Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Maulers can destroy a tank in a single blow. Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

David Corbett posted:

He broke a foot of ice with his bare hands? Really? As a general rule, a foot of clear ice is good to hold something like eight tonnes.

Alexis is the best. He was my MVP for the game, if you don't count Lavinia.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
While the writing in the first game wasn't great by any assessment, I still liked the general concept/game environment of like Anime Not-WWII. They just had to turn it into Highschool Drama Rebellion for the second one, didn't they...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

David Corbett posted:

He broke a foot of ice with his bare hands? Really? As a general rule, a foot of clear ice is good to hold something like eight tonnes.

You need to brush up on your anime tropes. Alexis talked about being a master fencer, therefore he's a martial artist of some kind, and therefore he can do silly things like break the ice by striking its pressure point or whatever. It doesn't necessarily imply that he can exert more than eight tons of force, just that he's implausibly skilled in a vaguely mystical martial arts sense.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
A thought occurred to me. I wonder if we'll be using in the future.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Leveling up has another benefit of learning new Orders...you know, if Orders were worth a drat. Evade Boost increases the chance of dodging counterattacks, which sounds okay but not for 4 CP.

While leveling everyone up to level 3, Armored Techs give the Defense Boost Order. A really absurd spell back in VC1 that made even Scouts invincible against interception fire, not here where 4 CP is over half the deployment slots.

Classroom

Oof, my head's gonna blow if I try to cram another fact in there today!

This, from the guy who slept through class. And snored incessantly. I'll--

*sounds of fluttering suddenly interrupted*

Whu-waugh! B-Bird alert, dude! A bird Just flew in through the window!

Hee hee... It's all round and cute.

Ooh, a bird? Really?! I want to see, too! Where is it?

Cosette, darling! You simply can't stand on a desk, it's dangerous!

Mm?

Um, you know this bird, Avan?

Know him? He was my pal back at home! Leon and I found him with a busted wing and nursed him back to health. He's been my bud ever since. Right, Jarde?

Goodness, there seems to be something in the tube strung around his neck.

Ooh, a letter from Mom. Let's have a look... "I hope this finds you well. Jarde's been lonely since you left, so I'm sending him along to you. Try not to fight too much. And don't over eat like you do. Love, Mom."

Your family's from Heathern, right? So he flew all the way here?

Crazy, right? Yeah, he's always been super good at finding me.

A Gallian swift. They're fairly rare across the Europan continent. Their strong homing sense has led to their frequent use as carrier birds.

Wow, you sure know lot about birds, Zeri! Is that a hobby of yours?

I started reading up when I heard that Lieutenant Gunther was a naturalist,

That's a great idea. Caring for animals can be very therapeutic.

I-I'll be responsible for his food and water!

Bweep!

Sounds like he's down! Thanks, you guys.

Yaaay! Good to have you in our class, Jarde!

Bweep!

THIS BIRD WILL UNITE CLASS G TO VICTORY...I guess

We're doing drills at the village we liberated. Um...that doesn't sound right.

This mission is about night time negative effects, which is lowering accuracy and sighting. You could attach a lamp to the tank to counteract it but eh, it doesn't really matter for the most part.

When you can deploy a vehicle, they have a designated spot that's usually in front of the main base. There's also a 2nd deployment group on a different map for 4 units.

One of all the important classes to cover our bases here.

The objective for this mission is to capture the orange base on the 2nd map.

Jo scouted forward to tank what's up ahead, only to realize that was a bad idea because there's a piece of wood blocking his way. At least he exploded a guy for his trouble.

So apparently this 2 turn A rank mission can be won in 3 turns with Zeri. Awkward.

With that in mind, I just putted around and killed stuff before ending the mission.

A bit anti-climatic. Feel bad for those that wasted money on a Lamp for this mission.

Usually you have to get in mad trouble to be here. Whoa! Check this throne!

Ugh, it's still a pain. I just want to go home. It's not even that dirty. Who'd know if we just left it like this?

Y-You guys, come on... We'll get in trouble if we don't do it right.

*thunderous noise*

Ugh, Franca?! N-No, man, we're doing it! The floor's spotless!

Are you blind? You should be ashamed! That corner has cobwebs, there are prints on that vase. Carpet lint, people!

Th-There's no need to go that crazy cleaning!

