Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Slate Action posted:

CSM faked his own death so that he could retire and focus on his writing career.

I wonder what his pen name would be?

Raul Bloodworth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Exploder posted:

At this point, I too am totally fine with an unabashed retcon of the finale. Hell, they can retcon the last two or three seasons of the mytharc while they're at it. Like I said earlier, they can use comic book logic and say it's "a different universe". Either way, it would be more conducive to writing a better story than considering it all canon and trying to explain CSM's death/re-birth.

The last season or so of the show is really the thing that makes any sequel so difficult, both between where they left the mytharc and how many of the supporting characters got killed.

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free

killhamster posted:

Can we just have six Darin Morgan episodes?

gently caress yes this needs to happen. The only downside to his writing was that it tended to deconstruct the overarching story a bit but considering the final two seasons and last movie that's the least of my concerns.

Edit: Obviously the story kind of deserved it because they didn't know what the hell they were doing but still.

Reaganball Z fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 4, 2015

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

Exploder posted:

At this point, I too am totally fine with an unabashed retcon of the finale. Hell, they can retcon the last two or three seasons of the mytharc while they're at it. Like I said earlier, they can use comic book logic and say it's "a different universe". Either way, it would be more conducive to writing a better story than considering it all canon and trying to explain CSM's death/re-birth.

I wish they would, but they won't. Spotnitz said in a Reddit AMA a couple months back something along the lines of William being an important part of the mythology that they wanted to address again. So I think come hell or high water they are dead set on continuing with the horrible thread seasons 7-9 followed mythology wise.

I rewatched "The X-Files: I Want to Believe" today and I didn't hate it because it didn't have aliens or the conspiracy. I hated it because it's a horrible movie. I'm hoping that the relaunch doesn't rehash the same story with Dr. Scully and recluse Mulder. Hopefully they can think of way to jump into things but it will be hard to do unless they just totally pretend the second movie didn't happen.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I really hope they use the comics material because, aside from doing all the setup work already, the last issue just revealed the main villain. It's a grown up Gibson Praise. It's not to say I don't want to see what the old writers have in store after taking a decade break but if they're really going to continue the threads of season 8 and 9 I don't have high hopes.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 5, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What is it about tv continuation comics using characters and plots from the show for their big reveals? It's like they think of themselves as lesser than, or illegitimate in comparison to, the tv show that made them and so they just rehash what's familiar from the show. If you're really Season 10, though, own it and make some new characters and stories. I mean, I'm curious about what the flukeman has been up to all these years, but you can do new stuff too. It's not like the show ever went up its own rear end rehashing stuff, although in a way I would have really preferred that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

I mean, I'm curious about what the flukeman has been up to all these years,

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but I think this actually was one of the first stories the season 10 comic did.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jack Gladney posted:

What is it about tv continuation comics using characters and plots from the show for their big reveals? It's like they think of themselves as lesser than, or illegitimate in comparison to, the tv show that made them and so they just rehash what's familiar from the show. If you're really Season 10, though, own it and make some new characters and stories. I mean, I'm curious about what the flukeman has been up to all these years, but you can do new stuff too. It's not like the show ever went up its own rear end rehashing stuff, although in a way I would have really preferred that.

When it comes to the mythology poo poo they always reused old characters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bobkatt013 posted:

When it comes to the mythology poo poo they always reused old characters.

For example, Smoking Man got shot by a sniper then magically got better, thrown down a staircase with his wheelchair and left for dead and magically got better, then got literally blown up by helicopter rockets and apparently magically got better since he's coming back for this.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just watched Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose. Holy poo poo that was good stuff.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just loving want Krycek, I miss him man.

I miss him.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Seriously, he is the one character you can bring back with no explanation. You don't to go into any details, or hint at everything, just have him show up in the blue back from the grave because he escapes everything, even death.

Alternatively you could dedicate an entire standalone episode from his pov on how he escaped from hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Krycek even had a part in the finale because Mulder was hallucinating that all the people who died looking for the Truth came back to give him advice/loom over him creepily. No reason that couldn't continue in the new season. Of course I posted a page or two ago about how in "T.V. language" Krycek is as dead as it gets so I guess this would be a middle-ground.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Krycek even had a part in the finale because Mulder was hallucinating that all the people who died looking for the Truth came back to give him advice/loom over him creepily. No reason that couldn't continue in the new season. Of course I posted a page or two ago about how in "T.V. language" Krycek is as dead as it gets so I guess this would be a middle-ground.

You think a little thing like death would stop Krycek?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Cancer Man should be brought back the same way the Master comes back on Doctor Who after being killed, this time for real, undeniably, no doubts in anyone's mind, honest: have him simply show up as if nothing's happened, and if anyone calls him on the fact that he was last seen dying screaming in flames, he just chuckles mockingly before swiftly moving on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Cancer Man should be brought back the same way the Master comes back on Doctor Who after being killed, this time for real, undeniably, no doubts in anyone's mind, honest: have him simply show up as if nothing's happened, and if anyone calls him on the fact that he was last seen dying screaming in flames, he just chuckles mockingly before swiftly moving on.

This is pretty much how they handled his first two deaths.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The second movie was all about paving the way to bring CSM back as a head sewn onto a dog's body.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Stare-Out posted:

The second movie was all about paving the way to bring CSM back as a head sewn onto a dog's body.

A head sewn onto Krycek's body

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It will turn out they uploaded themselves to the internet like that one lady in that one episode to survive.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

All six episodes will serve as a sequel to First Person Shooter.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I would cry

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mr.capps posted:

It will turn out they uploaded themselves to the internet like that one lady in that one episode to survive.

