Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for a 27" 1440p monitor that can give me accurate colors for photo editing. Decent out of the box calibration is a plus, as I'm not sure how long it will be until I can get my hands on a calibrator. Other than photo editing, it'll be used for programming and general use. Not concerned with gaming performance for this one. I would like to be able to have the option of using this with modern game consoles though, which I think means I want something with decent input options and a built in scaler (correct me if I'm wrong).

When I looked into this in the past, it seemed like, for me, the 27" Dell UltraSharp was worth the premium over the cheap Korean options due to it's calibration, stand, input options and Dell's customer service (panel guarantee?). Now though, it looks like there are many more options that compete with the Dell.

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Splinter posted:

I'm looking for a 27" 1440p monitor that can give me accurate colors for photo editing. Decent out of the box calibration is a plus, as I'm not sure how long it will be until I can get my hands on a calibrator. Other than photo editing, it'll be used for programming and general use. Not concerned with gaming performance for this one. I would like to be able to have the option of using this with modern game consoles though, which I think means I want something with decent input options and a built in scaler (correct me if I'm wrong).

When I looked into this in the past, it seemed like, for me, the 27" Dell UltraSharp was worth the premium over the cheap Korean options due to it's calibration, stand, input options and Dell's customer service (panel guarantee?). Now though, it looks like there are many more options that compete with the Dell.

Any recommendations?

I have used the dell 27 model for years and and i can hook the ps3 up and it scales up perfectly. It have all the input options and sound out so you dont have to change headphone jack each time you shift between pc/console. It is decent out of box so you can wait with calibration for a while. The only negative thing i can say is that it gets warm with age (physical temperature) and you need to be sure to have the correct firmware version to avoid the old problems from earlier versions.

This is all uneducated noob opinions though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

signalnoise posted:

How important is the difference between IPS and TN monitors on a gaming laptop? Disclaimer I am the target audience for a gaming laptop please don't tell me just don't buy one

I have a gaming laptop with an awesome IPS panel and it'll be a cold day in hell before I get a lovely display again.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

go3 posted:

I have a gaming laptop with an awesome IPS panel and it'll be a cold day in hell before I get a lovely display again.

Yeah even on a tiny 11.6" screen for my ultra portable Afghanistan laptop, TN was fuckng unbearable.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sauer kraut posted:

Sup new monitor anticipation buddy.
Small potatoes but half my disability cheque just went to this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-24mb35pyb after 7 long years with a 1280x1024 and letterboxed videos.

You didn't spend over $200 on a 24" 1080p screen, did you?

e: especially after the last couple pages are full of people spending less on better displays

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
So I just setup a new monitor and have been using its display port to connect to my pc. After a week of owning it I've noticed the connection is really touchy on the back of the monitor. Any sort of jostling or movement on the cable or near the connection causes it to drop the input. However this isn't an issue where it connects to my GPU, I can wiggle the connection all I want there. I've never used DP as a connection before and was wondering if this is a common issue or do I have a partially defective monitor and maybe I should consider exchanging it.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

tesilential posted:

You didn't spend over $200 on a 24" 1080p screen, did you?

e: especially after the last couple pages are full of people spending less on better displays

No it was about 125€ plus federal sales tax. Monitors are crazy expensive in the US for some reason idk why.
Also it was the cheapest with DP and an office-grade stand that doesn't suck.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 3, 2015

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Splinter posted:

Any recommendations?

I'm not sure how long ago you looked at them but Dell has a new 27" out now, the U2715H. I got mine about a month ago and I've been super happy with it. I'm using it connected with the included DP to mini DP cable which leaves a full DP and 2 HDMI ports available to hook up more stuff. As always with the Dell monitors, wait until you get a good price on it. It's been fluctuating a bit on Amazon though I did manage to get it when it was down to $560 (currently $590). I had considered the 144Hz IPS gsync Acer but decided it was a bit more than I wanted to spend.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Betty posted:

So I just setup a new monitor and have been using its display port to connect to my pc. After a week of owning it I've noticed the connection is really touchy on the back of the monitor. Any sort of jostling or movement on the cable or near the connection causes it to drop the input. However this isn't an issue where it connects to my GPU, I can wiggle the connection all I want there. I've never used DP as a connection before and was wondering if this is a common issue or do I have a partially defective monitor and maybe I should consider exchanging it.

