Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Astonishing Wang posted:

I need this so bad. Probably cost-prohibitive to add...

Drive around the midwest a while in the winter, and you'll soon have enough holes in your floor pans to suck any number of farts (and feet) out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Hyundai.

At least in my neck of the woods, the Hyundai dealership service departments were notoriously lovely about jerking customers around and doing lovely work.

Apparently they've been getting better over the past few years.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 25, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Man I was so pissed when I went from an 08 to an 11 Tacoma and the cupholders went from a nice, adjustable, springloaded compartment to two round plastic holes.

I don't need a hole big enough for a 64oz bellywasher--just give me a loving cupholder that will hold a variety of cups reasonably secured, thanks in advance.

:negative:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
look you commie gently caress this is America and I need vehicles that can fit my 96 oz Dr. Pepper and carry my Hoverround chair in the back

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

go3 posted:

look you commie gently caress this is America and I need vehicles that can fit my 96 oz Dr. Pepper and carry my Hoverround chair in the back

-- Louie Gohmert (R) TX

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Hyundai.

At least in my neck of the woods, the Hyundai dealership service departments were notoriously lovely about jerking customers around and doing lovely work.

Apparently they've been getting better over the past few years.

:siren: Paging Bajaha. Bajaha, your experience with Hyundai quality and dealerships is needed on aisle 3.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

some texas redneck posted:

:siren: Paging Bajaha. Bajaha, your experience with Hyundai quality and dealerships is needed on aisle 3.

:ohdear:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Where do I start? Terrible service, long waits, overcharging without shame, misinformation, scare tactics to push unnecessary maintenance, incompetent technicians, no care for customer property, denying liability, backtracking when called out on b.s., "forgetting" to contact customers when having to deliver bad news, etc. My Baja thread contains the nitty gritty details.

The "warranty" has wasted an unbelievable amount of my time, and the ownership experience has been about as pleasant as shoving pineapples up my rear end. The car itself is a decent commuter, and if it was reliable it probably would have been ok, but with the constant issues and dealership experience, I've come to loath the drat thing. God help you if you have to interact with a Hyundai dealership for service after buying one of their cars.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I don't think any of that is exclusive to Hyundai dealerships. Sounds exactly like the dealership I work at. :)

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

What about European brands? I heard VW/Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW tend to provide good service at their dealerships.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 26, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've only ever had excellent service at my local BMW dealer. Nice loaners, they install parts I bring them without question, and are friendly to chat with and very knowledgeable about things. Anecdotal for sure, but that's my experience.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

When I needed an idle air valve for my 30 year old scirocco there was only one car I could find it on. A 2002 Hyundai, exact same part and everything. I get the distinct impression those cars are literally cobbled together.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CornHolio posted:

I've only ever had excellent service at my local BMW dealer. Nice loaners, they install parts I bring them without question, and are friendly to chat with and very knowledgeable about things. Anecdotal for sure, but that's my experience.

My BMW was pretty decent as well. When my CCC died in my E60, they offered to snag up a refurbished one, get me a loaner and pretty much just went out of their way.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

1500quidporsche posted:

When I needed an idle air valve for my 30 year old scirocco there was only one car I could find it on. A 2002 Hyundai, exact same part and everything. I get the distinct impression those cars are literally cobbled together.

Haha really? Is yours a 8V with that huge IAV that hangs off to the side? Its so huge, I cant imagine why Hyundai would use that one 20 years later.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Fart Pipe posted:

Haha really? Is yours a 8V with that huge IAV that hangs off to the side? Its so huge, I cant imagine why Hyundai would use that one 20 years later.

Nah its the 16v one that runs off the PCV hose and loops into the rubber boot. Its a Bosch part so I imagine some Hyundai accountant went out drinking with a Bosch rep and got talked into buying a warehouse full of them.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Pixelated Dragon posted:

What about European brands? I heard VW/Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW tend to provide good service at their dealerships.