Dirt in a room is dirt on the soul! I'm not leaving until this place shines! And you had best believe that none of you will, either.

Aaaaack!

Forget this!

I told you guys we'd get in trouble...

...What was the point of that.

Joachim Quest 1

Sounds like somebody's having a meltdown in the courtyard.

*scene change*

What are you moaning about now, Joachim? I could hear you echoing down the hall.

Avan, man! You gotta hear about this day of mine. The worst day EVER!

Um, sure. I'm game. Lay it on me, man.

So this morning, I notice I forgot somethingm so I head back to my room.

Okay?

As I passed the mess hall, the lunch ladies are trying out a new dish. So they see me, and they make me eat a ton. Like a TON of this stew.

Wait, how is that bad? That sounds awesome!

How is that awesome?! I had a stomach ache, and they fed me so much! I was in bad shape after that, man. Real bad! And THEN this chick from Class D asks me to to out on a date with her.

Well, that's good, right? Good for you, man.

Good? Good?! Are you crazy or something?! She was all wrong for me! If I'm gonna go out with a girl, she's gotta have braids and a long skirt. She'll be demure and rich and she'll do anything to make me happy!

wow, gently caress this guy

And that's not even all of it!

*time passes*

Yeaaah, I don't really get it, man. Everything you just told me sounds great to me.

Gah! You really don't set it at ALL, do you, man? Being saddled with friends like you settles it. I'm the unluckiest guy ever!

You're a complicated man, Joachim.

Needs to be severely punched in the face, multiple times

Oooh, a story progression.

Mm? What's up, Rene?

We, uh... We kinda lost Jarde.

It's barely been a day....

We've split up to look for him, but we haven't had any luck so far.

Guess I'm not the only one who gets lost on this campus.

If he is lost, he must be frightened. Will you help us look for him?

Yeah, I bet he'd come if you called him!

All right, I'm on it. Heh, so much for those amazing homing instincts.

*sounds of bweep from afar*

That sounds like Jarde! It's coming from that direction. *runs to the sound*

Jarde, is that you? Answer if you can hear me! *hears Bweep* Over that way! *runs again*

Bweep!

Jarde?! Hey! What gives, man?! Let him go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU9oIfMvuSI

Valkyria Chronicles 2

Fffff! Hissss!

What's your deal? If you want a fight, you got one!

Aliasse. What are you doing?

Huh?

Oh, Mama!

Nothing. I just came here looking for my bird, lady.

You're back, Mama! Did you finish your errand?

I did, though it went 18 minutes over schedule.

Uh...okay?

Thbbbbbbbbt!

What! You little brat!

*Aliasse runs away*

I dunno man. Valkyria Chronicles 2

Meet Class G: Joachim Osen

Nothing much to be said of him as a unit, since Armor Tech don't rely on Shoot for attacking. He has the 2nd highest HP among current ATs, and his deal is that he's extremely lucky but a stupid idiot for not appreciating it.

Personal Potentials
Impatient - Hiding from view causes them to quickly get antsy, lowering their defense.
Youngest Child - They feel left out when they are the last one to take action, lowering firing accuracy and defense.
Luck-Pusher - Stays positive even when surrounded by enemies, raising defense.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Actually 3000 years old, right? :shepface:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Actually 3000 years old, right? :shepface:

Spoilers, no. Just a normal young girl.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Jarde is one of the few things that is actually less anime in regards to its VC1 counterpart.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Alright we got more main VAs so I am going to give out trivia on their seiyuus.

Aliasse is voiced by Haruka Tomatsu, voicing Nagi in Kannagi as well as Mileena Vashti from Gundam 00 and Shiho from Zettai Karen Children, she would be known for her role as Asuna from SAO.

Clementia is voiced by Mami Koyama, cast as Talia Gladys from Gundam SEED Destiny as well as Karen Joshua from 8th MS team.

Lavina is voiced by Satomi Satou, when she debuted, her major breakthrough role was Ritsu from K-On.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Is there anything likeable about Jo outside of combat?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I dunno, I find the concept of "sadsack whose completely unjustified negative outlook is holding him back" more original and fun than most of the single-trait characters we've seen so far, eg "weird ninja girl" and "slutty girl" and "nerd who doesn't understand emotions" etc.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The problem is that it's way more annoying when it's run into the ground.
Which I don't think it actually is since everyone else's shtick trods all over his in the skits. Also he's rather inconsistent: see the skit immediately afterwards where he's he isn't complaining about being lucky to clean the Headmaster's Room.

