Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I've been running Plex on a first gen iPad for a few years now. For a long time we had a ton of problems with crashes just from simple browsing. Recently got a new server and wanted to purge the old cached posters. Since then, it's been running absolutely perfectly. Not a single crash since clearing the cache in the Plex app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Unacknowledged posted:

I've been running Plex on a first gen iPad for a few years now. For a long time we had a ton of problems with crashes just from simple browsing. Recently got a new server and wanted to purge the old cached posters. Since then, it's been running absolutely perfectly. Not a single crash since clearing the cache in the Plex app.

i just set mine up, it crashes when i try to play a movie from a playlist. playing the same movie from the main library, it doesnt crash.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Cornjob posted:

i just set mine up, it crashes when i try to play a movie from a playlist. playing the same movie from the main library, it doesnt crash.

Ah, I also made a playlist of movies the other day, it's pretty huge, about 300 movies or so. Whenever I open the playlist it just nopes right out and shuts down, forgot about that. Not sure what to say about the playlist, maybe if it's a large playlist make it smaller? Not sure, the first gen ipads definitely are showing their age in Plex, might not be available to you.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Unacknowledged posted:

Ah, I also made a playlist of movies the other day, it's pretty huge, about 300 movies or so. Whenever I open the playlist it just nopes right out and shuts down, forgot about that. Not sure what to say about the playlist, maybe if it's a large playlist make it smaller? Not sure, the first gen ipads definitely are showing their age in Plex, might not be available to you.

my playlist are not very big. 15-30 titles in them.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Does anyone else have any issues with subtitles not synching correctly when playing via separate SRT and MKV files?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

When I do I download a different subtitle file and it's fine

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else have problems with Plex on a Fire TV in the last few days? There was some thing a few days ago where the app was stuck in an endless loop of messages saying that you were required to purchase it but that you couldn't purchase it because you had already purchased it. They released an update that fixed that but now everything that I try to play just pops up an error message saying "Can't play this video".

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been having all sorts of stuttering issues the last few days. This software has never worked well remotely for me. My family members are always calling saying how it's skipping and buffering. However now it's skipping and buffering at home as well. I'm thinking of cancelling my plex pass and telling my family members to get hosed. No more free movies it's not worth it having to listen to dad complaining that "Man of Tai Chi" is skipping.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What fixed it for me was getting a better router and making sure the streaming bitrates were set correctly for everyone else.

Also upgrading my upstream to 20mbit helped.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah unless you have an unusually good home internet connection, serving movies to multiple users isn't really a reasonable expectation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

jonathan posted:

I've been having all sorts of stuttering issues the last few days. This software has never worked well remotely for me. My family members are always calling saying how it's skipping and buffering. However now it's skipping and buffering at home as well. I'm thinking of cancelling my plex pass and telling my family members to get hosed. No more free movies it's not worth it having to listen to dad complaining that "Man of Tai Chi" is skipping.

What are your internet upload speeds like and what are the specs of your Plex server?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I originally used a c2d box which barely could keep up, and my i7 works very well internally.

External peeps needed to limit themselves to the lowest 720p stream and if more then one did I sometimes needed to go lower on my cable 10mbit up. My speed with QOS was less then advertised.

Since switching to FiOS 50/50 I can push multiple 1080p streams our no problem.

If your server chokes, try UPping the b it rate to give you a direct stream, this just eats bandwidth depending on source size.

But a large movie sized down to low nitrate will eat CPU cyes

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sellouts posted:

What fixed it for me was getting a better router and making sure the streaming bitrates were set correctly for everyone else.

Also upgrading my upstream to 20mbit helped.

withak posted:

Yeah unless you have an unusually good home internet connection, serving movies to multiple users isn't really a reasonable expectation.

teagone posted:

What are your internet upload speeds like and what are the specs of your Plex server?

poo poo, I guess I thought I could just use this as an idiot proof way to allow my dad to watch movies while he recovers from an aortic valve replacement.

Internet connection is decent, I just figured the plex client was smart enough to reduce bandwidth if it's skipping etc.

The server is an Intel i3 NUC with 4gb ram. It was working perfectly for me over the local network which is a 300mbit 5ghz wireless at it's bottleneck and gigabit wired everywhere else. But now the last few days it doesn't even play well locally.

Edit:

Opened up resource monitor, I have a 10GB high bitrate rip transcoding down to 3mbit/720p on the local network. It's playing on a Google Nexus player and it's skipping. Server ram usage is 50%, cpu bouncing between 30% - 42%, and disk usage seems fine.

The Nexus Player can transfer files to it at 8MB/sec. I wonder if it's the Nexus Player choking up on the decode ? I can play the raw MKV's through kodi off my NAS perfectly.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 8, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It is an idiot proof way. You just need to set it up for them one time.

I set my parents up last year and its running fine. I just had to make sure the steaming settings were appropriate for both their and my internet.

To me, the search is over now that I can buy a fire tv stick, sync to my Amazon account, download, install and configure plex, and put it in the mail for them to plug and play for under 50 dollars. If other hardware doesn't work it's not worth the value of time spent troubleshooting in my opinion.