My experience with the Audi dealer has been excellent. There is a strange thing going on with Audi / VW service though where Audi owners are ushered into a leather clad lounge with a stocked bar fridge and VW owners to something that looks like a DMW waiting room complete with plastic chairs and a take a number reel.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bajaha posted:

Where do I start? Terrible service, long waits, overcharging without shame, misinformation, scare tactics to push unnecessary maintenance, incompetent technicians, no care for customer property, denying liability, backtracking when called out on b.s., "forgetting" to contact customers when having to deliver bad news, etc. My Baja thread contains the nitty gritty details.

The "warranty" has wasted an unbelievable amount of my time, and the ownership experience has been about as pleasant as shoving pineapples up my rear end. The car itself is a decent commuter, and if it was reliable it probably would have been ok, but with the constant issues and dealership experience, I've come to loath the drat thing. God help you if you have to interact with a Hyundai dealership for service after buying one of their cars.

My parents bought matching 2006 Tuscon V6 Limiteds back in mid 2007. Both of them are cursed, though only one from a service perspective.

First, they were bought for the purpose of being able to navigate in snow, and after they were bought, we didn't get a snowfall over a foot until Snowmageddon in 2010, in which *nothing* could drive, and precious little since then save for the not-even-a-foot we got this winter. Second, within the first few months, my mother's car's gas tank got punctured by a brake shoe that got lost off a truck that she couldn't avoid (loving freaky odds of that happening, too). Before *that*, my father's Tuscon was hit by an out-of-control old man who bounced off of a support column on building he worked in at the time, his car still having enough energy to put a hole the size of a softball in the driver's side door.

*His* Tuscon has been relatively trouble-free after the old man dicked up his door, but hers has had tons of little problems which seem to grow in frequency the closer the car inches to the 100k mark on mileage, usually in 5-7k increments between 'what's that' instances. She insists on bringing *both* cars back to the dealerships where they were bought, which is a bit of a jaunt from where they live, but she has enough of a rapport with the service department (quelle surprise) that they *mostly* don't gently caress with her anymore. Except recently, when after green-lighting the steering column as 'good' in the prior check (done by them, mind you), suddenly after only around 10k miles driven, everything's 'in the red,' and the repair's going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of ~$1100. Seeing as the steering column is one of those things you never want to hear is going bad, as it's pretty important, she asks if the car is drivable and of course, "yeah, but you're *definitely* gonna want to get that fixed."

By some minor miracle, she's able to out-logic them into admitting that the steering column shouldn't have gone bad in such a short amount of time since *they* checked it out as being in good condition, so they 'appeal to Hyundai' and a week later, ~$1100 becomes $0 due to Hyundai (supposedly) agreeing to subsidize most of the cost as a "nuisance repair" case*. The car already has a history of a defect (a 'clunking' noise in turns or when the wheel is cocked ~30+ degrees or more going over the lip of something like a driveway) that they took the better part of two years to figure out 1) what it was, and 2) how to fix it, and they still haven't quite nailed down #2 since even after it's "fixed," after a while it starts 'clunking' again.

The saddest part of this story? It's about time for my mother, at least, to consider getting a new car. *I'm* considering a Subaru Legacy, because I like the price, the amenities, the look, and the fact that it sounds like if I just keep up with the routine maintenance and do oil changes a bit more frequently, they don't give you a lot of trouble. I'm desperately trying to convince her to get an Outback, despite it being a bigger car with a slightly bigger price tag, but her excuse for not listening yet?

"But the warranty's not as good."

DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI. Seriously, whenever you ask a Hyundai owner who hasn't lost that misty-eyed wonder about their cars being 'covered' for so long, it reminds me of the 'warranty' spiel from Tommy Boy.

* she was *told* Hyundai was covering the cost as a 'nuisance repair' - she was never sent (or shown) a letter from corporate or anything. When she went to pick up the car, the invoice said they'd only performed an oil change on the car. I've told her to go to another general purpose mechanic *I* use and get them to check out the steering assembly and see if they ever did any work on the loving car at all, or were just trying to steal her money.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 27, 2015

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Audi had very solid service with loaners that they would bring and exchange with your car wherever you wanted and alway tried their best to fix whatever little things I asked, even just little things like aligning the trunk a tiny bit better or replacing an out of warranty switch for free. Acura and Lexus had the same but their extra bonus was that you could pick the loaners because they had a fleet with a couple of every model so it was fun to try new models of everything for a day or two. MB was pretty bad in the two times I dealt with them because the first I was refused a loaner and the second I had the MAF go on my E55 and they told me it'd be two weeks for them to schedule an appointment to replace it plus they wanted me to tow the car in. I looked it up and spent 15 minutes doing it in my driveway against their very stern warnings not to try. Subaru was a standard no-loaner kind of shop and they did terrific work at way lower prices than typical but I think it was just that particular dealer being run by Good Dudes. Every BMW dealer I've been in to test drive has been awful in every way and I'll never buy a BMW in the Cleveland area because I'd have to visit and rely on those fucks.