Get a spare cable to test first, but otherwise I'd probably RMA it. Loose connections only get worse over time.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Michael Jackson posted:

I have used the dell 27 model for years and and i can hook the ps3 up and it scales up perfectly. It have all the input options and sound out so you dont have to change headphone jack each time you shift between pc/console. It is decent out of box so you can wait with calibration for a while.
That's just what I want to hear!

Enzenx posted:

I'm not sure how long ago you looked at them but Dell has a new 27" out now, the U2715H. I got mine about a month ago and I've been super happy with it. I'm using it connected with the included DP to mini DP cable which leaves a full DP and 2 HDMI ports available to hook up more stuff. As always with the Dell monitors, wait until you get a good price on it. It's been fluctuating a bit on Amazon though I did manage to get it when it was down to $560 (currently $590). I had considered the 144Hz IPS gsync Acer but decided it was a bit more than I wanted to spend.

Did not realize there was a new version out. I guess I've been looking at an old list of UltraSharp models rather than this new one. That explains why the U2713HM is now listed as sold out and unavailable on the Dell site.

The U2715H looks good. Significantly cheaper on amazon than direct from Dell though. Does Dell provide the same customer service and "Premium Panel Guarantee" for monitors purchased from Amazon as they do direct? Any advantage to waiting for a sale from Dell rather than jumping at a good price on Amazon?

Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 14, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ok, my Acer gets here on Tuesday, so where's the pictures from the goon that has one.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
So is the XB270HU The Real poo poo? Already have an LG 27MB85Z-B, got it for £290 new at the end of November, which is pretty good considering they still sell for £500-600. Considering trying to flip it on e-bay for a profit and get one of the Predators but they're £700 in the UK :negative: would have waited if I knew this new one was coming out, but don't know if the panel is better than the one I have already and I've seen a few posts around on other forums about blacklight bleed and dead pixel problems

Is G-Sync even worth it around the 40-50 fps range? Only on a GTX770. Wish I could try this g-sync and a screen over 60hz before I buy one.

My screen has hardware calibration though, is a Spyder4 Express worth getting? There is a Pro version on e-bay right now but I don't know whether to go over the price of an Express new (£60) of if the Pro is worth the extra (£120 new)... also following an X-Rite i1Display 2 that's up for £50 right now.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah even on a tiny 11.6" screen for my ultra portable Afghanistan laptop, TN was fuckng unbearable.

Dude posting from a war zone: "gently caress this TN is horrific."

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Splinter posted:

That's just what I want to hear!

Did not realize there was a new version out. I guess I've been looking at an old list of UltraSharp models rather than this new one. That explains why the U2713HM is now listed as sold out and unavailable on the Dell site.

The U2713HM looks good. Significantly cheaper on amazon than direct from Dell though. Does Dell provide the same customer service and "Premium Panel Guarantee" for monitors purchased from Amazon as they do direct? Any advantage to waiting for a sale from Dell rather than jumping at a good price on Amazon?

Amazon is an authorized reseller so any warranty is valid the same as if you'd purchased it directly from them. Dell also apparently offers some sort of price matching which might be worth looking in to if you really care where you purchase it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

So is the XB270HU The Real poo poo? Already have an LG 27MB85Z-B, got it for £290 new at the end of November, which is pretty good considering they still sell for £500-600. Considering trying to flip it on e-bay for a profit and get one of the Predators but they're £700 in the UK :negative: would have waited if I knew this new one was coming out, but don't know if the panel is better than the one I have already and I've seen a few posts around on other forums about blacklight bleed and dead pixel problems

Is G-Sync even worth it around the 40-50 fps range? Only on a GTX770. Wish I could try this g-sync and a screen over 60hz before I buy one.

My screen has hardware calibration though, is a Spyder4 Express worth getting? There is a Pro version on e-bay right now but I don't know whether to go over the price of an Express new (£60) of if the Pro is worth the extra (£120 new)... also following an X-Rite i1Display 2 that's up for £50 right now.

40-50 fps is actually pretty ideal conditions for Gsync- That's the range where normal vsync falls flat on it's face.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KingEup posted:

I was just trying to justify why I bought such a small laptop.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
How is this monitor?
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/viewson...nted&adid=29110
Is there anything to the "superclear" thing or is it all marketing?

My goal is to have 3 displays next to each other, so a thin bezel is important. And it has to be affordable. I would love to have 3 of the dell 1900x1200 displays but I don't have $1000+ for that kind of setup.
Currently I'm using a Dell 2001FP and a second hand 17" Samsung Syncmaster.

Betty
Apr 14, 2008

isndl posted:

Get a spare cable to test first, but otherwise I'd probably RMA it. Loose connections only get worse over time.