Just my experience, I'm sure others have had issues with the above setup.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

withak posted:

Does anyone else have problems with Plex on a Fire TV in the last few days? There was some thing a few days ago where the app was stuck in an endless loop of messages saying that you were required to purchase it but that you couldn't purchase it because you had already purchased it. They released an update that fixed that but now everything that I try to play just pops up an error message saying "Can't play this video".

My in-laws got hit with this issue last week and after some digging I found out through their forums it was due to a bad update.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/148852-forced-to-buy-plex-pass/page-9#entry869267

Supposedly the fix is out there but some people are still having issues.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/151349-fire-tv-version-3910331-still-giving-activate-prompt/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That update was for the neverending purchase messages. This was something different; it happened after I got that update.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

jonathan posted:

poo poo, I guess I thought I could just use this as an idiot proof way to allow my dad to watch movies while he recovers from an aortic valve replacement.

Internet connection is decent, I just figured the plex client was smart enough to reduce bandwidth if it's skipping etc.

The server is an Intel i3 NUC with 4gb ram. It was working perfectly for me over the local network which is a 300mbit 5ghz wireless at it's bottleneck and gigabit wired everywhere else. But now the last few days it doesn't even play well locally.

Edit:

Opened up resource monitor, I have a 10GB high bitrate rip transcoding down to 3mbit/720p on the local network. It's playing on a Google Nexus player and it's skipping. Server ram usage is 50%, cpu bouncing between 30% - 42%, and disk usage seems fine.

The Nexus Player can transfer files to it at 8MB/sec. I wonder if it's the Nexus Player choking up on the decode ? I can play the raw MKV's through kodi off my NAS perfectly.

That upload is similar to mine. I share my Plex server with my brother/sister-in-law and 2 other families. I had them limit their Plex streams to 4Mbps 720p and they haven't had any issues watching stuff.

Can the Nexus Player not direct play/stream content served up from your Plex server, i.e,. play stuff without transcoding? My Moto G can direct stream MKV video when it's on my home network (it still transcodes audio). The only time I personally would want my server to transcode locally is if I'm playing something via the web browser, or syncing something to my phone/tablet. That Core-i3 should be fine enough to handle multiple 1080p streams, so dig into the settings in the Plex app on your Nexus Player and check to see if you can force direct play or direct stream. Also, assuming the Nexus player app is similar to the Android app, when a video is playing pause it, hit the gear icon, and tick "Display Information Overlay" to see if your audio/video is being transcoded or playing directly.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009

jonathan posted:

No more free movies it's not worth it having to listen to dad complaining that "Man of Tai Chi" is skipping.

Man, that's rude from your dad. The few people I've shared my library with, I asked them to let me know if they had issues so I could check my file, but in general, if it's not good for them, sorry, that's how life goes. Don't complain about free stuff.

That said, other than some very large bitrates and them not understanding how to select down, Plex has been a dream to use for me and for them. I couldn't be much happier with the entire 'ecosystem'

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Invisble Manuel posted:

Man, that's rude from your dad. The few people I've shared my library with, I asked them to let me know if they had issues so I could check my file, but in general, if it's not good for them, sorry, that's how life goes. Don't complain about free stuff.

That said, other than some very large bitrates and them not understanding how to select down, Plex has been a dream to use for me and for them. I couldn't be much happier with the entire 'ecosystem'

Im exaggerating. It's more like "Hey Jonathan any chance you could get plex to work ? I've been having issues for a few days"

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Anyone having issues with Plex this morning? All of a sudden it decided it couldn't connect outside of my network. I've gone through the normal stuff or resetting my box, router, checking ports, etc but can't find any issues.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

suddenlyissoon posted:

Anyone having issues with Plex this morning? All of a sudden it decided it couldn't connect outside of my network. I've gone through the normal stuff or resetting my box, router, checking ports, etc but can't find any issues.

It wasn't working last night when I went to bed even over my local network. I figured it was something on my end and haven't tried since, but... maybe?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
im streaming over local right now, no issues.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So my prior complaints about plex unable to stream locally or remotely... They're still an issue however I found out if I reboot my plex server it will stream fine even at 1080p for 2 days or so. I am not sure if just restarting the service works. Could this be a memory leak ?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

jonathan posted:

So my prior complaints about plex unable to stream locally or remotely... They're still an issue however I found out if I reboot my plex server it will stream fine even at 1080p for 2 days or so. I am not sure if just restarting the service works. Could this be a memory leak ?

Sounds like it to me

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anyone know if there is a way to force the android app to refresh regularly? Every time I open the app I have to go through the menu and hit refresh to get new stuff to show up. It is on a Fire TV if that matters.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

It appears that my Server settings page just silently updated and there are some new features. Did this happen to anyone else?

edit: Plex tweeted me an answer that the web player got updated: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/46075-plex-web/page-7#entry889563

According to the logs I lost connection outside of my network right after the update went through. I had to stop the server, "disconnect remote access" in the connection settings, then restart it in order to get it to work again.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 25, 2015

SlightlyLost
Feb 24, 2015

Who let out the magic smoke?
I routinely drive to/from work with plex playing episodes that I am only listening to. I haven't found an obvious way to disable the video portion.