As far as I remember aside from this skit the most annoying thing about him is that ridiculous beanie. I used him once but my main Armored Techs were Alexis and DLC/Code characters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Skits and Squad missions are in their own little bubble. Skits are basically random whenever you play a mission or even turn on the game, they are so non-committal because they can happen any time.

Now if you're asking why they are so many, gently caress man I dunno. It's not like they're lacking in the content department if they remove at least half the skits.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
One of the good things about VC1 was the skits and character interaction in them (even the beach episode had some of it aside from standard :japan:-ness) and one of the complaints was that aside from Squad 7's Core there wasn't any about the rest of the squad (aside from DLC.)
VC2 fixed that. In spades since they couldn't/decided not to do it in-engine. It's nice that all of Class G gets their chance in the spotlight. It's a pity that they are what they are though. :negative:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Finally buying that mission, slightly better weapons can wait later. Might as well buy some new lore as well.

Rebels On Move in South Gallia-Newspaper
Rebel forces declared on the 3rd they have taken control of the city of Gote in southern Gallia. The rebels have escalated their attacks in this area since late last year. While they were repelled at Mellvere, almost all of Gote was captured within 10 days.

The rebels have gained a strong foothold in southern Gallia, and offensives on other cities are expected. The government commented that the rebel aggression will not go unanswered, stating that Gote will be retaken in a matter of days.

Oh yeah, that rebel thing. I wonder if that's important or something. Oh well, not as important as this Levi ton cup or something.

Laevatein Cup Draw Complete-Lotte's Insider

Lanseal's Laevatein Cup draw took place on January 1, with each class chair participating. Raymond Moen stood in for Class G's chair. The Preliminary draw was completed after minor issues with lots being crushed. Class C will face Class G first up.

A mock battle between the some groups last month resulted in the worst outcome in history, with all of Class G withdrawing in the first 5 minutes. Will they set revenge this time?

PS. My stomach REALLY hurt that day!

Didn't we just kill a bunch of rebels last month....?

I never thought they'd send cadets off into the field! How did you do it? What was in your head as you fought?

I...Avan, didn't you want to get into the academy after killing a bunch of rebels yourself? Did someone not crosscheck with the writer in January??

Works for me. I was never good with thinking anyway. Okay, let's get to work!

At least he's self-aware?

*someone walks up to him*

What was that just now, Avan?

Hm? Oh, hey, teach. I was Just going back through some of Leon's quotes.

His quotes? Is that what that notebook is?

Yup. I wrote down every bit of advice he ever gave me.

The book was a birthday present from Leon, too. I take it everywhere I go.

I see. You really do feel a great deal of respect for him, don't you?

Heh, you could say that. So, you knew him, right? What was he like? Here at the academy, I mean.

Well, I did know him, yes. I taught his class in years past. He was a star performer at the Laevatein Cup. His squad adored him.

Last year, he used a decoy tactic, then ran in solo to take the enemy's camp. His squad didn't win in the end, but it earned him his spurs around campus.

Wow, he never told me about that. That's awesome!

Lanseal has many talented cadets, but Leon was... special. Too special.

What special mission?

Hmm, interesting.

The headmaster mentioned it. Said Leon was put on it right before he died. I figure if I can find out more about that mission, I might learn what happened.

I'm afraid I don't know anything. Of course, even if I did, all that happens here is classified for security. Even as a cadet, you don't have clearance to know much.

Meanwhile, I doubt you'll learn much of ANYthing if you sleep through class.

Oof....

I expect the other classes may not agree. This is no easy competition, Avan.

And you're saddled with a pack of unmotivated lumps. They are the worst class.

I guess we'll see who the worst class is when they hand out that cup!

Heh heh. I'll be sure to clear my calendar.

Paid missions like the one we just got from the store are on their own category. They're free missions, so thus repeatable for grind and stuff. Be kind of a real bummer to pay 3k for a one-time trip.

There's a poo poo ton of missions available to us, but doing one more will trigger the Laevatein cup story. Not automatically of course, but there's a cut scene that comes with it.

This mission's about killing a specific enemy unit, a new objective type.

