Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

The Locator posted:

The British Airways non-stop from Phoenix to London has been a 747 ever single time I've seen it in Phoenix.

Flew BA SEA to LHR in 2010 and again in 2012 and in both cases it was one of their -400s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
This was from LHR to SFO non-stop. That was without question the greatest relief of my life - getting the gently caress out of the UK and back home.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
One last 747 post even if we're on page 749; I once worked briefly with a dude in his fifties who was being expedited to some client in the US to put out a major fire. As in, he had to go NOW NOW NOW.

He ended up on business class on a 747, and had the entire upper floor and two FAs to himself all the way across the Atlantic. Pretty baller.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
When I originally arrived in the US, my flight got cancelled from Heathrow. Then it for some reason was almost instantly resumed roughly 30 minutes later. In the end I ended up on that plane with four other people total. We had roughly two and half flight attendants each. It was the best flight of my life easily. We were allowed to sit anywhere and eat a lot.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bolind posted:

He ended up on business class on a 747, and had the entire upper floor and two FAs to himself all the way across the Atlantic. Pretty baller.

I got to fly from Heathrow to LA in the upper deck of a 747 a decade ago. It was pretty cool.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I knew a guy who claimed that the USAF flew him on an SR‐71 to Alaska to fix a critical (and of course top secret) problem.

It’s the tallest tale I’ve ever heard, but at least it’s baller.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Vahakyla posted:

Not in Japan, the Japanese Aviation Authority is a public organization in Japan with tenured employees.

Honest mistakes are not grounds for dismissal unless they are part of a pattern. This answer would suffice for pretty much any other country and its public employees besides the US. You can't just fire people, it is usually a massive hassle unless it is done during their probationarh period.

Just like there was that Airport Security employee in Germany who plowed into a parked airliner, almost totaling it with his security van and people were posting "lol last day at the job". Except it wasn't.

Dunno what it's like for ATCs but for almost every federal job it's impossible to fire someone once they've completed their probationary period too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drgitlin posted:

Dunno what it's like for ATCs but for almost every federal job it's impossible to fire someone once they've completed their probationary period too.

It's not impossible, it's just very, very hard.

Sometimes it seems like they promote incompetency, because they can't fire them.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

It's not impossible, it's just very, very hard.

Sometimes it seems like they promote incompetency, because they can't fire them.

There's a lot truth to that in federal jobs. Promote them out of spots and into positions that, while offer a pay raise and better title, they can't get anyone killed. Long term, it's just easier, and it's gamble they'll leave and do something else.

Platystemon posted:

I knew a guy who claimed that the USAF flew him on an SR‐71 to Alaska to fix a critical (and of course top secret) problem.

If you're going to lie, go all out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tide posted:

If you're going to lie, go all out.

My uncle who works for Nintendo (its a front) grabs rides on the X-37 when stuff breaks.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Emirates' latest stunt was using an A380 as a flying theater for the premiere of a movie about air travel.

https://vimeo.com/122946715

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Having an ADS-B antenna set up in my office has turned out to be awesome. Just tracked a bombardier twinjet going 500 kts at 49,000 feet :psyduck:

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

The Ferret King posted:

I don't see it identified specifically in any of the last 3 years of ATSAP (our safety reporting system) bulletins.

The process of handing an aircraft off to another control has several checks and balances:

First, the sending controller can't let an aircraft enter another controller's airspace without some kind of coordination

Second, the receiving controller, upon noticing an aircraft entering their airspace without coordination, should query the adjacent controller as to the reason.

Third, even if coordination was completed, but the radio (communications) switch wasn't made, the receiving controller should notice that the newly inbound aircraft hasn't checked in with them, and query the sending controller promptly. When this happens, the sending controller will call the aircraft and advise them to make the frequency switch, or advise the receiving controller that the aircraft is no longer on their frequency either. Once THAT happens, there are a few ways to try to contact the flight. Approach controls can use the emergency frequency 121.5 and hope they're listening (many centers do NOT have VHF 121.5 transmit/receive capability at the workstation), if reception might be an issue we can relay through other aircraft on the same frequency, or we simply have to wait for the flight crew to notice something's wrong.