It occurred to me that it would suit me to play only the audio stream, and play it in the background (like the music player, or pandora/spotify/etc) and have the nav system running in the foreground.

Can anyone think of a way around this that doesn't involve transcoding 100+ episodes into an audio-only format? Have I missed something?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If anyone is looking for a new Plex server, the TS140 is $200 on Newegg atm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2MR4700&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSRNCFWKPJWX-_-9SIA24G2MR4700-_-Product Just need to add hard drives and OS.

SlightlyLost posted:

I routinely drive to/from work with plex playing episodes that I am only listening to. I haven't found an obvious way to disable the video portion.

It occurred to me that it would suit me to play only the audio stream, and play it in the background (like the music player, or pandora/spotify/etc) and have the nav system running in the foreground.

Can anyone think of a way around this that doesn't involve transcoding 100+ episodes into an audio-only format? Have I missed something?

I've never used Plex for music since I stream everything now, but have you tried creating a Music Library on your Plex server and adding your media there? I'm not sure if that would only playback/transcode the audio though.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 5, 2015

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

teagone posted:

If anyone is looking for a new Plex server, the TS140 is $200 on Newegg atm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2MR4700&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSRNCFWKPJWX-_-9SIA24G2MR4700-_-Product Just need to add hard drives and OS.
Aw drat. Wish I had checked this the other day. That's a hell of a deal. Maybe it'll get back in stock before the 11th?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

teagone posted:

I've never used Plex for music since I stream everything now, but have you tried creating a Music Library on your Plex server and adding your media there? I'm not sure if that would only playback/transcode the audio though.

How well does that work adding hard drives to a 280W fixed machine? How many are people reporting they can run?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

porkface posted:

How well does that work adding hard drives to a 280W fixed machine? How many are people reporting they can run?

I set up a Plex platform for a friend using a TS140 and installed 2 internal 3TB hard drives in it, and she hooked up an external USB 3.0 2TB drive. Works just fine.

Ohvee posted:

Aw drat. Wish I had checked this the other day. That's a hell of a deal. Maybe it'll get back in stock before the 11th?

Yeah, considering a Core i3-4330 processor goes for about $130ish alone, it's a really good deal. $199 is the lowest I've seen a brand new TS140 go.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 8, 2015

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

teagone posted:

Yeah, considering a Core i3-4330 processor goes for about $130ish alone, it's a really good deal. $199 is the lowest I've seen a brand new TS140 go.
I just noticed that it's sold through newegg by a third party. Going to their website they have this listed. Is this the same thing/still a good deal?
http://www.antonline.com/p_Lenovo--70A4000FUX--Lenovo-ThinkServer-TS140-70A4---Core-i3-4330-3.5-GHz---4-GB---0-GB-_1103382.htm

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I bought one from their eBay store about 4 days ago for 199. I'll report back when I receive it but it was well regarded from other suggestions.

teagone posted:

I set up a Plex platform for a friend using a TS140 and installed 2 internal 3TB hard drives in it, and she hooked up an external USB 3.0 2TB drive.

Mind sharing what os you used? I've been waffling between xpenology and freenas.

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 8, 2015

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

savesthedayrocks posted:

I bought one from their eBay store about 4 days ago for 199. I'll report back when I receive it but it was well regarded from other suggestions.

Mind sharing what os you used? I've been waffling between xpenology and freenas.

I'm using Xpenology on the server I built with a Xeon processor. I did it because I had previously used Synology and was more comfortable continuing to use it that learning how to use FreeNAS as it scared the poo poo out of me. It's worked well but it's not without hiccups. For example, just this past weekend I finally upgraded to DSM 5.1. I had to wait this long (and keep my fingers crossed) because they were unable to figure out the bugs/security features for months and when they did, they still had issues. Just over the past couple of weeks has it become somewhat stable, enough that I'd risk my data for it.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go for FreeNAS though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don't forget about UnRAID too. It's pretty much designed for people with lots of HDDs using it as a media server.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

learning how to use FreeNAS as it scared the poo poo out of me.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go for FreeNAS though.

This is exactly my hold up. I'm moving from a windows home server where I had to learn nothing. Thanks for the advice.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I think I'm going to grab one of those servers from ebay. I'm sick of having my desktop on all of the time and want a repository for files on the network. I'll probably just go with FreeNAS. If I grab two 3 gig SATA drives will I be good to go for now? I read somewhere that I should dedicate a small drive to the O/S. So any recommendations would be appreciated.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Just fyi, Tested did a feature on building a FreeNAS-based home server: http://www.tested.com/tech/500455-building-home-server-using-freenas/

Not a lot of details, but it could provide a good starting point.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

This is exactly my hold up. I'm moving from a windows home server where I had to learn nothing. Thanks for the advice.

Just use windows then. I am using Windows 8.1 + drivepool and its been awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

savesthedayrocks posted:

I will say that I took a spare computer home from work and got it up and going without much trouble. Even had a few jails/plugins. My worry was more based on "what if?" because of the scary poo poo that comes out of the freenas forum.