Jeep, I hope I never have to find out because I don't have high hopes coming from Audi :ohdear:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

steering column

How the hell does a steering column go bad? Isn't it just a piece of metal?

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Because it has a universal joint at either one end or both.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, mine does this too.

Except it's a 1998 XJ with 200k on it.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is the genesis coupe at least not terrible? I don't know anyone with one, but I see some parked at the university that some kids' parents bought for them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Is the genesis coupe at least not terrible? I don't know anyone with one, but I see some parked at the university that some kids' parents bought for them.

We're not exactly making GBS threads on the *cars* so much as the *service*. But I've come to realize that when it comes to cars, when someone offers you a warranty as long as Hyundai does, generally it's because they know if they didn't, they'd be spending way more on class-action lawsuits and lemon law reimbursements.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Safety Dance posted:

Toyota recalled a bunch of Prius due to a single incident of fatigue due to poor metallurgy in steering column splines.i think they swapped about half a million under recall?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Funny you mention that...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI. Seriously, whenever you ask a Hyundai owner who hasn't lost that misty-eyed wonder about their cars being 'covered' for so long, it reminds me of the 'warranty' spiel from Tommy Boy.

* she was *told* Hyundai was covering the cost as a 'nuisance repair' -

Oh boy, I completely forgot about the "goodwill" repairs, probably because they did the fix, but the principal of calling something that should clearly be covered by warranty as "goodwill" is insulting. gently caress you and your bullshit of "goodwill" to avoid admitting liability.

As for the genesis, I've seen quite a few locally, but all I've heard is the owners complaints after they got rid of them. But that's mostly from the tuner/hellaflush wannabe crew so I took it with a grain of salt, but after my Veloster experience, I'm more inclined to think their issues weren't self induced.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 27, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bajaha posted:

As for the genesis, I've seen quite a few locally, but all I've heard is the owners complaints after they got rid of them. But that's mostly from the tuner/hellaflush wannabe crew so I took it with a grain of salt, but after my Veloster experience, I'm more inclined to think their issues weren't self induced.

Hyundai is at a point where they're seeking to move beyond just making boring reliable econo boxes and if they're not careful they are going to get a terrible long lasting reputation in the process.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What is this reliability you speak of?

The Excel is what laughed them into the land of "they can't make anything reliable". Most of the world has forgotten about the Excel (which exceled at nothing except breaking constantly), but it was their first entrance into the US market.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
My dad had an excel he bought new, I remember the driver seat breaking twice (my dad is an average sized person, no behemoth), and it had a lot of electrical problems. It went through a few alternators and other electrical components including an ECU and was traded in for a mazda. I still liked it better than my mom's Sebring

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

What is this reliability you speak of?

The Excel is what laughed them into the land of "they can't make anything reliable". Most of the world has forgotten about the Excel (which exceled at nothing except breaking constantly), but it was their first entrance into the US market.

I knew the Excel would be brought up but I think they've shaken the shithouse reputation that brought at this point. Really I mean they're in danger of fostering a whole new terrible reputation that, once manifest, will have owners endlessly reminded of the Excel by their Dads.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

8ender posted:

Hyundai is at a point where they're seeking to move beyond just making boring reliable econo boxes and if they're not careful they are going to get a terrible long lasting reputation in the process.

I've noticed in the ads for the new Sonata they're not even bothering to mention their ~industry-leading~ warranty anymore. Gee, it's like they're trying to imply their cars don't *need* them desperately.