Ordered a cable. Also tried switching ends of the current cable and it still does the same thing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KingEup posted:

suffering a bad TN display is worse than being in Afghanistan

friends dont let friends buy bad displays
or enlist.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I am tired of trying to get a Acer XB270HU and hate anyone who has one/is being shipped one. I order; my order ends up on backorder or some sort of drop shipping purgatory.

quote:

To Drop Shipper - Your order is being submitted to a third-party warehouse for fulfillment and delivery. You will receive a Shipping Confirmation email once it ships.

I'm pretty sure they're out and aren't telling me in hopes that I won't cancel.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 4, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Who are you ordering from?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Who are you ordering from?

Tigerdirect ... yeah I know. Oh and Macmall. Also, Antarespro.com.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
I'm looking for a large, adjustable screen for gaming and movies. I was looking at the Dell U2711 on amazon to start getting an idea on price, etc. Amazon didn't seem to be selling any but they are selling "Like New" U2713HM through the Amazon Warehouse for $470. Is this a good deal? I don't see the U2713HM mentioned in the OP anywhere. Here's the amazon page: http://amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQQY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428364378&sr=8-2&keywords=Dell+U2711

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Ajaxify posted:

I'm looking for a large, adjustable screen for gaming and movies. I was looking at the Dell U2711 on amazon to start getting an idea on price, etc. Amazon didn't seem to be selling any but they are selling "Like New" U2713HM through the Amazon Warehouse for $470. Is this a good deal? I don't see the U2713HM mentioned in the OP anywhere. Here's the amazon page: http://amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQQY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428364378&sr=8-2&keywords=Dell+U2711

The OP is many years out of date and the specific product recommendations should largely be ignored. Even if you could find a U2711 used, its aggressive, grainy anti-glare filter is unacceptable by today's standards and uses a CCFL backlight, which gets pretty hot at that size and could be pretty worn out by the time you get it.

A used U2713HM for $470 is a bad deal, especially considering you can get a brand new ASUS PB278Q for $440 or BenQ GW2765HT for $360.

For whatever reason, Dell's 1440p offerings are sitting around $600 right now. Even Dell's 4K 27" IPS monitor (P2715Q) is $15-20 cheaper than either the U2713HM or U2715H. I wouldn't get either of the latter two unless they fell below $500, personally.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 7, 2015

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Wow ok, I'm clueless. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I'll take a look at the ones you recommended. Need to figure out if 4K is worth it for games or not, among other things.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ajaxify posted:

I'll take a look at the ones you recommended. Need to figure out if 4K is worth it for games or not, among other things.

If you're thinking about gaming on it, ensure that you've come to terms with the reality that either (1) you will have to have some serious GPU power (most likely dual 970/980/290X's) if you want to maintain 60FPS with all the pretties turned on, (2) you will have to turn off a lot of the pretties, or (3) you will need to downsample to 1080p for gaming. It's pretty sweet if you can swing it, but you're not getting a "decent" 4k rig for less than $600-$700 worth of GPUs.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Ajaxify posted:

I wouldn't recommend one below 34" (or maybe 32" since those models actually exist right now). On-screen elements will just be too small otherwise. Even at 39", pixel density is still 110 ppi, which is just a tiny bit more than 1440p at 27"

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ajaxify posted:

For gaming use, just go for 2560 * 1440 right now. Prices are lower, it's more usable, and it's still a great resolution for 24-27" monitors. Get 4k for stuff like office work where you want to fit a shitload of 1080 remote desktop screens or massive spreadsheets on your monitor. (And don't get a 4k screen under 27", it'll be obnoxious as poo poo.)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The power button on my Monoprice IPS-Glass Panel Pro failed with a couple weeks left in the warranty and I was able to have it replaced with a new one of these, 'Pro AH-VA CrystalPro LED Monitor.' There is hardly anything out there about this model so I though I'd toss in my completely amateurish review.

- It has a much better stand than the IPS-Glass, it's very sturdy, turns, tilts, and adjusts height. It's actually quite nice and I might hold onto it for future monitors.
- Rather than the backlight bleeding in the corners, it seems to get a little dimmer in the bottom left and right. Not very noticable, and much better than bright splotches.
- There are a few dead pixels, which is a bummer but not something by which to judge an entire model
- This is probably the 'AH-VA' thing, but there is a kind of filter you can see in the outer layer of the monitor that has a few imperfections, pixels that look slightly different. You can tell it's in front of the actual pixels by moving your head. Not noticeable during normal use though
- It came very well calibrated out of the box, which I found surprising
- Once you figure out the unlabeled buttons, the OSD is pretty navigable and usable (more than the IPS-Glass)
- The ports are easier to use, there's more room to jam them in. I remember removing a DP in particular was a pain for the IPS-Glass
- I don't know enough about monitors to say more. It looks good?

