Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

Raleigh regional is 40 bucks. How much are other regionals?

$20 at WV. We're actually complaining about it in nova squadron. To be fair, if the demand is high enough it's justified, especially since there's limited seating, but lol I would love it if the resulting backlash and finding out the demand wasn't in fact high enough means a lower turnout and overall lower revenue. This store might normally cater to the magic crowd and they might be seeing this as a PTQ-type event with the resulting types of people who are willing to pay huge rates for a dream lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011

alg posted:

Ontario regional is 15. Regular tournaments in the area are 5-10 typically.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Regional in the UK I'm attending was around 8 dollars (5 pounds) :shrug:

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

I'm pretty sure the Pittsburgh regional was $15 both last year and will be this year. And it is usually $10 for our monthly tourneys here.

Mr. Nice Guys does pretty well with prize support though.

Edit: Most I have ever paid was $20, for a charity tournament.

Val Helmethead fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 8, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

An unintended side effect of charging more is that you'll drive out all the casuals and encourage the ~hardcore~ out of town people to come by. We can empirically see the effects in magic communities so the consumer is losing out on both surplus and externalities.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

Haha, what the gently caress. I don't know about spending 40 to be shoved into that tiny store. That's pretty absurd.

Edit: maybe if there's some crazy prize support or something.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 8, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Well, I contacted FFG. I've already registered to save me a spot, here's hoping for a refund. If I were traveling I would forget about it for sure.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

alg posted:

The one in Ontario is 13$ Canadian which is like 11$ Usd.

Dredge
Mar 18, 2009

The Gate posted:

Haha, what the gently caress. I don't know about spending 40 to be shoved into that tiny store. That's pretty absurd.

I may just be talking out my rear end here. But I was talking to the guy who is running the Regionals at Game Theory and due to the limited space they are capping registration to 64(ish?) people or something like that. He also mentioned that the Regional Promo Box that they had to buy was crazy expensive. And i think they bought 2. Perhaps that is the reason for the high entry fee?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Dredge posted:

I may just be talking out my rear end here. But I was talking to the guy who is running the Regionals at Game Theory and due to the limited space they are capping registration to 64(ish?) people or something like that. He also mentioned that the Regional Promo Box that they had to buy was crazy expensive. And i think they bought 2. Perhaps that is the reason for the high entry fee?

Yeah, I'm not even sure they actually have good space for 64. The owner says he's posting a full breakdown of the support, but for 40 bucks the payout would have to be a ton. I mean, 64x40 is over $2500, plus any sales they get from having a ton of customers in shop all day.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Thats bullshit and he is lying to you. You can't buy 2.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Gate posted:

Yeah, I'm not even sure they actually have good space for 64. The owner says he's posting a full breakdown of the support, but for 40 bucks the payout would have to be a ton. I mean, 64x40 is over $2500, plus any sales they get from having a ton of customers in shop all day.

Homeboy said they are closing the store for the day. It's still absurd, though.

I think they anticipated the backlash because as soon as I complained they private messaged me.

alg fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 8, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Meanwhile this just reminded me to preregister for the WV regional and they have space for close to 100 but are limiting it to 70 so we're not totally packed like sardines. And to keep room for the warhams that come in to play on saturdays I guess. It's also only $20.

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...
I've been trying to get a good Imperial Kath list going with the newer upgrades that makes triggering her ability easier. Gonna try this out:

Kath Scarlett (38) + Tactian (2) + Mangler Cannon (4) + Calculation (1)
Patrol Leader (40) + Ysanne Isard (4) + Rebel Captive (3) + Gunner (5) + Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

I was running her with a Soontir + Dark Curse, but I found that most people would just ignore Soontir and blow Kath up toute suite and then take their time with DC and Soontir. Another build I want to try on her is dropping Calculation and adding Marksmanship + Experimental Device. I'd also have to drop the APLs as well.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Halverine posted:

Well I just played the 5 Mango Scyks

EDIT: The more I think about it, I'd actually take back what I'd posted earlier. I keep thinking of the M3A as an arc dodger, but once you put secondary weapons on them they really don't fit into that role any more. I bet it's actually a really unique list to go up against. Against that Imperial set up though, you really, really need one good round at range 3 or you're probably doomed. I'm not sure what could help ensure that.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 8, 2015

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Anyone have a good B-Wing build for 30 or less points? I need to add 30 points for my escalation league, and I want more firepower than a super turtle A-Wing can supply.

