Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Pivo posted:

I am aware. But that's 10/mo in perpetuity. You can buy LR outright.

I'm pretty sure though that Adobe will be updating the software more frequently so you will end up with an outdated copy. Having Photoshop there if you need it is a benefit and since they have 1 year subscription cards there is a chance you can get it on sale. I got a full year for around $100. It also gives you access to a small amount of cloud storage and Lightroom on iPad (which kinda sucks anyway).

I think the subscription model is annoying too, but it isn't that bad for just the photography package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JHVH-1 posted:

I'm pretty sure though that Adobe will be updating the software more frequently so you will end up with an outdated copy. Having Photoshop there if you need it is a benefit and since they have 1 year subscription cards there is a chance you can get it on sale. I got a full year for around $100. It also gives you access to a small amount of cloud storage and Lightroom on iPad (which kinda sucks anyway).

I think the subscription model is annoying too, but it isn't that bad for just the photography package.

I do the Office 365 sub and I think it's more than worth it. I get a lot of stuff for $99/yr. (although you can find cheaper sub cards on Amazon)

1) Full featured web apps
2) Install Office apps on up to 5 tablets
3) 5 Installs of the latest version of the full office suite on OS X and Windows.
4) 1TB of OneDrive storage. (this last one is almost worth the $100/yr alone. I use the gently caress out of it)

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

So it seems the only apps that I have that can open large pdfs without temporarily making GBS threads themselves are Chrome and Safari (I also tried Preview and Skim). Any idea why this is? At this point I'm more just curious than anything.

E: I tried linearizing, which didn't seem to do anything (qpdf said the file was already linearized, but I tried anyway).

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!

flosofl posted:

Does anyone use handyLock from Netputing? I use handyPrint on my Mac Mini Server to let me print to my Brother Laser from my iDevices and I love it. I've been testing some proximity lock apps that use an iOS client and they all pretty much suck, either the unlock ritual is a pain in the rear end or the server side on the computer freaks out from time to time. I always carry my phone and handyLock simply locks/unlocks based on BT proximity (adjustable sliders for sensitivity) of *any* paired BT device, no client app needed.

Just wondering if anyone has used it and discovered any hidden gotchas.

Have you tried MacID? It does proximity unlocking (which I don't use so can't really comment on) but can also unlock using TouchID, without even needing to unlock the iPhone. It seems pretty reliable to me and from waking my MacBook I can have it unlocked in a few seconds. It's all really painless.

The option to enable proximity locking separately from unlocking is there too, and again in my experience it's very reliable. You can even chose to get a notification on your phone when the proximity stuff happens.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Malf posted:

Have you tried MacID? It does proximity unlocking (which I don't use so can't really comment on) but can also unlock using TouchID, without even needing to unlock the iPhone. It seems pretty reliable to me and from waking my MacBook I can have it unlocked in a few seconds. It's all really painless.

The option to enable proximity locking separately from unlocking is there too, and again in my experience it's very reliable. You can even chose to get a notification on your phone when the proximity stuff happens.
That's the one that ended up making GBS threads it's pants when the screen went to sleep. Not every time, but when it did it required a hard reboot to fix.

Thanks, anyway. I guess I'll just install handyLock report back.

EDIT: Actually, I decided to give MacID one more try since they updated a few weeks ago.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 6, 2015

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I'm archiving a bunch of files/folders onto an external volume which I eventually would like to dump on a NAS that will be accessed by Windows users. Is there some sort of utility (OS X or Windows) that I can run on the volume after I'm done archiving things which will remove all OSX-related .files and .folders (while leaving other .files such as git repos intact)?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

shodanjr_gr posted:

I'm archiving a bunch of files/folders onto an external volume which I eventually would like to dump on a NAS that will be accessed by Windows users. Is there some sort of utility (OS X or Windows) that I can run on the volume after I'm done archiving things which will remove all OSX-related .files and .folders (while leaving other .files such as git repos intact)?

If you want something to remove specific dot-files and dot-folders, then that's easy enough to set up as a script you can either call after you archive or as a cron job.

If you mean something that will make a decision on whether a dot-file/folder is only OS X and delete only those, I'm not aware of anything that will do that.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I think this is the right thread, based on observation, but it could belong in the Mac hardware thread or an iThing thread i suppose.

Basically today i noticed - after having not charged my iPad Mini 2 from anything but mains power for a while - that charging from USB on my 2014 rMBP no longer says "Not Charging" when the screen is on. Two things have changed since I last checked: -

- Installed several OS X 10.10.3 previews
- Moved from 240v UK to 220v US

I don't think (I could be wrong) that's there been an iOS update since the last time I tried it and logic dictates it's more likely the former of the changes I listed, rather than the latter. It's on the last 5% now so I can't really check if it's fast charging as it always does the slow top off, even on mains for the last part of a charge.

Anyone noticed this? Is it an OS X thing?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

That's the one that ended up making GBS threads it's pants when the screen went to sleep. Not every time, but when it did it required a hard reboot to fix.

Thanks, anyway. I guess I'll just install handyLock report back.

EDIT: Actually, I decided to give MacID one more try since they updated a few weeks ago.

I like Knock quite a bit. MacID never really worked right for me, but Knock has been rock solid.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

US uses 120v, shitface.

I don't have a laptop but I'd guess it may depend whether your RMBP itself is plugged in or not.

lua
Jun 16, 2013

dik-dik posted:

So it seems the only apps that I have that can open large pdfs without temporarily making GBS threads themselves are Chrome and Safari (I also tried Preview and Skim). Any idea why this is? At this point I'm more just curious than anything.