Again - if you want a 'different' option than an overpriced Honda or Toyota, and you aren't a fan of all the exotic types of plastic Nissan finds to build their cars out of, check out an Impreza or Legacy. The salesmen always seem absolutely giddy when someone comes in *not* looking to buy an Outback.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
My wife has a 2010 tuscon. She bought it with 29k on it and it has been perfect except for bad brake pedal sensor, which was re called, and it has a rattle. Dealer looked at rattle on a Saturday while we waited, couldn't find it and asked she return during the week when full techs there. Reasonable imo. Its the limited, feels ok and drives fine. My complaints are rattle which she needs to return to give them another shot and when Bluetooth links it announces it obnoxiously.
Shes put about 25k miles. I'd call it a fairly good car and the buying process was fixed price dealer and pleasant. Funny enough they sold her a full extended warranty but bought a point off the loan so the difference costs 7 bucks a month, worth it I think.
Test will be if they can fix the rattle. I asked around and other Hyundai owners had good things to say but that velolster a goon owned was just sad. Then again people seem to love their fiats and they are abysmal on the reliability chart.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!
My wife has a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe and our experience has been positive. 41k on it now and the only issues have been a piece of fabric on the drivers side door came unglued. They replaced the whole panel under warranty with no issues. Then at 39k there was a clunk in the front end going over bumps which ended up being a stabilizer linkage that was also replaced quickly and under warranty with no fuss.

Agreed on the bluetooth announcing itself way too loud.

I've had lots of issues with Ford recommending 6k+ worth of nonsense work to my F150 when all I did was bring it in for an alignment.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I had a co-worker with a Santa Fe, but this was back in 07, and the Santa Fe was an 05 I think, which her parents had co-signed for her to buy new. That pile of poo poo was nothing but trouble for her, and even though it was fully in warranty, it was constantly costing her money to get fixed for things that were somehow not in warranty. She desperately wanted to get rid of it, but every time she started to have some money saved up, it would cost her $500 or $800 or whatever to keep it running.

I'd never buy a Hyundai just based on her experience, given how much it cost her to keep running while it was supposedly under warranty. I didn't know her well enough to try to interfere with the dealerships working on it, and her fiancee just caved to whatever the dealer said every time, and her parents (who were stupidly rich) believed in her making her own way to learn about life or whatever, so she ended up keeping it for quite a few years after I left there.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Usually I do my own work on my car, but having moved recently, I decided to let a local mechanic do the front bearings because I don't have a press yet. 4 months later and I go to do my brake rotors and every bolt he touched was hammered on with no regard for proper torque specs. I knew I was going to be in for a ride when my Milwaukee 1/2" battery gun took some time with the lug nuts. My caliper bracket bolts were on so tight the gun couldn't take one of them off. This thing takes off rusted subframe bolts and axle nuts like they were new, and that bolt was only supposed to be torqued to 59 ft-lbs. I get that you can't look up the torque spec for every car that comes in the shop, but ffs, don't blast every loving bolt you touch with an impact wrench for 5 seconds. This is why I don't like when other people work on my cars, lesson learned.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

8ender posted:

My experience with the Audi dealer has been excellent. There is a strange thing going on with Audi / VW service though where Audi owners are ushered into a leather clad lounge with a stocked bar fridge and VW owners to something that looks like a DMW waiting room complete with plastic chairs and a take a number reel.

VW is really hit or miss in my experience. Most have been average (ie lovely), but I've found one (VW of West Houston) that is pretty amazing.

I hit a bag of sheet rock during a commute last year- it completely knocked the front lower valence and oil pan guard out of place, and put a little crack in my front bumper. I took it in looking for a quote to repair everything, and the service manager had a guy remove, clean and reinstall the valence and oil pan guard. He had a tech working on it for an hour and a half and didn't charge me a dime, and gave me a free wash and wax on top of that.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 8, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

When we dropped off my friend's Prius for a HV battery replacement, I noticed that the dealer had two alignment rigs embedded over their service entry area. Not with the full lift arrangement either - just mounted in the ceiling and pointed at two lanes of the driveway between the showroom and the service area. Seems like the accuracy problems inherent in that might help sell a lot more alignments.