Anyway I'm over explaining this. The issue lately is that FSDO/DEN (domestic events network) notification rules have changed in the last few years. When we can't get a hold of an aircraft for 5 minutes, a verbal report gets made to the DEN in Washington D.C. and they may elect to take various actions to track the flight. Loss of communications with an IFR aircraft for more than 5 minutes is considered "suspicious" and so it begins a paper trail that probably resulted in your visit. It doesn't necessarily have to end badly for anyone involved, but they're trying to make sure inconsistencies don't get overlooked in the national airspace system. Presently though, it's not a Top 5 item for ATC and I can't find any bulletins or notices about the events that suggest it's seen as s systemic problem. It just kinda happens sometimes :/

Wow that was informative. It turns out not to be a big deal, just a center manager that got hot apparently. Like I said I've never been given a hard time about missing a handoff before but that might have been because I spent most of my time flying between 2200-0500 back then.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I got to fly from Heathrow to LA in the upper deck of a 747 a decade ago. It was pretty cool.

Virgin's 747's on the LHR-JFK route used to have (don't know if they still do) some regular economy class seating on the upper deck. If you were quick on the self-assigned seating you could just grab one - and of course I did, both ways. Very quiet and generally chill up there, really good for economy class.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Platystemon posted:

:lol: That puts the usual GreenBeretAirborneRangerSniper to shame.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I worked with an ex Canadian navy guy who claimed to have faked up orders and borrowed an F-14 for a joyride to the Caribbean with an American buddy.

For some reason, I don't mind being bullshitted if the bullshitter is going balls out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I worked with an ex Canadian navy guy who claimed to have faked up orders and borrowed an F-14 for a joyride to the Caribbean with an American buddy.

For some reason, I don't mind being bullshitted if the bullshitter is going balls out.

That kind of poo poo did actually happen in the 50s/60s at least.

Though... Hmmm really old pilots are perhaps more likely to bullshit.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

FrozenVent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGLTyTkqnmM
There's a special place in hell for people who make up stories that aren't even good.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

That kind of poo poo did actually happen in the 50s/60s at least.

Though... Hmmm really old pilots are perhaps more likely to bullshit.

It used to be easier to justify jaunts. Nowadays it's a tremendous pain in the rear end. I don't believe for one minute guys would just hop in a jet and go cross country without jumping through some hoops first, ie to get it to count towards training (Oh hey, boss, there are some F-somethingorother guys 1500 miles away looking for some DACT. You think me and Maverick over there could take a TDY until Monday? Great, thanks!).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm pretty sure I flew on an Air Canada one almost 20 years ago. I didn't realize they weren't operating them anymore.

I think Air Canada had 747-400s for a bit but retired them. I'm not sure what their biggest airliner is now. A330? 777?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
According to Wikipedia they have 777-200 & -300 models. No A380. They also have some 787-8s and 22 787-9s on order.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

It used to be easier to justify jaunts. Nowadays it's a tremendous pain in the rear end. I don't believe for one minute guys would just hop in a jet and go cross country without jumping through some hoops first, ie to get it to count towards training (Oh hey, boss, there are some F-somethingorother guys 1500 miles away looking for some DACT. You think me and Maverick over there could take a TDY until Monday? Great, thanks!).

ROTC visit is a great excuse completely valid aviation representation and educational demonstration. With good cross-country training opportunity.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think Air Canada had 747-400s for a bit but retired them. I'm not sure what their biggest airliner is now. A330? 777?

The 777-300ER is indeed the largest aircraft in their fleet. In all honesty it isn't that much smaller than a 747; in fact the 777-300ER is longer than all 747 variants other than the -8.

Air Canada ordered 3 747-400 Combis in 1989, taking delivery the following year. When they merged with Canadian in 2000, they inherited Canadian's fleet of four all-passenger -400s. Both fleets were withdrawn from use in 2003, with all three Combis still in service today with other operators (two have been converted to pure freighters, while the third is in service with the Dubai Air Wing). The ex-Canadian aircraft are all stored after careers with various airlines, presumably awaiting their turn with the scrapper.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 9, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
A bit late on the last round of Arrow posts, but I've always wondered-what's Canada's deal with ordering prototypes destroyed once they're bored of them? Seems like the only country you ever hear about going "nah we don't quite like it. chop it into tiny bits so no one will ever know".

E: Or is it more of a thing because Canada hasn't really produced many aircraft, so the two or three that end up getting chopped up instead of preserved become a huge deal?

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 9, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Naturally Selected posted:

A bit late on the last round of Arrow posts, but I've always wondered-what's Canada's deal with ordering prototypes destroyed once they're bored of them? Seems like the only country you ever hear about going "nah we don't quite like it. chop it into tiny bits so no one will ever know".

The TSR.2 would like a word with you.