As posted earlier, I already have Wedge with predator and Luke for a 2 X-Wing setup.

I am thinking a B-Wing with accuracy corrector or advanced sensors, and maybe torpedoes. I have also toyed with adding some cards to the x-wing, maybe R2-D2 to Luke, while just going with a bare B-Wing.

I really like the concept of the E-Wing, but I don't think It's worth the extra points. The 2 extra defense dice is at best an even trade for losing a shield and 2 hull.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Dagger Squadron
Advanced Sensors

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Orvin posted:

Anyone have a good B-Wing build for 30 or less points? I need to add 30 points for my escalation league, and I want more firepower than a super turtle A-Wing can supply.

As posted earlier, I already have Wedge with predator and Luke for a 2 X-Wing setup.

I am thinking a B-Wing with accuracy corrector or advanced sensors, and maybe torpedoes. I have also toyed with adding some cards to the x-wing, maybe R2-D2 to Luke, while just going with a bare B-Wing.

I really like the concept of the E-Wing, but I don't think It's worth the extra points. The 2 extra defense dice is at best an even trade for losing a shield and 2 hull.

If you want a B-Wing, don't put accuracy corrector on it. They don't have the defensive ability to really take advantage of it.

Blue squadron B-Wings with some sort of cannon and fire control systems are nasty. There's also the control minded B-Wing with an ion cannon, the e2 mod, tactician, and FCS, but that requires a bunch of different cards. Basically, B-Wings are sort of undercosted and are just good.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Orvin posted:

Blue Squadron
Heavy Laser Cannon

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

The Gate posted:

Unless prize support includes a crisp $20 bill just for entering, I don't see how it could be good enough.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dammit, the Raleigh store just said they were doing cash prizes for the event. Magic-like cash prizes. First place is $400. This game's going to start going down the drain once this behavior and expectation is normal, holy poo poo.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Chill la Chill posted:

Dammit, the Raleigh store just said they were doing cash prizes for the event. Magic-like cash prizes. First place is $400. This game's going to start going down the drain once this behavior and expectation is normal, holy poo poo.

The best prize for X-wing is bragging rights. Second best is promo cards.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They're going to take away our lunch breaks too, I tell you.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

That store sucks and is small, too. The only regional I have a chance of going to :/

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

That store sucks and is small, too. The only regional I have a chance of going to :/

Do they hold a lot of magic events? It would explain things.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, I might go still, but. Ugh, I have a bad feeling about the crowd that will show up. 400 bucks is enough for people to flip out about. Especially when they lose on dice rolls or something.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

*nudges dial against the board when opponent is busy measuring something*

Uh, you totally went off the board there dude.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

What are you guys thinking of flying for regionals? I'm def going for the Advanced if the Raider is out, otherwise I might still fly my soontir/whisper/bounty hunter list that did well in the store championship. I'm also gonna give the 3 Interceptor list a try since it sounds pretty cool.

If I'm not going Imperial, my second choice would probably be something involving Kavil, Kath and maybe another Y-Wing. Those Scum Y-Wings make me weak at the knees.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Same old. I've been painting up another Z so I could call them rainbow warriors.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

alg posted:

I love when small stores bullshit their way into getting a regional. Like the Wisconsin regional last year where people had to play in the next door Chinese restaurant and some sort of abandoned massage parlor because they had nowhere near enough room.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Cobbsprite posted:

The best prize for X-wing is bragging rights. Second best is promo cards.

I liked the way this one TO did it at one of the recent store tournaments I went to:
He took all the prize stuff, and make small piles according to how many players there were. Three piles had store gift cards (like $50 - $30 - $20), all piles had alt art Soontir Fel, a lot of the piles had the dice bags, and all others had what seemed like random promo stuff like acrylic cloak tokens, Range Rulers, Alt art cards like Nien Numb and Bombers and poo poo. First place picked the pile he wanted, then second picked and so on.

I somehow ended up with the alt art Soonit, acrylic cloak, dice bad, and alt art Boba Fett (that I sold on Ebay on $150).

