Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Did they change markers in CARB? I can see friendly airplane markers at any distance now. It sure makes playing a fighter easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Yeah, they made a note in a thread, "In Ground Forces RB markers on allies will be displayed ALL THE TIME, both on aircraft and tanks."

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
My new joystick arrived and what followed was 4 hours of attempting to get the drivers to work followed by 2 hours getting the drivers the hell off my system before they broke more. If anyone has any advice on using saitek x52 pro drivers on a win 7 machine I would appreciate it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Saw your comment in the Elite thread. I really have no idea why you'd be having problems with it. I actually just finally installed the X52 (non-Pro) drivers on my own (Win 7 64bit) PC yesterday with no trouble. You got the right OS version (32 and 64 bit OS have different drivers) and downloaded them from the official website, right?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

ZeusCannon posted:

My new joystick arrived and what followed was 4 hours of attempting to get the drivers to work followed by 2 hours getting the drivers the hell off my system before they broke more. If anyone has any advice on using saitek x52 pro drivers on a win 7 machine I would appreciate it.

They're incompatible with certain win7 intel USB3 drivers particularly on asus mother boards. It's really poo poo and will cause BSODs, hard restarts etc. You have to remove the USB3 drivers, reverting them to USB2 standard.

Supposedly it's something to do with the intel drivers being a really strict implementation of the protocol and the old saitek drivers being a kinda sloppy job that worked OK on USB2. It's fixed with the Win8 drivers supposedly.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 8, 2015

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Saw your comment in the Elite thread. I really have no idea why you'd be having problems with it. I actually just finally installed the X52 (non-Pro) drivers on my own (Win 7 64bit) PC yesterday with no trouble. You got the right OS version (32 and 64 bit OS have different drivers) and downloaded them from the official website, right?

Yes.

Shanakin posted:

They're incompatible with certain win7 intel USB3 drivers particularly on asus mother boards. It's really poo poo and will cause BSODs, hard restarts etc. You have to remove the USB3 drivers, reverting them to USB2 standard.

I saw this i will attempt to do this when I have energy again. Also saw note of something in the bios that could do it. We will see.

Shanakin posted:

Supposedly it's something to do with the intel drivers being a really strict implementation of the protocol and the old saitek drivers being a kinda sloppy job that worked OK on USB2. It's fixed with the Win8 drivers supposedly.

Figures

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
That's cool Gaijin. Lets have your lovely client crash when I'm joining a game.

What's that? Oh no I didn't need that 200% RP booster. Oh yeah, thanks for that 7 minute crew lockout as well, pretty much guaranteeing that booster goes to waste.

Join in progress is a thing, yet I still can't rejoin a game I just crashed out of?

Faggots.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Burno posted:

Unless Gaijin changed the slider settings, it doesn't completely remove the grass like you can do with the config and old video card support

It totally does, though.

Grass slider maxed:

Grass slider minimized:

Preechr fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 8, 2015

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Wicaeed posted:

Faggots.

:eyepop:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Wicaeed posted:

What's that? Oh no I didn't need that 200% RP booster. Oh yeah, thanks for that 7 minute crew lockout as well, pretty much guaranteeing that booster goes to waste.

Join in progress is a thing, yet I still can't rejoin a game I just crashed out of?

Faggots.

You are mad.
Mad about planes.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mazz posted:

Wow the T-44 is a lot more underwhelming then I hoped. I'd almost rather play the 34/85 at the tier because smart Germans just shoot the turret anyway.

I found the T-44 the most painful vehicle to spade for the Soviets. Unless you are a weird retard like me and feel compelled to unlock everything as you go along, you'll want to avoid the T-44. It has 1.7 BR over the T-34-85 (D-5T), and essentially no advantage beyond 10 mm extra penetration (which isn't nearly enough to be competitive at that rank) and negligible armor improvements that'll be easily punched through by whatever you're fighting at BR 6.7 anyway.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Wicaeed posted:

Faggots.

drat, that's 2.4 games worth of progress that you'll never get back. Better act 14 online.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wicaeed posted:

Faggots.

You sound very angry about your toy plane mans.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Wicaeed posted:

Faggots.

