Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I have a separate category called "To be reimbursed" and put the charge in there. Then I set the remaining (negative) balance to be carried forward to the next month where I mark the corresponding income as "To be reimbursed" to offset it as if it never happened. Essentially taking it out of the budget but tracking the dollars.

This is essentially the same thing I did with girlfriend expenses. I pay the $200 grocery bill, say on the 5th of the month , but she will pay me back $100 at the end of the month (when we reconcile our bills). I don't want to take $200 out of my grocery budget, so I split the expense, $100 into grocery, $100 into the "girlfriend" fund. Essentially the same thing but without the split for you, Karthe. And like TraderStav said, you want to carry the (negative) balance forward so it doesn't affect your next months income / budget. It will show negative for the next month, but once you receive it, it goes away.

To your income point, you can split inflow and outflow amounts. So when you get your paycheck in April, that is earmarked for May, you split it in YNAB, putting the reimbursable amount into the 'Reimbursable" category like TraderStav does, and the rest goes into May income. That will zero out your negative balance in the 'Reimbursable' category, and put your normal income into May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Dustoph posted:

To your income point, you can split inflow and outflow amounts. So when you get your paycheck in April, that is earmarked for May, you split it in YNAB, putting the reimbursable amount into the 'Reimbursable" category like TraderStav does, and the rest goes into May income. That will zero out your negative balance in the 'Reimbursable' category, and put your normal income into May.
So YNAB will know to go back and retroactively apply inflows to certain categories? I just don't want any visible red negative-balances on the Budget screen for those categories (I don't even budget for them because I know they'll zero out) when I've already been reimbursed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Karthe posted:

So YNAB will know to go back and retroactively apply inflows to certain categories? I just don't want any visible red negative-balances on the Budget screen for those categories (I don't even budget for them because I know they'll zero out) when I've already been reimbursed.
No, they'll be red until you get reimbursed. Normally red categories just come off the top of the next month, setting the arrow to carry over means it stays in the category instead.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TraderStav posted:

I have a separate category called "To be reimbursed" and put the charge in there. Then I set the remaining (negative) balance to be carried forward to the next month where I mark the corresponding income as "To be reimbursed" to offset it as if it never happened. Essentially taking it out of the budget but tracking the dollars.

This is the exact way YNAB recommends you do it, and it works well.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I do the same for work expenses. Having those red numbers on my budget reminds me to sort out the reimbursements out with the finance department.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Karthe posted:

I have a question about reimbursements and Rule 4: if I make a reimbursable purchase in March and I receive the reimbursement in April's first paycheck that gets sent to May's budget, how do I split that paycheck so that the reimbursement amount gets applied to March's reimbursement category that I used for the purchase?

You can split income transactions to multiple categories if you assign a dollar amount to each split. With your income deposit, take your normal paycheck amount and mark it Income for May. Take the reimbursement amount and mark it Income for April. Budget the income from the reimbursement to the reimbursement category. Take the negative balance you have for March in the reimbursement category, click on it and select "Subtract it from next month's category balance (->)" to make it a carry forward item. The reimbursement expense carried forward will not affect your available total for April, and the income in April will balance the expense from March.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I need some helping wrapping my head around this. Okay, so the Pebble Time Kickstarter just ended and I got charged my pledge amount. I transferred money from one of my bank accounts into my checking to pay for it (both literally and within YNAB). Now, how do I get this transfer to reflect on my budget if I can't mark it as inflow into the category I'm using for gadgets? Right now I've made the transfer in YNAB but the Budget view still shows the pledge amount as a negative balance for that category. I don't want this to affect April's budget, but it's displayed as "Overspent in March" and is throwing my numbers off.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Karthe posted:

I need some helping wrapping my head around this. Okay, so the Pebble Time Kickstarter just ended and I got charged my pledge amount. I transferred money from one of my bank accounts into my checking to pay for it (both literally and within YNAB). Now, how do I get this transfer to reflect on my budget if I can't mark it as inflow into the category I'm using for gadgets? Right now I've made the transfer in YNAB but the Budget view still shows the pledge amount as a negative balance for that category. I don't want this to affect April's budget, but it's displayed as "Overspent in March" and is throwing my numbers off.

