Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

well if we're doing the tour it's got to stop here as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=penAy3JrXws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
yeah well that juno 106 is fixed!

if you see one for cheap (or you have one) that displays either of the following:
- stuck note
- stuck vcf cutoff or resonance
- weird amp/filter behavior

its most probably a cheap and easy fix!

unsolder all the 80017A epoxy dipped ceramic hybrids and let them soak in pure acetone, check them every 24 hours and peel off the epoxy with tweezers and a box cutter until theyre decapped

you can optionally reflow the solder on the exposed ICs

solder them back on and most probably it will work fine (100% of the time from experience)

plan B is to buy a clone for the chips that are still exhibiting problems at 70$ per chip which isnt that bad if you solder them on yourself

considering acetone is 10$ for a gallon and you probably have everything else its risk free if you can find a "broken" one for cheap

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
guys, guys

eurorack module consisting of a pair of contact mikes and a rotatable hourglass like container of water

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

holy poo poo and it'd be like the game of operation except it could come out with a spring release and have a central pivot point to rotate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S-Ti1Aqx1c

:circlefap:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Unless posted:

holy poo poo and it'd be like the game of operation except it could come out with a spring release and have a central pivot point to rotate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S-Ti1Aqx1c

:circlefap:

Actually, counterweights and a timed series of electromagnetic inductors to flip it over when all the water has poured into the presently lower half, but yeah

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
modulars: they don't call it doepfer nothin'

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I've been kinda playing with the idea of selling my korg mono/poly and start building a modular system. it seems like suuuch a rabbit hole to go down, tho... not sure if I should

first I'll sell the korg, then I'll sell my computer, then eventually my mom etcetc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wanna get a keyboard for children to learn to play. gotta be appropriate as a digital piano or whatever but would love midi out so I can control pc with it

does such a thing exist

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

echinopsis posted:

wanna get a keyboard for children to learn to play. gotta be appropriate as a digital piano or whatever but would love midi out so I can control pc with it

does such a thing exist

yeah, tons. if all you want is preset sounds then there a lots.
get a synth, so they can learn basic synthesis as well B) (and the real reason: so you can play with it in the studio)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gettig a real synth is going cost significantly more . it would be sweet but it's not really the point

plus I kinda want them to learn to play the piano not be the next funkdoobiest

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

who needs to play when you can program?

(wish I learned how to play the keys.. guess it's never too late!)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
piano is like the best instrument almost. certainly most flexible

elton john..... novermber rain..... the list goes on

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

it's fun to play even tho you don't know how, as well. fun making up little melodies 'n stuff.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

echinopsis posted:

gettig a real synth is going cost significantly more . it would be sweet but it's not really the point

plus I kinda want them to learn to play the piano not be the next funkdoobiest

they'll get bored with it, and end up resenting you, way less easily if there are knobs to twist and weird sounds to make. 400 or 500$ or what ever for, like, a used motiff would give them a solid keyboard, good piano sounds and fun after they're done with their lovely piano lessons.

if you insist on being a lovely dad, though, probably 100-200$ will get you a used casio privia or the yamaha or roland equivalent

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

motif doesn't have an immediate enough interface, imo. if I'd get a synth aimed at children I'd make sure it was:

- polyphonic
- had tons of buttons and sliders that only did one thing

that's it, really. but like echo said, synths are more expensive than keyboards. but I agree they might find the synthesis part as much fun, if not more than just playing.

I guess you could also learn a bit about basic electronics thru synthesis?

man I love synths. I should play with one right now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat poo poo in this country usually costs most but instruments fuckolads more. a cheap second hand privia is like $700

the thing is, i have ableton on the computer. if they want the saounds they can do waht they want.. midi out is esential

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i wish id goeten guitar lessons rather than being left to my own devices

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

just out of curiosity, how old are the kids?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

echinopsis posted:

drat poo poo in this country usually costs most but instruments fuckolads more. a cheap second hand privia is like $700

the thing is, i have ableton on the computer. if they want the saounds they can do waht they want.. midi out is esential

they can also use ableton for piano samples.

poo poo, if you ain't gonna hardware synth, get a bc2000 for a knob box and whatever for a keyboard controller.

or be super awesome and get, like, a harmonic table keyboard.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just turned 4 and 6

drums would kinda be first choice but no room in this place

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

hell yes, all my life I've wanted to have a drum set set up (my dad's a drummer), but we rarely had the living spaces for it. it's one of the reasons I really want a house when I'm eventually buying something for myself. that and being able to crank up my speakers in general when working in the studio.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Sizone posted:

they can also use ableton for piano samples.

poo poo, if you ain't gonna hardware synth, get a bc2000 for a knob box and whatever for a keyboard controller.

or be super awesome and get, like, a harmonic table keyboard.

heck you know even a midi keyboard and an iPad will get you a long way. there are probably a lot of apps for the iPad for learning how to play the piano, as well! midi keyboards with no knobs or anything are dirt cheap, and can probably even be powered thru the iPad.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um

hmm

ipad for learning paino

QWOP for learning to walk?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

just turned 4 and 6

get a handsonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibVW2dYeS0g

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

echinopsis posted:

just turned 4 and 6

I got my 1 y/o a yamaha dd-55 to bang on. they sound good, the pads are decent and there are pedals for bd and hh. I may or may not have adorable photos of her pounding on it with a spatula

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that handsconic looks mean but a bit out of the range of waht i was looking at paying :qq:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

modulars: they don't call it doepfer nothin'

eurorack more like eurocrack

doepfer is pronounced approximately "depp-fer"

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

dope fur, my fursona

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

echinopsis posted:

does such a thing exist

For your children, get a real upright piano. They can often be found for free on Craigslist in every metropolitan area if you can organize moving it. Kids learning on digital pianos make me sad.

For yourself, get a keyboard with fully weighted keys, hammer action, and aftertouch. Those are the three key things to have a keyboard feel like a piano.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

re: upright pianos, physically check at your local habitat for humanity ReStore if the internet fails you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why is it sad

now i want digital drums

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
might go to msuic shop 2day and fiddle

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
i want a midi out drum kit too. . . but i have too much, must not buy more.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

might go to msuic shop 2day and fiddle

i hope that doesnt mean its bring your kid to work day

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

that handsconic looks mean but a bit out of the range of waht i was looking at paying :qq:

i got my hpd-15 used from mf, it was still $500 though

one thing they don't really show there is that you can get a kick trigger and hi hat pedal and play it like an actual drumset, which rules. i may sell my hpd-15 and get the hpd-20 when i'm in the states next

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Hate to repeat, but the DD-xxs are really good and under 100$. They also have built in accompaniments that sound mostly like that light Japanese jazz that was the soundtrack for every racing game between 1999 and 2005

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
under $100??

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Sizone posted:

guys, guys

eurorack module consisting of a pair of contact mikes and a rotatable hourglass like container of water

get in touch with Gieskes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWAC3iQRDQM

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

that reminds me my electone has an analog hiss i need to figure out the cause of

and one of the instrument preset buttons doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I want to use my synthesizer but the dog is on my lap sleeping help

• Locked thread