Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Republicans posted:

As we've seen with Michael Brown he could have just been getting the distance he needed to turn around and bull charge the officer. Good thing this guy was a better shot. Good shoot.

Don't forget the earth is a ball, so anyone running away from you is actually charging toward you.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Seriously, though, if the three cops who beat Kelly Thomas to death on video couldn't get convicted I don't have high hopes for this either.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Reminder that the State Law Enforcement Division did charge and get a conviction against Charleston County Sheriff Al Cannon for a third degree battery for slapping a dude in handcuffs with an open hand.

I posted these in the cop bash thread here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701648

Recent South Carolina things:

-State Trooper Gubert, shot a dude reaching for licence. Didn't die. Fired, booked, waiting for trial.
-Charleston County Sheriff Cannon, slapped a dude in handcuffs. Convicted of third-degree assault and battery. Got diversion on condition of counseling like the usual state standard is for first timers. Hilariously booked into "Sheriff Al Cannon Detention Center".
-Berkeley CountySheriff H. Wayne DeWitt, arrested and booked into Al Cannons county jail. Resigned, State troopers charged him with evading and DUI. Awaiting trial.
-Orangeburg, A white police chief who fatally shot an unarmed black man in South Carolina in 2011 was charged with murder, and his lawyer accused prosecutors of taking advantage of national outrage toward police to get the indictment. It ended up in a Mistrial in 2014, but Solicitor General said he is preparing another set of charges and another trial in late-2015.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

They already did: defense is that the officer was attempting to taser him after a foot chase and the victim managed to steal the taser from him and started running. At this point the officer felt threatened and opened fire

Who then dropped the taser beside the body.
It's clear in the footage, he drops the taser beside the guy.
Dude knew he hosed up when started shooting.
Am surprised that he didnt try to go after the cameraman.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

happyhippy posted:

I think the fact that the cameraman was behind a fence was significant, it probably substantially decreased the odds the cops could catch him in a chase on foot, and he probably did the math and realized the only way he was going to get this guy's cell phone would be to shoot him, complicating his situation significantly.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Republicans posted:

As we've seen with Michael Brown he could have just been getting the distance he needed to turn around and bull charge the officer. Good thing this guy was a better shot. Good shoot.

And what grouping!

Vahakyla posted:

Reminder that the State Law Enforcement Division did charge and get a conviction against Charleston County Sheriff Al Cannon for a third degree battery for slapping a dude in handcuffs with an open hand.

I posted these in the cop bash thread here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701648

Recent South Carolina things:

-State Trooper Gubert, shot a dude reaching for licence. Didn't die. Fired, booked, waiting for trial.
-Charleston County Sheriff Cannon, slapped a dude in handcuffs. Convicted of third-degree assault and battery. Got diversion on condition of counseling like the usual state standard is for first timers. Hilariously booked into "Sheriff Al Cannon Detention Center".
-Berkeley CountySheriff H. Wayne DeWitt, arrested and booked into Al Cannons county jail. Resigned, State troopers charged him with evading and DUI. Awaiting trial.
-Orangeburg, A white police chief who fatally shot an unarmed black man in South Carolina in 2011 was charged with murder, and his lawyer accused prosecutors of taking advantage of national outrage toward police to get the indictment. It ended up in a Mistrial in 2014, but Solicitor General said he is preparing another set of charges and another trial in late-2015.

Yeah from what I recall they are pretty quick to lock their officers down when they screw up. Right before I moved they had a deputy get into a DUI wreck on the interstate lost his job and charged before he managed to get hungover.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

happyhippy posted:

Where do you see the officer drop the taser by him? the video is so shaky and blurry because the camera person is bouncing it around so much you can barely see anything.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Where do you see the officer drop the taser by him? the video is so shaky and blurry because the camera person is bouncing it around so much you can barely see anything.