A new thing for this mission is a red highlight with a specific name. That is an Enemy Ace that upon death will give us an item part. Oh no no, this ain't VC1 where they just simply give you the item. You gotta grind for it and the material for it, buddy.

3 way map, with the 2nd group designated to get the easier entrance.

A lesson you'll soon learn that I did: Variety doesn't pay well.

Interesting note here is that we could've bought a Constructor Arm for the APC and build a bridge, saving like tons of CP and AP to capture that base. But I had to buy that mission that we're not playing right now. Priorities, priorities....

Zeri's going to make a beeline for that upper left base, maybe killing a star Lancer on the way.

Or at least that was the plan until he dodged the attack. Luckily Lancers can't counterattack so it wasn't a complete disaster, and he captured the base anyway.

Then again, I now have 3 useless units, and more importantly slots, just sitting there that will cost me 1 CP to clear up.

Meanwhile, Lavinia is going to roll down to secure a path for the lower left base.

However, Shocktroopers are making sure she can't proceed any farther lest she explode. APCs are fragile as hell, if you still don't believe me.

Rest of the turn is setting up Shocktroopers to defend the bases I just acquired, as I can take my time on a 3-turn A rank mission.

At the start of turn 2, Erik runs across the map and captures the last base on this map after killing a Scout.

Looks pretty crowded on the way to killing that Lancer commander.

Engineers repairing???

Lavinia pulls off a nice combo of running over a soldier in grass to negate his defense bonus, and then gunning down his head 30 times or so.

Oh yeah, so Lavinia can attack again occasionally after attacking. Not even requiring a kill. She's pretty good.

Anyways, here's Avan as a Lancer because I felt like it.

Here's him doing a headshot with a rocket launcher because he felt like it.

Meanwhile, Helmult snoops around the last map and finds the enemy ace in the grass.

A quick grenade pop and Erik shooting in the head finishes off the cowardly ace.

Zeri's been cleaning up the map and just reached the Lancer commander.

So I was told sandbag crouching doesn't give universal defense, only if they're behind it when firepower hits.

Huh.

...Uh huh.

I see.

"Highlights"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KyMZENoZDg

Engineer uniforms

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Were you aware? Class G is the worst. They are very quirky.

Are they going to say that word for loving word in every cutscene in this entire game?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm glad that, in the face of horrific ethnic violence and civil war, the student's of the Academy are focused on what truly matters. Bragging rights.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hey, here's a thing I'm totally not stalling for the next page.

Behind the Voices

Avan

voiced by

Jason Spisak

Notable roles include:
-Kid Flash of Young Justice
-Kiyomaru Takamine of Zatch Bell
-Ryuho Tairen of s-CRY-ed
-Wilhelm/Hammer of Xenosaga II/III
-Bartz of Dissidia Final Fantasy

Zeri

voiced by

Crispin Freeman

Notable roles include:
-Roy Harper of various DC animations
-Itachi Uchiha of Naruto franchise
-Alucard of Hellsing
-Holland Novak of Eureka 7
-Togusa of Ghost in the Shell
-Sundowner of Metal Gear Revengence
-Albedo/Gaignun of Xenosaga franchise

Cosette

voiced by

Janice Kawaye

Notable roles include:
-Jenny of My Life as a Teenage Robot
-Gi of Captain Planet
-Ayane of various Dead or Alive/Ninja Gaiden franchise
-Ami of Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi

Hubert

voiced by

Tranvis Willingham

Notable roles include:
-Roy Mustang of Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
-Guile of Street Fighter 4
-Knuckles of various recent Sonic games
-All 3 Cell forms of various Dragon Ball Z games

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Stalling? Stalling you say? What a thing to do! :wotwot:.

Incidentally I actually met Crispin Freeman once at a convention in Australia a couple years back, where he was running a small panel on voice acting. He's a really nice dude in-person.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I keep mistaking Hubert's stick for a pair of scissors and it makes him look like a barber.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tae posted:

Hey, here's a thing I'm totally not stalling for the next page.
Have another post then:

My hearing is terrible, and I can't tell voices apart, so voice actor chat eludes me completely ("this non-descript male voice previously voiced characters in some game / anime you've never heard of. Meanwhile, this equally identical male voice, voiced some other characters. Isn't that interesting?")