I don't know if it's the best deal at full price but I'm happy with it (and happy with the Monoprice warranty process.)

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 7, 2015

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Amazon has a preorder thingy up for the Acer XB270HU.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-UM-HB0AA-001-27IN-2560-XB270HU/dp/B00UPVXDA8

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 7, 2015

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Mozi posted:

- This is probably the 'AH-VA' thing, but there is a kind of filter you can see in the outer layer of the monitor that has a few imperfections, pixels that look slightly different. You can tell it's in front of the actual pixels by moving your head. Not noticeable during normal use though

AH-VA is just AU Optronics' name for their IPS-type technology (just like PLS is for Samsung) and it behaves like any other IPS panel. Your monitor has a glass plate in front of the panel, so more than likely, that's just dust or other contaminants trapped between the glass plate and panel. Unfortunately, you're stuck with it because that glass plate is glued on tight to the panel.

While dust can get in during many points during the assembly process, this is not likely to be AU Optronics' fault and probably happened at whatever factory these monitors are assembled at for Monoprice. I would wager a guess that conditions are not as clean there as they are wherever the panels themselves are manufactured.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 7, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got my XB270HU. It's really awesome, the colors really pop. Not calibrated, but I'm never going to have any kind of tester. Makes my old TN panel next to it look like garbage. The only thing that annoys me is how short the included DP cable is and the off-white bleed in the lower right corner.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm after a 24inch high refresh rate monitor (don't have the video card grunt to get one of those awesome looking Korean 27inch monitors) for gaming.

I'm not sure if you folks in the US have AOC but I'm after your thoughts on the AOC G2460PQU. It's more than $100 cheaper than the offerings from Asus, BenQ etc. so I'm just wondering if there is an obvious reason why.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1212&products_id=27647

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'd wager that it actually takes pretty similar GPU grunt to run stuff at 1080@100+ FPS vs 2560 * 1440 @ 60 fps, so it might not be all that far off-

Looking at a few benches for something like a GTX980, it generally hops from 60 fps at 2560 up to 95-100 at 1920 in modern games.

What GPU do you have? It's really really hard to beat the korean 27"s by almost any metric given their cost (Other than things like "Stand quality").

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've got a Radeon 7850.

Ideally I'd like to get that silky smooth high refresh rate goodness, but I think you might be right. The more I look at it, the Korean models seem to be the way to go. I don't think it's going to cost that much more when I will probably realise that I need to upgrade my video card to get 100+ FPS on a 1080 monitor with AAA titles anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
XB270HU

Turning down the brightness (it's super bright) down to around 25, the backlight bleed isn't too bad. One cool thing with GSync is you can use the OSD refresh rate bar as a pseudo FPS gauge. It was stuck at 60 and I was wondering why until I remembered I have to set the refresh rate in the resolution window. So it's a couple button presses away and I can make a best guess on what my FPS is while playing games. Wish it wasn't so expensive, but I'm not really regretting it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Lots of early reviews mentioning severe backlight bleeding with the XB270HU, I think I will wait until they sort that out.

How does GSync work? Like what settings would I need to use with games or does it matter? Will I have to manually configure something depending on the game I'm playing or can I just set it to 120hz and call it a day?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Seeing as someone mentioned the OP is severley out of date, I'm just wanting to confirm that these are the two go-to choices at the moment for the Korean overclocking monitors?

http://www.amazon.com/QNIX-QX2710-Evolution-LED-Monitor/dp/B00BUI44US/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1428501993&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-QNIX-Evolution-2560x1440-Monitor/dp/B00TPGCAAS/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1428501993&sr=1-4

What's glossy? Do I want glossy?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Canadian goons: XB270HU in stock at NCIX and CDW. Pre-ordered mine at NCIX a few days ago, so hopefully I get one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

xcore posted:

What's glossy? Do I want glossy?

It super depends. My old sony vaio Z is glossy, but it works even outside in the summer sun as long as the brightness is cranked to max. Then there's macbook glossy, which is basically a shaving mirror in almost any condition outside. And finally there's just your old shaving mirror, that doubles as a monitor at night.

At least check reviews, but preferably have a look before buying if you can is what I'm saying.