Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

actionjackson posted:

Well I gave it a try last night so I'll see how the battery usage is today now. It is a legitimate issue which there are some utilities for but all require rooting. Those people came up with solutions but they all require rooting.
Holy poo poo :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Yeah I already had installed it. The initial replies were just "look at the stupid icon." Anyway it may be worthless but I wanted to see for myself.

There wasn't any alternative suggestions given anyway. Just let it use too much battery life?

I can't tell if you're trolling us. You have to be. That app was literally proven to be completely useless in this very thread.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Eh, to play devil's advocate, Kitten Smoothie couldn't be absolutely sure what the app does, and even said so. To be sure, it's still a lovely app.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can't tell if you're trolling us. You have to be. That app was literally proven to be completely useless in this very thread.

Well his post was after I had tried running it. Anyway I didn't do anything else it asked because I was skeptical, I just turned off most of my google syncing instead.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Well his post was after I had tried running it. Anyway I didn't do anything else it asked because I was skeptical, I just turned off most of my google syncing instead.

I'd recommend installing a custom rom and maybe an optimized kernel.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

I'd recommend installing a custom rom and maybe an optimized kernel.

Do not forget to wipe your Dalvik cache three times before first boot of that custom ROM, like the docs say.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gotta get all the poop off those big cheeks, wipe three times.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Norns posted:

I've had my S6 Edge just under a week. No complaints. The screen is gorgeous, it's super quick and the bloatware wasn't crazy agressive out of the box.

Really happy with my purchase.

Which storage level did you get? US Cellular is only getting the 32 and 64GB variants. I'll probably go with the 64. It'll still be a giant step up from my old S3.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Do not forget to wipe your Dalvik cache three times before first boot of that custom ROM, like the docs say.

Okay, rooted my device, then placed it into a tub of 42.1 degree water for 15 seconds, put it in the toaster to dry, what is the next step help

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Okay, rooted my device, then placed it into a tub of 42.1 degree water for 15 seconds, put it in the toaster to dry, what is the next step help

To enable inductive charging, you'll need to put it in a microwave for 20 minutes.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
I have a 2013 Moto X developer edition and did a repair request. After a couple days I called to figure out what was up and after 1 hour they couldn't find any replacements and gave me a 2014 Moto X Pin. Does anyone have any opinion on the back options. I hadn't planned this so have no idea what the Motorola backs are like.

I tried a Bamboo backed Moto X once and found it really slippery. I'd like a phone that doesn't slip and am considering the Red Leather option.

Does anyone have a customized Moto X and have an opinion about the back options?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

actionjackson posted:

You fool! I said 43.1 degree water! You've ruined your computer phone!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stick100 posted:

I have a 2013 Moto X developer edition and did a repair request. After a couple days I called to figure out what was up and after 1 hour they couldn't find any replacements and gave me a 2014 Moto X Pin. Does anyone have any opinion on the back options. I hadn't planned this so have no idea what the Motorola backs are like.

I tried a Bamboo backed Moto X once and found it really slippery. I'd like a phone that doesn't slip and am considering the Red Leather option.

Does anyone have a customized Moto X and have an opinion about the back options?

Pretty sure they use natural calf leather from Horween (aka the good poo poo) so a byproduct of this is, it will very visibly age over time unless you get black. This aging is a good thing, but not for everybody. I bought a leather case for my phone that got trashed in half of its reviews because "it changed color and looks awful now!"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm sorry, N6-ToXiC0ptimized-JBKKLPSUPERKERNEL-DEDOXED-nogapps-04112015NIGHTLY.rar is the wrong one. You want N6-ToXiC0ptimized-JBKKLPSUPERKERNEL-DEDOXED-nogapps-04122015NIGHTLY.rar

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Stick100 posted:

I don't know about customized, but the default back is pretty slippery. Since I have a case is not an issue though. I would imagine some sort of wood backing would be even worse.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Mogomra posted:

You fool! I said 43.1 degree water! You've ruined your computer phone!

And is that in Fahrenheit, Celsius, or Kelvin? :911::hf::france:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 8, 2015

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

enojy posted:

Pretty sure they use natural calf leather from Horween (aka the good poo poo) so a byproduct of this is, it will very visibly age over time unless you get black. This aging is a good thing, but not for everybody. I bought a leather case for my phone that got trashed in half of its reviews because "it changed color and looks awful now!"

