Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

Unless the balls have spectral energy they can't use their powers to manipulate them

But they can use their powers to manipulate themselves!

that sounded dirty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I look forward to Johnny getting distracted by the big mass of purple blobs at the ceiling and getting smacked in the face as a result

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
This is going to be fun. From a reader's perspective, anyway. For a lot of the participants this is gonna be a lot of hurting and BLEACHERS. FEEL. BAD.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
What the gently caress are "bleachers" in this context? Is it just "go sit on the bench"? Non-native english speaker here.
Love the "XTREME" headband Isabel is sporting. Goes so well with her game-face.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bleachers are those big roll-out benches they have for high school sports stuff.

Why so many spirit fish in the gym?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Kikas posted:

What the gently caress are "bleachers" in this context? Is it just "go sit on the bench"? Non-native english speaker here.

If you look in the background of panel 3 you can see some. Most school gyms have some tiered seats you can fold out for an audience to sit on and it's a good place to put loser children that should feed bad.

Max has a red wristband on one arm and a blue on the other, he's really getting into this whole magnet thing :allears:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fried Chicken posted:

Unless the balls have spectral energy they can't use their powers to manipulate them

The Chapter's title page does feature a dodgeball with grey spectral energy.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh my god I can't wait to see Johnny's family.

They will probably be kind, loving, and supportive.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Go Mildcats!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Kikas posted:

Americans are mental and people will go and see sports played by a bunch of, uncoordinated half grown dwarves so they need seats for the audience at school.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

theshim posted:

Oh my god I can't wait to see Johnny's family.

They will probably be kind, loving, and supportive.

Just like Johnny is!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can google the word "bleachers" and see an example, this is literally what they're referring to. Yes, American school gyms have seating for audiences, as sometimes they and other, rival schools, will challenge each other to a duel of Hoops and occasionally beachless beach volleyball.

These are also the favored staging grounds for such maneuvers as "school pep rallies" where you're encouraged to build pride in one's school and its associated sporting representatives. And if the school in question doesn't have a proper auditorium, as is often the case for schools holding the younger age bracket, these are also where less prestigious mass-assembly functions may be held. Such as spelling bees (known by some to be Hoops for Nerds) and science fairs (beachless beach volleyball for Nerds).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
This is the best fictitious -ball since Calvinball, would play

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

We literally played "love ball" in elementary school. Did other schools have this? Because "dodge ball" was banned. It was basically the same thing.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

In middle school I came up with a capture-the-flag/dodgeball hybrid that the gym teacher liked, but we only played it twice since kid realized we could just hold on to the dodgeball and deck the other players in the face with them without actually throwing them.

Dodgeball variants are the best.

Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...

Space-Bird posted:

We literally played "love ball" in elementary school. Did other schools have this? Because "dodge ball" was banned. It was basically the same thing.

We played "funball." Literally just dodgeball.

Also, uh

Not sure whether or not to be ashamed that I caught this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Coach Oop.

Ollie Oop.

Man, no wonder he's a bully. He's taking pre-emptive measures.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Oh poo poo Isabel's got the competitive eyes.

Also there's no way that a bunch of twelve year olds with spectral green lantern powers that are invisible to other people wouldn't use them to cheat their arses off so this is gonna be fun, specially since Johnny might start being able to see spectral constructs.

I predict this will be the best magical dodgeball game since the one in Hunter X Hunter.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In my school back in the 90's, we called it "battleball."

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Well, if the dodgeball equivalent in this shounen comic is even half as good as the dodgeball match in Hunter x Hunter this comic is gonna be pretty good the next little while.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Why are there Wailords? Who put the Wailords there? This is ridiculous.

Also that swapping teams thing is terrible people are just going to let themselves get hit on purpose so they can be on the winning team/their friends' team. I bet that's what Isabel is thinking right this very now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I am genuinely hype for hitball

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Am I the only one who misread the last panel as "Aim for the enemy's faces"?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I honestly thought Coach's Oop's son was a new character, somehow I didn't connect the dots between "Johnny's big bald bud" and "big bald beloved baby boy" until people here pointed it out.

As for dodgeball, it was allowed at our school, and we also had "Solo dodgeball"; which was like dodgeball but with no teams. Fun times.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
We had Dodgeball then also Dollie Ball where you could not leave the gym dollie but it was the same concept

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Deki posted:

Am I the only one who misread the last panel as "Aim for the enemy's faces"?