This is an embedded video from the MSNBC Maddow site so:
If you skip to 3 minutes in this you can see him go pick up the taser and then drop it by the victim: http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show?cid=sky|ps|google|trms2015

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000003615939/video-shows-fatal-police-shooting.html

I like this video were you can blatantly see him plant the taser.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Thank you, I thought it was right after he got shot, when he handcuffed him. Glad this got caught on film.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

PupsOfWar posted:

who do you adulter with in afghanistan

Paula Broadwell, if you're lucky

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

VitalSigns posted:

Don't forget the earth is a ball, so anyone running away from you is actually charging toward you.

:psyboom:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

For the record this dude will be acquitted because our world is garbage

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

For the record this dude will be acquitted because our world is garbage

That is the fox news headline. It couldn't have been cop shoots man.

Here is a quote from the article

"City Patrolman Michael Thomas Slager, who is white, was taken into custody after law enforcement officials saw a video of him shooting 50-year-old Walter Scott, who is black, in the back as he ran away"

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thankfully there are no comments on that article, or I missed them, which is probably for the best.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

hahahahahahaha

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's good that the headline points out the races of those involved, let's not pussyfoot around about it. If the victim had been white it would not have happened in the first place.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I'm glad to see that South Carolina has a better record of dealing with abusivr cops than say a third world nation, but yeah, my hopes aren't very high that anything happens, even with this proof.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thump! posted:

I'm glad to see that South Carolina has a better record of dealing with abusivr cops than say a third world nation, but yeah, my hopes aren't very high that anything happens, even with this proof.

Just wait, Fox News and the like will say he ran into the bullets.

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

From Facebook, courtesy of an "intellectual" Republican friend from college:

Maureen Mularkey posted:

Our wedding date was set. It was time to pick a ring. But where to look for one? How to shop? The two of us were young, broke, and scrappy. It would be some years yet before we could afford to pay retail. Besides, my intended was a combative shopper, born to hondel. He did not believe in fixed prices. There were only asking prices begging to be negotiated.

We started in Manhattan’s diamond district in the west Forties. No diamonds were on our shopping list. But 47th Street was a place to haggle, draw swords, dicker away until the doomed asking price dropped in exhaustion. His ring was easy. A plain gold band was all. It was mine that took hunting for. I wanted something chaste and spare, low keyed but rich with symbolism. No glitz. Modest but not severe. It had to be unembellished but eloquent—a sort of Grail for my ring finger.

I had no idea what my adjectives might look like in the concrete. So we trooped from stall to stall in the Exchange scouting for . . . what, exactly? Then, finally, there it was. In the showcase of an older jeweler, forearm tattooed with his identification number from a concentration camp, were simple gold bands embossed with phrases from the Tanakh. They were cut in the identical ancient block script familiar to Jesus of Nazareth, who grew in wisdom and study of Torah.

The graphic beauty of the Hebrew characters—heightened by our inability to read them—seemed a visible link to Him in Whom we would marry. One square letter followed another, spacing calculated to encircle the band with no marked beginning or end. The indissolubility of marriage seemed imprinted in the very design. Add the romance of indecipherability. This was my ring!

Next came the contest over cost. The groom-to-be went into gladiatorial mode. The seller was good at the game. It was a lengthy, spirited match. Eventually the two settled on a price. All that was left was to decide on the phrase from a sheet of suggested lines. My heart set on a passage from the Book of Ruth that reads in full:

Ruth said: “Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee; for whither thou goest I will go, where thou lodgest, I will lodge; thy people shall be my people and thy God my God.

Only the central portion (“wither thou goest . . .”) could fit around the ring but the entire antiphon is implicit in the fragment. Ruth’s pledge to Naomi is the purest and most stirring statement of friendship I have ever known. I ached to claim it for myself and wear it for the rest of my life.

Was one of us Jewish? The jeweler wanted to know. Was either of us leaving another religion to become Jewish? No, we were not. Well then, he was sorry but he would not give us that particular quotation. The point was non-negotiable.

The rebuff was a sore let-down but we did not press. We deferred to his prohibition because, in some unspoken way, we understood. The story of Ruth is one of conversion that affirms the Jewish nation. It testifies to peoplehood. The intensity of this man’s concern to honor the sacred core of the text moved us. Here was a man who had suffered the unspeakable for no other reason than he was part of the people Ruth pledged herself to.

