Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Coworker told me he received 40,000 dollars from a dead relative and lost it all on a single trade during the .com bubble.

Recently he told me he's thinking about getting into day trading again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

And he's going to a for-profit "university"...

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

If it's a large enough estate where that money is still floating around (not like we sold the house and have money) there might be some reasonable path to resolution. That might imply that the money not cashed made its way down to the other 3 siblings since it never left the parents bank account. The difference though is the stupid tax in this case would be that 30k is lower since it had to pass through estate taxes.

Obviously it's a retarded situation but workable to some degree. I'm assuming it was a smaller estate though and cash wasn't really pouring out in any degree making that 30k hurt even more.

That dude should be able to find the check on his States property that needs to be claimed website. Don't all states have these?

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Coworker told me he received 40,000 dollars from a dead relative and lost it all on a single trade during the .com bubble.

Recently he told me he's thinking about getting into day trading again.
Can't quit while you're down! That's letting the house win.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

No Butt Stuff posted:

That dude should be able to find the check on his States property that needs to be claimed website. Don't all states have these?

The state never got the money. It was probably a personal check that if never cashed the money never left the bank account. That's probably why the other siblings were asked to throw in, since their estate funds were higher because said moron never cashed the check years ago.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

Can't quit while you're down! That's letting the house win.

Yeah this is the same guy that can't afford obummercare but probably spends a few hundred bucks a month on lottery tickets.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

dietcokefiend posted:

If it's a large enough estate where that money is still floating around (not like we sold the house and have money) there might be some reasonable path to resolution. That might imply that the money not cashed made its way down to the other 3 siblings since it never left the parents bank account. The difference though is the stupid tax in this case would be that 30k is lower since it had to pass through estate taxes.

Obviously it's a retarded situation but workable to some degree. I'm assuming it was a smaller estate though and cash wasn't really pouring out in any degree making that 30k hurt even more.
I would agree that the money is in the estate, and disagree that the person deserves it. The parents knowingly didn't recut the check, and there was some story about the person returning the check to the parents. Probably because they're bad with money and have borrowed money many times. That's my guess.

Renegret posted:

uh, 250k for a house on a 30 year mortage is 250000 / (30*12) = $694.44/month in mortgages that seems perfectly reasonable to me and I don't see what the problem is.

*sticks fingers in ears*

Lol.

dietcokefiend posted:

The state never got the money. It was probably a personal check that if never cashed the money never left the bank account. That's probably why the other siblings were asked to throw in, since their estate funds were higher because said moron never cashed the check years ago.

Correct. It was very comical.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Being poor is bad with money.

I was in small claims court yesterday, as the plantiff, and won against a former friend. Loaned her money (no collateral) and she skipped town before paying it back. I'm bad with money.

There was a case before mine, that made me physically uncomfortable to be in the courtroom to watch. This poor girl, maybe 19 or 20 years old, was being sued by a used car dealer. Think of the whole used car salesman stereotype, greasy slicked back balding mullet, hawaiian shirt, jean shorts. He represented a lot that was one of those tote-the-note places that sells the shittiest used cars imaginable to the unsuspecting poor. Their website's main banner says "$500 Down, Drive off Today!".

Here's what I remember from the testimony:

• Girl buys car in January
  • Car breaks down 200 miles from home in February
  • Girl has car towed back to Dallas
  • Girl removes stereo system from car while it's in the tow yard
  • Girl stops payment on one of her checks, unclear if it was Feb. or March payment
  • Dealer repos the car in March
  • Dealer tows car back to dealership
  • Dealer has to repair vehicle (no stereo)

The judge asked if she had anything to counter what the dealer and his lawyer said. Her response "after I bought the car, I looked up the KBB value and it was way overpriced. And it was my stereo I had installed, I took it out and left the original one in the trunk". The judge just apologized but said "buyer beware, you should have done that research before".

Judgement for the plantiff: $3000 for car, at contracted interest before reposession, 5% interest after reposession, $800 for tow yard to release vehicle, $250 for tow from tow yard to dealer lot, $1500 for repairs, and $900 for attorneys fees.

And she doesn't have a car now.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 8, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
At least that's a pretty cheap lasting life lesson, all things considered.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

$6500 isn't a cheap life lesson at all when you're poor.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Inept posted:

$6500 isn't a cheap life lesson at all when you're poor.

The anecdote doesn't say anything about the girl's monthly income or future career prospects, and it's still way cheaper than a 60k for-profit degree, which plenty of poor people have.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Nail Rat posted:

You actually think she learned anything?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

she learned that the justice system is actually there only to adjudicate and enforce legal contracts to ensure the continued operation of the capitalist system for the benefit of the bourgeoisie, and has no interest in ethical or moral good imo.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I was doing some work for a used car dealership and in walks this very pissed off girl and her boyfriend. The girl bought a car from another used dealership 3 months ago and the engine seized up. She just left it on the side of the road and came straight to this dealership. The boyfriend put up $250 cash for 'sign of good faith' or some poo poo, then took a $12,000 loan under his name only for her to get a new car. Her name isn't even on the car.