I really like the look of the leather and the wood backs. I am really really hoping that they have a 2015 Moto X with those options AND Qi charging.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Edward IV posted:

And is that in Fahrenheit or Celsius? :911::hf::france:

The is the problem with open source projects.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
U.S. Cellular got Lollipop on the S5 before AT&T. How loving hard is it for AT&T to get their poo poo together? =/

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

actionjackson posted:

I don't know about customized, but the default back is pretty slippery. Since I have a case is not an issue though. I would imagine some sort of wood backing would be even worse.

Unless you have sweaty hands or something I really wouldn't call it slippery, it grips my hand pretty well.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

comper posted:

Fair enough. I've just seen a lot of reviews of the S5/Note 4 where they get the international Exynos versions before/after release and they just pop in their T-Mobile/ATT SIM cards and they work just fine. Same with that Xiaomi Note and the G3 that was released earlier in Korea than the US. Maybe it is different with the S6/Edge but we will see.

You know what, this is a good point. I have a SNEAKING suspicion that they only test the international phones on 3g or HSPA+ (differs if people call hspa+ 4g or not). Most phones (including international versions) seem to support 3g/4g but rarely LTE in the US due to market segmentation. For example: the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 sold in the US Market supports wildly different LTE bands then the Chinese/SE Asian models. Someone more knowledgeable then I may want to weigh in on it, but I don't recommend buying an international model of ANY phone if LTE in the US is a concern.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I skipped a bunch of posts but it looks like google finally added nicknames.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ord-experiment/

Hazborgufen
Apr 11, 2005

Dirk Funk posted:

No screws under the feet and it seems closed up pretty good. I tried to get a small flathead in there and no luck. I didn't want to try to hard just in case.

I'm going to bring it to work tomorrow and see how loud it sounds there. If it's still an issue than I'll figure something out like maybe sending it back and getting one that's known to open easily.

I have the same charger. It's the pad that beeps not the phone. Also dumb is that the indicator light flashes red and yellow as the phone charges which is great when you are trying to sleep. It's dumb and stupid and has been relegated to sitting on my computer desk at home where it works just fine.

Get this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F1SHFJA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this on my nightstand. No dumb beeping and the indicator light just glows green when charging. Word of warning though, it is lighter in weight and doesn't have rubber feet, so depending on where you put it the pad might not be substantial enough to stay put. The USB cord tension kept moving the pad around on my nightstand. I put some rubber feet on mine and it stays in place so there's that.

Anyway, hope that helps. Qi charging is the best thing ever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

U.S. Cellular got Lollipop on the S5 before AT&T. How loving hard is it for AT&T to get their poo poo together? =/

ATT has significantly more poo poo to keep together than US Cellular.

On the other hand, they have significantly more resources with which to keep said poo poo together so it isn't really an excuse.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

They're finally putting month view back in the calendar.

https://plus.google.com/+Gmail/posts/gmF1LdnVbwU

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009

Hazborgufen posted:

I have the same charger. It's the pad that beeps not the phone. Also dumb is that the indicator light flashes red and yellow as the phone charges which is great when you are trying to sleep. It's dumb and stupid and has been relegated to sitting on my computer desk at home where it works just fine.

Get this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F1SHFJA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this on my nightstand. No dumb beeping and the indicator light just glows green when charging. Word of warning though, it is lighter in weight and doesn't have rubber feet, so depending on where you put it the pad might not be substantial enough to stay put. The USB cord tension kept moving the pad around on my nightstand. I put some rubber feet on mine and it stays in place so there's that.

I saw this one, but ended up buying the dumb beeping one instead. I'll either return this for that one or find another place to keep it where it won't be irritating.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dirk Funk posted:

I saw this one, but ended up buying the dumb beeping one instead. I'll either return this for that one or find another place to keep it where it won't be irritating.

I almost responded with something about not keeping a product that has something you dislike EVERY time you use it, but then I remembered that I did just that and "fixed" it by literally breaking it.

FAKE EDIT: wish I'd taken this approach to my last few phones, which I bought and flashed a ROM on within hours of owning.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hazborgufen posted:

Get this instead:

No get this one instead

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LE6X5VU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Working awesome, works basically the same as my much more expensive (regular pricing) tylt vu.

and its got rubber feet :smugdroid:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

They still haven't gotten round to the note 4, however.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Apparently AT&T is rolling out 5.0.1 to the S5 today. The S4 is getting it today too.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a way to have motorola assist work with a hidden appointment or some sort? I don't need something I see on my calendar that tells me I am at work, but I would like it to silence the phone when I am there. Any ideas?