Transfers never affect your budget. Your budget is a total of all your money, it doesn't matter how much is in one account or another. If you have a negative balance for the category, you need to increase the budget for it to equal what was spent. If you previously budgeted all of your dollars, then you will need to steal money from another category to pay for it. This is the being flexible rule.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Dustoph posted:

Transfers never affect your budget. Your budget is a total of all your money, it doesn't matter how much is in one account or another. If you have a negative balance for the category, you need to increase the budget for it to equal what was spent. If you previously budgeted all of your dollars, then you will need to steal money from another category to pay for it. This is the being flexible rule.
Oh, I see what was wrong with my setup: my "temporary savings" account that I wanted to withdraw from to pay for the Pebble was an "on-budget" account so I had ended up budgeting everything in it as well. I just made that account off-budget and things started working how I was expecting them to. Namely, I made a transfer from temp. savings into my checking account, where it showed up as budgetable income that I was able to put towards my Gadgets category that the Kickstarter transaction was classified under.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Karthe posted:

Oh, I see what was wrong with my setup: my "temporary savings" account that I wanted to withdraw from to pay for the Pebble was an "on-budget" account so I had ended up budgeting everything in it as well. I just made that account off-budget and things started working how I was expecting them to. Namely, I made a transfer from temp. savings into my checking account, where it showed up as budgetable income that I was able to put towards my Gadgets category that the Kickstarter transaction was classified under.

I would recommend keeping it in the budget, but creating a slush fund category. That way you have a category to steal from.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Let me talk this out and see if I'm crazy...

I bought something online. It went into my Discretionary budget, charged to my credit card. I then paid off the full balance of that card over the weekend. I am returning the item I bought. I know I will mark that as a "credit" on my credit card account, but I can't exactly put that money back into my discretionary budget, can I?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

Let me talk this out and see if I'm crazy...

I bought something online. It went into my Discretionary budget, charged to my credit card. I then paid off the full balance of that card over the weekend. I am returning the item I bought. I know I will mark that as a "credit" on my credit card account, but I can't exactly put that money back into my discretionary budget, can I?
You can assign inflows to a budget category instead of as income. So yes.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Of course you can: once the credit's applied to your card, putting you into positive balance, enter an inflow on your card in YNAB. The payee is your card company, and the category can be whatever you like (although common sense suggests the Discretionary that you used in the first place).

[e] to chime in with Mr. HOGS: if you take a taxi and cover the full fare, and your buddy pays you their share, you can assign that 'income' to your 'taxi' category. You'll only have spent your share, and you've been reimbursed the other person's share too.

spincube fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 30, 2015

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

spincube posted:

Of course you can: once the credit's applied to your card, putting you into positive balance, enter an inflow on your card in YNAB. The payee is your card company, and the category can be whatever you like (although common sense suggests the Discretionary that you used in the first place).

[e] to chime in with Mr. HOGS: if you take a taxi and cover the full fare, and your buddy pays you their share, you can assign that 'income' to your 'taxi' category. You'll only have spent your share, and you've been reimbursed the other person's share too.

This is what I did for my tax return. I got 199 back from state and owe 126 to federal. So I have a 199 inflow into my taxes category, a 126 outflow, with 73 balance. Just assign a -73 in the budget column to zero the balance and stick it somewhere else like it was any other money.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

heard Dave Ramsey launched a new, free budget tool called https://www.everydollar.com

Never used it but thought this crowd might be interested.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

New job (well, new employer of record, same job), wasn't expecting first paycheck until the 15th. Came in this morning.
Halfway to rule 4. :ohyeah:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

How do you guys handle purchases with foreign currencies on the credit card?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

app posted:

heard Dave Ramsey launched a new, free budget tool called https://www.everydollar.com

Never used it but thought this crowd might be interested.

Looks like there's a free and a paid version, but the site sucks and I can't seem to find what the features of the paid version are.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

TraderStav posted:

Looks like there's a free and a paid version, but the site sucks and I can't seem to find what the features of the paid version are.