When asked what she planned to do with the other car and the other loan, she said "they can go get the car, I'm done paying them."

TL;DR: I doubt the girl like 3 posts above this learned poo poo.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

SiGmA_X posted:

I'd like to hope so, but probably not :negative:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

More scummy used car dealership stories, please. These are good.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
They assessed $1500 to install a stereo? What's the usual rate for a stereo install, like $150?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Nail Rat posted:

Very cheap lesson for a 19 year old who at best makes 30k a year.

Oberleutnant posted:

she learned that the justice system is actually there only to adjudicate and enforce legal contracts to ensure the continued operation of the capitalist system for the benefit of the bourgeoisie, and has no interest in ethical or moral good imo.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Zool posted:

They assessed $1500 to install a stereo? What's the usual rate for a stereo install, like $150?

The car broke down, he didn't say from what, which is probably where most of the (probably incredibly inflated) repair fees came from.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah I feel bad for her and it sucks that a lot of business boils down to deceiving people who are ignorant for good reasons, like being young.

Anyway anyone remember that episode of king of the hill where it turned out hank had been buying cars at sticker price his whole life?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 8, 2015

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Zool posted:

The stereo was in the trunk, so I assume they tacked the cost of reinstalling it in the dash along with whatever caused the breakdown to happen. I didn't hear what the problem was, if they said it.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Oberleutnant posted:

haha

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I knew a girl in college who had an apartment 12 month lease through the end of the summer, but she didn't stay in town for the summer. She moved out in May and didn't pay June-August rent, assuming that because she didn't live there that it would be ok.

That girl is now a woman, and that woman is my wife.

I hope the poor girl in small claims learned the same lesson my wife did - just because you're done with a car or apartment doesn't mean you can stop paying for it, even if it seems unfair to you. You signed the contract, you gotta pay for it!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
http://www.youredm.com/2015/04/08/watch-diplo-2-chainz-drink-the-most-expensive-water-in-the-world/

quote:

We’ve heard of expensive taste, but this is just next level. GQ Magazine recently invited 2 Chainz and Diplo out to taste test some of the most expensive water in the entire world.

That’s right, for some odd reason water is becoming the new wine as mineral-infused aqua is all the rage for the 1%-ers. Clearly out of their element, 2 Chainz and Diplo were given the presentation of various waters that ranged in price, depending on their uniqueness.

While some bottles only cost $40 to $100, others were upwards of $100,000 US dollars.

I don’t know about you, but $100k for a bottle of water? are you serious?

Regardless, 2 Chainz and Diplo got the full treatment and after trying all the various waters, they both came to the same conclusion: we’ll stick to regular bottled water. It seems fame and riches hasn’t changed the two music star’s taste in water.

You can watch the taste test below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg3Mr6e1KMo

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

When you even get a rapper to endorse your lovely expensive product, it may be time to hang em up.

Tales Of Desire
Nov 5, 2009
A good friend of mine is also, unfortunately for her pocketbook, a horse person. For a while she had an older horse at a cut-rate barn, did some work around there to defray the costs even further, and all was pretty good with the world. But she really wanted a good horse, so she upgraded. Then she decided her upgraded horse needed an upgraded way of life. She pays more than 1k a month now to board her horse, which is not an insignificant portion of her income. And that's not all it costs to keep up a horse; they need chiropractors, farriers, get vet visits, etc. She had to get a second job to help cover the costs, and has to worry that they'll give her enough hours to keep up with the bills. She loving loves horses, but I'm pretty sure I look both horrified and fascinated whenever she talks about how much she's spending. Horses are bad with money.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Tales Of Desire posted:

Horses are bad with money.

Unless you're producing store brand frozen lasagne.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tales Of Desire posted:

A good friend of mine is also, unfortunately for her pocketbook, a horse person. For a while she had an older horse at a cut-rate barn, did some work around there to defray the costs even further, and all was pretty good with the world. But she really wanted a good horse, so she upgraded. Then she decided her upgraded horse needed an upgraded way of life. She pays more than 1k a month now to board her horse, which is not an insignificant portion of her income. And that's not all it costs to keep up a horse; they need chiropractors, farriers, get vet visits, etc. She had to get a second job to help cover the costs, and has to worry that they'll give her enough hours to keep up with the bills. She loving loves horses, but I'm pretty sure I look both horrified and fascinated whenever she talks about how much she's spending. Horses are bad with money.

Down near my daughter's middle school are multiple horse owners. Sometimes they ride them on the sidewalk. So I explained to my daughter that there are different types of wealth. There's House-Rich, Car-Rich, and then there's Horse-Rich. We do pretty good, but let's not kid ourselves. We'll never be Horse-Rich.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Tales Of Desire posted:

My wife just bought a horse. I thought when she said upkeep would be "like a car payment" she was kidding.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't think it is wise to own a pet that costs more to maintain than yourself, but that's just me.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I don't think it is wise to own a pet that costs more to maintain than yourself, but that's just me.