There was grace in his refusal. Had he granted me the words I craved, he would, in conscience, have violated the grandeur of them. Ruth’s commitment was not simply to another person but to a covenanted community bound together since the call of Abraham. Her words were his inheritance; he was not free to extend them to us.

Disappointed, I settled for words from the Song of Songs: “I found him whom my soul loveth.” Over the years, my second choice proved to be the better one. The ring is dearer to me than anything else I possess. But I did not feel that then.

• • • •

What innocents we were. It never entered our minds to challenge the denial. We took for granted the man’s moral right to refuse us; any legal issue, then, was irrelevant. But by today’s lights, we gave in too readily. We could have raised a stink. Demanded our rights as consumers. Bullied the vendor with accusations of anti-Christian bigotry. We did not have to submit to the discomfort of being told we were ineligible for what we desired.

“Something there is that does not love a wall, / That wants it down.” Pace Frost, not every barrier should be cleared away. Not everything is permeable. A nation cannot survive without borders; no culture endures without limits. Walls provide a bulwark against chaos and dissolution. That day in the Diamond Exchange, we stumbled against the very wall a man had clung to in the camps. It was the same one that had kept Jewry from disappearing centuries before modern nation states existed.

Had we been noisy enough, I might have gotten the thing I wanted at the time. But at what price to the commonweal?

How to discern which walls, like dikes, have to be maintained, and which left to crumble? Aggressive shows of grievance are meant to deflect discernment, not advance it. The nervous response of the five Roman Catholic bishops of Indiana cooperated with the machinery of deflection by rushing forward with anodyne assertions of the dignity of all people, all genders, as if that were in the balance. It was not. The bishops were anxious to appease malcontents whose agenda trumped conscience and the rule of law. If the bishops could not attend to the specific content of the bill—which provided standing in court for anyone substantially burdened by demands counter to their religious beliefs —better to have kept quiet.

The way to protect religious liberty is not to bleat for it but to expose the distortions, conjectural ploys, and rabble-rousing used against it. It requires tooth. By contrast, the bishops’ bridge-over-troubled-waters approach signaled to RFRA antagonists that self-serving outbursts really do work. It cooperated with bootlicking politicians in ceding ground that was never in play. Reassurance misapplied is a sentimental concession to demagoguery.

Enough.

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/mullarkey/2015/04/rfra-my-wedding-ring

tl;dr a woman engages in the Christian wedding equivalent of a kanji tattoo, uses experience of respecting a Holocaust survivor to hazily suggest that gays (and the weak-kneed religious leaders who won't oppose the LGBT mob) are The Real Bigots.

Emphasis mine, although I was tempted to highlight every instance of thesaurus-loving in the article. Between the vocabulary dick-waving and the Hebrew fetishization, there's something for everyone to "enjoy."

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

That is some quality purple prose right there.

Big fan of her throwing in anodyne like that's a word still used outside of poetry.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I feel like there's a rich joke area in how she went out of her way to unnecessarily include the word "dikes," even though I'm sure it's just the result of thesaurus-humping.

NPR this morning (sidenote: a continual :lol: at anyone retarded enough to think NPR is left-biased or that the media in general is liberal) had on a GOP strategist from DC talking about issues for primaries. His quote was, "Will we be allowed individual liberty, or will we need to worry about the government targeting small businesses for shutdown like we saw last week in Indiana?"

It's amazing how hosed up your thought process has to be if you thought the government "targeted" a pizza place run by bigots who loudly and triumphantly announced "we think some people are worth less than others and we want everybody to know that," followed rightfully by normal consumers saying "hey that's really weird, let's not get food from these fuckos."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If someone wants to give me a million bucks to not go to work for a few weeks I'll gladly fall on the sword and take that kind of government tyranny.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm also not sure why she feels the need to throw in random Yiddish terms that she just switches back to English a few sentences later.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Previously I had only seen the word anodyne in Dragon's Dogma, where it's a move used by spellcasters. So yay?

What's hilarious is that whoever wrote that probably thinks that's what smart people sound like.

"Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don’t know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use." -Hemingway, who by all rights should be a conservative darling due to his rampant misogyny and love of guns.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Who says "hondel"?