Nope. When I read the alt text I became confused.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
My school had dodgeball, but it was once in a blue moon thing, while kickball was an omnipresent constant. So many loving kickball games.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

We played War. It was just dodgeball with gym mats setup to provide cover across the gym floor. You'd have multiple players volleying fire at one mat at once to knock it over and get everyone underneath.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

t my school they did this weird thing where you could get the other team out by hitting them with the ball, but to win each team had to knock down three bowling pins that the other team was defending, and this weird exploit strategy was developed to block enemy balls with a ball that you held in your hands, because it doesn't count as hitting you if it just hits the ball. I think there were also regular "jailbreaks" once one team got depleted enough.

Also instead of proper round balls we played with these weird, yellow, not-fully-inflated, low quality footballs, so we would just be tossing around these lovely lemons.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just noticed the lack of Isaac. He could just be in a different class, but him and Stephen are the only named students that appear to be missing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I mentioned solo dodgeball earlier, so I thought I'd might expand on it.

In essence, it has the same rules as normal dodgeball, except without teams. When someone gets hit they're sent to "timeout" or whatever you'd call it, and they'd be sent back into the game if the guy who hit them got hit themselves. Due to the lack of teams there weren't any designated zones, so people could just run wherever, as long as it was within the limits of the playing field itself.

This led to a lot of fun situations where someone would narrowly dodge a ball only to find that the guy who had been cowering/running next to them seconds before had taken up the Call of the Ball, and were now armed and dangerous. People often tended to gather in groups in whatever corner that was the furthest away from whoever was playing the role of walking ball dispenser, so whenever the ball was thrown at them, there would be lemming levels of people fleeing in every direction, though a few brave ones would always try to grab the ball before anyone else did, usually while someone else were trying to do the exact same thing right next to them. Nothing like whenever two kids would grab the same ball at the same time. Western standoffs can go burn, that was what a real standoff was like.

Sometimes we would even put up obstacles, which just made it even better. Nothing like 5 people trying to hide behind a plyo box with a ball bearer sneaking up on the side.

Then the teacher would suddenly throw in another ball and that's when the real fun started. Not to mention when the third ball entered the game.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 8, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ThaumPenguin posted:

I honestly thought Coach's Oop's son was a new character, somehow I didn't connect the dots between "Johnny's big bald bud" and "big bald beloved baby boy" until people here pointed it out.

As for dodgeball, it was allowed at our school, and we also had "Solo dodgeball"; which was like dodgeball but with no teams. Fun times.

Solo dodgeball is the best. All semblance of civilization breaks down, it's every child for themself in the dodgeball apocalypse.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

SlothfulCobra posted:

and this weird exploit strategy was developed to block enemy balls with a ball that you held in your hands,

This isn't a Murphy, it's rules working as intended.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The Chapter's title page does feature a dodgeball with grey spectral energy.

Looks like someone is going to gain spectral powers during HITBALL. Which is good, in a story that has more frequent updates it's good to give some time between the set up and payoff but considering the set up happened over 5 months ago in real time I'm not complaining.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Zerilan posted:

Just noticed the lack of Isaac. He could just be in a different class, but him and Stephen are the only named students that appear to be missing.

Nice catch. Given the amount of detail put into the gym crowd (and how pissed off Isaac was before), there's a good chance that's intentional

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I can't believe Ollie Oop.

If Isaac is indeed in the class then I bet there will be some drama involving his side relative to the rest of the Activity Club.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

My strange exotic dodgeball rule was that tagged players moved to the Dead Zone, which was two narrow rectangles to the side of the enemy team. Once you settled on a spot there, you weren't allowed to move, but you could still catch and throw, and if you tagged someone you'd get to come back to life.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
We played dodge ball on a basketball court, and if anyone made a basket (from half court obviously) that was the "release all your teams players" mechanism. We also had to stay behind the opposing teams basket, so we'd just collect the balls and throw them to whoever on our team was best at basketball.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Wait a sec.

There's a dodgeball variant with teams???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Autonomous Monster posted:

Wait a sec.

There's a dodgeball variant with teams???

They even made a movie about it.