Turns out Harsh Realm was an X-Files sequel all along!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

A head sewn onto Krycek's body

But on his shoulder next to Krycek's head, so they can bicker about where to get lunch or what will happen on Krycek's date later that day.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I want to see Krycek get slapped around by Skinner for an entire episode. Like there's no plot or anything; it's just Krycek going about his day, maybe buying groceries and stuff, and every now and then Skinner pops up and decks him for like, no reason. Maybe Krycek goes to see a movie and Skinner sits behind him and dumps popcorn on his head and kicks his seat for a bit before punching him and walking out.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Quote-Unquote posted:

I want to see Krycek get slapped around by Skinner for an entire episode. Like there's no plot or anything; it's just Krycek going about his day, maybe buying groceries and stuff, and every now and then Skinner pops up and decks him for like, no reason. Maybe Krycek goes to see a movie and Skinner sits behind him and dumps popcorn on his head and kicks his seat for a bit before punching him and walking out.

Can we get a Kickstarter going for this?

Also, yeah. I would say the optimal thing for the remake would be to explain nothing, at all, about the time jump, or the conspiracy, or whatever. Just make some good X-Files episodes.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm aware that my desire to see Krycek repeatedly get the poo poo kicked out of him might seem an irrational attitude to have towards a fictional character. I also feel the same way about James from Twin Peaks and that teleporting ginger extra in Ghostbusters.

I was sad when Nicholas Lea showed up in Burn Notice as a mob boss and nothing bad happened to him. Actually, thinking about it, a Burn Notice/X-Files crossover would be awesome.
"My name is Fox Mulder. I used to be a criminal profiler, until..."
"It's your sister Samantha. She's been abducted by aliens."
*whistling sound*
"When you're on the X-Files, you've got quite a lot. You're seemingly answerable to nobody and have an unlimited travel budget. You take whatever paranormal cases come your way..."
"Someone's been abducted, Mulder"
"You rely on anybody that's still talking to you: a smoking hot doctor-turned-FBI Agent. A mysterious informant that was friends with your dad. Family too, if you're desperate. And a veteran assistant director you met along the way. Bottom line? As long as you're on the X-Files, you're not going anywhere".

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 11, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

For example, Smoking Man got shot by a sniper then magically got better, thrown down a staircase with his wheelchair and left for dead and magically got better, then got literally blown up by helicopter rockets and apparently magically got better since he's coming back for this.

The way I see it, only WE the viewers saw CSM die. Unreliable narrator. Nobody "in universe" saw him die; they just shot some rockets in cave, called it a day, and flew away.

Here's how you retcon it:

INTERVIEW ROOM
HELICOPTER PILOT: "Yeah, I flew that mission. We flew by the cave, launched missiles. We were told 100% the target was in there"
Flashback shows what pilot believed happened--clip of CSM in cave being immolated.
"The mission was a success, target destroyed. We flew back to base."
Clip rewinds, revealing the missiles being fired on an empty cave. Camera pulls back to view behind one way mirrored wall of interrogation room, where we see a suited hand reach into a pack of MORELYS, take out a cigarette, and light it up...

BOOM :smug:

Also I was watching T:2 today and I want to once again reiterate that I unironically can't wait for Dogget to come back. :dance:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Astroman posted:

The way I see it, only WE the viewers saw CSM die. Unreliable narrator. Nobody "in universe" saw him die; they just shot some rockets in cave, called it a day, and flew away.

Here's how you retcon it:

INTERVIEW ROOM
HELICOPTER PILOT: "Yeah, I flew that mission. We flew by the cave, launched missiles. We were told 100% the target was in there"
Flashback shows what pilot believed happened--clip of CSM in cave being immolated.
"The mission was a success, target destroyed. We flew back to base."
Clip rewinds, revealing the missiles being fired on an empty cave. Camera pulls back to view behind one way mirrored wall of interrogation room, where we see a suited hand reach into a pack of MORELYS, take out a cigarette, and light it up...

BOOM :smug:

Also I was watching T:2 today and I want to once again reiterate that I unironically can't wait for Dogget to come back. :dance:

Or this alternate option:

HELICOPTER PILOT: That was like ten years ago! Who remembers anything that happened back then? Helicopter flight season comes and goes so fast I can't always keep everything straight. I prefer to think of my best seasons that were a good three-to-five years before that. You know, 1994 until about 1998 or '99. Maybe I went on missile-shooting missions after that, but who cares? Why would anyone want to remember that?

HELICOPTER PILOT looks directly into camera and nods slowly with arched eyebrows.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Personally, I'm hoping for the return of Jose Chung.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Personally, I'm hoping for the return of Jose Chung.

But he was killed by the Nostradamus Nutball.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Jose Chung's From Beyond the Grave

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

How can we have it without CNR?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
Irresistible is so good, it's a shame it follows so soon after the Ascension arc.

e: Granted, this is explicitly touched on and it makes sense thematically. It's just jarring.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 13, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

But he was killed by the Nostradamus Nutball.

As if that matterred in a Jose Chung episode.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
I was also lucky enough to catch The Enigma (Humbug's "The Conundrum") during a Show Devils act and have him sign my copy of Katherine Dunn's book, Geek Love. It's my very meta X-Files keepsake.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
gently caress yes. Very happy, indeed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
We only need Bill Clinton's portrait and we're set.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kurtofan posted:

Just put an Obama one next to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

And Janet Reno.

• Locked thread