Automatically imports transactions from bank account as they post. $99/yr it looks like.

e: http://help.everydollar.com/help/article/link/what-is-fastrack

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Automatically imports transactions from bank account as they post. $99/yr it looks like.

I don't want that functionality anyway. I like being the only creation of entries.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

No and $No.
I'll stick with YNAB.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

HardDisk posted:

How do you guys handle purchases with foreign currencies on the credit card?

If it's just a single or small number of purchases, convert it using Google or something similar. Reconcile once it posts to your account in case the math was off.

If it's during a trip with many purchases, take the money you are going to use for the trip and convert it, then start a second budget for that trip in the foreign currency and use that money as income to start that budget. Log everything in the local currency, and when you get back, convert the remainder back into your currency and log that as a single transaction on your normal budget (or do the whole amount before and reconcile after). If your CC has foreign transaction fees, add that into each purchase on top of the normal price, like sales tax.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, I'm cleaning up some credit cards. Basically I took out a loan with the bank to wipe 4 of my credit cards (500 a month to 250 a month), interest is lower, etc etc.

My question is this: I'm putting the budgeted amount into the budget screen under Pre-YNAB debt. When I put in the payment amount, I still have a remainder. Should I just hide the categories after this and ignore the remainder, or do I need to fix it somehow?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, I'm cleaning up some credit cards. Basically I took out a loan with the bank to wipe 4 of my credit cards (500 a month to 250 a month), interest is lower, etc etc.

My question is this: I'm putting the budgeted amount into the budget screen under Pre-YNAB debt. When I put in the payment amount, I still have a remainder. Should I just hide the categories after this and ignore the remainder, or do I need to fix it somehow?

Just create a new account for the loan and transfer the balances there. No reason to use Pre-Ynab Post-Ynab

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

What trader said. Those accounts are closed (RIGHT!?), so kill them. Transfer x amount from the new account to the old account to zero them out, and any fees involved go in as a transaction on the new account. You should end up with just one negative balance account representing the loan.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

ilkhan posted:

What trader said. Those accounts are closed (RIGHT!?), so kill them. Transfer x amount from the new account to the old account to zero them out, and any fees involved go in as a transaction on the new account. You should end up with just one negative balance account representing the loan.

I closed (IE, made the payment then closed the account) 2 of the 4 cards, and closed them in YNAB too. I have one card left, my wife has a card, there is one other card that we use for gas and kept paid off anyways. I still have some money left over. There's going to be a pretty big gap in pay coming up soon, that's why I'm not throwing it all on this card right now. So I created an off budget Loan account, and added 10k to my checking account (where it went), made the payments, then added the payment amounts in the budget screen to reflect the money going out of the budget, and simply hid those Pre-YNAB credit card categories as I'll never use them again, even though they were a bit off.

Honestly, it's probably about time to reset YNAB and archive the past year either way.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What is the best way to handle credit card rewards in YNAB? I have a card that gives me 1% back, but as a credit on my statement.

If I mark that as income in YNAB, there doesn't seem to be a good way to track it as income tied to a specific account.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sure it does. Click on your credit card account on your accounts list on the left, it should then list your CC transactions only.

Now you can just enter whatever the amount was, and it should be assigned to your CC account.

Anyway, YNAB doesn't really care on what account your money actually is, only that between all your in-budget accounts you have a big pile of cash, and that pile of cash needs to be given jobs on your budget.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is the best way to handle credit card rewards in YNAB? I have a card that gives me 1% back, but as a credit on my statement.

If I mark that as income in YNAB, there doesn't seem to be a good way to track it as income tied to a specific account.

As long as it's income you've entered on the card account, then it shouldn't matter that the income isn't "tied" to anywhere as it reduces the amount that you need to transfer to that card when your statement comes in. It's not like Amazon vouchers tied to your account that you can't use to pay your tax bill or something.

