Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Why can turrets be permanently knocked out? It doesn't serve any purpose besides annoying the player for the rest of the game. Just leave the damage mechanic in so people can aim at turrets or whatever, there's no reason to gimp players for a whole match for no reason.

Today, I made the mistake of trying to talk to pubbies in chat. One guy told me that destroyers should not fight destroyers, and that I should look up "proper battlefield tactics". A different guy told me he disagreed, and then restated what I had typed earlier. It was confusing and terrible. Why are the devs listening to these people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SaltLick posted:

Quick was the wrong word. The close quarters, constant jockeying for a superior position and knife fighty aspect of it all

I'm surprised WoWs didn't try for a light forces tree of PTs, Schnellboote, MGBs and such. Dogfighting on the water.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Sometimes you just have one of those rounds in a destroyer where people get distracted and just let you do horrible horrible things.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I agree :smugdog:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Destroyers are just way too much fun, if you don't get crushed in an opening salvo or whatever.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
So did they manage to gently caress up crusier damage somehow? Over three games I have killed 2x new orleans, a pensacola, and 2x clevelands. all in 1 to 2 salvos / 2 torps for one of the clevelands in the myoko and then getting murdered in return with 3-4 hits vs cruisers. Talking 16kish damage each here. on the second game I scored 16 hits and killed a tier 8 and a tier 7 from full health. :krakken:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Nah. 8-inchers being capable of scoring citadel hits reliably whenever anyone presents his flat broadside just makes high-tier cruiser fights into potentially very short and vicious affairs. Seriously, never present your flat sides if you can at all prevent it. Going towards or away from your opponent at just enough an angle to keep your rear turret(s) in the fight and then swing in even more during reloads is in my experience so far the best way to keep yourself alive in those fights. Also good for whittling down BBs in long-range skirmishes.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I just had a guy drive his cruiser into the side of my battleship, die, then proceed to complain about how I rammed him for the rest of the match.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Magni posted:

Nah. 8-inchers being capable of scoring citadel hits reliably whenever anyone presents his flat broadside just makes high-tier cruiser fights into potentially very short and vicious affairs. Seriously, never present your flat sides if you can at all prevent it. Going towards or away from your opponent at just enough an angle to keep your rear turret(s) in the fight and then swing in even more during reloads is in my experience so far the best way to keep yourself alive in those fights. Also good for whittling down BBs in long-range skirmishes.

This is correct, heavy cruiser duels are pretty different from light cruisers, and if one side has an advantage in positioning they're incredibly short affairs.

Overall the Cleveland is pretty weird in how it's tough and well laid out enough it doesn't tend to take citadel hits and it works by dropping so many shells that won't penetrate but will hit something that it evens out to steady dpm. A lot of the positioning stuff is a lot less relevant to it than other ships.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 8, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

hopterque posted:

Destroyers are just way too much fun, if you don't get crushed in an opening salvo or whatever.
Yesterday I saw a Benson roll up to a Yamato at 1.7km (he laid down a smoke field and the Yamato drove through it like a moron) and unload all of his torps into the Yamato's side and it was the sickest thing

The Yamato survived and swatted the Benson away and then proceeded to win the game for their team

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Yesterday I saw a Benson roll up to a Yamato at 1.7km (he laid down a smoke field and the Yamato drove through it like a moron) and unload all of his torps into the Yamato's side and it was the sickest thing

The Yamato survived and swatted the Benson away and then proceeded to win the game for their team

Even at tier 6-7 games I see carriers/destroyers doing good torp runs, but either Battleship hitpoints/armor are too high or torpedoes just don't scale as properly. You seem to have to do so much more work to take down BB's at later tiers with torps.

Makes me think that maybe flooding should be more punishing? Maybe make it so that it can't be repaired as easily, or have some sort of lingering effect like the old buoyancy mechanic I've heard of.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If torpedoes did less damage but caused serious speed/handling reductions it might be really cool.

You know how awesome it is when you have a good shot at someone who is beached?

Or it'd be awful and annoying. Who knows?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

OSad posted:

Even at tier 6-7 games I see carriers/destroyers doing good torp runs, but either Battleship hitpoints/armor are too high or torpedoes just don't scale as properly. You seem to have to do so much more work to take down BB's at later tiers with torps.