Buuuuut, even with that as a given, the point of voice actor chat for voices we don't get to hear due to the whole SSLP thing kinda eludes me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xander77 posted:

Have another post then:

My hearing is terrible, and I can't tell voices apart, so voice actor chat eludes me completely ("this non-descript male voice previously voiced characters in some game / anime you've never heard of. Meanwhile, this equally identical male voice, voiced some other characters. Isn't that interesting?")

Buuuuut, even with that as a given, the point of voice actor chat for voices we don't get to hear due to the whole SSLP thing kinda eludes me.

Why do you do that random-youtube thing anyway?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Well, if nothing else, Crispin Freeman and Travis Willingham are not exactly non-descript, they're pretty big names in the industry. Also, yeah, we're not getting a lot of it, but overall the voice work for this game was remarkably good (with the necessary couple exceptions). Zeri and Brixham have a few really good scenes in particular.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cutscenes are still shown in full, and partly VC2 should be noted for the VA's because it is 1) A very large cast with non-minor screentime and 2) playing the game itself, a poo poo ton of scenes are fully voiced.

My last LP, Fire Emblem Awakening, didn't really have much voice work outside of cutscenes and even then maybe topped off at 60 minutes of non-chirp clips. VC2 thus far probably has over an hour of fully voiced scenes and I'm like 1/12th into the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Cutscenes are still shown in full, and partly VC2 should be noted for the VA's because it is 1) A very large cast with non-minor screentime and 2) playing the game itself, a poo poo ton of scenes are fully voiced.

My last LP, Fire Emblem Awakening, didn't really have much voice work outside of cutscenes and even then maybe topped off at 60 minutes of non-chirp clips. VC2 thus far probably has over an hour of fully voiced scenes.

And about 30 seconds of audio clips for effects. Reused throughout the whole game :shepface:.

Hah-hah-Hah :shepicide:.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I remember liking Brixham's voicework for this game.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm not much good at knowing voice actors (...or actors in general), but I recognize Crispin Freeman's name. I think he might have been in Tales of Symphonia.

More interesting is "Gi in Captain Planet." Wow.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh hey Crispin Freeman chat! That gives me an excuse to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0yr8WdYS8M

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Poil posted:

I keep mistaking Hubert's stick for a pair of scissors and it makes him look like a barber.

There's a whole in the world like a great black pit and the vermin of the world inhabit it
and its morals aren't worth what a pig could spit and it goes by the name of Class G...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

There's a whole in the world like a great black pit and the vermin of the world inhabit it
and its morals aren't worth what a pig could spit and it goes by the name of Class G...
Sorry, I don't get the reference at all. :saddowns:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Poil posted:

Sorry, I don't get the reference at all. :saddowns:

Google 'Sweeney Todd.'

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Another lovely thing about this game: you can get special cutscenes that remove some of the poo poo potentials from your characters (and also unlock new missions!) but to do this you have to deploy those characters in a certain number of missions. Have fun grinding this out for EVERY CHARACTER IN THE GAME (except Cosette and Zeri since you get theirs automatically).

To make it worse, I'm pretty sure the game doesn't count it unless you deploy the people you want at the start of a mission, so you can't just cycle your entire roster at a base.

Tae, are you going to be using any of the DLC characters? Some of them are a lot better than what you get to work with normally (the DLC weapons in particular own bones).

Also the tank is only going to get more awesome. Later on you can get combo turrets that have multiple weapons in them!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... But the basic tank turret already has 3 weapons? Or is there one for APCs?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Whoops, I forget to explain that getting classmate missions is done by selecting the specific character a number of times. And just selecting them counts, because I certainly didn't play a mission 10 times to unlock nichol's first scene.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Don't they have to actually do something? Kill a solider, capture a base, etc? I remember it being something like that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Clarste posted:

Don't they have to actually do something? Kill a solider, capture a base, etc? I remember it being something like that.
That's to get credits.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I guess one good thing about running a military school in a place like Gallia is that everyone already knows how to use guns and explosives by the time their eligible to attend.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Man, I couldn't even finish this game. The multi-map design was such a huge step down and the story didn't make powering throw that worth it.

Thanks for doing this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Anastasiya posted:

I recognize Crispin Freeman's name. I think he might have been in Tales of Symphonia.

He was Regal, yeah. Really, if you've seen anything anime-related at all from the past ~20 years, he was probably in it at some point. Dude has had a lot of roles.

• Locked thread