Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

The thing I find interesting is the dissection of the common police shooting narrative.

Usually the killing of an individual by a police officer is framed in a manner like: "officer was innocently investigating, suspect did something threatening, officer perceived threat and feared for life, used deadly force;" and it is a very difficult to argue against because there is often a lack of outside evidence. Usually, the police officer is the only witness and has a large body of departmental resources to support them. Further, people believe cops, they tend to not believe criminal defendants with prior records (which often get released and pointed out in a way to suggest the dead earned or deserved their killing).

This narrative occurs pretty frequently, and without much deviation, such that it can easily be followed as an outline of how the police can kill a man and get away with it. All you need to do is follow the road map, and with their union rep. attorney, and the "blue wall of silence" most police will never disagree with the official version of events.

But here we have video, and perhaps most telling, the video came out after the official report. They can't explain away the discrepancies in the typical fashion, and in my mind the question arises of how many others like this are there out there? How many people died and the killing covered up and justified by the police?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I predict them going to the "one bad apple" argument and how the rapid response of a murder charge proves the system works perfectly and calls for reform are unwarranted something something.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/08/exclusive-michael-slager-s-attorney-dumped-him-as-soon-as-he-saw-video.html

Brief interview with Slager's ex-lawyer, who went lol see ya as soon as a reporter emailed him the video.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

cr0y posted:

I predict them going to the "one bad apple" argument and how the rapid response of a murder charge proves the system works perfectly and calls for reform are unwarranted something something.
To be fair the system in South Carolina appears to be working pretty well.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

*If there's clear as day video of a cop shooting a guy in the back

How well does it work when there isn't video? I'm guessing not great.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lemming posted:

From their history, it seems to work better than most places. SLED seems pretty aggressive in going after bad cops. Obviously there's a question about their limitations in funding, ability, effectiveness, etc., but there's at least some folks in law enforcement there who take this kind of stuff seriously so... better than most places.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I wouldn't say that a random passer-by happening to film the event is part of "the system." It's actually a self-preservation tactic against "the system."

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Lemming posted:

Did you miss the above post about SLED going hog wild on a bunch of corrupt CLEOs in the last year or so? Plus that Trooper who shot the black guy after asking him for his license a few months ago. I know "gently caress the system!" and all but remember to give credit where credit is due. If this happened in NYC the cop would be on vacation instead of in jail.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
SLED doing a huge crackdown seems* like

http://www.sled.state.sc.us/CISystem/Images/NewsPress/SNP0803.pdf

*edited, sounds isn't the right word

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 8, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Did you miss the above post about SLED going hog wild on a bunch of corrupt CLEOs in the last year or so? Plus that Trooper who shot the black guy after asking him for his license a few months ago. I know "gently caress the system!" and all but remember to give credit where credit is due. If this happened in NYC the cop would be on vacation instead of in jail.

I saw the post, and those instances are good, but it doesn't give you the whole idea. If there were 5 instances of cops getting arrested and they killed 10,000 people (numbers obviously made up), then it would still probably not be great. Credit where credit is due, those cases are good, but we don't even have access to the number of cop shootings, so it's hard to know whether or not they're being handled appropriately as the exception or as the rule.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GlyphGryph posted:

From their history, it seems to work better than most places. SLED seems pretty aggressive in going after bad cops. Obviously there's a question about their limitations in funding, ability, effectiveness, etc., but there's at least some folks in law enforcement there who take this kind of stuff seriously so... better than most places.

A lot of the good SC cops do seem to get scooped up by SLED at some point.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Literal video of a cold blooded murder and planting evidence from a bystander is not really the system.

It's also the only reason he may actually see jail time.

It's pretty depressing that we're kinda cheering the easiest casewalk of a case possible because we know that's that anything less would probably be thrown out.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Literal video of a cold blooded murder and planting evidence from a bystander is not really the system.
I was speaking in a general sense, which I thought was clear.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I was speaking in a general sense, which I thought was clear.

Yes, but I think I'm kinda sad that actually pursuing obvious crimes is something we need to cheer.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Yes, but I think I'm kinda sad that actually pursuing obvious crimes is something we need to cheer.
The system policing itself is always worth a little acknowledgement in my opinion. Especially noteworthy when it's a hard red state with a nasty history of racial discrimination doing a better job than anywhere else that I'm aware of.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Tsarnaev just got convicted so there goes the media attention.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I don't know why I even bothered to check Officer.com

quote:

Race has nothing to do with it.
But AGAIN, a FAILURE of this Thug to just acquiesce to the lawful commands of the Officer, instead, this POS fights the Officer and takes a weapon.

At least he won't steal again. Lesson learned...

I'll let the JUDICIAL system figure it out.

This man is a sworn, active police officer.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cr0y posted:

Tsarnaev just got convicted so there goes the media attention.

Loving the fact that all of my news apps went OMG HOLY poo poo TSARNAEV WAS FOUND GUILTY. I mean come on, no poo poo. Ring my phone if he was found innocent.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

mintskoal posted:

He says he is. Reminder that o.com is like police stormfront with no real background checks and that many departments prohibit having anything to do with it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

mintskoal posted:

It's kind of amazing that officer.com isn't entirely a honeypot for state investigative agencies at this point.

Also their vetting procedure for members is a joke.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Hah, hell no. If the system were working well, the other cops on the scene would have turned him in for filing a false report as soon as they realized he was lying about giving CPR.

Charge them all with conspiracy to commit.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hah, hell no. If the system were working well, the other cops on the scene would have turned him in for filing a false report as soon as they realized he was lying about giving CPR.

