Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VideoGames posted:

i have found at least something to enjoy in every video game i have played except one which just frustrated me to no end.

also really enjoying the resident evil remaster but the lack of bad one liners and Zumbe not being written on the side of boxes is sorely missed
What game was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
It bothers me when people diss FFIX even though I know how stupid that is. Sometimes your brain just makes you care too much about dumb poo poo. Something about video games stimulates this exact feeling, leading to "gamer culture"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
every post i just try to decide on an irony level

the worse the thread or post im responding too, the more ironic - the more genuine the post, the less ironic

thats why when I post on official forums for games im a shitposter who gets banned because all the topics are braindead stupid

on SA, its kind of a grab bag

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I want to play something like a Warriors game, so I am hoping that One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 will have a good PC port because I don't own a Wii U and I also don't own a Vita to get an extra anime-filled Warriors clone. If one of those extra anime-filled Warriors clones comes to the PC, though, I may buy it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

What game was it?

i would rather not say. just know there is a single game out there in a franchise that i feel has been detrimental to the overall genre since it got huge.

no it is not COD.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

why is it that they don't put effort into the PC ports for Warriors games, anyway? If they could ever get online multiplayer going, which PC seems well-equipped for, there are friends across the country I could reconnect with for a weekly gaming session.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

It bothers me when people diss FFIX even though I know how stupid that is. Sometimes your brain just makes you care too much about dumb poo poo. Something about video games stimulates this exact feeling, leading to "gamer culture"
Agreed, it is extremely stupid to disrespect FFIX.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

VideoGames posted:

i would rather not say. just know there is a single game out there in a franchise that i feel has been detrimental to the overall genre since it got huge.

no it is not COD.

ooh. I agree. Color a Dinosaur really hurt all games containing dinosaurs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Imagine me looking at the game on Steam, and shrugging as I move past it, considering other FF games instead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Imagine me looking at the game on Steam, and shrugging as I move past it, considering other FF games instead.
Imagine me feeding you your keyboard, idiot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Imagine me feeding you your keyboard, idiot.

N-no! My Model M!!! The popping springs are so much more uncomfortable against your teeth!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VideoGames posted:

no it is not COD.
It's Super Mario Bros. isn't it

FactsAreUseless posted:

FFIX is great. The only problem I have with it is the insanely slow pace of battles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had FF9 downloaded on my PS3 for 3 straight years and never got past disc 2.

Wait, I think that's also true of FF7 and FF8. I find it really hard to replay those games and am pretty amazed that people exist that have played one or all of them literally dozens of times.

I think the most number of times I have played any game all the way through is Super Mario Bros. 3. In fact I'm sure it has to be because nothing else even comes close to the number of times I played that game back when I was a kid.

To be fair I've played through FF4 about five or six times and played the first half or 3/4 of it another half dozen times, probably

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's Super Mario Bros. isn't it

no way, SMB is the whole reason i am excited to get my WiiU in 22 days time

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

we did the FF9 circuit in the last thread, but it just felt so ugly and slow to me. I gave it another chance later, too. it's the pre-12 one besides 2 that I didn't finish.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
ffix isn't on steam (I looked when you posted that, which is how much I personally care) and now I'm confused and mad at you because it means either 1) you were trolling, and trying to wind me up, and it worked or 2) you got ffix confused with mmorpg final fantasy 11

it's really hard to replay on a playstation

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I have never played a final fantasy game, how should I rectify this

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Problem Sleuth posted:

play ff7 but do nothing except breed/race chocobos

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Problem Sleuth posted:

You should watch Rectify before you play any more video games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VideoGames posted:

no way, SMB is the whole reason i am excited to get my WiiU in 22 days time
I know I'm just bustin' your chops. Pre-congrats on the Wii U, as I said in your IZ thread

Pablo Gigante posted:

Good choice, Wii U owns

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zombies' Downfall posted:

ffix isn't on steam (I looked when you posted that, which is how much I personally care) and now I'm confused and mad at you because it means either 1) you were trolling, and trying to wind me up, and it worked or 2) you got ffix confused with mmorpg final fantasy 11

it's really hard to replay on a playstation

Oh, I thought they were all on steam at this point. I can't keep up with the re-releases. Some of the Steam ones are ports of the mobile versions too iirc. it's confusing!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Problem Sleuth posted:

Uhhh play Final Fantasy 4-7 immediately if you like japanese rpgs and don't play them if you don't!!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Problem Sleuth posted:

what kind of games do you like?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Uhhh play Final Fantasy 4-7 immediately if you like japanese rpgs and don't play them if you don't!!!

If you do this play them in this order: 7, 4, 5, 6

if you do that, they will keep getting better as you play

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

I actually quite like JRPGs, so I think I'll start with FF4

Thanks chat thread

e: or uh, 7, apparently

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I haven't played a lot of JRPGs but my favorite is tied between Earthbound, Xenogears, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

Personally I think Mother 3 is much better than Earthbound

Also I would like to play Xenoblade Chronicles but it is astronomically expensive!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Problem Sleuth posted:

I actually quite like JRPGs, so I think I'll start with FF4

Thanks chat thread

e: or uh, 7, apparently

when and if you get to 5, if you are a completionist, play it with a guide. It's a great game for scratching that itch for continuously leveling up in weird ways if you have it, but it's extremely easy to miss things, particularly blue magic.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Excels posted:

It's because deep down you know FFIX is actually bad and you only like it because of circumstances that existed around when you first played it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

It's because deep down you know FFIX is actually bad and you only like it because of circumstances that existed around when you first played it
I replayed it earlier this year and it's excellent, sorry.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My favorite thing in 5 is getting to the end and killing a buncha movers until everyone is the master of each job class, all of them equipped with two of those lances that dragon drops. I would do it again if I had millions of free hours.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I replayed it earlier this year and it's excellent, sorry.

Then it's possible you suffered a very traumatic brain injury because enjoying a PS1 era JRPG (even a good one) is literally impossible without brain damage.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

what's the adam bowen term for taint reaped again?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

what's the adam bowen term for taint reaped again?

"Watch out, you just read another really good Adam Bowen post!"

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Actually though, I've only finished 2 FF games of the post-SNES era, and those are 7 and 9. I got 7 in 1998 and never even finished it until like 2002 either, whereas I finished 9 right after it came out. So maybe I don't hate 9.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Xenogears is a very good PS1-era JRPG that I was able to enjoy outside of the entirety of disc 2 which was after all of the awesome parts

The only PS1-era JRPG I strongly dislike in any way is Thousand Arms

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You might just not like JRPGs.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Or maybe I finished 9 because people were like "it's a return to classic Final Fantasy" so I played my way through it, waiting for the good stuff to start and becoming increasingly resentful as it became clear it was never going to suddenly turn into a classic Final Fantasy and was going to continue to suck dog poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Xenogears is a very good PS1-era JRPG that I was able to enjoy outside of the entirety of disc 2 which was after all of the awesome parts

The only PS1-era JRPG I strongly dislike in any way is Thousand Arms
Thousand Arms has the worst final boss of any game I've ever played. He has an attack where he freezes your whole team then heals himself for like three rounds. The battle took me THREE HOURS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I let my brother keep our PS2, so the only way I can really play the post SNES ones are when I visit him (and we're playing Skryim instead) or if I buy them for PC, when available. I'd like to give Chrono Cross another try at some point and see if I can get through it without getting too infuriated.

• Locked thread