Dead last place automatically got Soontir and a $15 gift cert.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Chill la Chill posted:

Same old. I've been painting up another Z so I could call them rainbow warriors.

Pics please.

On the topic of cash prize support- I'd be a-ok with FFG stepping in and saying "hey, none of that for store championships or regionals." If a store wants to just run some tournament of their own and have cash prizes, ok, but it seems to me like making it a normal thing for store champs and regionals is a surefire way to make "fly casual" a thing of the past.

enigmahfc posted:

I liked the way this one TO did it at one of the recent store tournaments I went to:
He took all the prize stuff, and make small piles according to how many players there were. Three piles had store gift cards (like $50 - $30 - $20), all piles had alt art Soontir Fel, a lot of the piles had the dice bags, and all others had what seemed like random promo stuff like acrylic cloak tokens, Range Rulers, Alt art cards like Nien Numb and Bombers and poo poo. First place picked the pile he wanted, then second picked and so on.

This is basically how my old FLGS handled things that weren't the store championship or Imdaar Alpha. I think it's great, especially with a smaller store or one with a growing X-Wing scene of folks who may not have had access to a ton of prize support previously.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't enjoy talking about prizes or how some of them fetch for a decent price (if you care to sell them) because doing so only attracts the bad people.

Veritek83 posted:

Pics please.

Sorry, dude. I'm trying, and I just bought new WN7s, but it's midterm season leading up to finals season. :(

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't enjoy talking about prizes or how some of them fetch for a decent price (if you care to sell them) because doing so only attracts the bad people.

I was just saying I liked this kind of set up because even the lower ranking people got some cool stuff. No One was left out. I only took the Boba Fett because I like using Boba Fett and didn;t always want to bring the over-sized card every time. I sold it after everyone was making a big stink about Fire Spray cards not having the little arrows for scum and promos, and because I like money more than the card.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zVxTeflon posted:

I love when small stores bullshit their way into getting a regional. Like the Wisconsin regional last year where people had to play in the next door Chinese restaurant and some sort of abandoned massage parlor because they had nowhere near enough room.

The guy who owns(? or manages?) the store replied in the big nova squad thread and he said there's enough room for 64 on doubled up tables, 128 regularly. I assume regularly means magic people. If the layout is like most magic stores, though, that probably means 128 really cramped people with barely any elbow room.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

They will definitely have to push merch out of the way. It's a small store.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

They will definitely have to push merch out of the way. It's a small store.

Yeah. I wish Atomic had gotten the regional honestly. It's probably ten times the size, and could probably seat 250 Magic players if need be. I've been in Warhammer tournaments there with around 100+ players and they didn't have to move anything for that really, and they take up double the table space X-Wing does.\

Edit: they also sell beer on tap

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The Gate posted:

Yeah. I wish Atomic had gotten the regional honestly. It's probably ten times the size, and could probably seat 250 Magic players if need be. I've been in Warhammer tournaments there with around 100+ players and they didn't have to move anything for that really, and they take up double the table space X-Wing does.\

Edit: they also sell beer on tap

Atomic has been consistently the best location for tournaments I've ever been too. It rivaled Worlds as far as event space goes. Worlds had better food though (and exclusives :D) I'm excited for the Netrunner event there this summer.

They would have probably won the bid for a regional there if local attendance was higher for X-Wing. I doubt they even submitted for it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Tomorrow I have the day off which means all day X-Wing at the game store. I have two Plano fold-out organizers full of $200+ of toy plastic space ships and way, way too many loving target lock tokens (seriously). I don't have any lists in mind, I've got so much stuff I don't even know where to start outside of that B-Wing setup I spitballed earlier, I'm just gonna go and slap stuff together on the fly and play space battles. Should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Kai Tave posted:

Tomorrow I have the day off which means all day X-Wing at the game store. I have two Plano fold-out organizers full of $200+ of toy plastic space ships and way, way too many loving target lock tokens (seriously). I don't have any lists in mind, I've got so much stuff I don't even know where to start outside of that B-Wing setup I spitballed earlier, I'm just gonna go and slap stuff together on the fly and play space battles. Should be fun.

Basically my plan every time.

• Locked thread