Makes me think that maybe flooding should be more punishing? Maybe make it so that it can't be repaired as easily, or have some sort of lingering effect like the old buoyancy mechanic I've heard of.
Flooding is quite punishing since it's super-fire. 1-2k damage every tick makes BB's the only thing that can actually survive it for awhile. The key is to make it stick since at high tiers any BB worth his salt is going to repair that away.

I thought it did come with some speed reductions as well but I haven't been saddled with it long enough to notice.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
It definitely does come with a speed reduction. Going like 24 knots in the Kongo for a set time due to repair being on cooldown while you're also hemmorhaging HP isn't very fun.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I've been thinking some more about it and I agree with whoever said that this is basically World of Tanks slowed down 40% and a bunch of stuff removed. When people complain about WoT getting less complex or whatever they sometimes use the dystopian vision "imagine a pair of heavies peeking and poking around a corner, forever", and that's sort of what Warships is like right now. You outplay someone in tanks by shooting them while they can't shoot back, and there are basically two ways to do that, namely by a) using the terrain against them and b) by abusing spotting mechanics. Neither is much of a thing in Warships, so it's mostly reduced to DPM Racing: the Game, with a lot of RNG added in. The ships all being very similar to each other doesn't really help, either.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I took off the +accuracy upgrade on my Pensacola and suddenly I'm straddling ships far less and actually landing salvoes and having fun. :wtf: I don't know if it's placebo or something but I'm consistently landing shots at long range now without the upgrade whereas I would miss all the time before and struggled to get any hits at all in this ship. :iiam:

Also rolling around an iceburg and firing off a salvo at an ~8km distant New Orleans with 3/4th health and killing him through 5 hits, 2 of which are citadel hits is loving awesome

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 8, 2015

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The main thing I like about this game is that even when bottom tier you can still contribute. In World of Tanks being bottom tier meant you would be playing "bouncing shots...forever" the game. Also, stock ships not being absolute poo poo like in WoT really helps with that too.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

That's a double-edged sword though because it's also lead to how underwhelming it is to go up in tier.

It's possible to have both satisfying advancement and no nut-kicking bottom-tier matches and stock grinds but right now I think we're just trading one fault for the other.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Prav posted:

That's a double-edged sword though because it's also lead to how underwhelming it is to go up in tier.

It's possible to have both satisfying advancement and no nut-kicking bottom-tier matches and stock grinds but right now I think we're just trading one fault for the other.
look at this babby feeling butthurt about getting gunned down by light cruisers

I think it's a great way to reward better mouse-lead-clickers instead of poopsockers.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Insert name here posted:

I took off the +accuracy upgrade on my Pensacola and suddenly I'm straddling ships far less and actually landing salvoes and having fun. :wtf:

Don't tell me that. Ie giving me an plausible explanation as to why I can't aim for poo poo.

Ren has a point. The shooting seems way too random. I figure I'll hold off boats until something changes

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

look at this babby feeling butthurt about getting gunned down by light cruisers

I think it's a great way to reward better mouse-lead-clickers instead of poopsockers.

It really removes any incentive too play the BB line. Every ship is just the same poo poo different name. Cruisers and DDs have so far been better but I am only at tier 6.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hagop posted:

It really removes any incentive too play the BB line. Every ship is just the same poo poo different name. Cruisers and DDs have so far been better but I am only at tier 6.

DDs are so samey that after some upgrades your ship doesn't even look any different.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Prav posted:

DDs are so samey that after some upgrades your ship doesn't even look any different.

The thing about DDs is that they peak at t4-5 because the cruisers and battleships aren't quite so good.

BBs are still the best ships in the game but not the most fun.

Montefarle
Apr 12, 2005
We just updated to 3.0.9 as of the current time servers are down.

Looking forward to seeing these patch notes.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Montefarle posted:

We just updated to 3.0.9 as of the current time servers are down.

Looking forward to seeing these patch notes.

Did you folks know patch files are just a big ZIP or RAR or some sort of archive ? 7-ZIP opens them just fine. I did some poking around...

All the elements of that "SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO" mode are in there :cripes: :wtc: :suspense:

I'm not kidding - map, load screen background, ship icons, skybox, the whole thing:

Here's "99_deep_space.png", in "wows_30.90523_30.90070_client.patch\res\gui\maps_bg\"

Harbor previews & in-match icons:

also spotted: what appear to be files for USA Battleships :haw: and maybe IJN carriers :japan:.

