Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

achillesforever6 posted:

No they want democracy as the Athenians saw their democracy: only the rich men get to vote, gently caress everyone else and get back up that attic woman!
Attic women for Atticans, filthy Medes keep out! (Not!Hellenocentric)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lazy, apathetic people deserve political representation too. AGC.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Belome
Jan 1, 2013
With mandatory voting, do you actually have to vote for anything or just turn in a ballot?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

"my thorax needs a rubdown" just tickles me so

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did Scientology do something recently?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Belome posted:

With mandatory voting, do you actually have to vote for anything or just turn in a ballot?

Well since nobody tracks what you write on your ballot or what box you tick off, you could show up, write "gently caress ALL THESE FUCKERS" on your ballot, and turn it in, and provided at least one person in your district turned in a proper ballot they would have no way of knowing who did it.

So, um, just turn in a ballot. All mandatory voting means is "show up"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Radish posted:

There was a new documentary about it recently, I think. I've seen articles about scientology cropping up all over the place in the last few weeks and I think that's why.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Radish posted:

there was a documentary on it published through HBO a few weeks ago called Going Clear. It's pretty good, though there's not a ton of novel material if you're already a Xenuologist. Some worthwhile interviews with both celebrity and hoi polloi former members.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks, I've fallen off paying attention to Scientology since I assumed everyone who wasn't already in deep at this point knew it was a scam.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It brought the slavery allegations to wider attention.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I can't wait to see what political cartoons are being worked on regarding this latest police officer shooting unarmed black guy thing.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SquadronROE posted:

I can't wait to see what political cartoons are being worked on regarding this latest police officer shooting unarmed black guy thing.

Walter Scott, the man responsible for Walter Scott's death - Michael Ramirez

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They can just change the names on their cartoon from the last time this happened.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

vyelkin posted:

Well since nobody tracks what you write on your ballot or what box you tick off, you could show up, write "gently caress ALL THESE FUCKERS" on your ballot, and turn it in, and provided at least one person in your district turned in a proper ballot they would have no way of knowing who did it.

So, um, just turn in a ballot. All mandatory voting means is "show up"

In Australia you don't even have to show up if you have an excuse (no evidence required) like "I was sick" or "my grandma died" or "I was out of town" or "I forgot YOU BASTARDS DIDN'T ADVERTISE IT ENOUGH" and they'll let you off the hook for the not-voting fine

also tons of people write "gently caress you" on the ballot
or draw penises
or write long screeds about dumb poo poo that nobody besides the vote counters will ever see

Democracy in action

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

SquadronROE posted:

Have the media already dug something up that can fuel the "he was no angel" narrative? As soon as they have a sliver of something, expect our usual suspects to latch onto that, hard.

Except for Branco. Branco will not even need that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

Have the media already dug something up that can fuel the "he was no angel" narrative? As soon as they have a sliver of something, expect our usual suspects to latch onto that, hard.

Except for Branco. Branco will not even need that.

Apparently he had a warrant out for failure to pay child support, Surely He Was No Angel(TM).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

alnilam posted:

Apparently he had a warrant out for failure to pay child support, Surely He Was No Angel(TM).

He was a black man driving a mercedes. You know what that means. It means he had good taste in cars.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 8, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

Ramirez will draw a comic decrying the terrible loss of life so he can pretend to be bipartisan and win a Pulitzer.

Every other conservative cartoonist will emphasize what a rare, out of control evil killer this guy was, and how it does not reflect on the profession as a whole, and certainly was not part of a pattern.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SquadronROE posted:

He was a black man driving a mercedes. You know what that means. It means he had good taste in cars.

Black man, Mercedes, broken taillight -- there was a crime in progress. :rolleye:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

frankenfreak posted:

They have, but I'm still placing my bets on

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ramirez will draw a comic decrying the terrible loss of life so he can pretend to be bipartisan and win a Pulitzer.

Every other conservative cartoonist will emphasize what a rare, out of control evil killer this guy was, and how it does not reflect on the profession as a whole, and certainly was not part of a pattern.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
The new Blair Witch film seems like avatar material. Then again, his decisions got more people killed than Thatcher did, who dead waits dreaming

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

What is their point? "We should be allowed to take as many showers as we want!"? Do people really think water is infinite?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Jesus Christ, do they really think that Jerry Brown is putting water rationing "regulatons" in place just to be a dick?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Well! Here comes ol' Jerry Brown!

Good ol' Jerry Brown .... Yes, sir!

Good ol' Jerry Brown...

How I hate him!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Xenochrist posted:

This cartoon also touches on the "more reservoirs would stop the drought problem, but it's the evil environmentalists fault we can't build any new ones" argument that was strutted out by carly fiorina yesterday. Because reservoirs magically create more water.

I remember during the GOP clown car debates for Election '12, Michele Bachmann trotting out some nonsense about how the EPA was the real tyranny. One day later, Ramirez cross-hatches a comic explaining just that.

Shining the poop of wingnut idiots and grifters. Well done, Michael.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Meanwhile in real life Jerry Brown called for reducing water consumption by 25% (with farms being exempted), and left it to local water agencies to work out how, with the possibility of fines on local water suppliers who don't meet that target. But let's just pretend that the California Water Police are going to come after you for taking showers, because it's easier for hack cartoonists to draw.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

Jesus Christ, do they really think that Jerry Brown is putting water rationing "regulatons" in place just to be a dick?

Hey, that's how wingnuts legislate, so it must mean it's how everyone does!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SquadronROE posted:

What is their point? "We should be allowed to take as many showers as we want!"? Do people really think water is infinite?

I'd imagine it'd be more for that being the target of fines rather than millionaires watering their grass in the middle of a desert or agriculture taking the lion's share of water reserves in the state.

If you were to institute an effective tax would you start taxing junk food or Fritos?

Edit: Wait nevermind checked the cartoonist names. Dollars to donuts its "government wants you to be stinky".

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 8, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Redeye Flight posted:

Yes.

Like, yea, there's no joke here, they think he's doing it just to hurt people to push his CRAZY GREEN AGENDA because environmentalists hate humans.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

It's going to be real depressing when we start hearing stories about people wasting water on purpose to "stick it to the government".

At least California is trying to do something about it, all the other water-doomed states don't really seem to care. (I wonder why?)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Just a friendly reminder that upwards of 60% of residential water use in california is put towards "landscaping" (aka grass)... welp seeya.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Ralepozozaxe posted:

It's going to be real depressing when we start hearing stories about people wasting water on purpose to "stick it to the government".

Can almost see people converting their 'rolling coal' trucks to spray water at random people instead

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So I was reading Bloom County and this old sunday page made me think of this thread.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Yeah, I guess the anger from the right wing comes from the fact that they don't think environmental causes are worth taking up people's time with. They don't think there's a problem with water, just like they don't think there's a problem with climate change. Plus if there is, the government doing something about it is bound to be the wrong way to handle it because the government can't do anything right.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The American Right has finally gotten to the point where they are now blaming natural disasters on BIG GOVT and REGULATIONS with a straight face. This can't possibly be sustainable, right? Right? :ohdear:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

loquacius posted:

The American Right has finally gotten to the point where they are now blaming natural disasters on BIG GOVT and REGULATIONS with a straight face. This can't possibly be sustainable, right? Right? :ohdear:

Are you kidding? Some places were trying to pin the meteor impact in Russia on Obama.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

KennyMan666 posted:

So I was reading Bloom County and this old sunday page made me think of this thread.

Really you could publish most of the Bloom County comics and change around SOME of the names and they would be just as relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Tinsley is now an anchorman?

• Locked thread