E: I tried linearizing, which didn't seem to do anything (qpdf said the file was already linearized, but I tried anyway).

I get this problem with a lot of scanned pdfs, even if they're not that large. Running them through OCRKit fixes it for Preview, but unfortunately after the trial it's $50. Adobe Reader works too, but it's lovely in many other ways.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nut Bunnies posted:

I like Knock quite a bit. MacID never really worked right for me, but Knock has been rock solid.

MacID started drooling and painting the walls with its own poo poo again, so that one's out.

I'll give knock-knock a try because I do like the idea of unlocking the computer using a phone, but if it takes longer than it would just typing in a password, it's probably a non-starter.

I do want to report that handyLock does seem to work as advertised. You move away it locks, move back it unlocks. There is an option to no unlock and require a password, but so far it's been working fine.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Nut Bunnies posted:

I like Knock but sometimes it just fails and I have to force unlink my laptop and my phone and re-pair them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What's the tool of first resort for cleaning malware out of OSX? Is there a Mac equivalent of MBAM or ADWcleaner?

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

US uses 120v, shitface.

I don't have a laptop but I'd guess it may depend whether your RMBP itself is plugged in or not.

Yeah, brainfart on the voltage. No, it's not related to being plugged in; it never used to report that it was charging when the screen was on at all.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Slowhanded posted:

LR and Photoshop are $10 bucks a month if you have an edu e-mail. If you shoot a good deal of photos the tagging and workflow is certainly worth the $120 annual fee.

Don't need an edu address for the deal; it's available to everyone. Only need an edu address for the CC Complete for $20/mo (that's good for 1 year and auto-renews into the standard $50/month).

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

What's the tool of first resort for cleaning malware out of OSX? Is there a Mac equivalent of MBAM or ADWcleaner?

Adware Medic is the only thing you'll really need, but if you have Mackeeper or Tune Up My Mac then you should also use App Cleaner

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

I'm encountering a weird lag on the desktop: If I create a folder, move a folder, or delete a folder on the desktop, the action happens immediately (I can hear the trash sound, for example), but there's a visual lag of about three seconds before the change is displayed.

Has anyone encountered this before? I'm on a rMBP that's about six months old.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
OS 10.10.3 is live, folks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Jose Oquendo posted:

OS 10.10.3 is live, folks.

Yep, its up on the CrApp Store already and the description has been modified to suck you into getting 10.10.3 because of Photos.

It's like a 1.6 GB update or a 5.6 GB installer.

Luckily, it looks like Photos retains the same ability as iPhoto does to load alternate libraries by holding down 'option' at launch.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I can 2 factor into my google account and sync calendar again!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Installed from the App Store, now seeing a flashing folder on reboot. Fuuuuuck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Did the Photos app get any sort of update since the beta ? It was pretty crappy.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Did the Photos app get any sort of update since the beta ? It was pretty crappy.

Many, many updates during the beta cycle.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I had the latest beta, any major changes since then? Adding photos to an album was a total chore. Don't know why I couldn't just right click photos and add them to an album.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I had the latest beta, any major changes since then? Adding photos to an album was a total chore. Don't know why I couldn't just right click photos and add them to an album.

No major changes since the last beta.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
drat, 10.10.3 did not fix the slow text entry bug in Safari/Mail at all (I heard it would). I have typed this entire second sentence before the first one even showed up on my screen. loving spectacular. Guess I'll have to try the combo update whenever that is available. And then a fresh install, though I did that once already...

Also I just noticed any Finder sidebar items that point to files/folders on one of my NAS shares reload and point to completely different files if I mount a different share. WTF.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Soooo is iCloud Photo Library ready for prime time now that Photos is officially out?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

... just to counter all the negative anecdotes, 10.10.3 installed for me in under 10 minutes with no problems and everything is exactly as it was, Finder and all.

YMMV. I was kinda spooked pulling the trigger on day 1 but it seems to be OK.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Pivo posted:

... just to counter all the negative anecdotes, 10.10.3 installed for me in under 10 minutes with no problems and everything is exactly as it was, Finder and all.

YMMV. I was kinda spooked pulling the trigger on day 1 but it seems to be OK.

Same. The latest Xcode update, however, has been at "less than a minute" left to install for a good half hour.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

fleshweasel posted:

Soooo is iCloud Photo Library ready for prime time now that Photos is officially out?

Servers seem to be hammered. So far, it has been able to upload 133 items over the 6 hours since I installed it…

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

Not even close.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Just as a counterpoint, I've been using Photos and iCloud photo library for a few months and it has worked perfectly for me. I'm not a power user or anything and my photo library is pretty small at about 2500 photos, but everything I take shows up everywhere pretty quickly and it's not taking up tons of space on my phone or iPad.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I updated and now Safari crashes when I enter text in the address field, whether it is a search, or a URL. I cleared all my cache, and disabled all extensions. Any ideas besides use Chrome?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Reinstall the combo update...which still doesn't seem to be available yet.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Reinstall the combo update...which still doesn't seem to be available yet.
Combo's been out for a while: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1804?locale=en_US.

I've installed it on two computers and haven't had any problems so far. Both were on 10.10.2 previously if that matters.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Strange, it's still not listed here:

https://www.apple.com/support/osx/software-updates/

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Google's crawler seems to index Apple's pages faster than Apple updates their indexes so I've just searched for 'os x 10.10.3 combo update' and got the right page every time since about halfway through Mountain Lion's release cycle :shrug:

e: Looks like the App Store installer for OS X has been updated to 10.10.3 now as well. Time to build a new base image.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the help, the combo update fixed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spotlight search on my 2012 MBP is much better now. And on my 5S incidentally. Much improved performance since the beta.