Agreed. Plus people who are really into horses always rub me the wrong way; they seem to be wired differently than "regular" non-horse loving people.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Down near my daughter's middle school are multiple horse owners. Sometimes they ride them on the sidewalk.

I was 2 cars behind a van going 40mph, a horse on the sidewalk got spooked, jumped out in front of the van, and the van ended up on top of the horse. The 8 year old girl on top of the horse managed to fall on the far side of the horse so the horses corpse was preventing the little girl from being crushed.

Owning a horse and riding it in town is bad with life.

Edit: And I just went looking for the police report and can't loving find it. It was unreal, and I'm not proud to say I was panicky. Managed to get the girl out from under the van with the other two riding retards that didn't get hit.

Double edit: Found it. Girl was apparently 15. Was my wife that small when she was 15?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 8, 2015

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

DoubleT2172 posted:

Agreed. Plus people who are really into horses always rub me the wrong way; they seem to be wired differently than "regular" non-horse loving people.

"I love horses" is a huge red flag for me in the dating world.

Tales Of Desire
Nov 5, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Down near my daughter's middle school are multiple horse owners. Sometimes they ride them on the sidewalk. So I explained to my daughter that there are different types of wealth. There's House-Rich, Car-Rich, and then there's Horse-Rich. We do pretty good, but let's not kid ourselves. We'll never be Horse-Rich.

See, this is what I always thought. But apparently if you're willing to be Everything-Else-Poor, you too can be Horse-Rich.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Please defer to Ruddha's wisdom on horses if you are considering riding, owning, or being near one

Ruddha posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that horses are stupider than poo poo and WILL kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions and adorn them in the right silly accessories so that they don't scare themselves and fall over dead, and even then at best you can reduce the chances that they will do that, but they're still absolutely going to. Women who are obsessed with horses are just as bad as ones who are obsessed with anything else, but it may be dumber because it's a placeholder for animalistic male sexuality; however, in reality, it doesn't hold up because dominant male sexual energy is incompatible with horse personality and tendencies because, again, they're absolutely going to kill themselves by accident, whereas studs and straight power tops are highly unlikely to catch their reflection in a mirror then break their leg and get eaten by a mountain lioness

Ruddha posted:

Babies grow up and that's okay, it's like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died

Ruddha posted:

Of course, if you don't nail little metal rings onto them, they'll split open, and then they'll die.

Ruddha posted:

That's understandable, but in the scheme of things it's a fairly low chance. With horses, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. Saw water and passed away

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Krispy Kareem posted:

Owning a horse is something you have to do in a partnership, if I were paying for all of my pony's stuff myself, I'd be broke in about a year.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Not to detract from horse chat (I'm always curious about this; my old boss said all the rich women in LA including his ex wife loved expensive horses), but just found this

quote:

After receiving my statement showing what I was being charged for I saw an additional fee for around $800 for each of my vehicles. I found out that they had me singed up for GAP and Life insurance. The problem is I wasn't aware I signed up for this nor did I want this coverage.

After checking out my paperwork I found out what happend. After talking to the loan officer (with nothing being mentioned about GAP or life insurance) he put my loan documents together and sent them to me with instructors to sign everywhere there was a indicator. When I open the document the first thing in the 52 page document reads "Sign in all indicated areas". I went though these documents to find where I supposedly signed up for GAP and Life coverage. Finally I came to page 27 and this is what the document reads:

"Please read and sign the disclosure below: I acknowledge that the purchase of Credit Life, Accident & Health (CLAH), Vehicle Service Contract (VSC), and Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) products or other services are not required in order to obtain financing and will not be obtained unless I sign below."

Look at how the last four words of this sentence completly change the content and you be the judge and decide for yourself if this is misleading. There are a thousand better ways to right this sentence and they chose the wording in such a way to fool people. This is no way to conduct a respectable business. they has certainly lost my trust.

Be careful signing loan contracts jeez.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I know a girl who rode horses as an adult and wasn't crazy at all. Hardly ever talked about it. Just wanted to throw that out there, lest anyone think all of them are crazy. Afaik she still owns one and is still normal.

I knew another horse riding girl too (but didn't know her as well), but she didn't seem crazy either, from the few times I was around her. Also never really talked about it.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Not a Children posted:

Please defer to Ruddha's wisdom on horses if you are considering riding, owning, or being near one

lol I love that dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
This woman is the only horse owner who was good with (everyone else's in the community for 20 years) money.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_Crundwell

quote:

Crundwell's Quarter Horse operation, RC Quarter Horses, was one of the best-known Quarter Horse breeders in the country; her horses won 52 world championships and she was named the leading owner by the American Quarter Horse Association for eight consecutive years prior to her arrest.[1][5][6]

• Locked thread