I dare any of you to post this to the official forums

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

MREBoy posted:

Did you folks know patch files are just a big ZIP or RAR or some sort of archive ? 7-ZIP opens them just fine. I did some poking around...

All the elements of that "SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO" mode are in there :cripes: :wtc: :suspense:

I'm not kidding - map, load screen background, ship icons, skybox, the whole thing:

Here's "99_deep_space.png", in "wows_30.90523_30.90070_client.patch\res\gui\maps_bg\"

also spotted: what appear to be files for USA Battleships :haw: and maybe IJN carriers :japan:.

I dare any of you to post this to the official forums

You have got to be making GBS threads me.
2$ and a lollipop to whoever manages to make my ships look like that picture and changes my ocean and island to space and asteroids. gently caress WWII. I want the spaceship Yamato!

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Update: replacement textures and possibly models spotted for Des Moines, Gearing, [e:]Essex, Yamato and something called a "Zao" - Zao is apparently the one with the neon stripes & swirls and crap from "Arpeggio of Blue Steel - Ars Nova", that's the anime the "Fog" thing comes from.

e: added Essex

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 8, 2015

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

JUST BECAUSE I CAN:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

MREBoy posted:

What you labeled as "real IJN carrier?" is in fact, the Ryujo, a light carrier that attempted to fit the air capacity of a fleet carrier. No, it didn't work.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

edit: missed the prior space battleship yamato discussion :negative: oh well it's still cool. :)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

MREBoy posted:

JUST BECAUSE I CAN:

I want this. I want this more than a fat guy wants pie..

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

So found this nice little gem on the russian forum,

This is the download link

its in the super secret thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516406

You want to use version .03 not the v2 one.

Close your game.
Make a backup of your res/scripts folder for WoWs
Copy the file res into the folder and overwrite what it asks for.

This little gem adds an aiming point of where to shoot, something like a helper that the torps have.

As of right now there is nothing from WGing about this. There is a discussion on the german forum about its uses, it helps you fire at enemies when they are going in a straight line. Once they start moving it messes up the line. Enjoy :]

Equate fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 9, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TehKeen posted:

edit: missed the prior space battleship yamato discussion :negative: oh well it's still cool. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IICjzV0ao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMcrep48Wz0

Can never figure out which version I like more.

e: I'm way too amused by this:

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 8, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Vengarr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IICjzV0ao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMcrep48Wz0

Can never figure out which version I like more.

e: I'm way too amused by this:

They skipped over Ruinberg underwater :saddowns:

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Equate posted:

This is the download link

Dont post that stuff in the public thread. That goes into the super secret and serious haxor thread.

Click here to DL our secret haxors because gently caress it why not

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Missing Name posted:

They skipped over Ruinberg underwater :saddowns:

That was last year. (It was North)

I wish I'd known I'd be able to share that.

Carriers attacked bouyancy to speed debuff (that effect was cranked way up)

Destroyer guns fired healing instead of damage.

Can't remember what Cruisers and Battleships did.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 9, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, I unlocked the Nagato. And it's actually not all bad. Losing two turrets hurts and the 16-inchers are hit&miss. But it feels drat good to be in a ship that can at least maneuver worth a drat and has an actually very responsive rudder for something that size (once you upgrade the hull). When the 16-inchers hit, they hit hard and running the larger secondary battery of the Nagato with the range increase mod and captain skill means anyone coming within 7 kilometers of you is in for one hell of a ride. She doesn't have the long-range gunnery of the Fuso, but holy poo poo does she rip up things once you're in close.

My first game after the hull upgrade was on Arctic, with no DDs and I went into the A sector. Brawled a Fuso to death at point blank while the secondaries on the other flank tore off like half of the healthbar of a Cleveland in a minute or two before he got murdered by someone else.

Objective verdict: Decent. Beastly up close, but overall not quite as good as the Fuso.
Subjective verdict: :black101:

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 9, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

xthetenth posted:

Destroyer guns fired healing instead of damage.

:wtf:
Even for wargaming I don't get it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

James Garfield posted:

:wtf:
Even for wargaming I don't get it.

It was april fools mode, the planes were giant skulls and everything had an mmo class. Destroyers were priests, Carriers were wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Is it just me, or does matchmaking take a ton longer since the last patch dropped?