This is the William F. Buckley school of "the more archaic words I make you look up, the smarter I am."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm also not sure why she feels the need to throw in random Yiddish terms that she just switches back to English a few sentences later.

It's like a weaboo bursting into pidgin Japanese. A heabroo, if you will

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

It's like a weaboo bursting into pidgin Japanese. A heabroo, if you will

I was trying to think up something like this but you nailed it, good show.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm guessing the RW narrative is going to be "there, are you happy now?" with the officers prosecution held up as something people should be grateful for, rather than...y'know the normal kind of thing that happens when someone is murdered.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I have always respected the law and the men and women who wear the badge. I was naive. Everything since Occupy has finally opened my eyes and I'm an old. Tamir Rice was 12 for Christ's sake. gently caress the right wing, gently caress these abusive pigs, poo poo is hosed up and bullshit.

I watched this video in horror with tears in my eyes. Yelling at a dead man to put his hands behind his back (like the incident in ABQ). This is loving vile. Blatant. I counted eight shots.

Put this pig in jail and throw away the key.

Please let this become a social movement that actually gets somewhere. I want to help. I have no other words for the outrageous crime I just witnessed. What the ever-loving gently caress. Christ on crutches.

I guess while I'm wishing I should wish for Peace on Earth, free Faster-Than-Light travel, sane government, and a loving pony (why not a pony?)

VVV And not only that, but get ready for "race-baiters" Al Sharpton, Eric Holder, and the Kenyan Muslim in the "White" House. VVV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 8, 2015

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Reminder that if there wasn't video evidence of this incident, the police officer's tale would be taken at face value.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I want to know who the officer's corroborating witnesses were or if they were just made up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I never even considered the idea of saying "he stole my taser" as justification for a shooting. That's pretty convenient. It's like you're walking around with completely above board tax payer funded evidence to plant right there on your belt.

joeburz posted:

Reminder that if there wasn't video evidence of this incident, the police officer's tale would be taken at face value.

Yep. As far as I'm concerned the body camera debate is over. We need them on every officer and we need stiff penalties for incidents where they're magically turned off or not worn.

Edit: However I still think the better solution is citizens recording every interaction with the police they see along with memorization of the phrase "It's rendering directly to youtube". It's not even like we need to catch every one of these shootings for it to be effective. Just the more you do catch the more an officer has to think twice before doing something lovely. Just don't end up like the dude filming Eric Garner....hand your phone to a less shady friend I guess.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 8, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm guessing the RW narrative is going to be "there, are you happy now?" with the officers prosecution held up as something people should be grateful for, rather than...y'know the normal kind of thing that happens when someone is murdered.

Of course, all the other officers who saw him drop the taser, didn't report that the report falsely stated CPR was given, etc., are apparently getting away with murder. Should all be charged with conspiracy and with filing false police reports.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
http://cnn.it/go
Mayor: City will pay insurance for pregnant wife of officer charged in killing until baby is born. Watch CNNgo.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I never even considered the idea of saying "he stole my taser" as justification for a shooting. That's pretty convenient. It's like you're walking around with completely above board tax payer funded evidence to plant right there on your belt.

Yep. As far as I'm concerned the body camera debate is over. We need them on every officer and we need stiff penalties for incidents where they're magically turned off or not worn.

Edit: However I still think the better solution is citizens recording every interaction with the police they see along with memorization of the phrase "It's rendering directly to youtube". It's not even like we need to catch every one of these shootings for it to be effective. Just the more you do catch the more an officer has to think twice before doing something lovely. Just don't end up like the dude filming Eric Garner....hand your phone to a less shady friend I guess.

I'm surprised North Charleston will be among the first departments to take up body cams.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My boss has been insisting the guy stole the taser and actually tased the cop first despite evidence to the contrary, so expect that to be a RW thing in the face all evidence.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Some people just cannot conceive of a police man being the bad guy.

But....he's dressed like a good guy :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think only the mega racists are going there. I think your average conservative will be using this as an example of how the system works and is fine, ignoring that the cop totally would have gotten away with it without the video and the local media was ready to believe the police story without any real skepticism.