Basically the reason why prototypes are chopped up after an acrimonious cancellation, like the Arrow, C-102 Jetliner and many others is twofold; first, it cost money to store an aircraft, even if it's just parked on a ramp out in the middle of nowhere, and why would you store it if it probably has no future? Second is that from the perspective of the builder, they don't want a failed project lying around (especially in the days of the Cold War) and from the perspective of the former customer, they don't want the potential embarrassment of having these things lying around when the procurement program naturally goes pear-shaped; too easy for some opposition politician to score points with the loser still in existence.

Could you imagine the fuss if in 1960 some Liberal MP went into Parliament with pictures of the intact fleet of Arrows while the Bomarc procurement was going horribly wrong for the Diefenbaker's government?

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 9, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's a pair of TSR.2's intact and on display, thankyouvermuch :colbert: Granted, it might be due to the British Craftsmanship and Attention To Detail during the scrapping process, but still.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Naturally Selected posted:

There's a pair of TSR.2's intact and on display, thankyouvermuch :colbert: Granted, it might be due to the British Craftsmanship and Attention To Detail during the scrapping process, but still.

Neither of the survivors are complete aircraft; the only one that did fly, along with two or three other complete aircraft ended facing the most ignominious fate that can befall an aircraft; they were assigned to battle damage testing, where they were shot to bits in the name of science.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

ROTC visit is a great excuse completely valid aviation representation and educational demonstration. With good cross-country training opportunity.

Not anymore. Academy, though...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Godholio posted:

Not anymore. Academy, though...

I'm sure they could fit you in if you wanted to buzz Riddle as well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Linedance posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to discover the animated corpse of a Trans Canada Airlines employee still working there somewhere (probably in the depths of the underground tunnels of The Base in Montreal, though just as likely in some obscure outstation that everyone has forgotten about and AC hasn't flown to in decades). I was born in 77 and I've worked with people who's seniority date is before I was born, and they're still working.

Well that didn't take loving long, lol! I just flew from Vancouver to Sydney and the service director told me he had 49 years in the company! I asked him if he remembered TCA and he said they stopped flying under that name shortly before he started working there, like a few months prior to him starting. I guess if he stated at 18 or so that would still put him at under 70. Looked pretty good for a lifetime in the air!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

http://www.cnet.com/news/plane-flies-3000-miles-with-hole-in-its-nose/

Ok I get that the pilots couldn't actually aww the damage, but how did that not affect flight characteristics? At a minimum there should have been reduced performance at a given EPR right? Increased fuel consumption?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jealous Cow posted:

Ok I get that the pilots couldn't actually aww the damage, but how did that not affect flight characteristics? At a minimum there should have been reduced performance at a given EPR right? Increased fuel consumption?

Probably not, or at least not enough to be noticeable. The radome is just flimsy fiberglass or other composite.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Crap... Better up the minimum hours to be an FO again then... just to be sure.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

cnet posted:

The aviation expert for 9 News, Greg Feith, said that the flight should have turned around. He said that the pilots risked structural failure around the nose of the plane.

Someone oughta fire Greg, and the news team that wouldn't have even picked up on the story if it weren't for recent events.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Greg Feith is actually a former NTSB investigator :shrug:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CharlesM posted:

Greg Feith is actually a former NTSB investigator :shrug:

And now we know why he's a Former investigator :v:

There's very few people out there that made the switch from doing poo poo to getting ratings on TV that are still in any way respectable. "It was probably okay since it's just a composite radome" doesn't get nearly enough clicks as "Pilots nearly destroy plane."

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Upstairs on a BA 747-400 is a very nice place to be. There's lockers for all your crap, screens if you don't want to make out with the person adjacent to you (let's be honest, if you aren't doing this, you're doing it wrong) and a fully stocked self-serve bar.

Also you're above all the plebs too so there's that. except you aren't actually in first class

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Pimp My Choppah: http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/bell-525-helicopter

That doesn't look like the inside of a helicopter - it looks like the secret chamber where the Douchenati meet to discuss what everyone should buy from Hollister that month.

"Tha's real burlwood, brah."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 10, 2015

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's the Saoudi Special!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pimp My Choppah: http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/bell-525-helicopter

That doesn't look like the inside of a helicopter - it looks like the secret chamber where the Douchenati meet to discuss what everyone should buy from Hollister that month.

"Tha's real burlwood, brah."

If James Bond doesn't smash a guy into that table at some point, life has no meaning.