Chill bro, the tanks and planes ain't even real.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

You sound very angry about your toy plane mans.

You should hear him in-game

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Preechr posted:

It totally does, though.

Grass slider maxed:

Grass slider minimized:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

heh, i'm really angry about games but i am a bad rear end, how do i convey my manly rage over the internet.

i know

faggots

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

Recoome posted:

heh, i'm really angry about games but i am a bad rear end, how do i convey my manly rage over the internet.

i know

faggots

Yet again your avatar is a perfect fit.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ClassicFascist posted:

Yet again your avatar is a perfect fit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012
I wish they'd bring back the daily 2x (and occasional 4x)

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Mazz posted:

Wow the T-44 is a lot more underwhelming then I hoped. I'd almost rather play the 34/85 at the tier because smart Germans just shoot the turret anyway.

I used to think the same way, but then I discovered something. The trick to the T-44 is that you never want to fight anything face to face, and to remember that you gun has almost no depression.

Oh sure, you can take Tigers and Panthers and a fair share of US tanks from the front, but that means longer fights, and you really don't want to stick around and bang it out in a T-44. Sooner or later, a Tiger 2 H or a Pershing will shoot at you while you're trying to take someone out, and then it's goodnight sweet prince.

The T-44 is made for aggressive flanking, low profile and all. You gotta go fast, and use map knowledge to keep yourself hidden as you push up. The APCR has so-so penetration and worse damage than the already mediocre 85mm APHE. Don't use it unless you have to. Load the ammo that's unlocked just before the APCR, and use that. The damage kind of sucks, but it's good enough if you shoot the right bits.

Oh, and be careful when you race downhill. Your drat lower front plate can hit the ground before your treads and kill your driver.

I always liked how the alien special forces team had a couple freaky alien dudes, a white guy with orange hair, and an orange guy with white hair.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:ninja:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Is there a way to change shells without firing the one already loaded?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Humboldt Squid posted:

No. Unfortunately.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
I guess it's essentially impossible to play with a group larger than 4 people? I have 4 other friends who have all started playing and tonight we noticed that the squad size maxes out at 4 apparently? I'm the only one with a premium account. Some pubbie said something about making a clan but I haven't looked into it. Kinda like WoT I guess?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Humboldt Squid posted:

Get your loader killed, and then load a different shell when the new guy takes over.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

lilspooky posted:

Anyone got a good play list for dogfight music? Obviously Danger Zone is required but what else works well when tangling with people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1ZN8c4_Gs

Kill markers go on the left I believe.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

lilspooky posted:

I guess it's essentially impossible to play with a group larger than 4 people? I have 4 other friends who have all started playing and tonight we noticed that the squad size maxes out at 4 apparently? I'm the only one with a premium account. Some pubbie said something about making a clan but I haven't looked into it. Kinda like WoT I guess?

You can sync-drop, with varying degrees of success, but yeah. 4 people.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

lilspooky posted:

Clans do literally nothing but put a series of symbols, letters, and numbers in front of your name. I guess you also get your own special chat channel but given that anyone can create a channel it's really pointless. Oh yeah, I guess if you and your friends are super tryhards you could compete in some sort of infrequent/irregularly scheduled tournaments or something for golden eagles? (Clans do not change the maximum squad size.)

As far as synchdrops go, make sure:
  • all groups are ready before anyone starts counting down
  • all the groups are queuing for the same faction (RB/SB only)
  • all groups are queuing for the same server (make sure you're only queuing for one server)
  • all group 'leaders' (the people who press "to battle") have "Join Battles in Progress" deselected.
  • the person who is counting down is not one of the 'leaders'.

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012
syncdrops sounds like a lot of effort.

On another note, is there a way to see how effective your plane's cannon is?

I've tried using the 75mm german panzerknacker thing, and the p39. No idea if my "hit" is actually doing any damage to the player controlled tanks.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Just looking at the stats, the IL-10 seems to be worse than the IL-2M? It does have better flight performance but it also seems to loose half of it's munitions load of Rockets and 100kg bombs for the dubious ability to instead carry two 250kg bombs alone. Considering that your primary job is dropping copious amounts of HE on ground targets in CARB, it's generally a downgrade? The 23mm's also seem to suck complete rear end when you shoot them at American half-tracks for some reason.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TheNBucket posted:

syncdrops sounds like a lot of effort.