Never go to BMW of Concord, CA for an alignment. They never get it right. I think my dad wasted so much money there. :( Never go to them for anything ever. I tried to bring a car back to them to fix their lovely work and their tech tried to start a fight with me saying he "worked there for 29 years and knows something about these cars" or something like that. It was just a headlight bulb that wasn't clipped in right. :facepalm: Anybody who has changed bulb on some modern cars know how annoying those wire clips can be. I took it to the dealer in Pleasanton (East Bay BMW?) and they fixed it in 5 minutes even though it wasn't their job and I didn't have an appointment or anything. Wouldn't even take a tip.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Gonna bring some real beer with me when I come, I want them to know what they are missing (I don't even really ever drink but I feel so bad for them.)

Kinda worried about the safety inspections they have in Utah. I know my XJ will pass the emissions tests as it's got a new exhaust system and isn't throwing codes, but it's spent so much time in MN salt that the passenger door is starting to disintegrate and there's yearly safety inspections. Don't want to have to get a new car because this thing is a perfect ski beater, it's mechanically sound, and I really want to take it to moab :getin:

A-don't worry too much about inspection. There's a huge jeep/4x4 community out here and there are plenty of inspection stations that cater to that crowd. But I wouldn't worry about that door anyway, they're mostly going to look at your headlights, tires, fenders, mudflaps if necessary, that sort of thing. When you move out here, find the Utah Jeepcrew facebook page. Lots of advice on shops, trails, parts, etc. A lot of the discussions that used to be on forums shifted to facebook late 2014 for some reason.

B-The beer here isn't bad, actually. There are several really good microbrews in the SLC area. The only reason the 3.2 rule will bite you is if you absolutely HAVE to have Budweiser from the grocery store. But there are definitely some really loving stupid rules (no kegs, the "Zion Curtain" in restaurants, etc).

C-There are decent jeep shops in SL and Utah Counties. Sounds like you've got a modernish XJ, so the real problem (finding a shop that can handle pre-computer vehicles) won't really be a hassle for you. I'm probably going to be trying my third shop in three years for a carb rebuild on the Corvette.

Edit:

Cakefool posted:

Toyota recalled a bunch of Prius due to a single incident of fatigue due to poor metallurgy in steering column splines.i think they swapped about half a million under recall?

This tells me they probably knew it about it beforehand and were waiting to see if it would really be a problem.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 9, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Godholio posted:

This tells me they probably knew it about it beforehand and were waiting to see if it would really be a problem.

Likely they used a batch of material on the lower end of one of its property limits but within spec, had a failure in either the field traced back to that batch(failure meaning threw a code in the e-steering and was replaced under warranty maybe), or in long term testing and recalled that batch. Extremely unlikely there was a steering failure or they knowingly used bad parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Godholio posted:

A-don't worry too much about inspection. There's a huge jeep/4x4 community out here and there are plenty of inspection stations that cater to that crowd. But I wouldn't worry about that door anyway, they're mostly going to look at your headlights, tires, fenders, mudflaps if necessary, that sort of thing. When you move out here, find the Utah Jeepcrew facebook page. Lots of advice on shops, trails, parts, etc. A lot of the discussions that used to be on forums shifted to facebook late 2014 for some reason.

B-The beer here isn't bad, actually. There are several really good microbrews in the SLC area. The only reason the 3.2 rule will bite you is if you absolutely HAVE to have Budweiser from the grocery store. But there are definitely some really loving stupid rules (no kegs, the "Zion Curtain" in restaurants, etc).

C-There are decent jeep shops in SL and Utah Counties. Sounds like you've got a modernish XJ, so the real problem (finding a shop that can handle pre-computer vehicles) won't really be a hassle for you. I'm probably going to be trying my third shop in three years for a carb rebuild on the Corvette.

That's really good to know - my headlights are a bit misaligned, but nothing a few sledgehammer blows can't fix. The PO wrecked one of the front fenders, put a hole in the front fascia, and disconnected the middle brake light, but I've got a new junkyard fender and rear wiring harness, plus if they try to fail my chunky 30" tires I can just swap in my barely-used winters which are sure to pass (I'm moving in Aug so it'll be close to winter tire time anyway).

We've actually got only 3.2 at the grocery stores here in MN too, I'm not sure why its offered there as I don't think I've every seen anyone buy beer from a supermarket.

• Locked thread