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009

XIII posted:

I almost responded with something about not keeping a product that has something you dislike EVERY time you use it, but then I remembered that I did just that and "fixed" it by literally breaking it.

FAKE EDIT: wish I'd taken this approach to my last few phones, which I bought and flashed a ROM on within hours of owning.

I might just end up keeping it and throwing it on the nightstand or a desk or something at home. The light can easily be covered with a piece of tape if need be.

I bought this to use at work where I pick up my phone a few times here and there so that beeping isn't the best for that. At home, having it in a spot where a phone will sit on it for a longer period of time won't be as much of an issue unless it's one of those chargers that beeps periodically through the night when the charge went down a bit and it starts charging again. I'm about charged to 100% on it now, so I guess I'll find out if that is the case soon.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Captain Yossarian posted:

You know what, this is a good point. I have a SNEAKING suspicion that they only test the international phones on 3g or HSPA+ (differs if people call hspa+ 4g or not). Most phones (including international versions) seem to support 3g/4g but rarely LTE in the US due to market segmentation. For example: the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 sold in the US Market supports wildly different LTE bands then the Chinese/SE Asian models. Someone more knowledgeable then I may want to weigh in on it, but I don't recommend buying an international model of ANY phone if LTE in the US is a concern.

Right, I did some research on my own just because I was curious and there seem to be mixed cases depending on the phone. A lot of them do work just fine including LTE but others only on 3G/HSPA. It all comes down to what frequencies they support so like you said in your original post, just verify the phone supports your carrier's bands before purchasing and it should be alright, someone else is bound to try it with the S6/S6 Edge I'm sure.

Also, just got my shipping notification from Verizon for my Edge. Should have it tomorrow, a day earlier than I expected, so that's neat. haha

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Apparently AT&T is rolling out 5.0.1 to the S5 today. The S4 is getting it today too.

Yeah, nope, I was wrong. The S4 actually got 5.0.1 yesterday. The S5 is getting 5.0.

I wish I didn't have such a good discount with ATT.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
This is gonna sound weird but whatever: I really want to find one of the default ringtones that came with the original droid but my search online for it has been surprisingly difficult. Does anyone know where I can get them or, even better, still have their original droid and would be willing to pull it off for me?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

comper posted:

Also, just got my shipping notification from Verizon for my Edge. Should have it tomorrow, a day earlier than I expected, so that's neat. haha

Nice.
I'm still torn on what to upgrade to from my 2013 moto x so more goon reviews are always appreciated. Buying straight cash means I plan on waiting a bit longer for consensus. M9 is out, not sure if 2014 moto x would be a big enough upgrade and the Nexus 6 doesn't do much for me. Waiting to see some reviews for the Zenfone 2 but man, this S6/Edge hype is getting to me..

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

Nice.
I'm still torn on what to upgrade to from my 2013 moto x so more goon reviews are always appreciated. Buying straight cash means I plan on waiting a bit longer for consensus. M9 is out, not sure if 2014 moto x would be a big enough upgrade and the Nexus 6 doesn't do much for me. Waiting to see some reviews for the Zenfone 2 but man, this S6/Edge hype is getting to me..

Do you (or anyone else) want a $140 off code for the Moto X? It's good until 4/16/2015. If so please PM me.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

El Grillo posted:

But they run like poo poo and no one should do it.
Any advice on what I should direct to the card? Spotify songs & movies I guess if I can - can I get photos to store on the thing? Still pissed that they decided not to offer the 32gb version in UK...

[/quote]

Sure, put all your media on there (pics, videos, movies, music, etc). Just don't expect to run apps off it.

Stick100 posted:

Some of the soft touch backs are a different material, so I can only speak about the blue ones, which are really pleasant to hold and very grippy. I'd get one of those if I was to buy a new Moto X. The wood is way too slippery.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

I'm sorry, N6-ToXiC0ptimized-JBKKLPSUPERKERNEL-DEDOXED-nogapps-04112015NIGHTLY.rar is the wrong one. You want N6-ToXiC0ptimized-JBKKLPSUPERKERNEL-DEDOXED-nogapps-04122015NIGHTLY.rar

Reads post. Looks at thread title to confirm.

Yep, confirmed. This is the Android thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Just got my S6 Edge and dont even care that I payed $100 more for a nightclock, it looks sweet.