On another note, is there a way to see how effective your plane's cannon is?

I've tried using the 75mm german panzerknacker thing, and the p39. No idea if my "hit" is actually doing any damage to the player controlled tanks.

Most of the plane-mounted AT cannons tend to be rather useless against player tanks, by the time you get them the tanks you're going up against will be too hardy to be reliably damaged by them. The only time I managed to get a kill that way was nailing a Marder with the PBJ's 75mm, but open-topped vehicles like that can be just as easily killed with copious MG and light cannon fire. The Yak-9T seems to be the one exception to that, but for the most part bombs and rockets are far more efficient at killing tanks than cannons.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

I just had a pretty hilarious encounter in my horribly damaged Panther and it seemed like something out of looney toons.

So I might as well add all the bells and whistles to it :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRQ5sqKqWH8
This is great.

If they add the M18 Hellcat I want to see a roadrunner parody. :v:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Most of the plane mounted guns are not properly modeled in CARB mode, by Gaijin's own admission, I believe. Many guns won't work against even the lightest armor. This is how you can strafe a halftrack ( or other thin-skinned vehicles ) with tons of guns and still end up not killing the damned things.

There are glaring examples of this, like the 37mm Stukas, the Yak-9K, or the Hs129's 75mm gun. Some planes don't have this problem. Some planes have guns that only work against certain vehicles. Many just won't work, period, or they're extremely finicky.

I have killed some tanks with my Hs 129 and my Yak-9T, but it was such complete bullshit. Things you should absolutely penetrate would often just shrug off your rounds, no matter how hard you worked for the best angles. Even when you did penetrate someone, you were lucky if you so much as set them on fire. I got an ammo rack, one time, in a total of around 80 cannon attacks with various planes.

Guns are a waste of time until they get fixed.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Most of the plane mounted guns are not properly modeled in CARB mode, by Gaijin's own admission, I believe. Many guns won't work against even the lightest armor. This is how you can strafe a halftrack ( or other thin-skinned vehicles ) with tons of guns and still end up not killing the damned things.

There are glaring examples of this, like the 37mm Stukas, the Yak-9K, or the Hs129's 75mm gun. Some planes don't have this problem. Some planes have guns that only work against certain vehicles. Many just won't work, period, or they're extremely finicky.

I have killed some tanks with my Hs 129 and my Yak-9T, but it was such complete bullshit. Things you should absolutely penetrate would often just shrug off your rounds, no matter how hard you worked for the best angles. Even when you did penetrate someone, you were lucky if you so much as set them on fire. I got an ammo rack, one time, in a total of around 80 cannon attacks with various planes.

Guns are a waste of time until they get fixed.

This is all true but the Vya-23mm in particular is also bugged in recent versions where as it used to be quite effective against armoured ground targets. Or at least AI ones. They've claimed that one is to be fixed in 1.49 though so maybe.

the NS23's on the Il-10 '46 are just bad at shooting ground stuff though.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Flying IL2M in CARB I remember VYa-23 doing well against playertanks, just had to hit engine or rear in general and also not be obscenely overtiered compared to the plane itself.

Still can't believe they need until 1.49 to fix Russian cannons out of all things.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Collateral Damage posted:

This is great.

If they add the M18 Hellcat I want to see a roadrunner parody. :v:
The Walker Bulldog is already so much fun and fast I've been thinking about it :D

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

I killed more guys with the machine guns on a p47 than most of my team got period. (Killed a zis 30 and a gaz)

This seems pretty cool:
http://warthunder.com/en/news/2987-events-war-thunder-conflicts-series-ww2-chronicles-en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4-i30eebhs

Skwee fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Yeah 5 weeks of events, including the ones for the new vehicles they are adding. Wouldn't be surprised if the Vehicle events are the Weekend ones, especially when I believe there are 5 special vehicles and 5 weekends.

• Locked thread