The only time it might become an issue is if you want to close the account, but even then it will just come off your final balance. If you still want the 1% from purchases right up until you cancel, just stop using the card, wait until you get the credit and then cancel. They should send you the positive balance amount on a cheque.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Amused Frog posted:

As long as it's income you've entered on the card account, then it shouldn't matter that the income isn't "tied" to anywhere as it reduces the amount that you need to transfer to that card when your statement comes in. It's not like Amazon vouchers tied to your account that you can't use to pay your tax bill or something.

It reduces the amount I need to transfer, but doesn't change the amount I have budgeted and then transacted. Say I have spend $200 on a credit card in 3 different categories, they have been budgeted and are now all down to 0. I get a $50 credit on my statement. I pay the CC and now have a $50 just kind of floating around. I can't count it as regular income since I can't "spend" it on and debit, cash or other cc transactions.

I guess I could just put that money into the existing Pre YNAB CC debt category as a positive when reconciling, and then drawn down on that by moving that surplus to a category when I make a transaction from that card.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Anybody have some tips for reconciling?

YNAB only has options to filter by month and not a specific date so it never matches up with my credit card statement. Additionally, I enter many transactions right as they occur but their statement date is usually a day or two later. My current method is to sort by outflow and compare every dollar amount to see where things were missed but the inability to set YNAB to the same start/end date as my credit card is a little annoying.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 8, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I made a category for poo poo like gift cards and credit card cashback for that reason. So I make an inflow to the credit card account, assign it to that category, then just pull the money from that category and throw it somewhere else.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Teeter posted:

YNAB only has options to filter by month and not a specific date so it never matches up with my credit card statement. Additionally, I enter many transactions right as they occur but their statement date is usually a day or two later. My current method is to sort by outflow and compare every dollar amount to see where things were missed but the inability to set YNAB to the same start/end date as my credit card is a little annoying.
You can search by date range by using the following format:

After:MM/DD/YYYY, Before:MM/DD/YYYY

Which will return all transactions between those two dates.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I made a category for poo poo like gift cards and credit card cashback for that reason. So I make an inflow to the credit card account, assign it to that category, then just pull the money from that category and throw it somewhere else.

This is what I would do. That same category also takes care of interest from checking/saving and my tax refund the same way.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You can search by date range by using the following format:

After:MM/DD/YYYY, Before:MM/DD/YYYY

Which will return all transactions between those two dates.

wonderful, thanks!

re: the CC rewards. I get a lot from the Sallie Mae barclaycard and do it exactly how Amused Frog describes. YNAB doesn't care where your money is in the grand scheme of things so it doesn't matter that you can't "spend" it. Decreasing the amount you need to transfer to your CC by $50 frees up that much money in your other accounts to spend how you wish so the net effect is the same. Enter it as "Income for April" or whatever in your CC account and then you're free to allot it around your budget as you wish.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Teeter posted:

I don't bother with trying to match my credit card statement. When I reconcile I just head to the website and reconcile the current balance with YNAB. The one annoying part is having to go from current activity to your most recent statement to find all of your transactions. I also sort my transactions by amount in YNAB and go through it that way. Easy to find that $11 transaction when sorted by amount instead of chronological order that doesn't match my CC

EDIT: For the statement balance I would just take it as inflow on my CC and assign a category like entertainment.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

zamin posted:

This is what I would do. That same category also takes care of interest from checking/saving and my tax refund the same way.

Yeah I mainly do it this way instead of setting it as income for x month because I want that to only show my actual income, and not all the other incidental inflows I get.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Teeter posted:

I'm not sure I understand. Here's what appears when you hit 'Reconcile Account':

Enter the statement date, enter the amount your card company says you owe, and YNAB displays all the transactions you haven't cleared since last time (presumably on your previous statement). You then clear/unclear lines in YNAB, add anything you missed and so forth, until both YNAB and your statement balance match.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You can also click on the lock with the line through it to only show unreconciled transactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm fairly new to YNAB and I did not know that I could edit my budget on the iPad app. I cannot on my phone and remember hearing "no mobile budget editing" so this was a nice surprise.

I just started next month's budget on my iPad last night and I think it was even easier than on the computer, going through each category it showed me my average spending, what I budgeted last month, etc without an extra click. Thumbs up.