There is no way to know though if the other officers saw the report on the supervisor's desk and all this happened so fast leading up to the release of video that possible interrogation wasn't done yet, I'd imagine.
The officers submit their reports to the supervisor independently and they don't get to plan it out together before their statements are taken.

Considering the fact that a coroner's report showing all the bullet holes in the back would've been about to resurface soonish anyway.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 8, 2015

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Kumo posted:

But here we have video, and perhaps most telling, the video came out after the official report. They can't explain away the discrepancies in the typical fashion, and in my mind the question arises of how many others like this are there out there? How many people died and the killing covered up and justified by the police?

I'm not an ACAB fan, but I'm afraid the answer to that is "many".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vahakyla posted:

There is no way to know though if the other officers saw the report on the supervisor's desk and all this happened so fast leading up to the release of video that possible interrogation wasn't done yet, I'd imagine.
The officers submit their reports to the supervisor independently and they don't get to plan it out together before their statements are taken.

Considering the fact that a coroner's report showing all the bullet holes in the back would've been about to resurface soonish anyway.

The department's official statement before the video was revealed was that officers, plural, had attempted to administer CPR. They pretty clearly didn't.

That's the thing - there was a two day lag here between the event and publication of video, and in that time, the department put out a consistent and false story, which points to a systematic coverup.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 8, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The system isn't working well, but parts of it least seem to be doing (some of) their job for once. I guess it just feels like a low bar.

There is still definitely time for things to go further.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Von Sloneker posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/08/exclusive-michael-slager-s-attorney-dumped-him-as-soon-as-he-saw-video.html

Brief interview with Slager's ex-lawyer, who went lol see ya as soon as a reporter emailed him the video.

Don't lie to your lawyers people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jefferson Parish Police just released rap videos of a man they shot.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/04/desmond_willis_shot_jpso_videos.html#incart_river

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/04/desmond_willis_harvey_jpso_shot.html

To be fair though it seems this was probably not a " I shot him while he fled" shooting.

I just thought it was weird that they'd be like " Oh by the way that guy was in rap videos".

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

:pervert:

Yeah let's give the guy caught on camera shooting someone in the back the benefit of the doubt, perfectly reasonable.

Chuck "Floor-shitter" Johnson doesn't actually believe any of this, he just wants to drive more traffic to his sub-Breitbart level clickbait empire.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Jefferson Parish Police just released rap videos of a man they shot.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/04/desmond_willis_shot_jpso_videos.html#incart_river

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/04/desmond_willis_harvey_jpso_shot.html

To be fair though it seems this was probably not a " I shot him while he fled" shooting.

I just thought it was weird that they'd be like " Oh by the way that guy was in rap videos".

Didn't you know that rap is only practiced by the thuggish?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Some more shooting running suspects video for the thread:

https://twitter.com/deray/status/585889957408972800

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't know if this one has been posted here but I didn't see it until today.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/graphic-video-emerges-showing-brutal-final-moments-vineland-man-mauled-k-9/

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Once again the Onion is on top of things: http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation-hopeful-there-will-be-equally-random-chance,38397/

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
I "like" how they're going straight for the bolt-hole of making this guy take the fall for this when
- the way he acted showed that he was clearly used to covering up his actions (which he probably learned how to do in both the military and the police force)
- there were clearly other police officers accessory to the murder
- the media was there to uncritically say what the police department wanted them to say, so we have institutions on at least state level whose default behaviour is to help the murderer get away with it

this isn't the act of one individual, it's more a case of America being occupied by an enemy military force

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Re: The Walter Scott video. Can someone please point out exactly where the officer appears to plant the Taser on him?

poo poo's hosed.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Mister Speaker posted:

Re: The Walter Scott video. Can someone please point out exactly where the officer appears to plant the Taser on him?

poo poo's hosed.

From another thread

about 1:40 in,.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

Mister Speaker posted:

poo poo's hosed.

In this video: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=1

At 1:30, the editor has a slow zoom in of it, I think it pretty clearly is the taser he is tossing. Its really blatant, like that's exactly how I drop a piece of trash when I want to "accidentally" litter.

e:f;b

Mavric fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 8, 2015

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
And you got ahead to it jesus the video must have been updated since I saw it.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 8, 2015

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mavric posted:

In this video: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=1

At 1:30, the editor has a slow zoom in of it, I think it pretty clearly is the taser he is tossing. Its really blatant, like that's exactly how I drop a piece of trash when I want to "accidentally" litter.

Holy poo poo, that is clear as day. Thanks for that. I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
As a reminder, police critics have been saying that cops will shoot folks for no reason and then plant a weapon and have been mocked for it, here and elsewhere.

This is simply a time when somebody caught it, on camera, in daylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

As a reminder, police critics have been saying that cops will shoot folks for no reason and then plant a weapon and have been mocked for it, here and elsewhere.

This is simply a time when somebody caught it, on camera, in daylight.

There is a noticeable lack of the usual suspects popping up, now that you mention it..

But for all the attention it's getting, it's certainly a compelling case where we get to compare previous media coverage, and just how much that lines up with the vast majority of these cases ( I kind of wish there had been more just for the stark contrast ). We have the casual planting of evidence play out before our eyes. It tears the typical story apart. Without it there would be fleeing suspect who went for the cop's weapon, a black man who just wouldn't go down despite being tasered. A criminal! He had a warrant, after all.

It's definitely great news he's actually charged with murder, and shocking how far ahead of the rest of the country South Carolina seems to be. But without that video, and the person brave enough to take it, at the very best this story would've been briefly mentioned and then forgotten.

How about this guy? Using a K9 unit to maul a man to death and then demanding the phone that recorded the incident? That should be front page news too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfAYkwphRM4

• Locked thread