Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

bitcoin bastard posted:

notepad.exe is basically part of microsoft office because im constantly using it to strip out all of the dumbass formatting mistakes ms office makes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

bitcoin bastard posted:

lol at all these single space between sentence havers, maybe save up for a few months and get a bigger SSD if youre worried about all those wasted bytes U POORS

this betrayed a pretty deficient understanding of rule 36, pls do not apply without rectifying this

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

this betrayed a pretty deficient understanding of rule 36, pls do not apply without rectifying this

sorry about your tiny budget/ssd

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
i love my fat gay IDE drive

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

TinyMCE has plugins explicitly to do this which we make use of extensively at work. seriously gently caress you Microsoft stop assuming I want your long dashes and inverted "'s

my current work is writing poo poo to detect and strip out these loving characters from sharepoint filenames
who the gently caress decided it was okay to allow Unicode zero width and RTL characters in filenames

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Maybe putting two spaces between sentences is an affectation like using a pocket watch or wearing a hat?

What markup you use doesn't seem to improve the organization or content of the wiki. I don't expect any of my fellow engineers to be brilliant at organizing content, I assume that's a skill you need training in, but it seems rare for anyone to even bother trying to add content or get beyond complaining about how they searched for something and the information they wanted wasn't the first search result. Maybe voluntarily writing down stuff that only you know is reducing your job security??

ahmeni posted:

who the gently caress decided it was okay to allow Unicode zero width and RTL characters in filenames

RACIST

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bitcoin bastard posted:

notepad.exe is basically part of microsoft office because im constantly using it to strip out all of the dumbass formatting mistakes ms office makes

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
https://stupidhackathon.github.io
wasn't a joke. why isn't it a joke?

quote:

This is an independently organized event, hosted with the support of the Noisebridge community. Please feel free to contact us at stupidhackathon@mit.edu with any questions or comments.
organized by someone with a MIT email address, hosted by noisebridge. there will probably be no dissonance or corruption of vision whatsoever.

quote:

Noisebridge's anti-harassment policy will, of course, be in full effect for the duration of the hackathon. Noisebridge's community standards also provide useful guidelines one would do well to mind. Be excellent to each other.
This will, of course, be extremely effective. Someone poo poo on the community standards

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
markdown is the esperanto of computer languages

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
from elementary school through college we were taught to do two spaces after a sentence so it's ingrained into my brain. gently caress y'all

also markdown sucks because it doesn't offer any easy way to block format things like code. reddit's is such hot garbage

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

from elementary school through college we were taught to do two spaces after a sentence so it's ingrained into my brain. gently caress y'all

you and i were taught that only because our teachers learned to type on typewriters.

boomers forcing their habits onto their children.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
lol if you were taught how to type and weren't just given a game where you typed letters to make people row a boat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

lol if you were taught how to type and weren't just given a game where you typed letters to make mario jump on turtles

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Boxturret posted:

lol if you were taught how to type and weren't just given a game where you typed letters to make people row a boat

i learned how to type in middle school on the worst keyboard ever made

the one that shipped with the LCII

that squishy one

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

if you didn't learn how to type with a black screen and a blinking cursor then i don't even

i mean

it's not like i'm actually going to tell you to gtfo because that's like picking on the loud retarded kid at the burger king

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

unless 'learn to type' implies learning to type according to a method rather than just whatever you end up doing without instruction

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

if you didn't learn how to type with a black screen and a blinking cursor then i don't even

i mean

it's not like i'm actually going to tell you to gtfo because that's like picking on the loud retarded kid at the burger king

duTrieux. posted:

unless 'learn to type' implies learning to type according to a method rather than just whatever you end up doing without instruction

yeah i was using dos when i was like 2 to launch sesame street games and such, but formal touch typing stuff was on some windows 3.1 program running on 95 at school

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
playing MUDs over a telnet client where i had to command-h to backspace taught me how to type

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
my high school bought a bunch of pentiums with 75 MHz or whatever processors but no hard drives, so we had to pass boot floppies around to get dos going on those puppies so we could gently caress around with some version of WordPerfect that didn't support mouses... good thing cause we didn't have mouses

this was 1996.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I learned to touch type on my own as a kid so it's probably dead easy because I was a stupid kid.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mavis beacon is why i have a thing for women in business suits critiquing my typing

it could be worse, i could be one of those people who feel that way about reader rabbit

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Boxturret posted:

lol if you were taught how to type and weren't just given a game where you kill zombies by typing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

my high school bought a bunch of pentiums with 75 MHz or whatever processors but no hard drives, so we had to pass boot floppies around to get dos going on those puppies so we could gently caress around with some version of WordPerfect that didn't support mouses... good thing cause we didn't have mouses

this was 1996.

in 96 our school district got a full fiber backbone up between and within schools and to the internet and as far as i know it's still the same basic setup today only with support for much faster speeds. and all the windows 95 computers back then were equipped with 100 megabit ethernet.

i think there must have been some sort of kickback to a school board member's networking company for it tbh

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Sniep posted:

i learned how to type in middle school on the worst keyboard ever made

the one that shipped with the LCII

that squishy one

same, but attached to Mac Classic as well

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I learned to type on amigas in grade 4 and then in high school I had to take a typing class taught on actual typewriters even though we had a computer lab in 1998

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

my school did not have a typing class because i did not go to school in the 1950s

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
i literally learned to type in a room full of typewriters. i'm 32

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

we had typewriters and computers. you either took typing or business computer applications and got to use ps/2s

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sweevo posted:

my school did not have a typing class because i did not go to school in the 1950s

well no we had a "computers!" class because it was the 90's and they were still new and the internet was still seen as a giant encyclopedia that would enrich the world instead of destroy it. typing was just one of the things we learned.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
we had a computer class where i mostly just played Sim Farm and Capitalist Pig and the teacher was real creepy and liked to try to give back massages

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PCjr sidecar posted:

mavis beacon is why i have a thing for women in business suits critiquing my typing

it could be worse, i could be one of those people who feel that way about reader rabbit

or a number munchers fetish

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
math blasters kink

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

duTrieux. posted:

you and i were taught that only because our teachers learned to type on typewriters.

boomers forcing their habits onto their children.

not just typewriters, printers and screens with fixed-pitched fonts. there was a day when so-called "letter quality" printers were considered more professional than dot matrix. this was also around the time that supporting 80-column text was a big deal in a personal computer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
using two spaces between sentences got you points off your grade throughout our school

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

eschaton posted:

not just typewriters, printers and screens with fixed-pitched fonts. there was a day when so-called "letter quality" printers were considered more professional than dot matrix. this was also around the time that supporting 80-column text was a big deal in a personal computer.

i remember being told in high school that my 9-pin dot matrix nlq print outs would not be accepted in college, only 24-pin or daisy wheel would do

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

dot matrix looked like dogshit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dolomite posted:

i remember being told in high school that my 9-pin dot matrix nlq print outs would not be accepted in college, only 24-pin or daisy wheel would do

did you want the graders to go blind squinting at your garbage papers?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

did you want the graders to go blind squinting at your garbage papers?

grad students deserve to suffer

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
my typing class was required but i was already a good typist because i was a loser nerd pc gamer, the entire class was just type up this entire typing book and save it on the server (this is in the ps/2 days, so hella advanced, you could play battle chess!). i just would hammer away at it hardcore and finished in like 6 weeks and the teacher let me go next door to the actual PC lab that Windows NT 4.0 and i could dick around in there for the rest of the semester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
in high school i tested out of the required computer skills class by taking the final exam, which was just formatting a word document, constructing a powerpoint, and then copying an excel sheet with a basic formula

• Locked thread