel nearly as fun to draft. I was a huge fan of the triple-Khans draft format and Dragons feels really disappointing in comparison. All the green commons in this set are super boring. The white ones aren't much better. I like the UB exploit / flyers deck, but nothing else actually feels that fun. Maybe it's deeper than I'm giving it credit for and I just need to draft it some more, but I'm not a big fan of the format so far.

I did mean DTK, oops. Just feels like dtk has better removal and combat tricks and more creatures with interactive effects. It's still a bit bomb heavy but I've had good luck with aggro decks when I can't find a good bomb. I also like all the "counters matter" stuff. G/w counters has been fun to draft.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

Wasn't it that he came to some event and was spellslinging with a deck of weird new cards he'd made? That's a bit different from actually trying to put the mechanic in a set

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

3x SB copies of Windstorm in my current Gw Devotion list.

Wouldn't you rather just have Hornet Queen in that deck?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I play 1-1 split of Hornet Queen's. You need more than one answer for big flyers.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Wasn't it that he came to some event and was spellslinging with a deck of weird new cards he'd made? That's a bit different from actually trying to put the mechanic in a set

No, Ken definitely wanted to put Pwnage in a set.
Unless you mean Richard, but I don't know about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

Whoa how did a post from 1996 get here

I played Gamble recently and it discarded the card I fetched for: Krenko. I'm not bitter.

:argh:

• Locked thread